Which pet skills

Options
mountainman
mountainman Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Venomancer
I have a froggling and a crystal magmite (golem). The golem came with 2 skills and the frog with 3. Which skills are the best for each given there are 4 skills slots? In other words given an infinite amount of money to buy skills which would be the best for each?

Thanks
Post edited by mountainman on

Comments

• demise
    demise Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It's really up to you on what you feel is best. Since you have the Crystal Magmite, you'll want to add Tough to it's arsenal, at least that is a must. If you also want it to solely tank for you, you can drop Sandblow, add Threaten and maybe Boost.

Threaten reduces the target's attack damage. And Boost allows the pet to restore HP, but not as much as compared to a venomancer's pet heal. You can also consider adding Roar if your build has a tendency to pull aggro off your pet or to help a bit in parties if a member pulls unnecessary aggro to themselves.

Pierce - Reduces the target's physical defense.
    Shrill - Interrupts the target's casting.
    Howl - Reduces the target's magic defense.

Are also good choices for your golem and/or frog.
  • mountainman
    mountainman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Thanks. I have a light armor build on my veno and use exclusively armor attacks. I only really pull an aggro if my pet is getting attacked by more then one in which case I kite until my pet has cleaned up its own mess and comes to help out. I figure for the most part I'd use my frog against magical mobs and my golem against physical mobs based on their respective defenses. The frog skills make sense. My frog currently has shrill and boost. Also one called mist or something that gives wood damage. Not to impressed by that one. I'll likely give it howl and either keep mist or change out for another physical attack.

As for the golem what do roar and tough do? (I'm assuming tough adds physical defense?) Any other attack skills worthwhile? Fireball? Icicle? Since I use my pets exclusively as tanks does it not make sense to have attack spells? I tended to like bleed that my wolf had.

Since pet skills cost so much its tough to play around with them and get a feel. That's why I appreciate the help and answers so much.
  • demise
    demise Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Tough reduces the amount of damage taken for a period of time. (regardless of it being physical or magical damage) Roar attracts a monsters aggro to the pet, so you can have the pet tank multiple mobs when you're overwhelmed (so you won't have to kite too much especially if it's a ranged mob), if you crit with your light armor or need to take the mobs off a party member so they don't die (occasionally clerics in parties).

The rest like Icicle are elemental bashes, they can work too. And your pet should have at least Bash or Roar if it's tanking to hold aggro, at least 1 attack skill that can maintain it even if it just tanks. I think Shrill can generate enough to hold aggro as well, not 100% sure on that.

Your golem could have:
    Bash, Roar, Flesh Ream and Tough. (Flesh Ream is just for additional damage at Twilight Temple solo runs.) or
    Bash, Roar, (elemental skill) and Tough.

Your frog could have:
    Shrill, Tough, Bash and for the last slot:
    Threaten(for bosses that do both)
    Roar(if you're timing your attacks with your pet instead of solely healing, in case you take aggro off)
    Boost (if you really feel your pet would need the additional HP; this skill only goes to level 3.)
    Elemental skill to fill in the last slot, like the metal attack for wood magic mobs.

And here's a site that might help as well: http://pw-wiki.onlinewelten.com/Pet%20Guide%20-%20Pet%20Skills.ashx
    Though the some of names are from a different version, icons are the same.
    And some of the skills that aren't available at Mrs. Zoologist or her hubby are rare and only available from the level 60 Temple of the Dragon event or I've heard from the arena but I can't confirm on the latter.