My Build needs help

thunderchurch
thunderchurch Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Cleric
I'm playing a level 26 Cleric and I've reached a point where I think I'm going to have to restart.

Everything I come in contact with as far as the quests for my level go pretty much kills me or brings me so close to death it becomes a toss up whether I'll survive or not.

Here are my current unbuffed stats:

VIT 36 / hp 860
MAG 82 / MANA 1963
STR 17
DEX 15

MAG ATTK 342-399
PHY DEF 188

My resistances are in the 1k+ area with mage armor.

What I've been trying to do is raise my MAG skill high enough so that I can kill just about everything before it gets to me. Well that was the idea anyways... Unfortunately, that has not been the case lately. I do fine against magic attacks, but if the monster is a physical attacker, I go down really hard.

I still havent done an FB yet. Do you get a good weapon from that? I'm currenlty using the npc equipment I buy. Current DMG of the weapon I have is 138-169 MAG.

My thought is to start pumping my VIT. I don't know if it's low for my level, but I seem to be doing okay for *doing* damage so my HP needs some serious love.

Any advice? Or maybe you can shed some light on whether I should just start over... Level 26 is painful. I've died a half dozen times and don't seem to be getting any closer to 27... ):
Post edited by thunderchurch on

Comments

• thom
    thom Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Your first mistake: Using npc bought equips. Those are really bad equips, do Crafting to get at least 2* items. Makes wonders.

Second mistake: Dont stand still. Kite the physical mobs.

First 30lvls in this game is just the tutorial, after that monsters and all get a lot tougher the more you lvl up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • ett
    ett Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I'm about the same lv as you, VIT 35, MAG 70+, STR 21 DEX 21, HP 900+, MP1800+. I dont remember the exact number. I don't find the game hard at all, nor that I'd say I found it easy. I can go head to head with Werewolf Spearman without that much of a problem.

I buff and pre heal then use DOT skill for the 1st attack, then cyclone and move away, then spam plume shot, then cyclone again if need. Pretty much a starndard tactic I've been using, works well so far. Alternative to that is to just find a group of meatshield and let them do the hard work while you hang back and heal them. Grouping is way better in this game anyway, imo.

This guy told me, "if the poo poo get too hot. Jump and fly away, you have wings for a freakin' reason". Don't take my words for it though, I'm pretty much a noob as well.
  • thunderchurch
    edited October 2008
    Ya as far as fight style goes, there aren't many options there. Thunderball, elemental seal then cyclone and plume shot over and over until dead. There's not much room for variation there so thats not the problem.

I'm not saying the game is hard, on the contrary. My problem is that I don't think I've built this Cleric properly and I'm looking for clarification or advice.

I checked the stats on the craft armor and its the same as npc bought armor so I must be missing something. Where does one *get* better armor or *make* better armor. And I'm not buying anything from shops either.

Yes finding a few meat sheilds would be nice but the xp is **** when you have everyone killing the same one target.

I've tried kitting, its not easy in this game and as a mage. Not only are the powering up times a deterent to kitting but running away from a fight doesnt gurantee you wont get hit. In fact, you will get hit at least one more time. And if you run too far, they regen and you're sol.

I don't want to raise my STR and DEX just to wear higher AL armor. ett, with your stats you can likely handle another 3-4 hits before you go down. I can't.

C'mon guys...
  • irok
    irok Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    i'm new to this game too, planning to get a cleric, thinking of making a full Mana cleric, i don't know it would be a nice help, i think cleric in other games usually need Full MANA for their buffs and all, put str for just requirement i gues,, i don't know how do you ppl think abt it?
  • thom
    edited October 2008
    Ya as far as fight style goes, there aren't many options there. Thunderball, elemental seal then cyclone and plume shot over and over until dead. There's not much room for variation there so thats not the problem.

I'm not saying the game is hard, on the contrary. My problem is that I don't think I've built this Cleric properly and I'm looking for clarification or advice.

I checked the stats on the craft armor and its the same as npc bought armor so I must be missing something. Where does one *get* better armor or *make* better armor. And I'm not buying anything from shops either.

Yes finding a few meat sheilds would be nice but the xp is **** when you have everyone killing the same one target.

I've tried kitting, its not easy in this game and as a mage. Not only are the powering up times a deterent to kitting but running away from a fight doesnt gurantee you wont get hit. In fact, you will get hit at least one more time. And if you run too far, they regen and you're sol.

I don't want to raise my STR and DEX just to wear higher AL armor. ett, with your stats you can likely handle another 3-4 hits before you go down. I can't.

C'mon guys...

Crafting can give you 2 star or 3 star items,its all luck and random. The stats you see at the npc are for 1 star item. Thats what makes the difference. Also crafted items get additional magic bonuses and possibly some sockets.

Kiting never guarantees that you wont get a single hit, it just keeps the hits lower compared to standing still usually.

Have you upgraded your skills at trainer? Those help a lot too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • ett
    ett Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I've never craft anything yet, all the stuff I'm using atm are from player shop. There're some real bargains out there, my armor is 2 star, bonus hp+ and 2 sockets, i paid..dunno 5k for it i think. I also using the FB19 wand as well.
  • thunderchurch
    edited October 2008
    Thanks thom for clarifying the crafting situation. I did come across that doing some backpost reading in the crafting section. So basically you're buying standard armor but using the crafting skill for a chance at upgrades. Got it. Assimilated and I'm going to give it a try.

I have been upgrading my skills, they are currently:

Thunderball: 2
    Elemental Seal: 2
    Cyclone: 5
    Plume Shot: 5

The armor and jewelry I'm using are mostly found actually. While they are base npc stats, mostly, some of them do have some bonuses I rely on like +vit and +HP/MP. None of them have sockets however.

So is the general concensus that my armor and weapon need upgrading and that the build is fine for the level?
  • thom
    edited October 2008
    Thanks thom for clarifying the crafting situation. I did come across that doing some backpost reading in the crafting section. So basically you're buying standard armor but using the crafting skill for a chance at upgrades. Got it. Assimilated and I'm going to give it a try.

I have been upgrading my skills, they are currently:

Thunderball: 2
    Elemental Seal: 2
    Cyclone: 5
    Plume Shot: 5

The armor and jewelry I'm using are mostly found actually. While they are base npc stats, mostly, some of them do have some bonuses I rely on like +vit and +HP/MP. None of them have sockets however.

So is the general concensus that my armor and weapon need upgrading and that the build is fine for the level?

Well i've never played a cleric but looks to me to be okay. Jewelry can easily be just the quest rewards or found items,they are good enough usually. Try to make armors and weapons better.

Also stack yourself with Ironheart when soloing and you should be able to regen the damage away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-