Help - Wizard Builds

slytherdemon12
slytherdemon12 Posts: 1 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Wizard
I recently just downloaded PWI, and I decided to try a wizard. I know (I have played a million other MMORPGs) That I should havre Int, for MP and spell damage, but I don't know exactly what skill points and stat points would be good for a First character as Wizard, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Wizard - DemonSlyther - Lvl 8
Archer - Sentaijoja
Post edited by slytherdemon12 on

Comments

• youngsly
    youngsly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    teabagg wrote: »
    if u want full dmg with magic put it all in magic,Or 4 to magic 1 to vit each lvl.Add stuff to str and dex for armor and weapon requirements.My MP is triple my vit but im not a full mag user since i have 19 in str,22 or 24 dex..24 or 25 in vit and rest in magic.My armors and such give me HP with the use of stones in the sockets.I do alot of quest on my own and alot i meen ALOT of farming so i tend to need more hp.
    Ok forget whatever that person just told you. it is wrong.
    you will wait till u hav 10 stats THEN distribute.
    STAT BUILD: every 2 level stat allocation
    Pure: 1 strength, 9 magic
    Hybrid:1 strength, 2 vitality, 7 magic
    Light Armor: 2 strength, 2 dexterity, 6 magic
    these are the only build u can chose for a mage don't listen to what anybody else say.
    just pick one and go with it. any questions just ask.
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    youngsly wrote: »
    you will wait till u hav 10 stats THEN distribute.
    STAT BUILD: every 2 level stat allocation
    Pure: 1 strength, 9 magic
    Hybrid:1 strength, 2 vitality, 7 magic
    Light Armor: 2 strength, 2 dexterity, 6 magic
    these are the only build u can chose for a mage don't listen to what anybody else say.
    just pick one and go with it. any questions just ask.

So what you're saying is to save up your 5 stat points every second level so you can allocate 10 at a time o.O

No thanks.

For pure int on odd levels add 1 to strength otherwise all into magic.

Hybrid odd levels add 1 strength, otherwise 1 to vit per level the rest magic.

Light armor every level 1 str, 1 dex and 3 magic. You dont always need to add dex/str. New armor is available usually at levels:
    x0 Shirt
    x3 pants
    x4 wrists
    x6 boots
    So you can afford to skip allocating str/dex some levels in favor of extra magic damage.
    Here's a general micromanagement guide
    Level
    x1 +5 magic
    x2 +1 dex +4 magic
    x3 +2 dex + 3 str
    x4 +1 str +1 dex +3 magic
    x5 +5 magic
    x6 +2 str +2 dex +1 magic
    x7 +5 magic
    x8 +1str +1 dex +3 magic
    x9 +1 str +1 dex +3 magic
    x0 +2 str +2 dex +1 magic

To micromanage even more special note should be made to the levels where your dex approaches the new +1% crit breakpoints. Every 20 points of dex will give you an extra 1% so for levels 14,34,54,74,94,114,134 do the following:
    +1 str +3 dex +1 magic
    levels 16,36,56,76,96,116,136 become
    +2 str +3 magic.

Also if you have any +dex enhancing gear try and work that in with the stat allocations to get to the nearest 20 dex.

Edit: I just read that the first 15 points of dex give you and extra 1% then every 20 points thereafter. Can anyone confirm this?
    I like pie
  • xenicide
    xenicide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Well the every 10 points is just to make it easier to under stand.

But what are the exact numbers for a pure int?
    By using the general tip at level 100 you got 50 stength and 450 magic.

So is it always 10% in steanght for wep requirement or a little less?
  • Mrbungle - Lost City
    Mrbungle - Lost City Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    i recommend you not NOT to go for a hybrid build.
    in the other version i did it this way, but a hybrid doesnt have enough hp to survive when hit and he has to low magic to kill sth before it reaches you.

now im pure int and its much easier now (ye i know im only 22 but i know what awaits me).
    just learn how to kite
  • o0area0o
    o0area0o Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    A good build if you want pure magic attack damage output is just put in enough strength in to get magic weapon and then place the rest into mag, cause whats the point of placing into other stats if wizards have a low HP anyway and letting the enemy close to hit you or interrupt your casting, so what im saying if the enemy cant get too you why put stats in other places and maximize your own damage output. b:victory
  • devil6
    devil6 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    It sounds to me like a usual rpg the wisard sucks up close so dont get close right?
  • euki7
    euki7 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    yup,, max range, kite, slow with water if u need...kite more

KILL

the end.

So i'm going with the 0.5str 4 int per level (aka 9int 1 str every 2)

but my question is ....whats best skills wise?

Whats worth using SP on and what isnt?

fire for its fast attacks? earth for its high hitting attacks, or water for its status attacks?

or a combo of all 3 so that i can attack mobbs of all elementS?
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    euki7 wrote: »
    yup,, max range, kite, slow with water if u need...kite more

KILL

the end.

So i'm going with the 0.5str 4 int per level (aka 9int 1 str every 2)

but my question is ....whats best skills wise?

Whats worth using SP on and what isnt?

fire for its fast attacks? earth for its high hitting attacks, or water for its status attacks?

or a combo of all 3 so that i can attack mobbs of all elementS?

I say definately max all the 3 starting elemental attacks (pyro,gush and rock fall) as soon as you can, they are the bread and butter of a Wizard especially gush.

For the other skills it depends on which sever you're playing on if its PvE then I'd do the following
    leave at level 1:
    Distance shrink, this will still allow you to tele away from casting mobs effectively

Pitfall, and good finishing spell if left at level 1 for minimal man usage.

Sandstorm, the reduced accuracy is nice but again you should aim to not get hit. Its a hard hitting spell but is more expensive to level than divine pyro.

Force of will, expensive to level but still very useful at level 1 as it will make the mob run away from you.

Pyroshield, only useful vs a few mobs and bosses, HP regen not that effective
    Crown of flame, could be subbed for pitfall as a finisher.

Will of the pheonix, range(10) is constant but the knockback distance increases with level as does damage, its not a super powerful spell more useful for the knockback only.

Hail storm, useless.

Emberstorm, dangerous for your health.

Optionals
    Morning dew. Depends on how often you solo or find yourself needing to assist the cleric in parties or even how often you party with only melee characters. I find soloing level 2 to be sufficient depending on how many HP gems you have equipped and whether you use a HP charm(healing yourself before you get below 50%)

Frostblade. Completely party based. A good chi builder though especially when left at level 1 for lower mana usage.

Dragons Breath. Depends on whether you want to AoE. If you do leave it at level 1 until you plan to join aoe parties then bump to 5 (Some parties will let you in at around level 55)

Stone barrier. If you want to run FB29 parties then max this and be the tank with the help of a cleric. You should be able to tank pretty well starting at level 40.

Water shield. The mana regen is helpful but in combat situations you overall mana regen is reduced by a factor of 5. (there is about a 5 second delay after a kill before you go into peace mode, your portrait background will be glowing while in combat mode)

What to MAX.
    Divine Pyro. A good opening spell against all but except fire based mobs. Can be switched for Sandstorm if you want but Div pyro is cheaper. Not worth casting any other time except as an opening spell as you will do more damage per second using a pyro/gush combo. (You dont really need to max this if you are going to use glacial snare as your new opening spell)

Galcial snare. 80% slow is very useful and should become your new opening spell (its still pretty useful even against water mobs for the slow effect).

All the masteries. Basically its a mana efficient way of increasing the damage of all your spells. Prioritise whichever element you find yourself using most often.

And like I said above max pyro,gush and rockfall.

I cant comment that well in the pvp side of things as my Lost City toon is a couple of levels of that yet.
    But from what I've gathered from reading other guides: (plus a little bit of my own ponderings)
    Max stone barrier
    Max distance shrink? (its not all that useful in the air)
    Max Sandstorm? for its reduce accuracy plus high damage output.
    Max Force of will? level one is good for interupting spells but the casting is 2 secs and the seal lasts for 2.3 secs which gives you only 0.3 secs headstart on your next skill. Levelling increases seal time by 0.3 secs and decreases cooldown time by 1 sec. Seems win to me on paper.
    Max Will of the Pheonix? Quick channeling and casting and better damage than pyrogram but no knockback in pvp and not great range.

Can anyone with some pvp experience elaborate please :D
    I like pie
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Distance shrink is good no matter what terrain. It moves you the 25 meters land air or water.

Sandstorm is your best spammable high damage skill. If you're worried about spending MP, you aren't choosing the right class. Divine pyrogram is only useful when you use it with sutra because of its low cast time. My divine pyrogram is still level 1 but I'll probably be leveling it soon.

Force of will does seem useless at the beginning but its a great interrupt skill and once leveled is superb to get a couple of attacks in while they're sealed. If anything at level 1 it throws off the other persons "flow".

Will of phoenix is a great skill and is the one I'm always waiting for to be off of cool down in PvP. Because of this skill I will try to get a close range fight with almost any ranged user. Though with melees of course you don't want to run up to them but they will get close to you eventually, and this is the spell you should be looking for when they do.
  • joaocota
    joaocota Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    i really want to know the better build , i already have to create a new wiz because the first one sucked !
    plz someone pm me :)
  • Cryxtal - Sanctuary
    Cryxtal - Sanctuary Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    bish! bish!
    Love Is Complicated.
    「愛は複雑だ.」
    Amor es muy complicado.
    《爱是复杂的》

Do not argue with an idiot, he will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience. b:bye
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I say definately max all the 3 starting elemental attacks (pyro,gush and rock fall) as soon as you can, they are the bread and butter of a Wizard especially gush.

For the other skills it depends on which sever you're playing on if its PvE then I'd do the following
    leave at level 1:
    Distance shrink, this will still allow you to tele away from casting mobs effectively

Sandstorm, the reduced accuracy is nice but again you should aim to not get hit. Its a hard hitting spell but is more expensive to level than divine pyro.

Force of will, expensive to level but still very useful at level 1 as it will make the mob run away from you.

Will of the pheonix, range(10) is constant but the knockback distance increases with level as does damage, its not a super powerful spell more useful for the knockback only.

Hail storm, useless.

Optionals
    Morning dew. Depends on how often you solo or find yourself needing to assist the cleric in parties or even how often you party with only melee characters. I find soloing level 2 to be sufficient depending on how many HP gems you have equipped and whether you use a HP charm(healing yourself before you get below 50%)

Frostblade. Completely party based. A good chi builder though especially when left at level 1 for lower mana usage.

Dragons Breath. Depends on whether you want to AoE. If you do leave it at level 1 until you plan to join aoe parties then bump to 5 (Some parties will let you in at around level 55)

Stone barrier. If you want to run FB29 parties then max this and be the tank with the help of a cleric. You should be able to tank pretty well starting at level 40.

Water shield. The mana regen is helpful but in combat situations you overall mana regen is reduced by a factor of 5. (there is about a 5 second delay after a kill before you go into peace mode, your portrait background will be glowing while in combat mode)

What to MAX.
    Divine Pyro. A good opening spell against all but except fire based mobs. Can be switched for Sandstorm if you want but Div pyro is cheaper. Not worth casting any other time except as an opening spell as you will do more damage per second using a pyro/gush combo. (You dont really need to max this if you are going to use glacial snare as your new opening spell)

Galcial snare. 80% slow is very useful and should become your new opening spell (its still pretty useful even against water mobs for the slow effect).

All the masteries. Basically its a mana efficient way of increasing the damage of all your spells. Prioritise whichever element you find yourself using most often.

I cant comment that well in the pvp side of things as my Lost City toon is a couple of levels of that yet.
    But from what I've gathered from reading other guides: (plus a little bit of my own ponderings)
    Max stone barrier
    Max Force of will? level one is good for interupting spells but the casting is 2 secs and the seal lasts for 2.3 secs which gives you only 0.3 secs headstart on your next skill. Levelling increases seal time by 0.3 secs and decreases cooldown time by 1 sec. Seems win to me on paper.
    Max Will of the Pheonix? Quick channeling and casting and better damage than pyrogram but no knockback in pvp and not great range.

You're either at work, at school... or (i feel bad for you here) you hit all 30 stops on WQ?

...anyways listen to Ty he's legit b:victory
  • blackrabbit0
    blackrabbit0 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2009

leave at level 1:

Hail storm, useless.

Optionals

What to MAX.

Max stone barrier

I have a totally noob question but this is my first time playing,
    where do i buy the skills for a wziard ?
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    The wizard trainer located in etherblade, walled stronghold, Archosaur and various other major towns and cities.

In etherblade one trainer is near a waterfall and the other is on the cliff near the teleporter's ledge.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.