crafting materials too difficult to obtain.

Jin_nique - Heavens Tear
Jin_nique - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Suggestion Box
I think that, as suggested by the title, that crafting materials are very difficult to obtain because the things appear kinda randomly and are give you very little for each harvest. Perhaps the materials can be marked out on the map so that they are easier to spot? Unless this is deliberate so that frustrated players would just spend some cash to get it from the boutique. Well, I do hope that's not the case.
You can take the soldier out of the fight,
but you can't take the fight outta the soldier!

-Jin_Nique
Post edited by Jin_nique - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Kitsuvix - Sanctuary
    Kitsuvix - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I agree. There should be given more mats with each harvesting spot. You need 300 herbs or so for the first level of apothecary, and you only get like... 2/3 per harvesting. Same goes for the other skills.

Please make more harvesting spots and/or make it so that each spot gives more mats. Or just make more clusters XD.
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    Myish - Sanctuary Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    here's a cool idea: if you are within a certain proximity of a material, say if you have a "item detector" maybe a little arrow will pop up :D

dunno if that'll work but its a start!

PLEASE DON"T MAKE IT CASH SHOP ONLY LOL
    b:cold*
    b:faint (Sub Zero!)
  • cyanr
    cyanr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Well, if it has those traits in game. It would defeat the purpose of the game.

It'd also be much easier for players though, if everytime your Apothecary Levels up, you'd gain an extra bonus of herbs everytime you harvest one. Which would only make sense, since you are improving your skills in the mixing potions.
    Human intelligence, personifies human incompetence.
    Inarguably, pessimistic, lost caged instinct euphoria.
    Thee who see without knowing, the vague sentence.
  • Zolaren - Sanctuary
    Zolaren - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Actually, I find it OK ... until I need to go up a Manufacturing level. When you need a lot of mats just to do some crafting for experience - that's when I find it's a problem.

I think just having an option to 'Apprentice' or something - basically at the Tailor/Blacksmith/etc, have an option where you do some crafting for them - doesn't cost anything and you don't make anything - but say for every minute you work, you get 5% experience in that trade. Quit at anytime, or automatically when you hit 100%.

Another nice option would be to simply allow trading one mat for another. Say trade 2 Pig Iron for 1 Log.
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    edited October 2008
    I've seen a material dealer in some towns, is there a function later in the game for these dudes or is it just some random quest? If they do plan on doing the trading method, they should pack it on this guys.

Possible trading scheme (some examples, not extensive):

2 salvia roots >> 1 nectar
    2 pig iron >> 1 log
    2 logs >> 1 animal fur or cotton thread (or whatever it was called)
    etc.

Then there should be a coin for material trade system available also.

200 coins/log

or something (but obivously the game creator's auction system would fall apart from this idea so... This is just a hypothetical scinario.
  • Treppe - Heavens Tear
    Treppe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Personally, I find it odd that there are Materials Dealers in the major cities, yet they serve no actual purpose. It's just like the pop-up once you reach level 10 telling you that World Chat is now available and makes no mention of Teleacoustics, only a one-off 1000 coin fee to remove a one-message-per-30-seconds limit.

While I don't mind the whole World Chat thing, selling crafting materials through the cash shop - when they were all-but-certainly meant to be sold by ingame NPCs originally - is honestly one of the pettiest attempts at money-grabbing that I've seen in any MMORPG to date, and one that only serves to completely **** up the ingame materials economy.

Haha...ha... I was going to have to vent that somewhere eventually. = p
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    edited October 2008
    b:pleased I'm happy someone said it. I totally agree.
  • missmisa
    missmisa Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    While I don't mind the whole World Chat thing, selling crafting materials through the cash shop - when they were all-but-certainly meant to be sold by ingame NPCs originally - is honestly one of the pettiest attempts at money-grabbing that I've seen in any MMORPG to date, and one that only serves to completely **** up the ingame materials economy.

It's really truly hard for me to get mats, even more so now THEY have set their price for them.. they're no longer cheap and affordable, and leveling up skills is a lot more trouble than its worth.

Here's what it costs to make one standard level 5 armor... judging by the fact I can't buy any of them for 1k, I'll assume all mats have a value of 2.5k or higher

2x Silk Thread 5000
    2x Purified Oil 5000
    2x Coal (free if you look, 4k if you buy)

So there we have it, one hard rim muslim =14k
    And depending on what your making, you'll spend another 4-5k on the other materials.

So it costs over 20k to make one lvl 4 or 5 armor. And if it's no good, you'll keep trying to make it.
    20k +20k+20k+20k

And you have to keep doing this over and over with every new armor to get something close to good

Now lets take a look at what it costs to make me a katar I want

2 Copper bars :
    4x Rough fur with value over 8k quite obviously as I cant buy them 1k
    4x Concentrated glues: 10k (everyone I've spoken to wants at least 2.5k per...)
    I can't remember the last material, its either steel or coal, lets assume coal.
    4x coal - 8k

Total price for 2 copper bars as base? a whopping 26k!

BUT THATS NOT THE END OF IT

Katars use up alot of oil, the pair I want are 9 purified oils in addition to 2 copper bars..

9 purified oils.. thats almost 20k extra....

In short, everytime I try to make 3star of these katar, it costs me nearly 50k worth in materials..

Let's say it took me 7 or 8 tries.. if I'm lucky it costs me 350k-400k to make the pair I want..

and here's the question, is this acceptable for a weapon upgrade? HELL NO. that's $4 worth just for a new weapon ! sure it may look like nothing to you, but what about when you need to upgrade again? it just adds and adds up and on top of repair money and skill money and the need to make other EQ, crafting your own is more a weight on your shoulder than a weight off. I'm going to be so ****ed when I have my aware of harmony and all my skills i need to level up.

I'm not saying crafting is no good, but it should be cheaper than it currently is. Why do I want to spend 50k on a piece of **** npc look alike item? Make the mats cheaper or increase the drop rate, it's all I'm asking.
  • _minta_ - Heavens Tear
    _minta_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    actually if u more grind not do quests u can get those mats without buying
    if u need herbs, find a place were r many herbs and train there, so u can grind and gather mats at same time and they appear again pretty often
  • Jin_nique - Heavens Tear
    Jin_nique - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Personally, I find it odd that there are Materials Dealers in the major cities, yet they serve no actual purpose. It's just like the pop-up once you reach level 10 telling you that World Chat is now available and makes no mention of Teleacoustics, only a one-off 1000 coin fee to remove a one-message-per-30-seconds limit.

Duh. I totally agree. Now you'll have players knocking up their mat prices because "They're selling in the Boutique. If you don't wanna pay my price go there." :(
    b:shocked
    You can take the soldier out of the fight,
    but you can't take the fight outta the soldier!

-Jin_Nique
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    edited October 2008
    I think buying mats from the cash shop is pretty useless at low levels (from 1-30). I've been crafting consistantly and I'm lvl 28 now and I regularly get the mats i need from keeping an eye out for mats as I go. Just don't worry about crafting at low levels. What I do is if I can't craft the right equipment for my level, I buy it at the store (for not that much in general) and eventually as you progress you will get more mats to catch up. I wouldn't get to worked up on this cause crafting's not essential to the game's progression though you do get some fancy stuff later in the game.

In short, if you don't have the mats, don't waste money buying it at rediculous prices from CS or other players. Try to continue without them and as you level, those mobs that do drop the right mats you need (such as rough fur) will be easier to kill. Then when you hit lvl 30, you get a flying mount which liberates you to search for mats hours on end easily. Before lvl 30, armors and weapons can be bought at the tailor or blacksmith for relatively cheap (as long as you havn't already blown all ur money on mats from other players ;) )

Keep in mind that I'm not telling you to completely forget about collecting mats. as other players have stated before, you want to always be vigilant for materials that may be lying around even in the most random locations. You got to keep stocking up but don't let it become a priority unless you really want to set aside several hours to farm mats (which I have occasionally when I'm doing homework cause you don't really need to place a lot of attention on it). I find material hunting to be quite relaxing as it requires little effort and pays off greatly after a couple of hours. Plus not many people do it so if you get the hang of it, you can slowly create a farming route and memorize certain areas where the materials you need will spawn in. As it takes several minutes for materials to spawn in, you will have wander around a bit in a given area until you ret the general feel of where the mats come. Then its just a matter of mousing-clicking your way from one side of the field to the other. Obviously this isn't for everyone (I'm generally more patient for video games than most people).
  • Seravin - Sanctuary
    Seravin - Sanctuary Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    sure. the mats are extreamly. I hope to get more purified oil, silk thread and so. 8% droprate is ****.
    [SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]
    Credit to Forsakenx for making this Wonderful Signature. ^-^
  • Lycan_Knight - Dreamweaver
    Lycan_Knight - Dreamweaver Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    i gotta agree with this....i've seen these material dealers all over the place in the massive cities....but what for!? all they do is say sh*t like 'the more coin your willing to depart with, the more i'm willing to give you.' or somethin like that....then says to close the message..i mean seriously...

i'm a lvl 43 barb [about to hit 44] and i can't find rough fur for ****! i mean seriously..i looked up on the monster thing and they stop droppin rough fur at lvl 34 with the lupine bowman near Archosaur!and i can't even claim the rough fur till the 2x drop weeks which hardly happen anymore >.<
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    If you are referring to items harvested from the ground with a pickaxe,it's pretty easy to get them if you look at the right areas.
    If you are referring to items drop from monsters being ridiculously low/unavailable at your level,make a new character just to farm them.

And if you want to level your manufacturing,make those that require the least/cheapest mats.
    For gear that you want to use,I suggest using gears from quests/drops which are usually better than normal since the chance of getting good gear from manufacturing can be a lot more expensive
  • SaintToadElf - Archosaur
    SaintToadElf - Archosaur Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Reduce the price of CS mats and you will sell more of them.
  • SaintToadElf - Archosaur
    SaintToadElf - Archosaur Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited August 2010

And if you want to level your manufacturing,make those that require the least/cheapest mats.
    For gear that you want to use,I suggest using gears from quests/drops which are usually better than normal since the chance of getting good gear from manufacturing can be a lot more expensive

It's hard to make good armor- armor that has all 5 elemental resists.