One problem I have as a full INT wizard...

Options
Fina - Heavens Tear
Fina - Heavens Tear Posts: 93 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Wizard
For anyone considering playing a wizard or rethinking their build I would like to state one problem I have encounted.

As a full INT wiz I do a lot of damage. This tends to sometimes cause aggro to switch over to me. It will often happen if the tank and damage healers are 5 or levels levels below me, or if i'm with a tank that doesn't know what they're doing to hold aggro.

When this happens it's likely I die in one hit from a ranged mob when it's a boss....

So if you want to avoid this I suggest taking some measures: Party with a tank around your level who you know knows how to hold aggro, don't cast consequtively without taking a second or two break in between, stand the maximum distance from the enemy, or put some points into VIT so that you have more HP and can survive at least 1 hit so your HP charm goes off and gives the tank some times to get the aggro back.

So while full INT does do amazing damage...it's good to be careful and be prepared for 1 hit kills from strong monsters.
I read the forums when bored at work for the lulz.
Post edited by Fina - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• heaven123
    heaven123 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ummm... just wanted to say... like any MMO, the big nukers are only as strong as their party. Sure you can do a lot of burst damage, but what use is it if the tank can't hold the aggro off of you.
  • al0ysius
    al0ysius Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    that practically happens to me everytime :(
    pure int dmg is incredible. but the life.. is definitely a no-no.
    but i believe in the late levels, we'll enjoy haha.
  • heaven123
    heaven123 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    al0ysius wrote: »
    that practically happens to me everytime :(
    pure int dmg is incredible. but the life.. is definitely a no-no.
    but i believe in the late levels, we'll enjoy haha.

Don't go trigger happy... xD

You draw aggro no matter what if you go trigger happy... it's like if a cleric just heals non-stop, aggro will most likely happen.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    Monarch - Lost City Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Most good nukers know to let the tank/melee's take around 10-20% of the bosses health before you start nuking. Give them an aggro buffer. 100% sure fire way to NOT draw aggro.
    It takes a big man to cry, but a bigger man to laugh at him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Guild: Outlaw
  • seawolf
    seawolf Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Agreed with some others. You basically need to take into account the skill and level of the tank when going as a high DPS class or build.

Ideally the tank should be using aggro skills as much as possible (hopefully with a veno adding extra chi) but some people aren't in that habit yet so some adjustment is required. Whether that means not firing as much or using a weaker weapon or waiting is all up to you.

A good tank shouldn't give up aggro in FBs to a mage or an archer at all. It might happen in HH because those bosses switch aggro more, especially to pure builds. Just be patient. Often in AoE parties, the mage will go weaponless so the archer array (which is damaging at 50% from the close range) can take some of the hits.
  • skillz0
    skillz0 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    err srry im still new to the game and mmorpgs in general....wats an aggro?:confused:
  • Yoruk - Lost City
    Yoruk - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Aggro probably started as a shortened version of aggravation.
    It basically means "target". If you're "taking aggro" then you're the target of the mobs around you.
    Barbarians tend to take aggro because of their high health and defense.
    Wizzies on the other hand DO NOT want to take aggro for obvious reasons.

Also, aggro skills refer to the various skills the barbarian has of making mobs around him attack him.
  • Legend - Lost City
    Legend - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    As a boost off from what Yoruk said, the main way a barb does something like that is by using an aoe attack. (aoe = area of effect) Or if the mob has aggro, I would know that being a wizard and having a mob aggro you stinks...>_>
  • Baalzor - Heavens Tear
    Baalzor - Heavens Tear Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    For anyone considering playing a wizard or rethinking their build I would like to state one problem I have encounted.

As a full INT wiz I do a lot of damage. This tends to sometimes cause aggro to switch over to me. It will often happen if the tank and damage healers are 5 or levels levels below me, or if i'm with a tank that doesn't know what they're doing to hold aggro.

When this happens it's likely I die in one hit from a ranged mob when it's a boss....

So if you want to avoid this I suggest taking some measures: Party with a tank around your level who you know knows how to hold aggro, don't cast consequtively without taking a second or two break in between, stand the maximum distance from the enemy, or put some points into VIT so that you have more HP and can survive at least 1 hit so your HP charm goes off and gives the tank some times to get the aggro back.

So while full INT does do amazing damage...it's good to be careful and be prepared for 1 hit kills from strong monsters.

you are aware of that pure mages need HP gear, right ? you need a lot of money for it, but thats just the way it is...
    i have 1.7k life on lvl 48. good resistance to magic and blade barrier for physical.
    http:// fr.xfire.com/video/36f4d6/
    RUBBERBAND \o/
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    If you put points into vit you're kinda missing the purpose of a pure int wizard.
  • Zarok - Lost City
    Zarok - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Aggro probably started as a shortened version of aggravation.
    "Aggro" stems from Aggressive. ;P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • midnightdemon
    midnightdemon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Isa full INT wizard just magic points or can you add some strenght from time to time to get better robes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fitzchivalry - Heavens Tear
    Fitzchivalry - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I think that "Aggro" is a shortened term from old school pen and paper RPGs..when you had to roll dice and such..

Aggression + Roll = AggRo

Pulling this one out of the "My ****" database.
  • rsm
    rsm Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Hmm this actually seems fun, I play Black Mage in Final Fantasy XI so i think i have a good hold on how to control aggro. I think i will take a shot at full int wizard when my download finishes.. @ 70% another hour or so to go...
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    HP gear > losing INT points into VIT imo. It doesn't look cheap, but it's definitely worth it as far as I can see. Personally I try to party with tanks I know personally and can throw constructive criticism at once in a while knowing they won't get offended if there's an aggro problem. Randoms can be great and mean new friends, but you don't know 'til you know. :P

Even if they're doing their best though, things can go wrong, and that's why the group should know what to do if the tank does lose it and how to keep from drawing it at bad times (i.e. timing high damage spells, giving the tank an aggro buffer before attacking, standing far away from the enemy, not standing too close to the tank, etc).

Oh, and aggro does stem from aggressive. An aggro traditionally is an enemy that attacks without provocation. If you're holding aggro, you're taking the aggression of an enemy so as to prevent other people who couldn't take those hits from having to do so and dying.

@Skillz0, here's an example: Boss hits 1k. The tank has 4k hp, main damage dealer has 1.5k. If the boss crits the damage dealer, that person will die. If the boss crits the tank, the tank can survive another normal hit after that, giving the healer time to get around any cooldowns they may have / time their heals so they don't draw aggro.. simply put, it keeps everyone alive while getting the job done. It benefits both sides.
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • Calliope - Heavens Tear
    Calliope - Heavens Tear Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Isa full INT wizard just magic points or can you add some strenght from time to time to get better robes?
    The "full INT" build is 9 Int and 1 Str every 2 levels, precisely to let you wear better robes. :)
  • Clara - Lost City
    Clara - Lost City Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    thats why i went for hybrid build^^ higher survival rate :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Retrickster - Lost City
    Retrickster - Lost City Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Most of my points are spent pretty much like this...
    2 points in Vit.
    3 points in Magic
    only taking pts outa Vit to put in STR every now and then to be able to use weapons as STR req on weaps increases.
  • sophiasan
    sophiasan Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Pure int is pretty good from preference, But you have to be good at keeping a monster FAR away from you. From monster preference, have the tank of the party deal damage to have the monster pretty much pissed off, a good damage rate of High damage in Quick, Large amounts gets a monster stuck to you nearly permanently, Stuns might have the monster target you if you cast right after it comes back in active mode. A Pure int wizard better be having some earth or else he's probably gonna need a few health charms. Pure int Earth wizards, if they are experienced, can keep a monster far away, Water/Earth does it better. If your a fire wizard better pull out the DoTs or else the monster might think otherwise on killing the tank. High range aggro monsters can anger you. My preference is if your going to be a Full int wizard, You better be a tailor, or lucky, cause those Vitality/Constitution Equips might not be too available to you. For pure int, Every single one of the elements would be of use, Fire is good for running around with the DoT, Water is good for half running around, Slowing every time you can, or even stopping, Earth is one of the easiest to pull off, being that you can just stun them on contact, and run away for another spell. If a Full int mage is your way of going, keep a steady patience, and don't think, "Burn, Burn, Burn, Burn, Burn, Burn, Burn!" or else ye might get a chomp on the rear.

(If this wasn't helpful, Sorry.)
  • Knightstalkr - Heavens Tear
    Knightstalkr - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Sry, I am somewhat new to MMOs so whats HH? I think FB stands fro final boss but correct me if m wrong. ty
    For every problem, a solution, in time, shall present itself
  • Deathsscion - Sanctuary
    Deathsscion - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Fb are the dungeon quests. The monsters there are a lot stronger and you always need a party or a high level player to help you. Don't worry. it took me some time to figure that one out myself.
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    @sophiasan, killing mobs as a pure int is easier than you make it sound.

Just find a nice melee mob, keep it slowed and use phoenix when it gets within the 10m range. If the pure int is killing things around their level, they should be able to eliminate the enemy before it gets close enough to hit them; inc life mobs are an exception and as long as it's slowed, you can hit S to turn around & distance shrink as a substitute for a second phoenix because the cool most likely won't be over yet. Thus soloing is simple. Before you get phoenix and DS, you can just kite the mobs if you really don't want to get hit, but tbh you can take a few hits as a pure int (from most mobs around your level). The other easy solution is to train on poison mobs when you solo (especially flying ones like vipions), because they're easy to kill and with decent gear you can kill half of them before they even get to poison you, no kiting or kbing necessary. Morning Dew will cover the HP lost when you do get poisoned. I can't speak for higher leveled soloing, but water mobs are pretty easy kills for a pure int as well and shouldn't pose much of a threat either.

I've noticed something about aoe groups right off as well, if you're a pure int you should keep your aoe in check by not leveling them past certain damages until certain levels or risk losing aggro to the tank. Simple solution, and it's cheaper than having to keep buying the damn skill, too. If you've overleveled it, an attack buffer will work as well.

/rant
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
This discussion has been closed.