Levelling a pet?

Options
kargor
kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Venomancer
Well, the problem: I'm lvl 32, and newly aquired sawfly is lvl 9 (yeah, already made one level).

Right now I was trying Rhinodrake Megaliths. I can tank them for a bit, they drop hay, and the pet seems to get reasonable exp. However, I suck at tanking, so I need to rest. A lot. A big lot.

But, fear not little robin. There are rocks near the water, so I was trying the "stand on the rock and shoot anything that moves" game. Seemed to work at first, but only vs. ranged monsters --- melee stuff like the wolves there can't be killed, they just recover their HP. So no good.

What else? Can I level the sawfly at much lower level monsters?

It shouldn't be a problem once I can actually use it --- the golem maxes his Exp bar LONG before I do, so I guess I can level both.
Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
Getting too grindy by now :-(
Post edited by kargor on

Comments

• greenpuma123
    greenpuma123 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Ya you can. The sawfly will gain exp just like if YOU were a lvl 8. it will even lvl faster since u can kill stuff in one shot. Just go kill noob mobs and the sawfly will eventually just catch up (mind u it will be like lving YOURSELF all the way up 32 by grinding. maybe minus an hour.
  • kargor
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Hm... I always had the impression that my golem maxed out his exp quickly, but I'll try the low level monster thing.

After all, I did try the Cloud Dancer Quest without a pet. First one, for some reason, didn't fight back. Free kill. Second one did fight back. Long rest. Third one... killed me.

So having a flying pet might not be a bad idea. I'll see how fast it levels...
  • Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary
    Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I had this problem the first time around. I didn't get my sawfly until I was a higher level, and it was hard as heck to level it. I tried higher level mobs, lower level mobs. Didn't really find much that made me happy. I made sure I was getting the most out of loyalty.

The only thing I can really say is attack mobs around your level. Make sure you have pots and powders, and just go for it. It'll be a long slow road, but you really need that flying pet.

When I started over on Sanctuary, I made sure I got that sawfly as soon as I could lol. He's now level 42, and has been great!
  • Danni - Heavens Tear
    Danni - Heavens Tear Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Here's something that worked for me. When I caught my sawfly, I was level 41. (granted, I'm not like many venos out there...)

Go to a spawn of enemies 4-6 levels above your pet, order it to attack one, you attack another or as many others as you can fit in the time it takes the fly to kill one, however keep an eye on your pet's hp, the sawfly especially dies easily.
  • kargor
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Well, right now it works like a breeze. Went over to Etherblade, just to do a bit of sightseeing. The fly is 13 right now and I'm in the mountains up north (actually, been there once before... but didn't really walk around a lot).

I guess it will slow down when it gets closer to my level, but I hope with a bit more healing than usual I'll be able to use it for the normal questing monsters.

And I actually tried getting the fly before, but failed two times --- first time it wasn't close enough to the watchtower for me to pull it closer, second time around there was no fly anywhere near that watchtower...

Still, right now it doesn't feel like Nostale at all.
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Your best bet is to kill foes at your pet's level as a pet will only gain a maximum amount of XP which is capped i.e. if your pet is level 10 and you kill a level 20 mob, your pet gets the same XP as though you killed level 10 mob.

Hope that made sense :).
  • kargor
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Yeaj, it does make sense. Also explains why it took me forever to get the pet to lvl 9. I wasn't sure whether I should be killing higher level or not, so I compromised "a bit higher", just in case :-)