lack of quests after 40 *sigh*

Options
Neverwas - Heavens Tear
Neverwas - Heavens Tear Posts: 133 Arc User
edited October 2008 in General Discussion
i could have sworn this had been discussed before but i couldn't find it. i started having real trouble around level 39 finding quests. it seems i get 3 or 4 quests at the beginning of each level which take me to 40%, maybe 50% then there are no more quests except maybe one or two to kill a boss. i had hoped it was a fluke when i was at level 39 but it's been pretty much the same since then. i just reached level 41, did i think 3 quests, now all that's available is killing chin and dismal shade which require groups, which can be quite a pain in the you know where considering the oddball hours i play.

am i missing something here or is this really the way it's going to be from now on? why can't we be given more quests to help us level? i mean, the level cap is what....105? i just can't see myself "grinding" monsters at .2% or .3% per kill and repeating "crazy stone" everyday. the quests of killing 30 of this monster or 45 of those are bad enough but at least there's the exp to be gained at the end. just straight grinding is completely horrible as means of a way to level in this game.

i've been totally in love with this game since i started playing and have poured more money into the cash shop than i'd like to admit. this game has SO MUCH potential but if this continues i'm afraid i'll have to give up on this game and find something else as i feel many might do. is there a reason why there's hardly any quests? did the developers just get lazy? or will it get better in the coming levels?

in my opinion there should be lots of different quests for each level. so many that you could even skip a couple and still level. why not? better that than players getting bored with the grinding or "helping with your FBs" to get every little bit of experience they can get their hands on. i don't want to help someone with their FB to get some exp, i want my own exp! some might disagree but reaching level 105 would take quite alot of dedication for someone to reach even with plenty of quests, but if we have to "grind" our way there i just don't see how many players would be willing to do it. and i know i certainly don't have the willpower and attention span for something like that.

maybe i just need to get over it and accept this is how the game will be from now on, unless i'm wrong and it does get better in the coming levels. so tell me, all you higher level players, is this it? and what do you do to continue leveling?
Post edited by Neverwas - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Cosmos - Heavens Tear
    Cosmos - Heavens Tear Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Sadly, it's just how it is. The game gives you enough quests to reach lv37-39 rather easilly and rapid, but from then on the majority of your level is spent grinding on mobs instead of questing.

It all depends on if you're a grinder or not. If you don't mind doing a couple hours of it a day, you'll still level rather fast. If you detest grinding, however, you won't last long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Moander - Heavens Tear
    Moander - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    This is not how it is...
    I'm a Barbarian, lvl 48, about to hit 49. I've nad no issues getting quests for my leveling. You MUST hit the Find Quest button every time you level, and every time you turn in a quest or three.

Along the way to getting / performing the quests, do your DQ turnins. The final turnin for each phase pays off well in XP and spirit.

This is MY experience anyways....
  • crystalhaztazahs
    crystalhaztazahs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It's just how it is.

There's other ways of gaining exp. Try going on fb runs, do DQ quests if you're rich, do the daily quest that Hou Jensi gives out after level 30.

Currently, I'm not bored with all the things to do on PW. FBs are actually fun for me, and I currently have some quests to do in tusk town+DQ questing.

It's gonna be hard getting exp on your own. If you don't like how it is in the game, then it's gonna take you longer to 105. Usually I get a level per day, unless two days if I wasn't really doing anything today.
  • Jestersig - Heavens Tear
    Jestersig - Heavens Tear Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    There is a bit of a grind after 40. You just have to find ways to break it up. Grind for a bit then do one of the quests. Join a guild and help your guildies. Run all over the map taking screenshots.

You also get into aoe parties and then hh not too long after that. Remember to do your element powder quest everyday and the leveling actually goes suprisingly fast. I just hope they put horse races back into the game soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary
    Feraldreamzz - Sanctuary Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I have yet had the need to grind. Like others have said, I do my 3 or so quests, do DQ's, make sure I get my daily's. Then whenever the opportunity presents itself, I help others with their fb19's (last night I got 12k exp for the boss). I keep pretty busy.
  • vigor
    vigor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Yes later on you have to grind like crazy. Especially after lv60. People need to understand that all free to play mmos are grind games. Because if they weren't no one would buy enough from cash shop for them to make money. By having grind they can sell exp scrolls and upgrading material for people to level up faster. It's common sense
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lost City
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Yeah as you level the quests get less and less. But you also are given other options.

At lvl 61 you the next level crazy stone quest @ ~23k per day
    At lvl 60 you also get "punish praise" where you kill 60 mobs and get an exp reward starting @ 20k @ lvl 60-64, you can do this quest every hour.
    At lvl 6x you get 20k exp per fb19
    At 70 you get world quest and you get 100k exp per doing this (daily)

You cant totally avoid mindless grinding unless you just do dailies every day but you wont be leveling fast at all.

EDIT: if you are rich you can make zhen parties at level 60+ and you get a nice amount of exp. I see that you are a WF so you NEED a mount for people to even think about letting you join the party so you will have trouble finding a party to accept you
  • Jagermeister - Lost City
    Jagermeister - Lost City Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    This is still drastically less grinding then in most games even without quests to carry you the entire time. There are daily events which give good xp which you can begin in the 40s (although they are very difficult).

When you get in the 60s you can do AOE Grind teams which are quite fun since you can sit around and chat with friends while you xp.

Also if you have 2 computers what I do to pass the time of endless solo grinding is pop a move in and watch while you grind since pretty much grinding with heiros just boils down to clicking mobs and spamming 1 or 2 skills for a few hours.

-Jagermeister
    Cleric - Member of Unlimited [Lost City]

Invincible 220/24 Keeper - SC Ring of Destruction (Anarchy Online)
    Invincible 63 Warrior - Genocide (Knight Online)
    Invincible 120 Priest - Leader Primal (Corum Online)
    Invincible1 109 Segnale - Leader Primal Instinct (2moons)
    Jagermeister 80 Priest of Mitra - Primal Instinct (Age of Conan)

Sub-Leader Primal Instinct Gaming Services Network
    "PKing since Pong"
    www pigsnet.com
  • Jagermeister - Lost City
    Jagermeister - Lost City Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Also just an observation from years of gaming.

Asian based games = Grind fests (usually solo based or team) [2moons, Corum Online, PW]

American based games = Quests / some party based grinding [WOW, SWG, Age of Conan]

Anyways thats my experience
    Cleric - Member of Unlimited [Lost City]

Invincible 220/24 Keeper - SC Ring of Destruction (Anarchy Online)
    Invincible 63 Warrior - Genocide (Knight Online)
    Invincible 120 Priest - Leader Primal (Corum Online)
    Invincible1 109 Segnale - Leader Primal Instinct (2moons)
    Jagermeister 80 Priest of Mitra - Primal Instinct (Age of Conan)

Sub-Leader Primal Instinct Gaming Services Network
    "PKing since Pong"
    www pigsnet.com
  • deliciouse
    deliciouse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Hey guys this is partially off topic but I had to ask.
    As a new player of almost a week now Id have to say that im actually enjoying this game allot. I also live across the bay from redwood city so my ping times are amazing. I used to play Archlord which I liked allot as well but the grind got to me since there where some scattered quests but after lvl 50 the .025 ex gain and no quests was nerve racking.
    Im only at lvl 18 right now and it seems that there is so much I can find to do that as it stands right now I cant see it being boring in the later levels. I can see that as time goes on things will slow down as most games do as you level up but from what I've read in the forums it looks promising in later levels.

I'm posting because you guys/girls said some things that I don't understand being a new guy in game. Things like DQ turnins, FB, and FB19? If you guys could give me a basic vernacular update that would be kool. If not then thats fine to and I'll continue through the game not any wiser and it'll be all your fault...lol j/k

P.S I have to also say that the charicter creation in this game is one of the best I've seen. I spent the first few hours after installing this game just cracking my self up with the goons I created. One of em I decided to keep! Look for shaneekwa on the Sanctuary server.
    I get allot of "OMG"
  • acolyte
    acolyte Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    deliciouse wrote: »
    Hey guys this is partially off topic but I had to ask.
    As a new player of almost a week now Id have to say that im actually enjoying this game allot. I also live across the bay from redwood city so my ping times are amazing. I used to play Archlord which I liked allot as well but the grind got to me since there where some scattered quests but after lvl 50 the .025 ex gain and no quests was nerve racking.
    Im only at lvl 18 right now and it seems that there is so much I can find to do that as it stands right now I cant see it being boring in the later levels. I can see that as time goes on things will slow down as most games do as you level up but from what I've read in the forums it looks promising in later levels.

I'm posting because you guys/girls said some things that I don't understand being a new guy in game. Things like DQ turnins, FB, and FB19? If you guys could give me a basic vernacular update that would be kool. If not then thats fine to and I'll continue through the game not any wiser and it'll be all your fault...lol j/k

P.S I have to also say that the charicter creation in this game is one of the best I've seen. I spent the first few hours after installing this game just cracking my self up with the goons I created. One of em I decided to keep! Look for shaneekwa on the Sanctuary server.
    I get allot of "OMG"

:) I remember Archlord... and this isnt hmm any better b:shocked ... DQ = Dragon Quest, you get it late 3x's.
    FB19 and like so many other post about the FB quest.. it start at lvl 19 and goes on every x9 like : 29 39 49 ect..
    Its a quest you have to do if you wanna get your "new" skills above that lvl.

Good luck with this game.
    This game is getting more & more Hostility each day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Yes you don't get enough quests to make you level each level when you get high enough, didn't stop me from reaching 60 so far.

You can do the Crazy Stone quest, Dragon Quests, FB's. All of them are good sources of exp.

For those times you do grind, thats when the money comes in anyway. I like to grind because I can get a lot of dragon quest items to sell to NPC and get lots of money.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • deliciouse
    deliciouse Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    To acolyte

Thanks for the clarification and I appreciate the response.
  • acolyte
    edited October 2008
    Options
    You can do the Crazy Stone quest.

That quest in Arch cost money to do, and i think it was after lvl 40 the cash it cost is about 7k or more to do. I think it starts out to cost 2 to 3k to do.
    (im pretty sure if i load one of my chars and take it, it will cost around 7 to 8k to do.)

Those quest i dont see as the best kind of quest lol Since you dont get any money in return...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    acolyte wrote: »
    That quest in Arch cost money to do, and i think it was after lvl 40 the cash it cost is about 7k or more to do. I think it starts out to cost 2 to 3k to do.
    (im pretty sure if i load one of my chars and take it, it will cost around 7 to 8k to do.)

Those quest i dont see as the best kind of quest lol Since you dont get any money in return...

At 61 it costs 23k a day but 23k is easy to grind in ~15 mins. It's good exp and I recommend doing it every day if possible.
  • koolk
    koolk Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    acolyte wrote: »
    :) I remember Archlord... and this isnt hmm any better b:shocked ... DQ = Dragon Quest, you get it late 3x's.
    FB19 and like so many other post about the FB quest.. it start at lvl 19 and goes on every x9 like : 29 39 49 ect..
    Its a quest you have to do if you wanna get your "new" skills above that lvl.

Good luck with this game.

FBs are dungeons that you can do to get exp. Basically, these are repeatable and it's intended so high levels can help others finish their dungeon quests.

FBs are NOT REQUIRED. They are encouraged, since it helps you level and gives you great items sometimes.

Cultivation Quests are REQUIRED for improving your skills and getting new spells. FBs are not part of the cultivation chain.
  • acolyte
    edited October 2008
    Options
    koolk wrote: »
    FBs are NOT REQUIRED. They are encouraged, since it helps you level and gives you great items sometimes.

Funny you say that, cause i remember when at lvl 19 i couldnt get any more skills untill after it was done. And since then i didnt look before after i done them.

And no it wasnt because i didnt have spirit enough or gold enough lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wishfox - Lost City
    Wishfox - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I had also wondered about this at first, but it seems that I am getting a decent amount of quests, it's just that the CircleMUD-style progressive increase of exp to the next level makes each successive level harder to obtain, and requiring a little grind. The number of quests has dropped, but using the Find Quest button every level helps a lot. Also, just logging on to do the daily quest(s) will level you once or more per week depending on your level, or at least get you a good deal closer.

I find that if you have to grind and there's not enough in it for you, you're grinding for the wrong reasons. You can kill plenty of mobs near your level to level, whether their level is lower or higher, and get decent exp, so think about other reasons to grind. Work on your crafting, grinding around resource spawn areas to both gain exp and materials, and then utilize the materials to level your crafting up. Or, grind out mobs that drop DQ or Quest items, and sell them in player shop, auction, etc to get more cash. I find that if I go out "grinding" for cash or materials, I end up leveling up AND getting rich/higher craft levels.

I have bought exp scrolls before to make the grind a little faster, and it is a decent increase, but it still takes time. The good thing is, the scrolls are only 50 silver (=1/2 zen = 50 cents), so I can always sell DQ items quickly (even to NPCs!) to make a fast 50,000 coins and buy one from a player shop without spending a dime. There always seems to be about 5-6 people selling them in west Archosaur, without fail, making it cheap and easy to get one when your quests are done for the current level.

Personally, I won't be bored as long as I'm in an active guild doing territory wars, even at level 4x I can help out a bit and it's really very fun. :) So, have fun with it!
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    If you do strictly your "Find Quest" quests, you should be able to sail smoothly to level 40 or so. However I really must advise folks to take advantage of all the other quests in the game, just as everyone above has advised.

Dragon Quests are great sources of EXP. They do however, require a lot of traveling and/or teleporting around the world in order to complete. If you have a lot of extra coin sitting around, these are great supplement for EXP. (Also note that you can get some really cool mounts from collecting the Order rewards from DQs.)

Dungeon Quests (FBs) are great sources of EXP, and the amount of EXP you gain for helping lowbies complete their dungeon quests increases as your level increases.

Daily quests are the key to easy leveling. Always make sure you do your gem quest every day from Hou Jensei in West Archosaur. This quest resets every night at midnight and will grant you a hefty amount of EXP for very little time/coin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]