New graphics engine?

Magiterry - Lost City
Magiterry - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
edited October 2008 in General Discussion
I am just wondering if the PW Team has ever thought about moving to a new game/graphics engine for Perfect Word International. One that can be taken advantage of newer hardware and what not. I dont mean like a whole new game and all of your hard work is lost with all of those hight level characters....I just mean maybe one HUGE game update lol or maybe an entire new game, but with the same database so we can all still have our characters and stuff.

I have wondered this for a while, and was just wondering. Please, do not take this as me flaming the Game or its developing team, I do not mean that by any means. I just have heard that the game was designed on engines about 3-4 years old. I am just making a suggestion . =]

-Terry-
Post edited by Magiterry - Lost City on

Comments

• gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Please do not post the same conversation topic in multiple threads, and please do not post threads in an forum on unrelated matters. I think this forum is the most relevant for this discussion, so stick with this thread for now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magiterry - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    ok, but I want people to see this...cause imo, I think a lot of ppl are wondering this same thing
  • starky1234
    starky1234 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    i do agree and i disagree. i disagree because the graphics are great for being made like 4 years ago and i agree because the game engine is old and a few graphics tweaks wouldn't be to bad
  • fulmenmagus
    fulmenmagus Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    also keep in mind this game was most likely designed for people in countries who dont have as powerful computers as most US/European players. For what it is the graphics are great.
  • glimmerous
    glimmerous Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I like the graphics where they are, myself.

I keep all the settings at pretty much the lowest, otherwise it makes me lag horrible.

There are people here who don't have as powerful computers, too!
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Changing the game engine would requires a complete recoding of the game.

By the way, Bejing PW Co is using it's own proprietary engine to run PW.

The game is designed to be able to run on slower PC because many players in Asia are playing from cybercafe, and those don't always have top of the line machines.

It also ensure them that a maximum of people will be able to play the game on their PC. For a F2P game a big potential player base is very important.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Misstaken - Heavens Tear
    Misstaken - Heavens Tear Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I turn the graphics on max and it looks wonderful.
    What a stupid post you have made.
    I used to do drugs, I still do but I used to too.
  • Magiterry - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    ok, dont call my post stupid. Why do you actually LOOK into what I am saying. Who the hell do you think you are? I know the game look great the way it is. what I SAID was to recode the game a bit to make it run better on newer systems. And to take advantage of dual core processors. That was all I meant. NOW, if that is such a big problem, maybe you shouldn't even be on the forums at all, we don't need trolls on here.
  • vigor
    vigor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I turn the graphics on max and it looks wonderful.
    What a stupid post you have made.

You never saw a good looking game then. Graphics are average and the amount of sprites are horrible. Tree density is so low for example that nothing looks like a forest in the game. Not even places named forest. Like Forest of the Plume
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lost City
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    ok, dont call my post stupid. Why do you actually LOOK into what I am saying. Who the hell do you think you are? I know the game look great the way it is. what I SAID was to recode the game a bit to make it run better on newer systems.

Suffering from alzheimer already? Here's what you wrote previously :
    I am just wondering if the PW Team has ever thought about moving to a new game/graphics engine for Perfect Word International.

Moving to a new game engine is not done by "recode the game a bit" as you said. It means a total recoding of the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Magiterry - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    lol ohhhhhh ok, hmmm. Actually, it CAN be done while the game is still Live. They did it to Vanguard, so I'm sure they can do it with this game. They re-worked the games engine to use the hardware better, and when it was done, the released it with a HUGE patch. So, it can be done. How about you do some research before you try to sit there and insult people. lol get a life. And yes, I was just wondering. wtf is sooooooo bad about that? please give me creditable facts to back up your statement. and if you cant do that, then gtfo.
  • Magiterry - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    since the edit function for some reason, I have to make a new reply on here, so sorry if this s double post Forum Mods!!

btw, they can "re-code the game a little bit"; have you ever heard of tweaking? or fine-tuning? lol i guess not since you think you have to re-code the entire game. lol like I just said, if Sony Online can do it, Or Blizzard, then I am sure the PWI team can do it too
  • koolk
    koolk Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    lol ohhhhhh ok, hmmm. Actually, it CAN be done while the game is still Live. They did it to Vanguard, so I'm sure they can do it with this game. They re-worked the games engine to use the hardware better, and when it was done, the released it with a HUGE patch. So, it can be done. How about you do some research before you try to sit there and insult people. lol get a life. And yes, I was just wondering. wtf is sooooooo bad about that? please give me creditable facts to back up your statement. and if you cant do that, then gtfo.

Unfortunately, the case with Vanguard was not a recoding of the game engine. Vanguard did a major update to the improve the game engine that they are using. The update helped improve the performance of the existing engine that Vanguard already had in place.

As many other users have stated, the definition of "whole new engine" requires massive coding effort that PWI cannot do. Only PW-Beijing has the authority to do so and there is no need for them to improve the game engine or redesign a new one seeing as the majority of their userbase does not use strong machines.

There is a MAJOR difference between performance improvements VS brand new engine. Performance improvements can be done to streamline the engine to allow it to be used efficiently. Brand new engine requires rebuilding many parts of the game.

As far as your request goes, it's impossible to convince PWI to do anything about it because they have no control over that portion of the game.
  • Ren - Lost City
    Ren - Lost City Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    This game looks like **** and isn't it using like DX6? Either way if you think this game has good graphics you're blind. Low polygon count, low res texture, over-reused models, poorly coded water effects, crappy blindness inducing blur effect instead of HDR, etc.

No 6 year old game clients please, I want some 64 bit optimization, quad threading, and Crysis quality graphics.

But of course, it WON'T happen. PWI is basically just distributing a place to play the game here, they have no power to do anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zoe is so full of it, that he must be Karmelia.
  • Vermilion - Lost City
    Vermilion - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    A graphics update would not hurt in my opinion, it would be nice. Then again I run a much overly powerful computer thus I won't hit lag ever. You have to keep in mind though that this is an MMORPG and that does limit the graphics a game can have.

I think working on content before graphics would be better.
  • Magiterry - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    koolk wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the case with Vanguard was not a recoding of the game engine. Vanguard did a major update to the improve the game engine that they are using. The update helped improve the performance of the existing engine that Vanguard already had in place.

As many other users have stated, the definition of "whole new engine" requires massive coding effort that PWI cannot do. Only PW-Beijing has the authority to do so and there is no need for them to improve the game engine or redesign a new one seeing as the majority of their userbase does not use strong machines.

There is a MAJOR difference between performance improvements VS brand new engine. Performance improvements can be done to streamline the engine to allow it to be used efficiently. Brand new engine requires rebuilding many parts of the game.

As far as your request goes, it's impossible to convince PWI to do anything about it because they have no control over that portion of the game.

1)I'm not asking the PW Team do do anything. it was just an idea.
    2) maybe I should have said engine improvements.
    3)I really had no idea that some of the community here could be so disrespectful of other poeples ideas (not you)
    4)the game looks great, dont get me wrong, but I think some things could be done to improve on the overall performance of the game. I bet a lot of people dont play this game cause they a Quad Core, triple SLI/Crossfire, and can use all of that in this game.
  • kargor
    kargor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, considering that this is an F2P game the gfx is impressive. I run everything on max though; don't know how it looks on min.

Other than that, changing the gfx engine isn't just something you do when you find some spare time; it's a huge project. If anything, *they* (we don't know the details) could look at their engine and think about what they could change/add (optional, so low end systems wouldn't be affected) without too much effort, like new lightning effects, beefing up some spellcasting or something like that.
    Yindra --- Lvl 64 Venomancer (Sanctuary)
    Getting too grindy by now :-(
  • Zenpachi - Heavens Tear
    Zenpachi - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Personally, I think the game looks great. Is it better-looking than, say, CoD4 or Crysis? Well, no, but compared to most other MMOs, it is pretty nice. Thing is, most of what makes games like Crysis so lifelike is the physics mechanics, which don't typically work too well on a mass-multiplayer scale. In other words, you've got all these different players connecting from around the world all at various coordinates, many times in the same crowded area, and all interacting with the environment. If you thrown in correct physics, such as nVidia's PhysX and ragdoll, you're either going to end up with ridiculous server lag, incorrect object placement leading to massive bugs, or a severely instanced game (see AoC).

Other things that make the game look good are of course high-def textures, higher polygon count, dynamic lighting, etc. These things work great on high-end systems in single-player games. Regular multiplayer will begin to make even top-notch systems start to lag. Make it a hundred or more people and that's a recipe for a complete meltdown even for Hal.
    b:shocked

Again, for an open-world, non-instanced MMO, Perfect World looks amazing. Keep in mind also that graphics aren't everything (again, see AoC). I don't care about a graphics update, although more content and GUI upgrades are always welcome!