Ram issue...

Magiterry - Lost City
Magiterry - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Support Desk
on my HP a6244n, I 3gigs DDR2 RAM....but on the PWI Launcher...I just so happened to look at my game settings, and it only says I have 1024 (1gig) of RAM...lol what gives? how come the game isnt seeing the full 3gigs? also, it says that my ATI 4870 only have 507MB of gddr5?

lol wtf?

help? =]
Post edited by Magiterry - Lost City on

Comments

• gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    If you're running a 32-bit Windows installation, it may not be able to see the full 3 gigabytes of RAM. If you're running the 1-gig RAM version of the ATI 4870, that's 1 gigabyte worth of frame buffer added to how much address space MMIO takes up, plus the amount devoted to the Windows kernel.

That said, you should be able to see a bit more than that. It may just be a display issue on the patcher, though : take a look at what Windows itself is recognizing as your RAM configuration (at Start->Control Panel->System). It may be less than 3 gigabytes, but it should not be drmatically less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magiterry - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    on the dxdiag, it says 3gigs, and in the Windows Information. lol and no, I wish I had the 1gig version of the 4870 XD I didnt even know they made one. Its the 512MB GDDR5

and I know that Vista take about 1 gig (or less) of ram to run, so I would still have 2 gigs left...heh, but idk, you could be right on the idea its just a glitch on the PW Launcher.
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Hardware detection can be... unpredictable... at the best of times. Thanks for the notification of that particular error, but the worst it should do it make your default settings go a bit low before you change them the first time. Tell us if you get any unusual behavior about resolution or graphics settings, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magiterry - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    lol well, just like everyone else on a "higher end" PC, I do have some lag in cities and what not, but like the rest of the staff said, this is normal.
This discussion has been closed.