Unknown Error after hitting 'start'.

Options
bas3639
bas3639 Posts: 6 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Support Desk
This game looks awesome.

I say looks, because whenever I press 'start' at the updater, I get an unknown error (literally unknown - it shows up in Japanese), plus the game won't start. Suggestions?

If need been, I'll get a screen cap of the error.
Post edited by bas3639 on

Comments

• apeman
    apeman Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    bas3639 wrote: »
    This game looks awesome.

I say looks, because whenever I press 'start' at the updater, I get an unknown error (literally unknown - it shows up in Japanese), plus the game won't start. Suggestions?

If need been, I'll get a screen cap of the error.

>>I had the same problem, did you get a reply on this?
  • bas3639
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Besides you, Mr. Apeman, not yet.
  • apeman
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I've been poking around the FAQ sheets and such, and all I could come up with is not meeting the system requirements. My computer does though, so I don't think that's the issue.
  • bas3639
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Well, my PC meets and surpasses the system requirements. Does that mean I get to wait for an Admin to notice this topic?
  • apeman
    edited October 2008
    Options
    That's all I can think to do.
  • bas3639
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Bump. Still waiting for help from the game makers.
  • azraelkurai
    azraelkurai Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Seriously, give us an answer.

My wife's computer is starting to get this error now. The problem is, the game played fine before. But I recently reformatted the hard drive (a bi-annual thing to do) and reinstalled Windows XP and Perfect World. Now, when trying to play, clicking start brings up an unkown error in Chinese.

The problem is that the game played perfect before, but now it won't after a fresh install. Nothing has changed other than a fresh and clean hard drive. What gives?
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2008
    Options
    It sounds like you may need to install the East Asian Language pack that is on your original Windows disc.
    Outlined below is a step-by-step guide to installing it in your computer. (For Windows XP - Vista users might have to undergo different steps. They should still be similar)

Try it and see if it works for you:

1. Insert your Windows XP CD
    2. Go to Control Panel
    3. Go to Regional and Language Options
    4. Click on the "Languages" Tab
    5. Click on the "Install files for East Asian Languages" checkbox and make sure that it's checked.
    6. Click on the OK button for the dialog box that appears.
    7. Click on the OK button of the window to close it, and begin the installation.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• bas3639
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Thanks for responding Surtr, but the only problem is I've had those languages installed on my computer for some time now. Any other suggestions?
  • Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear
    Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    When I reinstalled Windows XP on my wife's computer, I installed all the Language character packs.

But I think I may have found what the problem is. I believe it may have ssomething to do with the graphics drivers.

I just installed a new video card and the game starts up just fine, no issues. Before she was just using onboard graphics (she plays mostly on our laptop, but I take the laptop to work with me... decided to just get her a new video card for the desktop).

So Bas, are you using your onboard graphics card? If so, find out what the graphics chipset is and download the latest drivers for it. If that doesn't work, download an earlier driver and test it.

My problem was apparently that I had downloaded the latest drivers for the onboard chipset after the reinstall and they weren't compatible with the game. This happens sometimes. When we got our laptop, it had Windows Vista installed on it and an Intel chipset with the latest drivers... but we couldn't play games, and I couldn't work in my normal programs like Maya and Photoshop. Come to find out, Windows Vista was not compatible with the latest intel drivers and so I had to roll back to a previous version of them. Moral of the story: Sometimes the latest drivers for your graphics card/chipset are not the best.
  • bas3639
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Azariel, thanks for the hint. I'll be letting you know what happened later today (it is 2 AM, after all.)
  • sophos
    sophos Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Bump

having the same issue. Did nobody ever look into this after 10-07-2008?
    What is the solution for this problem please?

I have no vista installed of faulty xp installation. Every other game runs just fine on my pc. Games with lots more requirements then Perfect World.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    Send a ticket to Tech Support here: http://support.perfectworld.com/ticketing

We will ask you for additional information. Please describe in detail the issues you are having.

Thanks.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
This discussion has been closed.