Of Pricing and the "International" Label

Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Cash Shop Huddle
I really enjoy playing PWI, but crunching the numbers of more advanced cash shop purchases (marriage, mounts, clothing) sort of bothers me.

Do you know that in some parts of the United States, you can spend $40 to get married and get tax breaks. In PWI you spend $60 and get what?

In the United States, for $15 you can buy a real article of clothing to wear in the real world. In PWI, what do you have to show for clothing purchases?

If a person were to purchase 5 Kirin mounts, do you realize that said purchase is $150?

When you compare the priced of these objects to real world things, you have to somewhat grimace. These purchases don't have "real world" value nor is there an issue of supply and demand, and supply is determined by how many you sell (since it's pretty much all digital data). I know the people running PWI need to make money, but I don't think that people playing PWI made the kind of money mentioned in the following quote from Xarfox (an admin):
There are a lot of factors at play when a company decides what prices to set for their game. You need to look at supply and demand, potential inflation, and characteristics of your region's economy.

According to the CIA's World Factbook, these are the figures for GDP per capita in the US and Malaysia:
Malaysia's GDP = $13,300
United States' GDP = $45,800

All of these are based on 2007 figures.'

There's a major flaw in this logic. This version of Perfect World is called Perfect World INTERNATIONAL. It's not Perfect World US. Opening a game like this up to a large sector including Latin America and Western Europe whilst burdening those people with the thought that the US populous apparently has more disposable income is rather.. well... American-centric. Of course the servers are based in the United States, so there's going to be costs, but economically speaking, people who make $45,800 in the US are probably NOT playing Perfect World. They are either playing with a competitor or too busy working.

[Continued in Reply]
"Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it." -Publius Syrius

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    If it's not possible to mark down and keep prices down on Item Shop items, then perhaps it would be best to consider lowering the exchange rate of "$1 = 100 ZEN =1 gold."

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    With a large part of the US economy is turmoil, less Americans will have disposable income. And if PWI is trying to make money, it needs to keep prices low, or else players not interested in Item Shop items will just shrug these options off and continue playing without them.

My concern is that with high prices, less people will buy, causing PWI to operate in the red, and eventually close down because with the prices it's got, the game is not feasible. It is my opinion that it is better to take a cut on items in order to market to a broader base, than to keep prices high and market only to the elite.

So, summed up, if PWI wants to keep that "International" label, then you should not just figure in the US's GDP, rather the median GDP of all countries PWI is offered to. That, or just change it to PWUS (Or PWEN[Perfect World English]) if you're going to use the US's GDP no matter what. It would be in PWI's best interest to consider pricing seriously and keep in mind that if the average American is supposed to make $45,800, would they honestly be playing PWI over other MMORPGs?

Thank you for you time and patience. And thank you for offering such a wonderful game. I really hope it will turn a profit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Skarett - Lost City
    Skarett - Lost City Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Maybe they should change the game's name to "Perfect World: No Poor People Allowed"
  • Zanko - Lost City
    Zanko - Lost City Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    You have two options.

1. Be rich in real life and spend your money on Zen.

or

2. Be rich in game and buy Zen with in game gold.

I prefer option 2, just play the economy and you can be rich in no time:rolleyes:

Zanko~
  • Transcend - Lost City
    Transcend - Lost City Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Honestly, with SO MANY different companies in different industries offering massive discounts on goods/services, I can't even imagine what the PWE execs are thinking.

Here are some deals I've seen in recent weeks just by driving around my area:

Fast food: Complete meals for ~$5 versus $7-$8 (i.e Subway/Quizno's)
    Groceries: More bulk pricing for goods, priced around $5-10, many $1 each sales on frozen foods
    Gas: ~$3.50 for premium (yes, cheaper than the $4.75 I used to pay just a few months ago)
    Cable: HD, DVR, Showtime (+premium Showtime) for $85/mo versus $120
    Macy's (I know.. dept store!): 50% off clothing.. I bought a pair of jeans and two shirts for $120... regular price $240!
    Hometown Buffet: 50% off one person with one full price purchase ($12)
    Fro-yo: 2-for-1 sales.. my gf and I can each get a nicely sized yogurt for $5 total

I thought the charm prices were reasonable at $1.50 (I bought 5), but since it appears they have no intentions of lowering the price, I have no intentions of spending any more real world cash on the game. Once I hit a roadblock and can't level without charms, I'll leave, plain and simple. As a result of my charm purchases, I bought about three more bank stones and one inventory stone, which I'm sure is an indirectly positive effect of lowered prices.

I don't know if these people know we're in a massive economic downturn, but lol@them for not adapting.
    youtube.com/transcendpw

Latest Release: Electric Daisy Carnival [20 June 2013]
    Total Videos: 38
    Subscribers: 1,775
    Total Views: 1.21 million

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Comparing a video game to purchased goods in real life is not especially meaningful. There's no relevant exchange rate between a real world frozen pizza and an in-game mount.

A more relevant comparison -- and one that's much more important to the PWI bottom line -- is what other comparable goods cost. World Of Warcraft, for example, assume ~15 USD/month, plus box and expansion prices that are (as an internal target) to hit once a year. Do the math and that ends up being 19 USD/month. EverQuest II, and similar traditional MMORPGS that this game resembles run at similar rates. City Of Heroes runs at 15 USD/month plus the recent addition ten dollar elective packs once or twice a year. EverQuest I (with older graphics and design choices) runs at 12 USD/month.

None of these services are going to provide lowered pricing due to an economic downturn. The costs of providing the service are not going to decrease rapidly, nor is discretionary income likely to plummet enough to drive them out of business.

That is what is most relevant to the individuals marketting PWI. That's what they are competing with, not the price of food.

I dunno what they're estimating players to spend, or whether they estimate their game to be "worth more" than EverQuest or World of Warcraft from a user price viewpoint. I have absolutely no idea whether they expect players to burn through Charms or not. That's their prerogative, but basing a discussion on that is probably more relevant to what they're thinking.

(( This player is level <10. Assessments are from general economic viewpoint, not from in-game experience.))
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Masala - Lost City
    Masala - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    You guys seem to believe there are mostly americans playing. This is not the case. So far from the ppl I've met 1/3 is from europe. For us europeans this game is fairly cheap. 50 dollar is about 2 hours work for me, even though I only receive a modest salary.

Face it guys, if Americans cant pay the bills others will (just like in RL)
    edited October 2008
    And why are we basing ZEN prices off the US GDP then? Why not eh collective GDP of the EU then?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azraelkurai
    azraelkurai Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    You know, I enjoy PW, and while I don't think it's up to a $15 a month quality of game yet, I would gladly pay $10 a month. Unfortunately, $10 won't get you very far. One of the biggest downsides of the game is the small inventory. But $3 just seems too much for an extra slot. Now if an inventory stone were $1.00, I probably would have spent $20 on them already (and have only been playing a week), but at $3.00 a pop I haven't spent (and won't spend) and money in the cash shop.

That's awesome that there are people out there making $45,000+ a year, but unfortunately I live in the Midwest currently. Where I live, if you are making $25,000 a year you are considered well off, $30,000 is considered WEALTHY. Here where I live, the wealthy people make $15,000 less than what the government considers the average American salary. Average salary here in Southwest Missouri is around $19,000 annually.

Sure, I am quite well off for where I live, making about $400 a week (double what a lot of people make down here). But gas costs $60 a week, and bills add up to about $250 a week. That doesn't include food. Say I only spend $50 a week on food (for myself, wife, and two kids) that leaves $40 over every week to spend on things like entertainment and savings accounts.

I love games with fashion, and I definitely need a bigger inventory, but I'll be honest and say I won't be spending any money in the cash shop unless the prices go down. Now I know there are a lot of people that are arguing this point, both people who think the prices in the cash shop are too much and those that are just fine with the current prices. But if you read the posts, the ratio of People who think it's too expensive : People who think it's fine where it is happens to be around 40:1. Now I'm not an economic expert, but I know a lot about business and profits. I run my own business, I am a graphic designer. My fees are considerably less than any other company in the area, and I get a lot of business. I used to charge so much for my services, but when I lowered my prices my business (and income) rose by about 150%.

Now I'm not saying that I'm going to quit if cash shop items don't go down; it is a free to play game after all. I'm just saying that I simply won't be buying anything. However, if prices ever do go down, then yeah, I'll start spending money. I'm all about value though, and the cash shop items have no value at current prices.
    edited October 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »
    Comparing a video game to purchased goods in real life is not especially meaningful. There's no relevant exchange rate between a real world frozen pizza and an in-game mount.

With a mount perhaps, but what of clothing and marriage? Those are a bit more meaningful
    A more relevant comparison -- and one that's much more important to the PWI bottom line -- is what other comparable goods cost. World Of Warcraft, for example, assume ~15 USD/month, plus box and expansion prices that are (as an internal target) to hit once a year. Do the math and that ends up being 19 USD/month. EverQuest II, and similar traditional MMORPGS that this game resembles run at similar rates. City Of Heroes runs at 15 USD/month plus the recent addition ten dollar elective packs once or twice a year. EverQuest I (with older graphics and design choices) runs at 12 USD/month.

And the kicker is, people who make the stated GDP are playing PWI for what reason? As you pointed out there are relatively cheep games. However, it is my understanding that expansions of WoW are included. Btu I can also point to a game that has a one-time price, Guildwars, that you pay $60 and you get everything without a subscription fee. The drawback is that you have to pay for expansions.
    None of these services are going to provide lowered pricing due to an economic downturn. The costs of providing the service are not going to decrease rapidly, nor is discretionary income likely to plummet enough to drive them out of business.

I wasn't aware that the GDP is a number set in stone by an agency known for it's marvelous information gathering.
    That is what is most relevant to the individuals marketting PWI. That's what they are competing with, not the price of food.

I dunno what they're estimating players to spend, or whether they estimate their game to be "worth more" than EverQuest or World of Warcraft from a user price viewpoint. I have absolutely no idea whether they expect players to burn through Charms or not. That's their prerogative, but basing a discussion on that is probably more relevant to what they're thinking.

(( This player is level <10. Assessments are from general economic viewpoint, not from in-game experience.))

But here's the real kicker, WHO is PWI being marketed to? As you mentioned there are other games. Free MMOPRGS usually attract a certain kind of player, mostly those who are children or not gainfully employed. We could easily find out if when you log in, each player fills out a survey as to age, employment, and income. From there, the company can base prices.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Oh, I think charm prices are quite reasonable. I've not qualm with that, as those kinds of things are pretty much obrainable by the people this game is marketed to. $1.50 for an item that's semi-disposable is very reasonable. That's akin to a candy bear now.

But are purchases of $1.50 going to pay for servers, rent, marketing and the like?

I'm not begrudging the company money, but I'm concerned with prices of more advanced commodities being expensive, the people who play this game (which I believe are children and the less gainfully employed) will just ignore these commodities. I would rather like to work on my character in teg game for a good long while, but I'm concerned that with prices as high as they are, "a good long while" might be a few months to about a year.

And those who did buy more expensive items, what would they have to show for their purchases if PWI were to close up shop due to profit reasons?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    My concern is the clientele of the game. It is my thought that it's mostly children and the less gainfully employed. Though, this could be figured out easily with a simple options poll on log-in. The poll should consist of three questions; age, employment statue, and household income. Off these stats, PWI should get a median income for the players. And it is my thought the median income would be substantial smaller than the GDP (so wonderfully provided by an agency known for it's *flawless* information gathering).

Charm prices, I find to be reasonable, but clothing is a bit expensive, oprional, and for the same price you could buy clothing to wear in the real world. And real world items have a higher priority than those in a game.

With this being said, it is my thought that high prices will make the possibility of this game lasting a while, seem distant. The game isn't attracting the wealthy players (they are playing more popular games like WoW and City of Heroes/Villans). And if that were to happen, those few who did invest large amounts of money into the game will be left with what?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kevpw
    kevpw Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Yeah seems prices still are very high here. It's why I went from, plans on building a strong guild here, getting territory-in game money that way. Too returning too PW-MY, which I found out alot of my friends did like wise. This game is too different the names sucks. Venomancer, that's just stupid -.- . WF, sounds better WF-WereFox. This game charges 20 dollars for zen. Which is ridiculous and surprising coming from me. Seeing as how I spent 1,000$ USD on PW-MY, because I enjoyed it that much. Yet, I refuse too spend a dime here due to the prices. 20 dollars for zen is quiet high. Where on PW-MY (Which ALOT of Americans play), prices are $5.67, for 20 zen, which we call cubi. PW-MY is very active, and profiting highly compared to this server which as no one ever buy's zen will probably shut down. Since this is a off shoot company of the main China based PW int, why not ask them for advice on your marketing solutions. As PW-CN, has 8-12 fully stocked servers. At cheap prices. Anyways I just came too see if prices dropped yet and they probably wont. So back to PW-MY I go again. Btw, your Customer Service was great compared too most games. Your prices are just too high -.- Im Kevy_Boy if anyone plays the other PW-MY-Oracle server. Oh and btw regarding the post above me. There already is a PW-EN so you can't call this server PW-EN, it's why they named it PW-Int. PW-EN is the Malaysian English speaking server. Where like 1/10 are actually malaysians and rest are around the world half of which being from America. Hence the PW-EN . Hope PW-Int knows since its based in california. Tons of california's lost their jobs, and are laid off, living off of govt, coupons-funding in some cases. Economy is getting worse everyday with people worried we're going to end up like the 1930's depression. America is flat broke. Where do you expect us to come up with a dollar yet alone 20 too spend on entertainment. I should know, I got laid off myself like most other people. So Entertainment is very high too pass the time, but at smaller cheaper prices. Your survey may show Americans making 45k a year. But, did it take into account the hundreds of thousands of people who have gotten laid off, and that number well shooting into the millions now. Which means Americans have very little too spend. PW-Int was a great idea, you just had bad timing on when too create it. In a year or ten when our economy is back to normal. Try PW-Int again, and Im sure your profits will sky rocket. Just not now when we're all broke. b:surrender Good luck with your server and too those people I played with on here. Im going back to Oracle server, sorry.
  • Transcend - Lost City
    Transcend - Lost City Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    gattsuru wrote: »

It's not a direct comparison of food to PW. I'm pointing out the lower prices that other industries are using to stay in business during these rough times versus pre-financial meltdown. It's providing a frame of reference to what's going on in our country.

For a company to charge what it believes is fair due to GDP numbers that probably don't apply to the majority of end-users, it's showing a lack of judgment. I believe PW-Int charges the most per zen/gold/whatever of any version in the world, and in such a bad environment.
    youtube.com/transcendpw

Latest Release: Electric Daisy Carnival [20 June 2013]
    Total Videos: 38
    Subscribers: 1,775
    Total Views: 1.21 million

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hitsuu - Lost City
    Hitsuu - Lost City Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    You have two options.

1. Be rich in real life and spend your money on Zen.

or

2. Be rich in game and buy Zen with in game gold.

I prefer option 2, just play the economy and you can be rich in no time:rolleyes:

Zanko~

yeah.. play the economy and be a low **** level like zanko... way to waste grind time NERD
  • Tomiko - Heavens Tear
    Tomiko - Heavens Tear Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    IMO they will change a lot of things when the competition arrives~ "PW-MS" It's not that hard to lvl up to 50+ all over again~ If they don't rush things, they will fail~

but....

Still a lot of people purchasing on Cash shop~ specially those OP boas.. so.. If they can survive with those buyers then so be it~

I'm not switching servers cuz of cash shop~ I can live with coins alone. :) but I will spend some cash if they implement what we wanted~
  • Drynog - Heavens Tear
    Drynog - Heavens Tear Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I have no problem at all with the $ - Zen - Gold rates. Even with the current exchange rates I get when buying US$ it's not too bad.

Lets look at a basic setup. You don't have to purchase the following to play, but in reality these are things most people would look at doing:

US$28 to expand inv and bank <- One off cost, (less if you do the quests first) not too bad in reality when you compare to purchase price of pay to play games.

US$10-25 for a set of clothes <- One off cost unless you like variety. Doesn't include multiple pigment purchase to get the colour you want. Again, not too bad even with the expansion price when you compare to a pay to play startup cost and a month of playing.

Then there are the rest of the cash shop items that aren't really needed to play the game (no matter how cool it looks getting around on a polar bear!). These are expensive, but in reality there will always be somebody who wants to buy the latest item, and if they want to spend US$50 on a mount then it's up to them.

Where it starts to get far too expensive for the average player is when it comes to the most important items for anybody serrious about playing....

US$2.50 for a charm that will end up lasting 1 day at most when you reach higher levels is too much. US$60+ a month is so far and above the going monthly fee for a MMORPG Pay 2 Play cost it's laughable.

As a lvl47 WB, I can drop 20% of my charm in a fb39 run if the Cleric is careless. I can easily drop just as much while doing quests as I have no "ranged" attack or "pet" to lure the mob I want from a pack, so can end up facing 2-4 mobs at the same time. I can only imagine that % increasing as time goes on and the mob damage gets higher.

The Sale price wasn't as painfull (would still like to see it drop a little to say $1.25). I can justify paying US$30 a month on charms for a game that I enjoy and even in open beta is alot more reliable to play than the game I recently purchased / quit!

In most industries, the majority of companies don't make a killing on the basic items. It's the add-ons and upsells that make the money. There will always be people willing to spend the $50-100 a month simply because they can. So by all means, offer fantastic looking mounts or flying items... offer a designer range of clothes... make $100 on a handbag if you want, but don't forget that it's the "bread and butter" customers that keep the money coming in. When the trendy people have flown off to the next great game, it's those $20-40 a month players that will keep the bills payed.

As it is at the moment, I have a stock of charms bought at the sale price. Once they run out I will need to take another look at either a)How many hours a week I can play or b)If it's worth continuing, and I know I am far from the only one who will do so.
  • Dragodarknae - Heavens Tear
    Dragodarknae - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    After reading all of the above posts I have come to a conclusion......not that it matters, LOL.

1.) People see other games offering more for less, while PWI continues to offer less for more.

2.) Yes the economy here in America sucks at the moment, so we all need a break.

Now touching on the above conclusions......

1a. WoW and Everquest2 are not as appealing to me as PWI, they are raw and rushed through production. I played EQ2 for about a month and quit because of the continued monthly costs and I refuse to pay 10-30 a month for a game that has that bad of graphics etc, it a waste of money and time to me. I played WoW for about 2 days, the graphics sucked and the people there sucked, no community involvement unless you were high level and they were all downright rude to us noobs, LOL. So that blew that 30 bucks I spent on that 3 month subscription. Now PWI offers great graphics for less clock time for free? HA im not gonna complain about the cash shop prices, everything on there is OPTIONAL, in other words, its NOT needed to excel in the game, yes you lvl slower and you look ordinary, but hey, nothing wrong with that. My wife and I think the new mount is a little ridiculous, but hey, they have to make the money off of paying the 3d artist that designed it somehow, once they do make a huge profit off the model they will lower the price and everyone will be happy.

As far as #2 goes....The economy sucks here atm and there's nothing anyone can do about it because as the economy plummets so will the amount of people buying things which will make it plummet even more so basically once in the red it will keep going down till someone overseas throws in a helping hand to boost it back up. That's the way the country runs folks, whether we like it or not. Now, what I think PWI should do is lower the cost of all the cash shop items, since we are still in OB and see how much people buy. I bet you it will be alot more than keeping it at current prices. Fact is, users cost bandwidth, bandwidth cost money, therefore in order to run efficiently they need money to run their servers at optimum capacity if not the gameplay suffers and people leave the game, then the game dies and all of us who do pay the bills for PWI loose everything we payed for.

So in conclusion(YAYYYY finally).....

Lets all be thankful for what PWI has given us to entertain ourselves during our "bored" times and lets also revolt and not buy anything until cash shop goes down!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BladeMaster of Perfect World
    Husband of VanyaDarknae
    Shylael Director
    "Be who you are lest you let yourself down. Train hard, don't kill steal and have fun, this is a game people"
  • Melancholy - Heavens Tear
    Melancholy - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    so basically everyone is just angry that the charms are still so expensive and we can live with everything else >.>
  • Kazue - Heavens Tear
    Kazue - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    And why are we basing ZEN prices off the US GDP then? Why not eh collective GDP of the EU then?

You do know if we based it off the EU, the price might be even higher.
  • Kazue - Heavens Tear
    Kazue - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I love games with fashion, and I definitely need a bigger inventory, but I'll be honest and say I won't be spending any money in the cash shop unless the prices go down. Now I know there are a lot of people that are arguing this point, both people who think the prices in the cash shop are too much and those that are just fine with the current prices. But if you read the posts, the ratio of People who think it's too expensive : People who think it's fine where it is happens to be around 40:1. Now I'm not an economic expert, but I know a lot about business and profits. I run my own business, I am a graphic designer. My fees are considerably less than any other company in the area, and I get a lot of business. I used to charge so much for my services, but when I lowered my prices my business (and income) rose by about 150%.

Here is the thing thou. I bet if you go out and asked around. You'll find 400 people who says gas price is too high to every one that says its just right. And yet I don't see the gas price comming down. And I am pretty sure if they lower gas price, more people will be buying gas. This is just the way it is. I personally bought some gold when I started the game (viewed it as I am buying the game) and now i am just trading in game coins for gold. Of course i would like to see lower prices. But since thats not going to happen, i gotta work with that i got.
  • Cat - Heavens Tear
    Cat - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Here is the thing thou. I bet if you go out and asked around. You'll find 400 people who says gas price is too high to every one that says its just right. And yet I don't see the gas price comming down. And I am pretty sure if they lower gas price, more people will be buying gas. This is just the way it is. I personally bought some gold when I started the game (viewed it as I am buying the game) and now i am just trading in game coins for gold. Of course i would like to see lower prices. But since thats not going to happen, i gotta work with that i got.

You cant use that comparison at all. Gas prices are high because there is a shortage. Not to mention other outside forces like uh the war in Iraq.. Then you have to add in the cost to obtain the rough materials, refine it, and transport it. Plus all the wages manpower etc that go into that. Its not like they can just drop gas prices ad everything be okay.

This is a game, its PIXELS on the internet. There is no cost going into making each item sold in the cash shop. Its all code, it just appears. There are no additional fees involved what so ever, no manpower to make and deliver each item, no materials involved in making each item and there is an unlimited supply of it. There is no reason to have such a high price on an endless supply of pixels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada

Didn't anyone tell you that you wanted to sleep with me?!?! I thought you knew....
  • gattsuru
    gattsuru Posts: 3,184 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Wotsmaleus :
    With a mount perhaps, but what of clothing and marriage? Those are a bit more meaningful
    I'm not sure that's the case. Clothing in-game is a primarily aesthetic choice; it only changes the appearance of your sprite, and even the benefit of not having armor visible (in PvP) can be gained by walking around in underpants. Clothing in the real world is not : it is both highly advantageous to have (lacking the proper clothing can be a social taboo, a health risk, or even get you arrested), and typically consumable. In the real world, a marriage license provides little more than a governmental permission slip and registration -- that can be used for tax breaks, but it's not really much on its own, and you'll often need to pay more for even a basic legal wedding. The Wedding Packs here, from what I understand, involve giving out at least 20 gold worth of Wines alone, in addition to other goods.
    And the kicker is, people who make the stated GDP are playing PWI for what reason? As you pointed out there are relatively cheep games.
    People don't make a GDP; it's just a number that tells you about what the size of an economy. People make income, and while the GDP/capita is related to average income, it is always significantly higher (the median income for the United States 25+ population is 32,140 USD, the median income for Malaysia is not well documented, but believed to deviate even further from GDP/capita). It's also a lot easier to get meaningful and accurate GDP/capita than average income, since the former can be modeled from large economic trends while the latter works from individuals.

Why play a free-to-play game if you make money? For starters, the average cost of living is rather impressively variable within the United States. You could easily make 32,140 USD or even 41,000 USD in New York City, but the simple cost of living means that, for basics and essentials, you'd have the same percentage of your income disposable as someone making 16,000 USD to 20,500 USD in Colorado. It's not unreasonable to find some situations where you make money but do not have it available for constant expenditures like subscription games require.

Some people are rather dramatically opposed to "subscription" style games.

Heck, some people might just find the game entertaining, and many of the "cheap" games boring.
    However, it is my understanding that expansions of WoW are included.
    WoW patches are included with the subscription. WoW expansion content is not : entering the Burning Crusade zones, or starting a character the two new races, requires a purchase of the Burning Crusade box or code. Most subscription games use a similar model, although the prices and number of expansions tend to vary.
    I wasn't aware that the GDP is a number set in stone by an agency known for it's marvelous information gathering.
    The American GDP has not, historically, varied much other than a slowed level of growth. Even during the Great Depression, it only lost a decade worth of GDP growth. GDP is merely a sum of a few values, and while it's difficult to get the numbers as an individual, it's one of the few cases where Western government have not been able to easily mislead people.
    My concern is the clientele of the game. It is my thought that it's mostly children and the less gainfully employed. Though, this could be figured out easily with a simple options poll on log-in. The poll should consist of three questions; age, employment statue, and household income.

That sort of effort relies on you getting somewhere near perfect information, which is never a given in surveys of private information and even more problematic when you're focused on economic information. People do tend to lie about how much money they make, especially when it would alter what fees they encounter.

It'd also only be helpful if PWI was interested in only their current users. If the average income from this theoretical survey is significantly less than the Malaysian average income, that doesn't mean that PWI needs to drop prices -- it means that their current userbase almost certainly won't be profitable, and they need to find a different marketing scheme.
    But here's the real kicker, WHO is PWI being marketed to?

That's not the real issue. The issue is who PWI is supposed to be profit from, and what density of players that the server model can support.

The trick to free-to-play games is that individual server, resources, and bandwidth costs, while high, can be supported without a lot of payers. Judging from my bandwidth and the number of players I've seen in-game, I've built servers that had higher requirements and run them (at profit) off just advertisements. Meanwhile, having players is essential toward having more players in the future; "hardcore" MMO players have a very high tendency to prefer games with a large playerbase, and they're also more likely to have more income and more expendable income. Free players who like the game tend to inform other players, and word-of-mouth is what MMOs thrive on. Keeping the interests and connections of these lower-value customers is essential toward getting better odds in the future.

Take a look at MapleStory's numbers. They've been wildly successful, and that's with costs not horribly far off. Most players don't buy, but they encourage others to play, and the rare ones that do purchase have relatively lucrative results.

Drynog
    As a lvl47 WB, I can drop 20% of my charm in a fb39 run if the Cleric is careless. I can easily drop just as much while doing quests as I have no "ranged" attack or "pet" to lure the mob I want from a pack, so can end up facing 2-4 mobs at the same time. I can only imagine that % increasing as time goes on and the mob damage gets higher.
    While it requires changing weapons, Barbarians can use Bows. You won't do much damage, but it'll give you the 20 foot range that's great for pulling off individual mobs.

Do make sure to hotkey a switch back, though, since you can't even True Form with a bow equipped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thirst
    thirst Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    prices wont change. ima free load till the europe version and see how that is. even its a 2 to 1 cash shop thing that works for me, i can actually use more than one character finally. its just like gas, i drive little further down the street to get a better price, even if its a few cents. b:victory
  • Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear
    Azraelkurai - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Here is the thing thou. I bet if you go out and asked around. You'll find 400 people who says gas price is too high to every one that says its just right. And yet I don't see the gas price comming down.

This statement is actually quite amusing to me. Gas prices dropped from $3.79 to $2.81 over the last week and a half.

Just thought I would point that little bit of irony out, lol.
  • jcbonecrusher
    jcbonecrusher Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    how do i start to play?
    b:angry
  • chainfall
    chainfall Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    $50 for 53 gold doesn't seem like a very smart move to me. Maybe I'm cheap.

I personally think it should at least buy double that amount of gold.
    STO would have been better as a Stargate MMO than it is as Star Trek. Go figure.

~Karona@Sobekeus
    Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier Exterminatus
  • Jin_nique - Heavens Tear
    Jin_nique - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Do not forget the people that switched over frm PW MY and the original PW which caters mainly to ppl in China! I live in Singapore, which is in Asia. (No, not part of China, Singapore is an Independent Republic. Look up Google Maps and Wikipedia for more info.) SG$1 actually equals to US$1.40 aprox. How the heck am I supposed to be able to afford the cash shop items, expecially since I'm still a student? >=0 At this rate, I'm gng back to WoW, even if I have to play on a private server ( Read: Laggy as hell). =/
    You can take the soldier out of the fight,
    but you can't take the fight outta the soldier!

-Jin_Nique
  • Eliatron - Lost City
    Eliatron - Lost City Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    All I have to say is that I dont find prices too high since I dont know how much youve been paying in others mmo. This is actually the first time I got involved in a mmo, never actually being attracted too much.

Advantages:
    1- its the first game Ive seen that allows ppl to sell the CS item ingame for coin. I mean, I havent spent a single USD but I got already a Safe and Inv stone, and one time Ill buy also a mount, with game money. Thats a possibility that other games dont offer, so I find it very attractive.
    2-Those who have money (like in real life) will have some advantages over those who does not spend money. Wanting to spend money its associated to better food, better clothes, etc, in this game I believe is the same; if you spend money you actually level faster, you look prettier, just like in real like. Lets face it, not everyone can buy a channel dress.
    3- Altough I dont know if possible, but Ill suggest that prices should varies. Hows that?

Well, being an "International" games, prices are only based on US Economy, as far as we have read from the post of an admin.
    My suggestion is this one: Each country should have a Cash Shop for each item according to Per Capita Income's Country or something related to how much people earn.
    This way everyone would be able to buy and not only US and EU communities. Its a fact that most players are from us and european countries, in this case prices can be the same for them, but for others countries could be an extra income for non us-eu contries.

Just a suggestion :D
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    This game is same as real life gambling (if you spend RL money) You spend what you want cause you CAN, just like in casinos. Nobody goes to complain to the manager of the casino to cheapen the coins just cause they ran out of money. I see alot of players doing that. "Cheapen the boutique cause my money doesnt last!" Nobody is forcing you to play. There are MMO games out there that deal with even MORE RL money.

The only complaint I would have related to the pricing is that the cash shop is expensive... and the ONLY reason I would say that is because we are paying for a game HALF done (and half bugged sometimes) compared to the china/malaysia/japan PW versions. Been looking and reading at the PW JP page and they have double triple the amount compared to ours.

http://perfect-w.jp/item_ticket_shop/item_fashion/

PWI is like a clothing store selling wholesell items(items that have miniscule mistakes but sellable usually at lower price) at the retail+ price... that I think is pretty unfair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan