7 Days? Are you insane?

Options
aina
aina Posts: 5 Arc User
edited October 2008 in General Discussion
I just made a character. I decided afterward I want to be a Cleric instead. I go to delete my character and it says I have to wait 7 DAYS!? So I can't play now for 7 days? I want to keep my name. Wow possibly the worst thing I have ever seen.
Post edited by aina on

Comments

• anima
    anima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ...you can creat a new char to play. The 7 days is the period that they hold the char for you, so if you want him back, you can. While in others game, if you press yes, your char's gone forever...
    Oh well, choose a new name then ^^.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aina
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I'm not choosing a new name. If I delete my character I obviously want it gone. It's level 1 why would I be sad if it disappeared? They either let me play now or I'm probably not going to come back. Who wants to wait a week just to delete a character?
  • bluejen
    bluejen Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    if after 7 days when your character is deleted you will still not get your name back
    since the names are stored on a database
  • kissubang
    kissubang Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Having a name take up space on a server after deletion and never viable to be used again is probably one of the most idiotic things I have ever heard of for an MMO. That makes absolutely no sense at all.
  • bluejen
    edited September 2008
    Options
    actually i read about this info on another thread.... so i am not sure myself
    i tried looking for the thread but i cannot find it again... sorry
  • kissubang
    kissubang Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I hope it's not true, jen. I'm sorry if my post sounded angry at you by the way, it wasn't directed that way, but to the idea of the deletion method.
  • bluejen
    edited September 2008
    Options
    hahaha i was a bit scared you would flame me.....
  • semii
    semii Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Wish you could keep the name, in another free mmo (poorly managed since 07) If you delete a char, the name becomes useable.

Edit: 7 days is like silkroad (a game I will never play again because of the poor community.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am undead.
  • evrilysis
    evrilysis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    In PW MY-EN after it was deleted you could use the name again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • godcrusher
    godcrusher Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I don't think any game not let you use the same name after it's deleted... 7 days is just for back up. Shud've made it 3 days.

Anyway you can get creative and make more names.
  • anima
    anima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Wells, it is your fault to pick the wrong class ^^. Cannot blame anyone for it though. Just think up another good IGN, or wait 7 days, or even quit. It's your choice.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aina
    edited September 2008
    Options
    My fault? I didn't pick the wrong class. I changed my mind on what I wanted to be. No one is at "fault" for that. It shouldn't be a inconvenience to make a new character. There's no reason for a 7 day wait to delete my character.
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    bluejen wrote: »
    if after 7 days when your character is deleted you will still not get your name back

Don't talk about what you don't know.

I really hated L2's 7 day deletion, it's illogical.
    Level 10- characters should not have any deletion delay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • ruve
    ruve Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    Don't talk about what you don't know.

I really hated L2's 7 day deletion, it's illogical.
    Level 10- characters should not have any deletion delay.

I completely agree.
    IGN ~ Ruve ~ 2x Wizard
    Server ~ Lost City
    420ifur
  • aina
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Fixed yet?
  • Myspace - Heavens Tear
    Myspace - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I'm gonna have to agree with most of these people. 7 day wait is kinda lame, but understandable. But the name should become available. I also agree that it should be 3 days not 7, or no wait for people under lvl 10.

I went crazy making characters, and made all you are allowed too. Then I was like, "I'll delete one and make another" ...nope... unless I wait a full week. The only benefir I see is maybe less strain on their servers, but in that case, deleting a name would save space on their servers. :/ who knows.
  • Raaven - Sanctuary
    Raaven - Sanctuary Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The database here does not release the name. So it is gone forever, perhaps at some time they will have a purge s names will be avilable again, but currently the staff has stated, they know of the issue and it is being worked on eventually as I understand it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Siggy Rotation time! Thanks to Zirconium for this lovely one!
    Item Data Base: pwdatabase.com/pwi
    Race Quests:
    Elf: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=5321
    Human: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=28411
    Untamed: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=36221
  • Kamatayan - Lost City
    Kamatayan - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Everyone just chill :D
    b:victory
  • Raaven - Sanctuary
    Raaven - Sanctuary Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Originally Posted by makeshift GM response!I have the same problem. Last Friday (9/19) I spoke to a GM about it ingame. He said - its a problem they know of- I'm not the only one- they are trying to fix it- It is currently not possible to reuse the names. (GMs cannot do it manually)Thats not word for word but its basically the answers he gave me. The GM's name was FrankieRaye.hope this helps you guys a bit.
    THIS

yep, its a problem that we're aware of. The Home Office in Beijing is aware of it and looking into it. Unfortunately I cannot give you an ETA as to when this issue is expected to be resolved.

As spoken by Admin Dvorak in this thread

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=56781&page=3

Just to clear everything up for those that were concerned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Siggy Rotation time! Thanks to Zirconium for this lovely one!
    Item Data Base: pwdatabase.com/pwi
    Race Quests:
    Elf: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=5321
    Human: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=28411
    Untamed: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=36221
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Uhm ok so get this scenario:

You and your friend(e-gf) have a big fight and they log into ur account and delete all your chars. Now you log in the next day and just cancel the deletion and change ur pass and live hapily every after.

So STOP bitchin about something thats good!

I do agree deleted names should be avail afterwards and the cooldown could be made less for low lvl chars. But then again I have a lvl1 mule that has lots of money and some zen, so maybe not.
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Smex makes a very good point. The setup has its uses, even if those uses aren't viable for everyone. About the name reservation past the cooldown bit, they said they were working on that.

It's not that hard to just come up with another name. My original IGNs were Haiku and Shissou, but I had to make /Haiku/ and /Shissou/ to replace them. I liked my IGNs, so I found a way to keep using them. Try using symbols like ™ at the end. Get creative. `-`
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I made a mistake in my first character and so remade it with a single letter change in its name. Eventually you will be able to reuse names, but for now try not to get too attached to a name.
  • Twilyte - Heavens Tear
    Twilyte - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    You beat me to it, Smexxyfox!

Just because some people can't see a reason for it, does not mean a valid reason DOES exist beyond their myopic scope of things.

That is one valid reason (as was brought up in other versions when this same question was asked), and also it prevents accidental deletion without a second chance at cancelling the action.

And for those that try and petition for chars under level 10 shouldn't have a waiting period? Well, wait till you actually become a player that uses low level mules to store stuff if you don't want to pay for bank expansion or use low level chars (mostly elves since they can fly right away) to goto Archosaur and do nothing but be a shop while you play on your main. I do this all the time as I set up an older computer that I have that lags too much to actually "play" but still runs the game and I just park a low level Cleric shop while I play my main.

Next time you goto Archosaur, take the time to look at several of the shops, and more importantly, look at the character. You will notice a growing number of low level geared elves running shops selling higher level loot.

Now, how much would you whine if you didn't have a waiting period and then, one night when you were tired, you deleted your storage char or your vendor. You'd be saying "They need to have some sort of waiting period or a way to cancel a deletion."

And, they are working on the name fix. It was not intended to be that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adra12
    adra12 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    And for now with the name issue since the game character names are case sensitive just capitolize or uncapitolize a single letter in the name and u'll be fine
  • julio69
    julio69 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    bluejen wrote: »

lol you will get ur name back O.O.

I already got names back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RageQuit Inc.