Is there "PK Harassment"?

Bean - Lost City
Bean - Lost City Posts: 105 Arc User
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Now, I understand that this game does not allow harassment on the basis of it being sexual-preference, racial, or gender related but is PKing a person constantly a bannable offense? It seems rather silly for a game to allow PKing but then limit it to general Pking? It seems odd. Of course I've only heard rumors of bans taking place for what I will call "PK Harassment". I would like to know if this is true and whether or not it is truly harassment if the game allows PKing.

-Yours,
Dr. Bean
A level 100 BM trapped in a 58 Cleric Forum Pic... These Pikachus are on a hunger-strike / slap fest until the forum moderators and/or GMs fix this issue... kthxbai b:angry

"What would Pikachu Do?"-Dr. Bean
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Bean - Lost City on

Comments

• kitties
    kitties Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    GMs will step in and threaten to ban for PK'ing.
    I agree. It's stupid.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It seems absurd for banning people simply due to PKing. But if you were targeting a single person over and over without rest and not letting them enjoy the game, I would see how it would be harassment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mihimaru - Heavens Tear
    Mihimaru - Heavens Tear Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    If the PK is continuous, and the certain person/group is specifically hunting you down in order to hinder yer leveling and game enjoyment for a long term, then yes. And I dont mean a few silly PK's, I mean really camping outside res points and ignoring other players just to go after a specific person etc. This could be seen as harassment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The self-proclaimed pink haired gremlin master of Starlight
  • Ren - Lost City
    Ren - Lost City Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It ain't harassment. If you want to be a carebear crybaby, don't play the pvp server.

If it were "harassment", they'd have to ban Cancer and then people would be outraged since hes an anti-RQ then the pvp server dies.

Harassment is things you can't stop or avoid, like people blocking your shops in town and making it blatantly obvious to boot. You can avoid getting PKed all the time by using your magical little radar, a mount, and your brain.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zoe is so full of it, that he must be Karmelia.
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    harass
    1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.

It is technically harassment if a person is targeting a single person nonstop like Mihi said. Whether it's legal or not, is an entirely different story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kinohki - Lost City
    Kinohki - Lost City Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    The Kin has played a few PK games, including RF Online, one of the best PK games created, in The Kin's opinion. Just poorly managed, but thats not important.

As with any PK game, there is a limit to what you can do. Games are all about fun, and PK is just an element of challenge. However, we also must take in account the fact that there IS a person on the other side of the character you're PK'ing.

Imagine this scenerio.

You're roaming around, tryng to work on a quest, killing dustwraithers when someone comes along and Wham! You're mince meat. Okay, no big deal, you town res, then go about your business only to be killed a couple of minutes later. Wham! Same guykills you again. Mince meat. Now let's say this goes on for 3 hours and you move, the guy then followsyou to your new location and pesters you there for another hour. That, is what the Kin would call harassment. PK'ing is fun and addictive, but intentionally targeting the same person gets lame, fast. Put yourself in that person's shoes and imagine how you would like 3-4 people constantly ganking you everytime.

PK'ing is fine, however killing the same person consecutively for say 2 hours is beyond lame. There's no "Carebearing" to it, like people claim. No one likes having their time interrupted, and not all of us have 8-10 hours a day to play like some do. If you want to kill someone, kill them a few times, then let them be on their way unless they attack you back for vengeance. After that, they're fair game, but we have to have some sort of limitations.

-Kinohki
  • thom
    thom Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Yeah not sure about at which point it becomes harassment,thats up to GM's, but constantly pking same player over and over again long enough would fall into this category. PKing same guild over and over i dont think falls into this category.

Its only about one single player in my opinion.

It has nothing to do about being carebear. Its just part of ToS to ensure that everyone has even chances to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThommiX - Harvest Leader

8x Barbarian

-Lost city-
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    kitties wrote: »
    GMs will step in and threaten to ban for PK'ing.
    I agree. It's stupid.

This is 100% untrue.

If you're playing on the PvP server, you made a conscious decision to play on a server with Open PvP.

If you get PKed on the PvE server, you made a conscious decision to turn your PvP flag on or off.

In either case, a GM will not step in and threaten anyone with a ban.

HOWEVER, if someone verbally harasses anyone, or repeatedly publicly discriminates someone, then a GM will indeed step in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • evrilysis
    evrilysis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    There you have it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    xarfox wrote: »
    This is 100% untrue.

If you're playing on the PvP server, you made a conscious decision to play on a server with Open PvP.

If you get PKed on the PvE server, you made a conscious decision to turn your PvP flag on or off.

In either case, a GM will not step in and threaten anyone with a ban.

HOWEVER, if someone verbally harasses anyone, or repeatedly publicly discriminates someone, then a GM will indeed step in.
    So you're condoning what Kin on the previous page described? There's PK and then there's PK that wastes people's playing time. If somebody's time is wasted, they will probably quit. You lose a potential customer. How can you condone ruining a person's playing experience like that?

It's like laws. People are free to do what they want, but they are not free to exercise their freedom such that it impedes the freedom of others to enjoy their freedoms.

How can you condone the situation Kin described? It impedes on a person's choice to play on the PK server, and have fun. The PKer having fun should not be at the expense of their victims, especially repeatedly. If somebody is not having fun, they will not play, or think about paying for the game.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Feraldreamz - Heavens Tear
    Feraldreamz - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    bron wrote: »
    So you're condoning what Kin on the previous page described? There's PK and then there's PK that wastes people's playing time. If somebody's time is wasted, they will probably quit. You lose a potential customer. How can you condone ruining a person's playing experience like that?

It's like laws. People are free to do what they want, but they are not free to exercise their freedom such that it impedes the freedom of others to enjoy their freedoms.

How can you condone the situation Kin described? It impedes on a person's choice to play on the PK server, and have fun. The PKer having fun should not be at the expense of their victims, especially repeatedly. If somebody is not having fun, they will not play, or think about paying for the game.

That's what I got out the the response xarfox made. As long as you don't verbally abuse or publicly discriminate, you are allowed to bully a person to the point where they either make a new character, quit the game or change servers.
  • bron
    edited September 2008
    Which ain't right, and if they do condone that, then they're gonna make a heck of a lot of people unhappy and quit, thereby losing potential income.

Killed one time, sure. Killed repeatedly in an area, sure. Followed? That impedes on people enjoying the game.
  • evrilysis
    edited September 2008
    Realize that the PvP server is meant for open PK.

A large portion of the players realize that concept, therefore choosing PvP or PvE according to their preferences.

When you choose the PvP server, expect to be randomly PKed and griefed.

The majority of the PvP players ENJOY that freedom, which was their deciding factor in choosing the PvP server. Meaning that the number of "potential customers that become unhappy and quit" is a very small number compared to the number of players that "are happy that the GMs are going along with the server rules and continue playing".

There are two servers, PvP and PvE. There is no in-between.

If you're not satisfied with the rules on the servers, I suggest you find another game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bron
    edited September 2008
    Heh, was waiting for somebody like this.

No, you find another game, which is the chicken's way out. Seriously, people playing PVP just won't do it.

The fact that people play on the non teaparty server means they like the risk, given. But there comes a point at which it's either quit or go play another game like you said, and some people prefer to not quit. You of all people should understand this concept: Giving up is giving in to being bullied, and that's not how a PVP server works is it? If everybody gave in, there would be no risk or fun to be had amirite?

We're going off topic with this. The reason to my original reply was that the stand GMs are taking is not a good one, in my opinion. That's the point of the reply, not be told by you what I already know, but to express an opinion of being dissatisfied with the stand the GMs are taking.
  • Tomiko - Heavens Tear
    Tomiko - Heavens Tear Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It ain't harassment. If you want to be a carebear crybaby, don't play the pvp server.

If it were "harassment", they'd have to ban Cancer and then people would be outraged since hes an anti-RQ then the pvp server dies.

Harassment is things you can't stop or avoid, like people blocking your shops in town and making it blatantly obvious to boot. You can avoid getting PKed all the time by using your magical little radar, a mount, and your brain.......

:cool::cool::cool::cool:
  • Meatshield - Lost City
    Meatshield - Lost City Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    If I see any of you cry-babies in game. I will continuously pk you over and over, and I don't care if I'm 30 lvls higher.

Its an open PK server, getting pked to much? GO TO A NEW AREA.

Simple solution.

And don't tell me I don't know how it is, I'm RQ, most of the server hates us, most of the server TRIES to do this to us. They fail though, because we are superior.

So yeah, don't like getting pked? Reroll pve server.

I have NEVER...EVER, played an open pvp server that stepped in if somebody got pk'ed to much. And I hope I never do, as I would QUIT in a heartbeat.
    Pray for mercy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When kneeling before us gets old.
    RQClan.com
  • bron
    edited September 2008
    Meat I know all about you and what you guys do, and how it is. You did kinda miss my point a little though, sorry to say.

I've never heard reports of RQ actually following people out of one area to a new area (After killing a random, not somebody in a guid against RQ). You guys have better things to do, no? As you said, go to a new area if you're bothered. Getting followed, that's a bit overkill to just annoy somebody. Even a guild such as yours has limits on how far they'd go in what they do, amirite? Post number 13. So yea, go to a new area is the normal solution.

So um yea, I really don't need to post here anymore. Just wanted to point out you may have missed that.

Go on and do what you do, and um, other such stuff.
  • evrilysis
    edited September 2008
    bron wrote: »
    Heh, was waiting for somebody like this.

No, you find another game, which is the chicken's way out. Seriously, people playing PVP just won't do it.

The fact that people play on the non teaparty server means they like the risk, given. But there comes a point at which it's either quit or go play another game like you said, and some people prefer to not quit. You of all people should understand this concept: Giving up is giving in to being bullied, and that's not how a PVP server works is it? If everybody gave in, there would be no risk or fun to be had amirite?

We're going off topic with this. The reason to my original reply was that the stand GMs are taking is not a good one, in my opinion. That's the point of the reply, not be told by you what I already know, but to express an opinion of being dissatisfied with the stand the GMs are taking.

The risk is always there, and PK can happen anytime. If you prefer not to quit, you can either:

1- Grind harder so you can stand your own ground.

2- Join a competent guild that will have your back.

3- Reroll on the PvE server.

I agree with your concept, so in your situation you can choose one of the above following.

And actually giving in has nothing to do with how the PvP server works. Open PK is the defining factor of the PvP server and if the GMs went against the defining factor of the PvP server, there would be no reason to have one. If everyone gave in and left the PvP server, it would just increase the competition. It's the same thing as a college football game verses a professional football game.

And the reason the OP made this thread was to get confirmation on the GMs' actions.

If you're dissatisfied with the response you can always leave, but since you already stated that you don't want to, you'll have to just stick with it. You could also post a thread in the suggestions forum but I doubt that will go anywhere.

-No flame was intended in any part of this post, I appreciate people who can debate a subject intelligently. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bron
    edited September 2008
    Nah, I'm good. Most stuff there falls on deaf ears anyway.

I like intelligent debate too. It's when people start insulting each other and tempers flare is when threads get closed and stuff (*eyeroll*), which I haven't seen yet.

Peace ya'll. Or lack thereof? Whatever suits your fancy. The staff response is there, and that was the point of the read, so let's all skedaddle cause there's really no need to say anything else, eh? I just looked and saw there was more, so I checked it out for the heck of it.
  • bigaussie
    bigaussie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I can see this has turned out like a typical pvp thread, "carebear" phrase is a term made up by kids who think they are untouchable with thier high lvl chars, so sad. As for the GMs reply, i think its wrong, this game never started on a good foot in the first place, dont think it will end any better either. This is just like a private server, with a forum that had a blank box they had to figure out what to put in there, so they used a made up ToS just to throw in, then manipulate where they see fit
  • evrilysis
    edited September 2008
    Go play a different game then.

Or better yet, learn English.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]