A few points on the archer

mysticism
mysticism Posts: 7 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Archer
Hi, still fairly new to this game but i have a few queries/points i want to raise about the archer i am currently playing. There seems to be a minimum distance on bows for maximum damage, why is there one as it doesn't make sense? An arrow fired from a close distance would have more energy and hence do more damage in real life. Yes i understand this game isn't real life but this minimum distance puts archers at a disadvantage comapred to other classes.

Another point is about the arrow drop rate. Am yet to see any arrows drop from bad guys which means archers have to buy or craft arrows and repair their bow when it breaks. Plenty or ore shots drop but no arrows yet. Is the drop rate different? I take it a barbarian has to repair his weapon and that's it, no other added expense weapon wise? Yet another disadvantage to playing a ranger.
Post edited by mysticism on

Comments

• l0ki
    l0ki Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    mysticism wrote: »
    Hi, still fairly new to this game but i have a few queries/points i want to raise about the archer i am currently playing. There seems to be a minimum distance on bows for maximum damage, why is there one as it doesn't make sense? An arrow fired from a close distance would have more energy and hence do more damage in real life. Yes i understand this game isn't real life but this minimum distance puts archers at a disadvantage comapred to other classes.

Another point is about the arrow drop rate. Am yet to see any arrows drop from bad guys which means archers have to buy or craft arrows and repair their bow when it breaks. Plenty or ore shots drop but no arrows yet. Is the drop rate different? I take it a barbarian has to repair his weapon and that's it, no other added expense weapon wise? Yet another disadvantage to playing a ranger.

It's called balance.. Just think what you can do when Barbs/BMs gets close to you,and you start hitting them with your arrows and dealing maximun dmg per hit. *Ouch!* BMs go down, Barbs go down and they'll post in this forum naming their thread "ARCHERS F***KING IMBA!*

I suggest you buy arrows rather than crafting them.. They say it's cheaper~

and Yes..Repair sucks.. i'm 39 and I'm getting 5k repairs on my stuffs just like my lvl 37 Bm.. I think everyone needs to repair their weapon just like mages and clerics.

Mana + Arrows + Repairs + skills = Explains why archers are so Expensive... but it depends on how you play it~
  • bluetiger
    bluetiger Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    regarding the arrow drop rate, you can use slingshots instead.
    They do less damage but it is cheaper (use dropped bullets) and the normal attacks are a little faster than bows.
    I also noticed that arrow drops more often when I was playing venomancer.
    It could be the mobs in the area or the game wanting to make like a little more difficult for EA for balance purpose.
  • mysticism
    mysticism Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Ok thanks, will buy arrows from now on. About your balance point, i don't understand, surely the barbs etc have higher armour or skills that slow down the amount of damage they take? Also when close they hit hard because of the archers weak armour so another reason why they should remove the minimum distance thing from the bows etc...

Think i will stick with bows bluetiger they look better imo :) lol
  • achika
    achika Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    OK,

First) Have you fired a bow in real life? you try to fire a bow at close range while someone is attacking you, honestly you shouldnt even be able to, half damage is generous.

Second) Archers do get expensive, atm im playing one as my first character, im lvl 29, I raise all 4 crafts skills(3 BS, 3 Ap,3 Ta, 2 Craft), do DQ's, buy 11 cost ammunition, Spend money on condensed mana/healing pots, reparis, and buying skill ranks; but i am still barely managing to take care of that.

Endurance on armor is determined by damage taken, since archers can easily kill most mobs there level and lower w/o getting hit, I have never once had to repair armor.. other classes have to alot more.

Mages/Priests personally use up more SP and Coins on skill ranks and also have to spend money on more Mana pots since skills use more.

Crafting arrows and bolts is pointless and needs to seriously be re-worked in this game, it gives no experience towards crafting and also costs ALOT more than arrows themselves...1000 lvl 2 arrows costs 11k, crafting 1000 arrows? closer to 100k cost. The only good thing about this is crafting highest possible arrows you can use in hopes for crit rate +1%, anything helps in PvP.

Overall an archer has 2 upclose magical damage skills that make it do well even against blader and WB, and has probably the highest DPS rate in the game. Its lack of defense is met with the ability to do massive spike damage after breaking their Heiro. This information is gotten merely by observation and reading ahead since I'm lvl 29 and have never done pvp in this game, if any errors exist pleas epoint them out. So far of what i've seen the archer is the most effective and versatile dps class in the game making them a great tool in TW as well as amazing Pkers. The classes are balanced and excel in there own ways but I personally prefer this one.