Physical Resistance VS equipment bonus resistance.

ntsuagzz
ntsuagzz Posts: 22 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Cleric
I need help and i don't unerstand the different between this type of resistance...please anyone help me clear this confusion.

what is better

example: a ring that have a total of 50 physical resistance or a ring that have +25 earth, +25 water, +25 fire +25 mag...and low physical resistance like 5 to 6.

WHich is better of ??
Post edited by ntsuagzz on

Comments

• Deafjesus - Lost City
    Deafjesus - Lost City Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Depending on your class.. What is your class??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Which Character are you? --http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest
  • ntsuagzz
    ntsuagzz Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    cleric.....
  • Harsh - Heavens Tear
    Harsh - Heavens Tear Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    First off I'd say as a Cleric physical resistance won't be as much of help than magic resistance.

Why do I say that? Because as a Cleric you will be focussing more on INT rather than strength or vitality. The reason is obvious that Cleric needs magic damage higher to heal or deal damage more. Investing large amount of points in strength and vitality is practically useless. Clerics mostly use arcane/light gear which has low physical defense so investing more points in physical defense won't get you more than say 30% reduction?

However since you will have more points in Intelligence, You would have higher magic defense. Investing more in magic defense will be an ideal choice as far as I am concerned. But that's just my point of view. If you're on PVP server, I do think that clerics will need a fair amount of points in Vitality to survive better (in PVP).
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It really depends on what you are fighting. If you get attacked mostly by magic, you want elemental resistance. If you are getting attacked mostly by physical attacks you want physical resistance.

I will assume your goal is just to be ready for anything. With that in mind I have the exact opposite view as the previous poster. I would say focus on physical defense and here is why. Defense works as an exponetial curve. A little defense goes a long way when you do not have much defense while a huge amount makes little difference when you already have a lot. Here is what I mean (the numbers are entirely made up because they change every level). If you have 10% physical damage reduction adding another 100 physical defense may very well raise you to 20% physical damage reduction. If you already have 50% elemental damage reduction adding another 100 elemental defense might raise you to 51% or may even leave you at 50%. This is because it take much larger amount of defense to make any difference as your percentage gets higher. 50% seems to be around the magic number. Once you get 50% damage reduction trying to get any higher than that really gets hard. Huge amounts of increased defense give only a few percent damage reduction. If I have to choose between 50 physical defense or 250 defense to all 5 elements I take that 50 physical defense because it makes a bigger percent difference.
  • Kyou - Heavens Tear
    Kyou - Heavens Tear Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Either wear "light armor" (That means you need to boost Str. and Dex. quite a bit) or increase Vit. and wear "arcane armor".

It all depends what you like better - more HP or better physical defense.

Either way, Clerics must (order of importance/money):

1. Have HP/MP potions or...
    2. Have a MP hiero or...
    3. Have a HP hiero

That's the only way I've found to play the game with the Cleric class effectively.
    You could always try the "heavy armor" Cleric, but that might be a bit risky if it's your first time playing Cleric.
    I have yet to try it myself, but according to my mental calculations, I believe it could be possible.
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    My cleric has 5 vit, 5 dex, and just enough strength to wear the arcane armor. Such a cleric can be quite effective as long as you know what you are made for. You need to learn to kill opponents before they can get to you if they do physical damage. This is not so hard since one of our main attacks slows their run speed. Such a build will die more frequently than the other builds, but it also has more mp, faster mp regen, and more powerful spells of all types (both offense and healing).
  • cjtign
    cjtign Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Either wear "light armor" (That means you need to boost Str. and Dex. quite a bit) or increase Vit. and wear "arcane armor".

It all depends what you like better - more HP or better physical defense.

Either way, Clerics must (order of importance/money):

1. Have HP/MP potions or...
    2. Have a MP hiero or...
    3. Have a HP hiero

That's the only way I've found to play the game with the Cleric class effectively.
    You could always try the "heavy armor" Cleric, but that might be a bit risky if it's your first time playing Cleric.
    I have yet to try it myself, but according to my mental calculations, I believe it could be possible.

A good cleric should have all 3 of those

Don't try heavy armour I tried the hybrid version (seriously think its dumb to try full heavy armour) and my cleric was drastically weaker in comparison to arcane / light armour.

When you have 20 of every 30 seconds with HP -> MP absorb 80% and heiros and ironheart and decent vitality and phys resis on your necky and bonuses and buff arcane is seriously the best option. I have tried all three options in PvP and I seriously think that Arcane is the best although there are obvious situations where light armour is better but overall that is my vote.

Also, If you go light armour or heavy armour you not only gimp your heals and damage but you gimp your magic resistance so theres trade offs at every turn that one needs to consider. I don't think anyone can say definitively that one is better then the other this game is rather balanced so that no matter where you go you will have a weakness (or you can go light armour and sorta be average in everything).

However in my opinion arcane is the best option... to each his own

-Jagermeister

"Pking since pong"