Manual Patch problem?

imaginos
imaginos Posts: 27 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Support Desk
Is anybody else having trouble downloading the manual patch? The farthest I've ever seen it get is something like 4% before just hanging. This little ongoing patch odyssey every single time the game is updated is getting really irritating.
Post edited by imaginos on

Comments

• gogglesvk
    gogglesvk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Yea, this is happening to me...so now I can't play T_T

It keeps failing on "tasks.data"
  • imaginos
    edited September 2008
    No, I'm not talking about the automatic patcher. I'm talking about the manual patch that's hosted in the download area of the site. Never gets anywhere.
  • gogglesvk
    gogglesvk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Ohh, i see. I'm trying the auto-patch and I'm totally stuck.
  • Rosa - Heavens Tear
    Rosa - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Yeah me too Imaginos, I'm trying to get the manual patch and it's just stopping at 6% and 1% then nothing, sometimes says "Not Responding" Auto Patcher not working either and I've spent hours trying everything. Even uninstalled the game accidentally and had to re install now the game is at vers 1 again and can't patch it with either manual or auto...I wanted to play so bad I went back to the MY server and their patches update lickedy split for me....I don't understand. LoL^^ I hope they figure it all out. =)
  • Lady_alexis - Heavens Tear
    Lady_alexis - Heavens Tear Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Tried Downloading it (manual patch) 3 times

Bombed first time at 7.3 Megs
    Bombed second time at 17.8 Megs
    Bombed third time at 15.3 Megs

then gave up and downloaded 1.6GB with no problems for a new game I'm considering

because I'm starting to see these PWI people have no fraking idea...if your English
    How to change your portrait from ? to you.
    1.) logout, login
    2.) on your login picture click "change" (sample)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    or use the manual link (must be logged in)
    ttp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/avatar.php
    (copy and paste and add the 'h' , Your not allowed links in sigs)
  • eniac
    eniac Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Evidently PWE uses the same flaky server software for the manual patches that they do for the auto patches. With IE my download crawled along a while, then broke in the middle. :(

But everything changed when I used download accelerator software. With Getright set to accelerate using 4 segments and resume after 1 minute of inactivity up to 9999 times, I zipped pretty fast through the download. Shiny! :cool:
  • imaginos
    edited September 2008
    Wonder if there's any chance of getting the patch mirrored or something. As fascinating as all this hassle is, I would much rather be playing the game.
  • zenrau
    zenrau Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    well i actually managed to get it downloaded after a long time BUT it says "update file corrupt"

i mean, i understand this is just open beta but shouldn't the first priority right now be making sure people can actually get into the game so they can test it. i've sent a few different support tickets and the only one they replied to i was given a cut/paste answer of something darthpanda said here on the forums. i don't know if it was him that sent the reply but it was his statement word for word. and of course the answer did not work.

::EDIT::

just tried the patch again (didn't download again, just ran the patcher again) and it worked
  • imaginos
    edited September 2008
    If only I could manage something like that. The patcher here seems pretty well committed to the cause of being non-functional. I must have restarted the stupid thing a hundred times. It's starting to look like I'm just done with this game, and not by choice.
  • imaginos
    edited September 2008
    Ok, let's try a different tack. Has anybody actually managed to successfully download a working copy of the manual patch? If so, could you be kind enough to upload it to a hosting site yourself and give the rest of us a link? I checked the IP that my browser connects to to try downloading the patch; it pings fine, it tracerts fine. So I have no idea what the problem is, and I've certainly never experienced this level of difficulty downloading any other files on any other website I've ever been to. Apparently there's no hurry for an official mirror, and I'm getting really sick of waiting on them to master the fine art of http file transfers.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    The patch servers were getting hammered heavily for awhile.

Putting up external mirrors is quick and easy if you are a small, indie developer.

When you are a medium sized, yet small game dev/publisher, and your HQ is in China, communicating and getting everything working with the US office and the Beijing office, and where the servers are located, it just doesn't go as smooth as you think it could go.

Plus there are legal hoops to jump through, various policies and other technical issues that have to be adhered to.

Keep re-trying to access the manual patch, or re-trying the in-game patcher. See the threads on the forums related to IP addresses and other networking issues.

So patience is needed. Everyone wishes things could go a little bit faster! :D
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • calibix
    calibix Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Well, I've just recently received my copy of the game, and have successfully downloaded all manual patches. Auto patcher still hangs on iconlist_guild.dds file, no amount of restarting has fixed this. Any attempt to try the manual patches always results in update files corrupt message.

I've read all the stickies, tried all the workarounds, so if anyone has some advice besides just keep trying to restart the auto updater, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Well, I just tried the manual installs again and they just magically worked, so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Firefox was a huge help in downloading the patches as well.
  • imaginos
    edited September 2008
    Sweet that you actually got it to work. You wouldn't happen to have the ability to upload the manual patch to rapidshare or something like that, so those of us who just hit brick walls just trying to download the stupid thing can see if it works?
This discussion has been closed.