Badwords.txt + other patch problems - SOLVED

stripe
stripe Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Support Desk
Fixing badwords.txt and gdata errors

Many of us have been having problems with badwords.txt, elements.data and other files stalling. It seems this was down to the Chinese characters, or some language related issue with code. If this thread helps you fix your problem, please reply, to keep it high enough so everyone sees it.

-6 Confirmations of this working.

If you have fixed other patch issues, please post them here also, with explanations. I will add them to this initial post, so all problems can be gathered here and get people playing and in game faster :)

After MUCH searching through the forums, and trying many different things, I finally came across a golden thread.

Let me paste a section of the thread for you
For problems with buff_str.txt, try downloading Codepage.exe:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/winceplatformbuilder/patch/1.0/wce/en-us/codepage.exe

Run that and extract the files, inside there's a file called "CHINAS.ZIP", extract that one and run the .BAT file inside it (thanks Zorin!)

Download the files and extract them, and run the 2 bat files. From there, try updating/patching PWI and rejoice in excitement when it works :) ( at least I hope it does for you :) )

This is the batch files code for further explanation
REM Run this batch file to be able to compile Chinese (Simplified) resources
copy c_936.nls %SystemRoot%\system32
copy c_10008.nls %SystemRoot%\system32
regini ChinaS.ini

Thanks everso much to zorin and drk for the link.

Patch stalling on a file, after doing the above fix?

Try this ( Thanks to memoomoo )
When you get stuck and client asks to try again or stop update. Click stop update and exit game. Run game again and hit update game -> CONTINUE UPDATE.

So basically everytime you get stuck. Just stop updating ->exit game->run game->update game->continue update

-Stripe ( Elestra ingame)
Post edited by stripe on

Comments

• Angelle - Heavens Tear
    Angelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    We'll try this out and pray it works. When it does, I'll be sure to edit this post and confirm that it works. : D
    Former Leader of 卓越的 {Transcendent}
    -- DoIl - Venomancer - 6X

;D You can call me Minny.
  • strikezero
    strikezero Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    this worked for me thx alot :D
  • p0rt1r
    p0rt1r Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    did absolutely nothing for me...
  • Phaliah - Heavens Tear
    Phaliah - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It worked for me thx :D:D
  • Rosa - Heavens Tear
    Rosa - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Am going to try this now will post results. =P
  • Rosa - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    well it got me past elements.data but now it's stuck on tasks >.<
  • memoomoo
    memoomoo Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I'm not sure if this going to work for everyone but it did for me.

When you get stuck and client asks to try again or stop update. Click stop update and exit game. Run game again and hit update game -> CONTINUE UPDATE.

So basically everytime you get stuck. Just stop updating ->exit game->run game->update game->continue update.

Hope this works for you! ^^
  • Lady_alexis - Heavens Tear
    Lady_alexis - Heavens Tear Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Still bombs on a a file with 2 squares as the filename .bon and .ecm
    :mad:
    How to change your portrait from ? to you.
    1.) logout, login
    2.) on your login picture click "change" (sample)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    or use the manual link (must be logged in)
    ttp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/avatar.php
    (copy and paste and add the 'h' , Your not allowed links in sigs)
  • Rosa - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Still getting the Try Again pop up. Thanks for trying to help ^^
  • memoomoo
    memoomoo Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I have another problem now lol.....

game closes by itself when I click Enter at character screen................ :/
  • fade2black002
    fade2black002 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It worked for me no prblems so far. I updated to version 7 with the manual upadater file because it would hang on other files and this worked the best way. If the updater has problems with some files not going through completely, meaning that if you see files that get the pop up box to try again or stop upadte. Just stop it completely and start it up again either by pushing the button on the box or closing it out and loading up the launcher again. You just have to make sure that the box is checked taht says resume unfinished updates. I hope this is clear enough and I don't have to edit this post for a 3rd time lol :). This way worked for me all the time that this has happened. I now have the latest version and can start the game now. I thank stripe for this and all the looking he did to find this out. So if any of this is still unclear or you have any questions at all i'll try to answer them to the best that I can. I hope all of can get it working i havent done much with the game yet except for creating a character. So i wish you all good luck and i will be check this post often.
  • kraze
    kraze Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    This worked perfectly for me. I was stuck on a file with Chinese characters, and after I used your method the patch went smoothly. Thank you!!!
  • fade2black002
    fade2black002 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    memoomoo wrote: »
    I have another problem now lol.....

game closes by itself when I click Enter at character screen................ :/

My suggestion to you is to uninstall the game, reinstall it and then update it again. If the problem persisits then i dont know what else to tell you. It works fine for me, just spent an hour creating a character and all went fine. So hopefully that will work.
  • d4rkcha0s
    d4rkcha0s Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2008

w00t that fixed my problem, maybe its a combo of stripes fix and ur fix for badwords.txt
  • aylinsekai
    aylinsekai Posts: 3
    edited September 2008
    Up until now(still patching) it worked big time!!
    Thnx a million!!

Kind regards

Aylin Sekai
  • stripe
    stripe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Your welcome everyone, glad it solved your problems! see you in game. name : Elestra

fade2black002 : We did it!, Glad it's all working fine now. Have fun :)

Ladyalexis : Make sure you extract and run both .bat files CHINAT and CHINAS.bat
    After that follow the other advice of just rerunning the client. Hope it works!
  • clash
    clash Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Made it past the problems, still patching, but looks good so far
  • Samiup - Heavens Tear
    Samiup - Heavens Tear Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    great, now i have to do the developers Job?

here is a piece of advice, tel your superiors to pay a QA team. or they just wanna get the money?:p

also tel them this is no china, ppl over here don't appreciate ****. you wana get my mony? you better work you A$$ off:mad:
    contact info :
    GS: samiup /\ IGN: samiup /\ PWI : samiup
  • constantin
    constantin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Thx a lot. That solved problem ;)
This discussion has been closed.