Are Wiz expected to heal?

Options
jdz8
jdz8 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Wizard
Just recently reached lv28 and I have morning dew so I can train without using hp pots when kiting fails.

It doesn't seem like clerics are really popular so I end up being asked to stick to healing in parties without one.
This gets really annoying when blademasters and barbarians are slow killers and I'm told to focus mostly on healing although I can kill the monsters in 3-4 hits.

Should I just never use Morning Dew so I can pretend I don't have it or is this just a temporary phase that ends at 30+?
Post edited by jdz8 on

Comments

• prosper
    prosper Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Hardly ever. If you're in a party that needs a mage to heal and not DPS, you're with the wrong people and should probably quit it. Sometimes Morning Dew is needed as a backup/emergency heal, but really isn't meant to replace clerics.
  • heaven123
    heaven123 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Yes, you are officially now a healing class! Forget all those DPS spells.

You're heals will hardly do anything. Let the healing be done by the professionals. If you really want to, you can throw them a bone now and then.
  • Legend - Lost City
    Legend - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Morning dew does come in handy, as at times when you're on the verge of dying, or when you see that someone else almost is.
    Healing others when they don't even ask for it gets you more allies, a lower PK'd rate, and sometimes a reward. All three of those things come in handy. When you actually level morning dew, healing a barb or BM will only take one cast, then you can help them attack.
  • Ty - Heavens Tear
    Ty - Heavens Tear Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Like everyone else has said it's very useful as a backup heal when in boss fights/FBs. The only thing about it is the slow channeling time so you need to anticipate a little if you're required to jump in and help. I can remember a couple of times when its saved my party from a wipe when someones drawn a boss early, makes boss fights more exciting when something out of the ordinary happens.

Usually I just use it on myself, it doesnt need to be levelled that high unless you have quite high HP as its heal is partly based on your base magic attack which should increase at the same rate as your HP.
    This gets really annoying when blademasters and barbarians are slow killers and I'm told to focus mostly on healing although I can kill the monsters in 3-4 hits.

I used to feel the same way about pairing up with a Barb/Blade often I could kill the mob before they'd even reached it, but think of having them around as mana saver. Let them choose the target and get a few hits in to hold the aggro, then attack using your cheapest/quickest spells. This way you may only need 2 hits to kill, and they'll only lose a small amount of HP which you can heal every 3rd or 4th mob. Check if their HP by mousing over their HP bar so you know when to heal them most effectively, and if they have a charm then be nice and heal before they go below 50%.

Of course if you are wearing charms yourself you might level quickest by yourself, or maybe not quickest but at least you won't have to get frustrated at seeing all the drops go to another player. Personnally i've taken a break from using MP charms, I find the system they have just a way of extracting money out of you, 75% mana then the charm kicks in, please. I cant remember the amount of times I've been resource gathering and had to clear a mine of surrounding mobs, 4-5 spells cast and my charm ticks >.<.
    I like pie
  • JaneMcFierce - Heavens Tear
    JaneMcFierce - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    It can be handy to have morning dew to use in a tight spot. I was in fb51 and half way through the first boss, both clerics got wiped by a patrol, so it was down to me and my morning dew and the tank's charm to pull us through! was pretty damn close.
  • Mrbungle - Lost City
    Mrbungle - Lost City Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    morning dew can be very useful in combination with sutra if its really an emergency.
  • average
    average Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    I've also found Morning Dew useful in solo situations. Perhaps Gush never properly slowed the enemy down and you took a few melee hits. You don't want to wait for meditate/a healing pot, drop morning dew and continue on.

As for group situations, it's a *kind of* fat heal, but it's a slow cast time. Not reliable for extended healing, only emergencies. Leave the main healing to the Clerics.
    Not responsible for missing drops/loot because YOU didn't pick YOURS up.
  • Seifa - Lost City
    Seifa - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Recently I decided mage heals aren't half bad. They take SO MUCH MANA at high lvls, but then demon heal at lv90 starts to work like a cleric heal. With enough -channeling it doesn't take much time at all to cast.

Longer spells are effected more by -channeling

It is very helpful is tough situations, but mages are NOT full time healers, we are counted as DD's, unless you're light armor, then you're counted as useless HAHAHA im kidding <:]
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Well i leveled mine a little earlier in the game for one reason. FB's. People in whatever guild you are in or on world chat always ask for a cleric, and i always say, beh, i can't res you but don't worry, no one will die and i can heal everyone. I must of got in on over 20 fb's saying that. Sure people died but once you are there they can't kick you.

Maybe i shouldnt of leveled it, i only have it at 5, but in my 30's 40s i didnt really know. Long run doesn't matter cause i got plenty of SP and it didnt cost much

I do use it a lot though in between mobs as a pot saver, or in a tight spot with a few mobs on me, sutra and heal. Also when people are in town i heal them and they buff me back, so comes in handy
    b:bye
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Oh, and that heal thing for fb's, thats a wizzie secret when you're low level, don't let those evil clerics get wind of it or you will miss out on the invites

Tank dies, distance shrink the heck out of there, someone else will take agrro, you keep running, they die too and you escape
    b:bye
  • Dauthus - Sanctuary
    Dauthus - Sanctuary Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    For FBs 29 and up, I've been asked "Can't you heal? We shouldn't need a cleric..." It's then I remind them Morning Dew is incredibly slow and NOT effective enough to make the wizard the sole healer. I have seen it done before, but there is much pain and gnashing of teeth. lol I have yet to not get to go on an FB due to this, and I generally get the opportunity to go on at least 2~3 during any given day I play. Not as much as some, but not too bad.

Like some others have said, I tend to watch the tank and cleric's bars to see if either is going down so I know if I need to try and buffer their health so they don't die, acting as a backup of sorts, but I tend to avoid being the sole healer like the plague. lol
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Options
    Healing at 60 gets a bit better if you're doing some lower level FBs, the hh60 weapon gives a nice boost for healing too. Along with Sutra, it can be nice, but I generally don't even bother pointing out I can heal.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • XxArchmagexX - Dreamweaver
    XxArchmagexX - Dreamweaver Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    b:laugh please wake up you are not a cleric morning dew is a spell that may be used for 2 reasons.

1-When you are grinding this saves you a lot of money because u dont need mana pots.

2-It can be used to heal ON EMEGENCIES....mabye to save your squad cleric or a DD that is being unhealed and its about to die.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    usually i use the heal on cleric or some fos archer that think he's a better tank than a barb. Or on low lvl FBs (19-39) to keep alive the ppl I'm running with since I solo easily those. For some reason lowbies feel an urge to grab aggro from mobs when they shouldn't so yeah, comes handy to restore the HP of a 30-50 char to full from 10% :)

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ClassySassy - Sanctuary
    ClassySassy - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Since everyone is discussing this healing skill anyway, let me ask....does the channeling time of this spell decrease as it levels up?
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    nope, it's the same, but when u get about 20-30% channel with PvE ornaments/rings channel time goes down a lot.
    if u use it with sutra, in those 6 seconds you can heal better than a cleric.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    *cough* necro
  • Ikurei - Dreamweaver
    Ikurei - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    To be more precise, it's a double necro.
    Meh, saw a couple other people doing this so...
    "Time to kill a famous thread then." andracil
    "Banning a troll is the ultimate troll my good sirs" eatwithspoons
    "Be careful about all of the GIRLs (Guy in RL) that you meet." eatwithspoons
    "We are all trolls or else we wouldn't have so many posts under our names. Deal with it." Sevas - Heavens Tear
    "Necro hunting >:3
    Also, I'm in someone's sig!" andracil (Sorry, I had to.b:surrender)
    "Welcome to the forums. You will die here." Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
  • Disappear - Lost City
    Disappear - Lost City Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I generally don't heal unless I'm alone and solo grinding, or if my ep is getting wailed on i seal the mob, and heal her/him.

then the mobs hopefully is being killed or I'm in a rough spot spamming blink and force of will :D
  • Ussichu - Sanctuary
    Ussichu - Sanctuary Posts: 429 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    If it matters, I replaced a 2nd cleric with a lvl 92 wizzie to heal in a TT2-3 for wurlord and Ape. Worked well.
    Navarre was your everyday veno, until she learned her true form. Now she's fox walloping and purging over and over again.. all for a deep stinging, head hunting, wind pushing Assassin. Will there be inner harmony and myriad rainbows? But of course! Yuri&Lemon Find it on Fanfiction XD "Discovering Sanctuary" Chapter 2 is up ^_^
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    My guild has a serious lack of clerics, so I often end up healing our tanks (the BMs, lol) now. I've also saved HH parties from wiping because of me healing whoever was left alive. Things like keeping the archer alive against 3-2 emperor etc was kind of fun.
  • Disappear - Lost City
    Disappear - Lost City Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    My guild has a serious lack of clerics, so I often end up healing our tanks (the BMs, lol) now. I've also saved HH parties from wiping because of me healing whoever was left alive. Things like keeping the archer alive against 3-2 emperor etc was kind of fun.

I know. My heal is only level 4 though, do you reckon I level it?
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I know. My heal is only level 4 though, do you reckon I level it?
    I kept it at 1 till about lv80, where I started doing cube, so I got it to 5 for certain rooms, like 100 sec stand. Was enough, honestly. Then I maxed it in one go at like 9x, forgot exactly when, after I got Dragon/BT/DB/Hail max.
  • Xegeth - Dreamweaver
    Xegeth - Dreamweaver Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Just wondering.. If a Demon Wizard with lvl 11 Morning Dew, constant use of Wellspring Quaff and some decent -channeling EQ heals, will it be any good? Maybe you can get down to 2 sec channeling if geared really good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I use channeling gear for it, rank top, channeling belt, etc. Cuts the channeling down from like 4.5 to 3 seconds, and yeah it helps quite a bit. Wellspring quaff would help if you needed faster heals.
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    For sure. I saved couple guys from death. Especially with sutra I can give in 6s more than 4000 hp. That is something. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Piliener - Lost City
    Piliener - Lost City Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I healed a fb39 once. I did fine, but also was with people my level so it wasn't to much of a challenge to begin with. Overall though, other than the occasional ep's in trouble es heal the tank real quick, I don't heal to often.

I need to keep editing because really why is my avatar different now?
    Spoons you will forever be missed in this community
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I healed a fb39 once. I did fine, but also was with people my level so it wasn't to much of a challenge to begin with. Overall though, other than the occasional ep's in trouble es heal the tank real quick, I don't heal to often.

I need to keep editing because really why is my avatar different now?

Your avatar changed, because you reached lv.80. I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    b:shocked
    This thread still not closed????

Spoons you missed one.
    (>.<)'

someone else close thread please.
    b:thanks
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magical_Orgy - Lost City
    Magical_Orgy - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I used to solo heal bh 59 at 6x and 7x but any higher bhs a cleric is needed lol. We aren't a powerful healing class at all lol. Basically just for personal use