Please consider a useful UI

alexisstarfire
alexisstarfire Posts: 10 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Suggestion Box
I will prolly get flamed for some of this.

I know for a fact there are 1000's of MMO players looking for a World of Warcraft (WoW) alternate. (I'm one of them)

I could really get into this game (and spend some money) but the movement is total krap, sorry to say.

Most people that play MMO's are used to a "Follow" type camera. 'Over the sholder' or above and back of the head. Being able to move with the 'arrow' keys (forward and backward) and look left and right with the left/right arrow keys (without moving). And constantly,now matter how moving see whats in front of them. Run/Walk toggled by NumLock

Every person I have shown this game to says the same thing. "Na, can't handle WASD and the way you move".

(On of the best things about LOTRO (that Wow dosent have) was being able to tilt the camera with the 2 and 8 on the number pad)

I'm sorry but WoW set the standard for movement (Wow, LOTRO, AOC etc. they all use the same)

I think there should be an option to remap keys and use movement as above.
You do this and you will have a slew of Blizzard converts.

Cheers
Why am I a '?", don't I exist? :p
Post edited by alexisstarfire on

Comments

• Ren - Lost City
    Ren - Lost City Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    **** WOW, L2 did it right.
    Perfect skillsbars, no lame wasd required, and no double casting bug.
    In l2 you could queue your next spell but you could overwrite the queued skill by hitting another button while casting, or cancel the queue altogether by moving.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zoe is so full of it, that he must be Karmelia.
  • velea
    velea Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I've got to agree with this post.

It's not quite believable to me that a game that's being developed now days doesn't come standard with a few things.

1) Customizable keyboard and mouse mapping. I'm left handed, so play with a different set up than probably the majority of players, but that's got to be something very basic that should be catered to.

2) Resizable windows. Thus far I can't figure out a way to resize the mini-map to make it bigger, so the bloody thing is all but useless to me. I'm old, I've got a big computer screen for a reason. ;)

3) Along those lines, and this might be in but I can't find it anywhere, the ability to resize chat font to something like 12 or even 14 font size.

The main reason right now that I simply can't play this game, though, is because I can't use the arrows to move. I know to some that might seem petty as a reason to not play, but to me it's huge.

Oh, and please allow me to turn OFF the "Click here and my character moves" while you're at it. That drives me nuts. ;)
  • alexisstarfire
    alexisstarfire Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    velea wrote: »
    I've got to agree with this post.

3) Along those lines, and this might be in but I can't find it anywhere, the ability to resize chat font to something like 12 or even 14 font size.

You can go into the 'system' menu in game, and in the 'Game' section there is a font sider down the bottom.

I'm old to :)
    Why am I a '?", don't I exist? :p
  • instinct
    instinct Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I think people need to realize that different games require different types of movement. Certain games are "stand there and cast" types and therefore don't require on-the-spot movement mechanics.

In WoW's case, the game's mechanics, with having instant-cast spells, and spells that hinder/enhance movement... the game relies quite heavily on reflex-based movement.

I think Perfect World is much the same. This is evidenced by the fact that there are "rooting" skills in PWI. The fact that the Archer does less damage when the enemy is up close is just screaming at the Archer to employ a hit & run tactic... which currently isn't flying too well due to the lack of abilities that can be cast-on-the-run (i.e. abilities with no channel time). Personally, I think having abilities with no channel time, but longer cooldowns would suit the Archer quite well... but I digress.

To sum it up, I do agree with this post. For me, because I do see the game as one that relies on movement, I want to be able to run, and see what's going on behind me WHILE I'm running.

I think being able to move the camera around while holding down the LEFT mouse button would work. So that holding the LEFT mouse button pans the camera without changing directions, while the RIGHT mouse button actually steers the character.

My 2 cents... thanks.
  • smirk
    smirk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Not sure WOW set the standard for movement.

I know for my husband, he prefers the arrow keys.

I personally adjust to what is implemented in game.
  • Lady_alexis - Heavens Tear
    Lady_alexis - Heavens Tear Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Its really that , a matter of what your prefer.

Me? I would like a choice and the freedom to chose. If PWI are expecting me to put some money into this, it will not be until I feel comfortable with the UI and not have someones opinion caved in stone as to the way I'm going to move in a game. I fully support all the changes the OP suggested.

It can only improve the game and bring in more players that stay just because the dont have to learn totally new key combinations compared to other games they may play.
    How to change your portrait from ? to you.
    1.) logout, login
    2.) on your login picture click "change" (sample)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    or use the manual link (must be logged in)
    ttp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/avatar.php
    (copy and paste and add the 'h' , Your not allowed links in sigs)
  • thameng
    thameng Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    bah...

Simply click far off and spin the camera to whatever degree you would like. u can go cook popcorn while running looking backwards... this is nothing new.
  • Drah - Heavens Tear
    Drah - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Not being able to customize the keyboard is a real killer for me, I play but not hardcore like I did with WoW. After about 30 minutes my hands feel like rubber from constantly holding down the "W" key because of the lack of an auto run.

Game has hugh potential, I also understand that the game is a new kid on the block and needs work. Until the keyboard issue is fixed my play time will be very limited.
  • Mrtiger - Heavens Tear
    Mrtiger - Heavens Tear Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    every mmo ive played(which is ALOT!) u either use the point and click or the WASD buttons and the mouse to turn ur view... personally i can stand to use the arrow keys...
    Into the Mouth of the ruin that feeds upon the Damned and the Deceived
    And they will cry; there is no life here only death
    Deceived
  • Whizzy - Heavens Tear
    Whizzy - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    every mmo ive played(which is ALOT!) u either use the point and click or the WASD buttons and the mouse to turn ur view... personally i can stand to use the arrow keys...
    i can't stand the arrowkeys either, but then....i am right handed

see what i mean?
    edited September 2008

see what i mean?

Err...WHO'S ASKING YOU TO CHOOSE!!!

I'm suggestig AN OPTION, if you like the WASD, USE THEM! by all means
    I'm asking for the choice for others to use what they want!
    I AM NOT saying change the interface for everyone....just give us a choice..

Cheers
    1.) logout, login
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Whizzy - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Err...WHO'S ASKING YOU TO CHOOSE!!!

I'm suggestig AN OPTION, if you like the WASD, USE THEM! by all means
    I'm asking for the choice for others to use what they want!
    I AM NOT saying change the interface for everyone....just give us a choice..

Cheers
    uh.....we are helping you with your request here hun, no need to shout to us.
    edited September 2008
    Don't mean to shout, just seems a lot are not hearing me and seem to think I want PWI to change the keys for everyone.

Cheers
    1.) logout, login
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Whizzy - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Thats ok , i noticed thats a common problem in this kind of games.
    Lack of response from those who need to response (developers and such) and lot's of response from ppl that don't need to or have absolutely NOTHING to ad.
    I have noted several severe bugs in this game and have send in sveral support tickets for them but until now no response. I really hope they will look at your problem and adres it since not only lefties want to adjust there controls but only lefties really really need it

good luck hun
  • xkelsox
    xkelsox Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    i hated WoW. if i was to give it a mark out of ten it wouldn't get a 1.:cool:
    edited September 2008
    xkelsox wrote: »
    i hated WoW. if i was to give it a mark out of ten it wouldn't get a 1.:cool:

Excuse me? Who is talking about WoW?, please take you attempt to derail this thread down the road. And figure out how to get the proper portrait....then someone might take you seriously..You look like a noob idiot with the '?'..see below
    1.) logout, login
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2008
    How to change portrait
    1.) logout, login
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mauruk
    mauruk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    City of Heroes, before WoW, set the standard with totally customizable keyboard entries. Mapping movement to arrow keys if you prefer. Unique keybinds . Enabling so you could use the f key to toggle fly on/off. J for jump, other common sense things. Or the one thing clerics woudl really love /bind numpad1~Select partymember1$$powexec_heal$$. This would enable you to hit 1(!!!!!!!!!!!!!) one key to select a party member and heal them at the same time. no pointing and clicking and then hitting a function key or using the mouse to also enable to heal spell. Tell me one cleric who wouldnt like that kind of fucntionality :)

Mau
  • geegeetee
    geegeetee Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Totally agree, customizable Keyboard quick keys/macros or what ever your use to calling them.

And since we are all so old... LOL

Thank you for telling me where to change font..

and my husband played my character for a bit (I left her sit and went off to the store.. knew it would be way to temping not to check it out when she isn't looking thing, how i got him to play UO 8 years ago with me)

The movement with mouse I LOVE, takes a LOT of getting use to, but as I told myhusband, after spending a few hours in everblade, trying to "jump" yoruway to the gate roof, You get that spin angle and movement down quick. I had alreadydoen the quest, but it was the "point" of the matter of doing it my darn self!

Poor hubby, he was having a problem, with clicking and moving the camera around where he would hit the scroll wheel, and would end up ZOOOMING way in or out.. and my char would die... again another option that would be nice to turn on or off, customize

Oh and for the record Ultima Online *keep your opinions to yourself about the dinosaur game* has been around for over 10 years, For those who never played it, it is completely customizable, your keys for doing everything, *wink* figured I would toss that in for the "who was the first" battle LOL
    edited September 2008
    Well, it doesn't look like we will see key remaping or any useful UI changes in the near future (auto-run, option for movement with mouse..etc)

I hope they don't mind us annoying them until they do...

(Can they really see and read dark purple messages on a black background?)
    1.) logout, login
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Carcia - Heavens Tear
    Carcia - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    just wish they would implement the option to invert the mouse

but I guess that wont happen either, am larning slowly how to cope with the non-inverted way of controlling the camera, but sitting working all day long in 3D programs where it is inverted stearing of objects it kinda makes it a bit hard re adjust all the time
  • shadow685
    shadow685 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    for german ppl i can recommend this site:

http://www.dirk-schwarzmann.de/software/keydefiner.php

this site helps u to create a " .reg " file which automatically changes the settings in ur registry and gives u the possibility to rebind every key on ur keyboard.....

u can even rebind the NUMPAD keys what no many keybinding programs can do....

just visit the site and click " Starte Konfigurator "
    now a virtual keyboard will pop up....
    at first u should directly click "Fertig" there and follow the given instructions...
    name ur file something like "originalKeyboard.reg"

start the konfigurator again:

now bind every key like u want to:

up arrow = w
    down arrow = s
    left arrow =a
    right arrow =d

maybe the 1-6 keys to the keys above the arrows (ins,del,home,end,pg up/down)
    and the F1-F8 keys where ever it suit u

now click finish again and follow the instructions
    name the file something like "MyPWIkeyboard.reg"

ok so now if u wanna play PWI and need a other key binding so bad just double click
    ur "MyPWIkeyboard.reg" it changes ur registry settings....
    now have to reboot ur pc to let the changes take effect.... now start the game and play with ur keysettings.....

after u played just double click "originalKeyboard.reg" to revert the registry settigs back to standard ( i guess u dont want ur cursor keys behave like WSAD in all ur applications)
    and reboot again.....

sure it is just a workaround and u have to reboot to let the changes take effect
    but i think it anyways might come handy for ppl which need their cursor keys so bad :P

i used it to play dekaron eu cos i really hated it to use the 1-9 keys to use my skills...
    so i bound them to the NUMPAD and it was nice to be able to use my skills without breaking my fingers to reach the 7-9 keys.. i have small hands u have to know ;)
    edited October 2008
    Translated English Version

http://translate.google.co.nz/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.dirk-schwarzmann.de/software/keydefiner.php&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.dirk-schwarzmann.de/software/keydefiner.php%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DD6D

This still doesn't alter the fact that if PWI wants more players they are going to have to do something about 'written in stone' operations in the game.
    (ie: remapping, option for 'click ground go here' , text colors etc.)
    1.) logout, login
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jin_nique - Heavens Tear
    Jin_nique - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Eh.. Does anyone happen to find the coordinate manager a lil cumbersome to use also? =x I mean, it'll be a lot more helpful if they allow you to SAVE your trackpoints and activate them individually instead of all tgt. To be fair, though, it has to be noted that this game is still in open beta. This game definitely has potential, if only the devs would listen to us more. :(
    You can take the soldier out of the fight,
    but you can't take the fight outta the soldier!

-Jin_Nique