Levels in game.

instinct
instinct Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Suggestion Box
Currently I see people wearing low level items to pretend they are low levels, and challenging low level people to duels.

Also, when you do accept a duel, you can't really tell if you out-skilled your opponent, or simply overpowered them... or vice versa if you should happen to lose.

I think players should be able to see other people's levels along with their name-tags in the game. Or at the very least... allow the combatants to see each other's levels once combat initiates.

Thanks for your time.
Post edited by instinct on

Comments

• Orora - Heavens Tear
    Orora - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    instinct wrote: »
    Currently I see people wearing low level items to pretend they are low levels, and challenging low level people to duels.

Also, when you do accept a duel, you can't really tell if you out-skilled your opponent, or simply overpowered them... or vice versa if you should happen to lose.

I think players should be able to see other people's levels along with their name-tags in the game. Or at the very least... allow the combatants to see each other's levels once combat initiates.

Thanks for your time.

Actually - this I do agree with. I think being able to see someones level above their name would be an excellent addition to the game. Or at the very least, be able to see it when you click on them, if even just out of curiosity.
  • smirk
    smirk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I to agree 100% that we should be able to see what lvl they are.

Why has this never been implemented? to me does not make sense.
  • Deafjesus - Lost City
    Deafjesus - Lost City Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I do agree with this. Everybody been complaining about not to be able to see someone's level. (besides Faction interface, of course)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Which Character are you? --http://www.ff-fan.com/chartest
  • dekoms
    dekoms Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Seems like common sense to me. Have someone who is level 90 parade around as a level 5 just to feel good about himself by beating down level 5's is ridiculous. Lets call that the PWI closet shall we? Adding a simple number to the name tag is easy enough and lets see if we can't get these guys outta there.
  • Funky - Heavens Tear
    Funky - Heavens Tear Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I also agree with this. It's not like it's going to hurt anything if other players know your level. =/
    Won't you take me to Funkytown
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I support this.

Makes people think twice about attacking or dueling somebody when they see their level.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I agree with this as well, but only if levels are still hidden on pvp server. That way you don't know if the person you are trying to kill is a high level in low level gear or not. Makes it more fun.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    No, that is precisely why I support this. If they were to add this to any server at all, it should be the PVP server first, so people know what they're getting into.

A lower l level attacked me once on MY. I could tell she was lower level than me, because it took her a whole 3 minutes. I let her because I wanted to do her a "favor" and make her more red. :D

But really, there's so many idiots around who don't realize that a level 40 could be farming level 35 monsters and wearing level 30 gear. They need a wakeup call.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Knightmaiden - Lost City
    Knightmaiden - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I agree with this as well, but only if levels are still hidden on pvp server. That way you don't know if the person you are trying to kill is a high level in low level gear or not. Makes it more fun.

That is also specifically why I'd like to see the levels. I enjoy pvp, no... I love pvp. I'm one of those people that truly enjoy friendly competition. I don't jump people fighting mobs. I sit there and wait for them to heal up, and then I go for it... on even ground. A real fight.

The reason I want to see levels, is so I can easily find people that are the same level as me to challenge.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Although in my opinion... this option, regardless of how painfully obvious that it will be beneficial to the players... will probably never be implemented. I also noticed that a lot of other FREE MMORPGs that feature pvp do not allow you to see other people's levels.

Food for thought...

Not showing levels for everyone to see grants a certain degree of uncertainty. Whatever the outcome, a multitude of factors are left in the dark and can be attributed to the unkown. Did you overpower him? Did he overpower you? Did he just have more levels that you did and that's why you lost? Or was he really simply better than you? You'll probably never know.

On the other hand, displaying the level will truly bring to light a lot of things, particularly the game's unbalanced mechanics. Knowing you are fighting people of equal level, and constantly winning/losing... will allow all of the balancing problems that were previously hidden to come to the surface. Because there is no more wondering. You KNOW you're equal level. This then allows players to test the game's balance for themselves. There is no better proving ground to test a game's pvp balance than players battling it out on equal terms.

Once these problems start to surface... it creates a real threat to the game in the eyes of the creators. They either MUST fix the problems that were brought forward... or the game dies.

So in the end.. it's better to keep the problems under the rug. Sadly, that's how it goes.

In my opinion, unless it becomes a premium game... you'll never see levels on name tags. I hope I am wrong.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    What I ment was: For all those people like RQ that will just randomly get you at any time, its better if you can't see the levels.

Example:

The pker is level 50 in a level 30 area looking for easy kills (we all know people do that). The pker picks someone to attack since they look to be level 30. Pker dies in seconds. Whoops! Turns out that person they attacked was a level 90 dressed in level 30 armor.

Not being able to see levels makes things like that happen. The pkers have to be careful who they try to pick on.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Knightmaiden - Lost City
    Knightmaiden - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Ya well, RageQuit is a **** guild from what I can tell. Anyone who jumps another player while that player is fighting a mob is a noob.

I'm wiling to bet every single member of RageQuit will get owned in a game where pvp is closely moderated to ensure all fights are on level ground. All they can beat are noob to intermediate players.

Why do I think that? Because anyone worth his merit in PVP would never ever think of joining a **** guild like RageQuit.

Jump people while they're busy with a mob? Are you kidding? I lol'd when I read that.

Looks like PWI needs some real pvpers to form a guild simply to put RageQuit in their place... in the back of the line. They don't belong up front with the skilled people. They call that pvp? Give me a break lol?
  • necroreaver
    necroreaver Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    How bout you let us choose to show our lvl or not. since for one im on lost city a pvp server and rather not have somone 10 lvls higher then me pk me bc they new my level i would like to turn it off. but sometimes i would like ppl to see my lvl so they wont bother trying to attack me so i would turn it on. that way everyone is happy :D
  • slayer1o1
    slayer1o1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    you dont need to see their level in a duel on the non pvp server
    maby just when you click the duel button it will say something like 'caution this player is X levels above you' if they are more then 3 levels above you.
    or their name is different colors like they are in monsters
  • kaylee8
    kaylee8 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Personally, I want to be able to see people's levels. Having accidentally started out on the PVP server and having learned that archers are fabulous at PVP, I decided to turn my archer into an occasional PKer. She's not high enough level yet, but the fact of the matter is that I would like to be able to see a potential target's level so I can confirm that he or she is at most 2 levels lower than me; I don't want to contribute to the image that all PKers pick on the weak and low-level.
  • terone
    terone Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Wouldn't it be enough if you can tell it roughly? Like with the mobs, where you see their names in green or red, depending on their level. That would give you an idea to see if they are about the same level, but in PVP it could happen that you attack someone two or three levels higher, because his name would be white.
    That way, it will be hard to identify balancing problems.

I would like to have an idea of the level of the player when i want to sell items to them or give them away for free. I just picked up a good item that i dont want to use, so I want to give it to some other player for free. That would be easier if I could tell who is about the same level...
  • acolyte
    acolyte Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    dekoms wrote: »
    Seems like common sense to me. Have someone who is level 90 parade around as a level 5 just to feel good about himself by beating down level 5's is ridiculous. Lets call that the PWI closet shall we? Adding a simple number to the name tag is easy enough and lets see if we can't get these guys outta there.

I agree 100% on this and we could "kill" it now and easy, make a thread with a list on the server section b:shocked who is doing this on the server. That way you can be 100% sure that it will end.
    Cause then everyone knows the person doing it.
    This game is getting more & more Hostility each day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myish - Sanctuary
    Myish - Sanctuary Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    My question is: why didn't they do this in the first place (show target's level)? Is there even a reason or did they just omit it for convenience?
    b:cold*
    b:faint (Sub Zero!)