Patch Error? (badwords.txt)

Options
jaeseu
jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Support Desk
My fiancee is having problems patching PWI. The cause? Badwords.txt.

Everywhere we both searched to find fixes and he tried everything he could -- from manual patches to trying to install the language packs. I don't think he bothered to attempt the disabling the firewall things because judging by what other people did, it didn't work.

So really, is there an actual fix for this? It's frustrating because I really want him to play.

"(Name Anonymous) says (1:02 AM):
It says I have the latest client version
Then when I tell it to begin patching, the first thing is badwords.txt, and it freezes there"

): Thanks ahead of time.

(He runs Windows XP Home edition, if that helps any.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    .-. Bumping back up.
  • d4rkcha0s
    d4rkcha0s Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    yeah this is the problem im having, lol
  • strikezero
    strikezero Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    im having the same problem cant patch cuz of that badwords.txt
  • Angelle - Heavens Tear
    Angelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    >: Okay, so he tried the disabling firewall, etc, and it did nothing.

He tried it again today and badwords.txt STILL won't budge.

As a last resort, we're going to attempt copying my files to his PC...

But I really don't want to copy 2.4+ GB worth of game stuff. =/

So again, bumping this up and hope there really is a fix. ~_~;;;
    Former Leader of 卓越的 {Transcendent}
    -- DoIl - Venomancer - 6X

;D You can call me Minny.
  • stripe
    stripe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I also seem to be having this problem, and like you Badwords.txt just wont budge

I'm running vista ultimate 64 bit edition

I have set UAC off
    Firewall allowing patcher,elementclient and launcher
    I can't find badwords.txt to delete, so I presume it's new?

Any help from the admins or users who fixed this problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks
  • Angelle - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Okay, so the attempt at transferring the files from his laptop by external harddrive (which worked) onto his other PC didn't work. =/

I'm going to assume that it really is the language thing...
    So anyone with this problem could possibly try this thing. The Windows installation disc is not at hand so we're not able to test this out ourselves but...(typing this from memory from what I'm assuming is going to work):
    Go to control panel -> Go to the option with Languages -> in one of the tabs (I forgot which) there are two checkboxes at the bottom. I think the second checkbox relates to Asian languages so definitely check that and press OK. I'm guessing this installs the languages if you weren't able to online (we weren't able to DL online from Microsoft nor do we have the disc to confirm if this method works).

s: So yeah...anyone who understands my gibberish that is willing to attempt this...please tell me your results if this works. Thanks.

• stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Hi Angelle,
    I'm trying this now, - I'm on vista. - So i'm downloaded the asian language packs and installing them.
  • d4rkcha0s
    edited September 2008
    Options
    i tried installing the language packs, it didnt work =/ ima try another method of downloading it from a torrent a dude sent me cause i got windows tiny w/ sp3 and the disk probly doesnt have all the files so ima reinstall them with the torrent a dude sent me
  • Angelle - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I swear it has something to do with languages though because when I checked my fiancee's PC on what kind of languages he had on it and he didn't have any Chinese languages on it and I was assuming that's what it was. x_X; Maybe not...

DD: I'd really love to have a fix for this pleaseeeee. Anyoneeeee! ;o;

I'm about to make him convert to Vista so maybe it'll work that way...xDD

• stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Interesting - windows vista failed on the chinese language installation , so I can't help there :(
    Have you had any luck since?
  • stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    patcher.exe is trying to access http://64.74.217.11/ which panda confirmed was the patch server in the IP listing.

When you go to http://64.74.217.11/ it says 13
  • fade2black002
    fade2black002 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    As you all seem to not know that the file badwords.txt does not exist in the game files or folders anywhere. I dont know if this is the problem or not that it's not even there or not. I am having the same exact problem as everyone else on this post here with this file.
  • stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I do seem to know that it does not exist. That knowledge doesn't help us in the slightest unfortunately. ( It might help the support team - if they are looking into this )

fade2black002 - Open up \Perfect World International\config\launcher\update.txt and check if you also have the errors:

2008/9/21 12:14:41Verify files fails
    2008/9/21 12:14:43Download files=./紧急修复.bat

If these are failing verification, and the same is happening when trying to decrompress or access badwords.txt, then the problem is something else.

For starters, - Why are we downloading a file with asian characters in it, that makes me think the language packs need to be installed for this to work?
  • fade2black002
    edited September 2008
    Options
    hmmm i dont know but i do have my windows disc handy by me i'll try installing the asain lang pack to see if it makes a diff or not.
  • fade2black002
    edited September 2008
    Options
    what language pack? chinese? or korean?
  • stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Try the chinese ones, I'm trying the chinese ones at the moment through windows update but it's not working. :/
  • fade2black002
    edited September 2008
    Options
    i think installed every single asain language pack that i could from the way i did it and it didnt do anything for me. Except for seeing [][][][] boxes like these there were just filled in instead so.....
  • stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    damn!.. well i'm out of ideas then ... I wish someone from support would either post a hint or mail me back :)
    This is like a treasure hunt, only those who figure out the secret to making the game work shall pass through into it's depths :/
  • fade2black002
    edited September 2008
    Options
    yeah well i might look for another MMO to try but dont know...
  • stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I narrowed it down to this one, seems to have all the features I like.
    :/ I installed at work and it worked fine, but that doens't really help :/
  • Angelle - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Now when you're saying it's not installing the language pack...are you saying that it installed and the patch still wouldn't work or you attempted to install the language pack and the pack wouldn't install? Because with the latter, we had the same problem.

In another search, someone said using the language pack -- they downloaded/installed it and it worked fine. When my fiancee came over my house one day to test out my PC for fun 'cause it was new, he noticed that when he went into my PWI folder that the contents had Chinese characters on it -- something he didn't see when he was on his PC (he saw squares).

Another reason why I still believe it's dealing with languages is because when he copied the working PWI from his laptop onto a portable harddrive to move onto his desktop PC, it still didn't patch. And last but not least, when I looked through what languages he had already, Chinese...or rather all Asian languages, weren't there. s:

fade2black002: If badwords.txt was somewhere in someone's game folder, I'm sure they would've uploaded it. x'DD If that would've worked anyway. If your text is still showing up as squares even if you installed every single Asian language packs, try to make them show up as they're suppose to. D: I wouldn't know how to do that from the top of my head so I can't help much more. ):

--And don't give up just yet. D: This game is so pretty and so worth it. People are very nice within game.

• stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I couldn't install the language packs either, - It just constantly failed.
    I'm on vista 64 bit. I found a fix for when this happens : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E2B17E46-FC88-4E77-BA91-74179B748187&displaylang=en

Here it is - , I'm testing it now, and seeing if the two chinese language packs I installed work properly.
    I'll let you know what happens.

I figured trying to add an empty badwords.txt to the right directory might lead to some clues, but it didnt :). The problem is with the verification and server download not the files themself. So it still could be the languages. Let's try.

Did you try the two chinese ones? and the korean one? Or maybe it's just the chinese ones we need.

I really don't want to give up on this game either!, It looks so great. I tried out shaiya, but I really want to get into pwi.
  • stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Angelle and others,
    Please check this thread and follow the instruction and let me know if it works out for you. It worked out fine for me (at half midnight on sunday evening, great timing! :P )

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=647461#post647461
  • keryana
    keryana Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Does'nt work for me.... but worth the try ! Thanx !
  • d4rkcha0s
    edited September 2008
    Options
    maybe its a problem with the font like the faunt cant use that character because its not with that font or something so uh, try changing that im sorry if that doesnt make any sence to anyone exept me or w/e iuno
  • stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Really Keryana? It didn't work, That's a shame. What happens when you try to patch the game? What file does it stop on?

d4rkcha0s - Good thinking. .. I figured it was a language issue, and that codepage.exe should allow your system to compile chinese code, which 'should' solve the problem. I believe this doesn't come with some windows installations.
  • ivanxayaka
    ivanxayaka Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    lol is not language problem im using chinese vista and i cant even update too
  • stripe
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Where are you getting stuck? In the cases above it was a problem with compiling chinese code - not a 'language problem' in that sense.
  • edgecom
    edgecom Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    this worked for me on XP 64-bit SP2 and xp 32-bit sp3

uninstall perfect world ( VIA add/remove programs ) browsed to program folder and delete the " Perfect World Entertainment " folder

redownloaded the 2.4gb client from http://www.perfectworld.com/download/client ( I used the torrent link cause it downloaded faster )

then click start > control panel > Regonial and Language Options ( make sure cpanel is in classic view )

click language tab and make sure " Install file for east asian languages " is checked if its not checked and you install the language packs reboot when its done

install Perfect world it will ask you to verify files before install click yes/verify

when the install finishes start the PW client if its not already started

click on Upd.Sets. make sure the Update server : = patch

update automatically = checked
    Manually select server = checked
    Resume unfinished updated = checked

click confirm

and it should start updating

when its done you should be able to play

I hope this works for others having this badword.txt error thing
  • enak
    enak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It frigging worked, thank you so much!! :)
This discussion has been closed.