Option: Turn off World Chat

Options
Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear Posts: 86 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Suggestion Box
I'm a solo player. Sometimes I join other players in a party for a common goal. But I am not interested in guilds. Most often World Chat is nothing more than "<name of guild> is the best!!11!" Seeing how some people need World Chat, or want it, I would like to suggest that there's an option to turn it off. That was some players who don't like it can turn it off, and those who do like it can keep it on.
"Everything is worth what the purchaser will pay for it." -Publius Syrius

"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Vaelissa - Heavens Tear
    Vaelissa - Heavens Tear Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    This would be great, not being able to disable world chat was a horrible idea. I am hoping that most of the current bunch of people in there are using their free zen from the closed beta contest to talk in world chat and that none of them have access to a bank account.

Considering how much people like to whine about zen prices, this seems likely, I only hope I'm right.

I just ignore the common chat channel and set up custom filters for the rest.
  • Epic - Lost City
    Epic - Lost City Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    You can filter it out of general chat, duh...
  • Vaelissa - Heavens Tear
    Vaelissa - Heavens Tear Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    You can filter it out of general chat, duh...

Actually, you can't, the option is greyed out.
  • Velinda - Heavens Tear
    Velinda - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    What I did was enable everything I wanted other then World chat in the Faction chat and just use that. So I can see everything I want but don't see world chat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    If people are allowed to completely disable seing WC messages, nobody would by the items anymore and the company loses money. It's like people asking to be allowed to disable seeing the Megaphones in Maple. Where's the money to be gained from letting people do that? If nobody sees the messages, then there's no use buying them.

But Velinda had a decent idea, which doesn't completely disable it.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Options
    bron wrote: »
    If people are allowed to completely disable seing WC messages, nobody would by the items anymore and the company loses money. It's like people asking to be allowed to disable seeing the Megaphones in Maple. Where's the money to be gained from letting people do that? If nobody sees the messages, then there's no use buying them.

But Velinda had a decent idea, which doesn't completely disable it.

As I see it, people are paying to spam World Chat, so the money is going into it.

And items can be bought by the PW Botique. Why buy secondhand? If the argument is because well players need to make money too, then said players can set up consignment shops or even go out and kill monsters for money. Or even sell the scrap drops you can find in most mob areas. If you buy from the Botique, you're also not having to pay for the massive markups that seem to happen with all MMORPG player run economies.

PW Makes money though it's Botique, that's for sure. But it;s not making money off players who sell items to someone else for the ingame currency you get from monsters. That's just a transfer. There's no generation of real world monies in that.

That being said, WC doesn't affect the company losing money. There will be plenty of boneheads using it to advertise their guilds.

"The Bible is a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish, no interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -Albert Einstein

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bron
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I lol'd, seriously. You missed my point entirely. I don't even know why you quoted me, cause your reply has nothing to do with what I said.

It's not about ingame economy.

If WC is rendered invisible by people being allowed to disable it being shown, eventually Telos will stop being bought and paid for because nobody sees it. Nobody sees it, hence the messages fall on deaf ears, hence the company loses money if people stop buying them because the messages are not being seen anyway.

If you are allowed to not see the messages, then they might as well not be there and people will decide to not spend money on them. Allowing disabling it means the income from Telos is lost. It's not profitable to allow players to not see WC entirely.

Can't put it into any simpler terms.
  • Wotsmaleus - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Bron, how is PW making money off of me when some may already believe that the WC is nothing but spammery? The thing is, that if people want to buy Telos, they will continue to enable WC. If they could care less, and perhaps use cards you can purchase at retailers, why subject them to a service they aren't using or likely to use?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bron
    edited September 2008
    Options
    (RAWWWWWWWWRRRRR! I had a longer post typed up and my internet ate it. *mad*)

Look, the simple fact is, if you are allowed to disable seeing WC, there's no point in buying Telos.

If a big honking "paid for by ___" billboard is not seen by everybody, there's no point in paying to have it show ads or whatever. If somebody is paying for the WC, it needs to be seen or why pay for it right? The company would not make nearly as much money if WC could be disabled.
  • icebreath
    icebreath Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    This would be great, not being able to disable world chat was a horrible idea. I am hoping that most of the current bunch of people in there are using their free zen from the closed beta contest to talk in world chat and that none of them have access to a bank account.

Considering how much people like to whine about zen prices, this seems likely, I only hope I'm right.

I just ignore the common chat channel and set up custom filters for the rest.

Yes please give us this, cause im getting so sick & tired to see worthless comment's in chat from speaker chat or when some nub got married... cant even disable System mes... :(

oh and btw since when is getting married so damn important that you have to use System to broadcast it in chat?

Plz allow players to turn it off!

Thank you.
  • alexisstarfire
    alexisstarfire Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I would love to turn off the spamming World Chat and Whispers.

Whispers for just friends list for clan would be nice
    Why am I a '?", don't I exist? :p
  • alexisstarfire
    alexisstarfire Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The freedom of an option to see it or not to see it.

I have reservation on any game the shoves a certain feature down peoples throats.

I think you should have the option to take it or leave it.
    Why am I a '?", don't I exist? :p