Shields

Sevendust - Lost City
Sevendust - Lost City Posts: 62 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Suggestion Box
I am confused as to why there were no shields created wit this game? Shields are the ultimate symbol of defender and tanker.

Instead in this game, we have overgrown mutated wild animals who apparently speak common languages and live side by side with humans to symbolize the tanking/defender class.

I personally would rather look at a plus size human character than some extremely unrealistic mythical beast. I know the game is based on fantasy but lets keep some realism here -_-

I already made a post in the general discussion and I got plenty of feedback from there (most negative). So what is everyone's take on this?

Points were brought up about the one handed issue.

I simply think that reconfiguration of the single handed weapon system would not be difficult at all. I see it in the terms of making each weapon singular and not a pair and then simply add a spot for the extra added hand thus inserting a shield or what ever is preferred.

This would make it easier to tweak the damage system that goes along with the one handed weapons. There would still be that balancing between the Blademasters and Untamed. Blademasters would still have their attack advantage over the Untamed.

Out of this theory came the idea of making shields exclusively to the untamed. Just like wings are to the elves. This also means that there could be a exclusive item available to the blademasters. I have no ideas what that could be at the moment but i'm sure someone would think of something.

So everyone..please..let the ideas ROLL!! :)
Post edited by Sevendust - Lost City on

Comments

• recon5
    recon5 Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Since you didn't adress this question, I'll repeat it here (no offense):

If shields are so important, why is it that over 3 OR 4 VERSIONS and 3 YEARS no one has complained enough to make Beijing Perfect World put shields in?

I personally do not care about having or not having shields, and yes, I have played shield users before. However, you seem to be the only one so far who wants shields. How will that help?
  • Sevendust - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    recon5 wrote: »
    Since you didn't adress this question, I'll repeat it here (no offense):

If shields are so important, why is it that over 3 OR 4 VERSIONS and 3 YEARS no one has complained enough to make Beijing Perfect World put shields in?

I personally do not care about having or not having shields, and yes, I have played shield users before. However, you seem to be the only one so far who wants shields. How will that help?

Great, more narrow minded people. Usually people like you who are presented with new games like Perfect World stick to what is given to you. Most people think like you, never wanting to change things just go with the flow and crowd, short attention spans and interest. That's about the best I can come up with atm.

So all these years players like you have just been sheeple. Those who did think outside the box, either got tired of trying to penetrate narrow minds or just found a better game to their liking...IDK there are many reasons, these just seem most likely in my point of view.

Im not gonna stop making suggestions and ideas because some narrow minded person thinks it is not going to work. This is a game. Anything can happen in a game. Simple lines of code programed to follow orders. (Very similar to your narrow minded thinking.)

Now is there anyone else who has some ideas besides these haters?
  • recon5
    recon5 Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Last I checked, indifference and hate weren't the same thing. Why do you insist on equating the two?

Anyway, I'll give some suggestions about how I've always wanted shields to work in the game:
    1. Shields should NOT contribute to the overall physical defense rating. This is an error I have seen in almost every MMO I have played. It is just not realistic.

2. Instead of adding to physical defense, a shield should have it's own HP (or super durability) and the player should have a certain % chance of blocking automatically and transferring ALL or almost all damage from a hit (any kind of hit) into the shield durability. This chance could depend on their agility rating. That is how shields work in real life.

3. A player should also have the ability to raise/lower the shield. When the shield is raised the player would be unable to attack but would also take no damage to his or her HP- the damage ALL goes to the shield. Players should be given the ability to run, jump and dash with the shield raised. This way, low leveled players who get attacked by gankers have a better chance of surviving without the risk of getting a pink name. Naturally, though, players with good gear and attacks can still overwhelm this defense but it will eliminate the hated one-hit PK.

4. Shield users could get a special skill that allows them to ram enemies with their shield when it is raised, with a 100% chance of stunning for one or two seconds.

And one more time: People who say "I don't care" are NOT saying "this sucks". There is a big difference.
  • Velinda - Heavens Tear
    Velinda - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Great, more narrow minded people.

Now is there anyone else who has some ideas besides these haters?

Do you even read what other people say? Do you understand what Hate and "Narrow minded" even means?

Because nothing in the first reply even comes close to either of those things. The person was quite clear, if you bothered to read the post, that they don't really care one way or the other. But that in 4 years no one has made a good enough of a case to get it done on any of the many versions of PW that exist.

There is nothing in that statement that is in any way narrow minded, nor does the poster say anything that can be remotely construed as being hate or hateful.

If they had said "Your idea sucks and I hate it." Then perhaps calling them a hater might make sense, but they didn't.

Myself I'd not mind seeing shields in the game, but don't see them as needed. Half the time Barb's are tanking in Tiger form anyway, so having a shield or not doesn't really mater.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mibukun - Heavens Tear
    Mibukun - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I know the game is based on fantasy but lets keep some realism here -_-

Ummm... Please no. This is my relax and enjoy game. I personally prefer the style of shield less fighting. Even thought the game doesn't show it, I imagine defending more as a sword-on-sword thing. It's block or parry with your weapon followed by the blow.

This game is so completely different than Western-Style Fantasy... I'd consider it an intrusion for the more European stuff to pop up here.
    I understand that the ancient Chinese used shields... but how many heroes in Chinese Fantasy Dynasty movies use them? This is all my opinion, but I just don't think every game to appear on the Western market has to be Westernized.

And Sevendust... can you not just shut your mouth and give your brain a chance? There's a difference between standing for what you believe in and running a perpetual, bragging filibuster. Those who want shields are people who like shields. Those who don't... don't. It doesn't get any more complicated than that. Even if people don't have anything they want to change, that doesn't mean they are sheeple. That means they are happy with what the game making community is coming out with. Game designers do a lot of observing their audience before they come out with a game, and if people all seem to run right along with it, it's because the game designer gave them what they wanted. If people do want things changed, that just means that A. The game wasn't originally made for the market it is currently selling in, or B. They misread the audience they DID intend on selling to. Either way, there's nothing lazy about people being happy with a finished product, and there's nothing noble about being able to spout complaint for every occasion.
  • Sevendust - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    Do you even read what other people say? Do you understand what Hate and "Narrow minded" even means?

Because nothing in the first reply even comes close to either of those things. The person was quite clear, if you bothered to read the post, that they don't really care one way or the other. But that in 4 years no one has made a good enough of a case to get it done on any of the many versions of PW that exist.

There is nothing in that statement that is in any way narrow minded, nor does the poster say anything that can be remotely construed as being hate or hateful.

If they had said "Your idea sucks and I hate it." Then perhaps calling them a hater might make sense, but they didn't.

Myself I'd not mind seeing shields in the game, but don't see them as needed. Half the time Barb's are tanking in Tiger form anyway, so having a shield or not doesn't really mater.

!! I..D..C !! THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GETTING SHIELDS INTO THIS GAME. THERE ARE OTHER POSTERS WHO CLEARLY STATE WHY OR WHY NOT...THIS GUY IS JUST HERE BASHING. Please stay or try to stay on topic I do not feel like aguing off topic.
  • Jearger - Heavens Tear
    Jearger - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Shields are unneeded in the game. Tanks are doing fine without them. If an average tank got ahold of a shield, then the tank just would not die. If the tank is fine without a shield, wouldn't it be too easy to advance as a tank with a shield? If it aint broken, don't fix it in my opinion.

Shields would work moderately well for Clerics. That's the only thing I could see shields working for. Clerics are a support class, a healer, so I would think that if they came under attack, it would be a good idea to have them have a shield. However, it could also be unbalanced, because in most MMOs, people are focused on keeping the healer alive. If a Cleric had a shield, that mechanic would be destroyed.

Giving shields to tanks would be overpowered - they would be walking walls. It would be too hard to take them down, in both PVP and PVE.

Giving shields to all ranged dealers (Venomancer, Mage, archer) would be useless too, as they are keeping range and don't need a shield.

Why would we need one?

Also, Sevendust, why don't you just reply to people on topic then? You're just getting more attention to off-topic posts. Currently, you're the only one here being a narrow-minded hater.
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    If I remember correctly, Chinese heavy armored units didn't have shields. I could be wrong, so nevermind if I am, but I distinctly remember a country where the soliders didn't use shields. Aren't shields a Western invention? Could be wrong on that one. It was either Western or Eastern that didn't use it. One of them didn't. But forget it, the point is It's hard to imagine a Chinese hero using a shield.

But the thing is, there's really only two classes that can tank. Barb is a tiger when tanking and can't equip a shield (Even if he did in the normal form it shouldn't and couldn't allow shield blocking as a tiger without looking abnormally weird), and the only kind of Blade that can realisticaly use one is the kind that uses 1h weapons. If you know anything about other games where shields exist, then you know that you can only use 1h weapons with them. 1h weapon Blades are a bit rare if I remember correctly. Also would need an equip slot for the shield.

I'm not even sure the concept of "Blocked" exists in this game. You can dodge/evade, but not block. If you want to be technical, it's possible to block an attack with a weapon. I'm sure you've seen it in movies and what not.

Non taking classes don't even use them, since they're squishy anyway and a little defense and block really wouldn't save their lives as much even if they had one. Besides, you need both hands to shoot a Bow/xBow/Slingshot, so Archers are automatically ineligible.

The game does ok without these, really.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Jearger - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    bron wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, Chinese heavy armored units didn't have shields.
    Very smart. I forgot all about this. You are right, Chinese heavy armored units did not have shields, but usually heavy swords.
  • Sevendust - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    THERE IS A FLUCKING UNTAMMED WITH A SHIELD "FRONT PAGE" ON THE MAIN SITE!

yet there are no shields in the game...weird.
  • Jearger - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    THERE IS A FLUCKING UNTAMMED WITH A SHIELD "FRONT PAGE" ON THE MAIN SITE!

yet there are no shields in the game...weird.
    The front page of this site does not have an untamed with a shield. Please, if you're going to lie, at least make it harder to find. Because honestly, writing in all-caps and getting all ruffled up over the fact that we don't support your idea isn't a good way to carry your message.

In short: Chill and don't lie.
  • Sevendust - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    The front page of this site does not have an untamed with a shield. Please, if you're going to lie, at least make it harder to find. Because honestly, writing in all-caps and getting all ruffled up over the fact that we don't support your idea isn't a good way to carry your message.

In short: Chill and don't lie.

lol lvl3 talkin shizz to me...go look on tha MAIN page. trust me its there... The Original Perferc World Site there is. I believe it is the Chinse one. Have no reason to lie about something like that.

Your not looking hard enough.
  • kookie420
    kookie420 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    actually, Shields could be implimented into the game. since there are 1hd weapons. and this is Fantasy Asian Lore not actual Asian Lore (the Elf, (Norse Mythology, :confused:), gives it away not the Were Beast, Orang Bunian from Sumatra would have been a better name for the Elf race even Sylph). anyway, with a shield, in the off hand, Movement Speed could be lowered to half when equipped and also, Evasion could be cut down. anyone actally pick up a large heavy shield, metal or wood before. can't move very fast with it nor can you evade an attack very well either. but you could stand there for quite some time with its Defense. so yes, Shields could be implimented into the game. and you wouldn't have to put in another slot, "Code" the Ammo Slot to accept a shield and poof a new Patch. this is the 'Suggestion Box". players are suppose to suggest stuff to make the game more. i do understand that games are suppose to be different from one another, but until you get rid of the SSDD 'Grind' they all are going to be the same, it doesn't matter what race you use, shields or no shields. and just think, the DEVs could put in another item in the mall and also at the blacksmith or tailor
  • Giovanii - Lost City
    Giovanii - Lost City Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Shields would be great idea.
    You'd die a lot less quicker and it would sorta make it fair.
  • Reigha - Heavens Tear
    Reigha - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Ok first off, sheilds, to me suck, they reduce your damage you give when you use a 1handed sword. That is my opinion only.

But, Sheilds could very easily be implimented id the devs wanted too. Without changing one thing ingame, exept adding new equipts. Just make new weapon/sheild combos that are drop only and very high LVL like 80+ also, using a sheild may reduse your damage, but it would give you 3 penatied,
    1 Attack speed, would be reduced by half
    2 There would have to be a Att penalty as well, to keep the game balanced.
    3 Noobs that Flame for no reason should be banned from ever using them.

That is my opinion, and just my opinion.
  • Elliemental - Lost City
    Elliemental - Lost City Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I am confused as to why there were no shields created wit this game? Shields are the ultimate symbol of defender and tanker.

Instead in this game, we have overgrown mutated wild animals who apparently speak common languages and live side by side with humans to symbolize the tanking/defender class.

I personally would rather look at a plus size human character than some extremely unrealistic mythical beast. I know the game is based on fantasy but lets keep some realism here -_-
    Ok, then they'd better remove elves too, especially winged ones. Not to mention monsters and dragons and huge bugs. Let's have an all-human MMORPG where we're fighting bears, hunting deer and killing other humans.

I mean come on, this game actually has one of the most intriguing settings out there. Changing it would make it lose it's attraction.
  • Su_WunKong - Heavens Tear
    Su_WunKong - Heavens Tear Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    We should have shields..!
  • scorpia2
    scorpia2 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Very smart. I forgot all about this. You are right, Chinese heavy armored units did not have shields, but usually heavy swords.
    ( i am an asian btw )
    Actually the chinese army uses shields, they invented various ingenious defense techniques using the humble shield. For example, during the Western Han Dynasty ,an oblong shield appeared so that soldiers could hold one handed. It was bound to the left forearm of a cavalry and changed shape to circular. Till the Northern and Southern Dynasty, a long hexagon one prevailed with the shield face introverting vertically like a leaf. When in the battle, it could either be hand held or be placed on the ground with the support of a stick. One famous and well known shield techniques was the fish scale technique, similar to the roman's shield wall. There have also been myths and rumors that the famous Stone Sentinel Maze invented by Strategist Zhuge Liang involved a vast army of shield walls that trap the enemy.

I don't think shields are a great idea , think about the archers and mages lol.
  • ina1166
    ina1166 Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    General Summer has a sheild, and the level 90 one-hand blade(?) So it could be possible, but his sheild is so fat!
    88 FIRE! An "anti-tank" projectile, accompanied by an AC-130 are on their way to ensure insanity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SupportAngel - Heavens Tear
    SupportAngel - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Shields in game would be nice even if we don't need them there`s always someone who wouldn't mind of having bit more physical defence. But I couldn't imagine my archer running around with shield and sword or bow. Many other mmo`s have shields, if this game is called PERFECT world it should have many kinds of weapons, armours AND shields.
    -- I disagree with what you say. But I will fight to the death for your right to say it --
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]