Erased Toon Name

Drask - Heavens Tear
Drask - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
I just deleted 2 toons (took 7 days to delete >_<) Because I was unhappy with look and class that they were. I go to create the first toon and it say that the name is already taken. Wait a day and it still say the same (I tried at least 20 times but still the same answer.) Finally gave up on that name and was waiting on another toon to be deleted to take that name. Once she got deleted, (not even 30 seconds after) I recreated her to reserve the name in the class and sex I wanted, knowing I could modify her once created but the name is already taken... I dont think it is even possible that I am this unlucky so this may be a bug...

Anyone had the same issue??
Anyone have any info on that?
Post edited by Drask - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• vigor
    vigor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Probably some other player took the name before you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lost City
  • Drask - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    In 30 seconds?? I was waiting on the cooldown for BOTH of this toon. It is name that I created too so that make it almost impossible for someone to create the toon before I do .. TWICE. As soon as the cooldown to recreate dissapeared I only selected race/class as fast as I could with the correct name WITHOUT checking the look just to make sure I had the name..
    If I am really that unlucky... I mean.. the odds are crazy small that someone created the toons in 30 seconds TWICE before me with a name that I created.
  • Haiz - Lost City
    Haiz - Lost City Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Happened to me as well. I deleted one and tried to remake with the same name and I got the same thing.
  • Ren - Lost City
    Ren - Lost City Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    When will this be fixed? I have a full account of reserved names and it seems like this makes them useless...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Zoe is so full of it, that he must be Karmelia.
  • Wacky - Heavens Tear
    Wacky - Heavens Tear Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, maybe once the name is used, it can never be used again?
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, maybe once the name is used, it can never be used again?

You got it.
  • Cat - Heavens Tear
    Cat - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    well sucks if they arent they race/class you want, othewrwise if its just the looks that you dont like, dont delete them, just get them to lvl 30, if I remember right and you will get a free transfiguration scroll as an end reward from a quest. Then you can change what your character looks like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada

Didn't anyone tell you that you wanted to sleep with me?!?! I thought you knew....
  • Drask - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    I have to admit that I find that.... weird
    Why would they do that?? Must be something with the fact that it is still only a Beta
  • Ren - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    There is no logical reason, especially since they disabled nonstandard characters in both names and chat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Ren - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    I like how admins don't seem to exist anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Drask - Heavens Tear
    edited September 2008
    I have to admit I would love an answer from an admin on this...
  • Unreal - Lost City
    Unreal - Lost City Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    i remember something with a 30 days waiting time until the name is availible again.
    not sure if it was for this game or an another i play. but i bet, its a quite similar system at this game too.
    €dit as much as you want. You cant Change the Truth!
    So dont think you are save. I am watching YOU!

[SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=466772001&dateline=1222356429[/SIGPIC]
    Faction: ReaL
    Old Factions: UnLimited, Heartless
    Server: Lost City - Its the way online mmorpg's should be.
  • pacifica
    pacifica Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Well Drask, I just had the same problem recently. Deleted some of my characters, each name was a unique name of mine. The game said 7 days until deletion so I waited until the exact time. Even 10 seconds or so before they were deleted, I typed in the name and just clicked "create" until the 10 seconds were up and more. I think it is very unlikely that all of my names could be taken at those exact times, so like many others that have posted in this thread, it really seems to be a bug in the system.

Since there wasn't any feedback from GMs here at the time, I emailed technical support since it was what seemed most relevant to the problem. No response as of yet. It has only been 3 days however.
  • Epic - Lost City
    Epic - Lost City Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    The names are saved into the database forever, never to be used again to prevent ID theft and confusion, I'm glad I snagged my name before anyone else did.
  • makeshift
    makeshift Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    GM response!

I have the same problem. Last Friday (9/19) I spoke to a GM about it ingame. He said
    - its a problem they know of
    - I'm not the only one
    - they are trying to fix it
    - He cannot give an ETA because at the time everyone had already left for the weekend.
    - It is currently not possible to reuse the names. (GMs cannot do it manually)

Thats not word for word but its basically the answers he gave me. The GM's name was FrankieRaye.

hope this helps you guys a bit.
  • Voiceoflight - Heavens Tear
    Voiceoflight - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    The names are saved into the database forever, never to be used again to prevent ID theft and confusion, I'm glad I snagged my name before anyone else did.

I have played in several games that did exactly that, they consider it a failsafe to name duplications and the like. Usually though once a year, or every six months they would do a purge to clear out unused names.
  • Ren - Lost City
    edited September 2008

This is illogical. I hope the gms will fix this, it's gonna **** off a lot of people when they decide to reroll and find that their names are taken.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Rizlaz - Lost City
    Rizlaz - Lost City Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Sorry to hear about your luck.
    Thats why I dislike deleting my characters because of the look. If you didnt like them you could of just kept them lvl them till 25-30 and use the free makeover scroll.
    But you did say you disliked the class.
    But still sorry to hear that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care if you dont like me. To each their own.
  • Infrequentia - Lost City
    Infrequentia - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    That really sucks. Hope they change it.
    My friend made a class that he regretted almost at once, so he's waiting for the char to be deleted so he can remake it with right class and same name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ..::Infrequentia x Cleric x Ascension - ACTIVE::..
    ..::Mestrix x Venomancer x Firefly - ACTIVE::..
    ..::Lost City::..
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    makeshift wrote: »
    GM response!

I have the same problem. Last Friday (9/19) I spoke to a GM about it ingame. He said
    - its a problem they know of
    - I'm not the only one
    - they are trying to fix it
    - It is currently not possible to reuse the names. (GMs cannot do it manually)

Thats not word for word but its basically the answers he gave me. The GM's name was FrankieRaye.

hope this helps you guys a bit.

THIS

yep, its a problem that we're aware of. The Home Office in Beijing is aware of it and looking into it. Unfortunately I cannot give you an ETA as to when this issue is expected to be resolved. :(
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    One reason they might do it is so that people like one of the above posters will not make full accounts of characters just to reserve names. All that person did is make it so that none of those names will ever be used (unless he ends up playing those characters).

Your best bet is to simply not get too attached to a character's name. I made a mistake on my first character so when I remade it I changed one letter of the name. Doing this also lets you avoid the 7 day wait.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    The game uses a standard SQL server database, its common practise to just put a field "deleted" rather than actually wiping a record.
    The chances that they would change the way the game handles deletes is plausable, but its not really a high priority thing and could take months. The alternative would be for an admin to access the database manually and go to delete the "deleted" char name record. This might **** up the database and break the entire game leading to a rollback XD and its just a bunch of work.

Doesn't give u a answer but its a "best guess" illustration of what the problem is.
  • Desire - Heavens Tear
    Desire - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    pacifica wrote: »
    Well Drask, I just had the same problem recently. Deleted some of my characters, each name was a unique name of mine. The game said 7 days until deletion so I waited until the exact time. Even 10 seconds or so before they were deleted, I typed in the name and just clicked "create" until the 10 seconds were up and more. I think it is very unlikely that all of my names could be taken at those exact times, so like many others that have posted in this thread, it really seems to be a bug in the system.

Since there wasn't any feedback from GMs here at the time, I emailed technical support since it was what seemed most relevant to the problem. No response as of yet. It has only been 3 days however.

This is what I had done. My reason for deleting was because I had accidentally made my char into a guy when I meant to make her a girl.... I was surprised to see that this was a bug or I never would have deleted it.

Though I don't have proof of making the character-- since I never really expected to have a problem deleting-- I have an e-mail from one of the PWI services with my character's name marked there. When logging onto an account on the PWI main page and going to support and click "submit ticket" it shows the characters on the account, even ones that were deleted. It still shows my deleted character there now. Would this be enough for proof? Would it be possible to get a notice beforehand or help retrieving our characters if/when the problem is fixed..? I am sorry if it seems like a lot of work but neither player nor GM intended for this to happen. I just wanted to know if those of us who had lost our characters could get a notice or service of some sort when the problem is fixed... :(