"Modding" PW

illyas
illyas Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
hi, i have a simple question or two.

i used to play Perfect World at the very first english beta ( EN MY), but there were 2 things i just didn't like about the game, being the fonts and the sound effects.

is it possible to use a custom font (by replacing a certain font file in the install dir or an other way) and use custom sound effects (the same way, or another?)

thanks in advance
Post edited by illyas on

Comments

• vigor
    vigor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Not without editing files. And editing files is against the ToS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lost City
  • illyas
    illyas Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    that's a shame
  • Max - Heavens Tear
    Max - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Indeed it is :(
    Max - Synesis
    Sage Axe BM Lvl 89
    Heavens Tears Server b:cool

[SIGPIC]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii87/NightCrawler81/dethklok_render_bg-2.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Kiira - Heavens Tear
    Kiira - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    vigor wrote: »
    Not without editing files. And editing files is against the ToS

Does this include editing textures? I know in Guild Wars we run a program called Texmod which allows users to capture textures in game and then edit them on their home PC using Photoshop/GIMP/whatever. They would then load the game and texmod files through the texmod program, only altering the textures on their screen, not everyone else's.

You can find more info about it here: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Texmod
    Example of some texmods created for Guild Wars can be seen here: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guide_to_modifying_in-game_graphics/Player_made_modifications (Just click on a category and then click on the sample link to view a sample of the mod.

Here's one that changes the color of a certain shield to match different gems.

Original:
    Amethyst_Aegis.jpg

And after using Texmod:
    Texmod_GarnetAegis.jpg
  • ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It includes anything like that.

Altering system files = not allowed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I doubt anything that stay client side, like font and music changes can be detected easily.

Or that they would even bother to look on that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • garblebeast
    garblebeast Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    But don't they check all the files on upgrades? I'm thinking that once you change them locally, you wouldn't really have to worry. But after you exit and go back in, and it checks, wouldn't it notice and just change them back?
    AKA Nikobug :D
  • Kiira - Heavens Tear
    Kiira - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I doubt anything that stay client side, like font and music changes can be detected easily.

Or that they would even bother to look on that.

That's ArenaNet's (The developers of Guild Wars) stance on texture modding basically. Although, if you run into a tech or support issue because of it, they won't help you with it. You can read more about their take on it here.

Truth be told, if you can only alter textures (How things look.) on your side (Which is all that texmod can do really.) I don't see the harm in it.
  • Raeli - Heavens Tear
    Raeli - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Truth be told, if you can only alter textures (How things look.) on your side (Which is all that texmod can do really.) I don't see the harm in it.

This is pretty much my stance on it. As far as I'm concerned, I can do whatever the hell I want with files on my own computer, ToS be damned. If PWE feels the need to ban for something like that...well, there are a lot of other MMOs out there.
  • Max - Heavens Tear
    Max - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    ToS already stablished their politics about modding or even double client the game (for stall purposes or a personal Medic =P)

When we open the client launcher, it makes a verification of certain files. If the verification founds some alteration, will let you log into the game, but also inform PWI staff about you making modding.

Dont be surprised if you found out a "Cant log in" message next time.

Good luck
    Max - Synesis
    Sage Axe BM Lvl 89
    Heavens Tears Server b:cool

[SIGPIC]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii87/NightCrawler81/dethklok_render_bg-2.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • gen2codehazzard
    gen2codehazzard Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i understand the rule`s to the "t.o.s" but on world of warcraft or guildwar`s you can make mod`s to altar thing`s why should perfect world be any different
    {heavens tear sever}
    =======================================
    meiko_ark_ elf b:laugh
    myspace/matrix_in_code
    xfire (matrix1in2code)
  • tatakairyu
    tatakairyu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Because this is not guild wars or warcraft lol?
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    tried clicking a golden edge? yah id be fun to have players harder to click then that
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i understand the rule`s to the "t.o.s" but on world of warcraft or guildwar`s you can make mod`s to altar thing`s why should perfect world be any different

Wrong, in one of those games modding the client in any manner other than the allowed UI *.lua mods, or a certain mod that replaces the error sounds with a null file can get you perma-banned, and they will skip right to perma-ban for even the first violation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Whoa supernecro. This thread's last post was in september ._.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.