archers... T_T

theninthseraphim
theninthseraphim Posts: 35 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Archer
Why do people say archers are very expensive? How expensive really?

And are Hieros absolutely essential? If they are like autopots from other games, can you just pot yourself?

And what's the build for a good pvp archer?
Post edited by theninthseraphim on

Comments

• theninthseraphim
    theninthseraphim Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    and also, does DEX raise crit rate percentage? Because a pure crit archer was godly in cabal and shaiya.
  • aland
    aland Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    archer's aren't expensive, it all comes down to how u play. u can play it the expensive way or the cheap way. it's the same for all classes.
    no one uses expensive ammmo all the time, it's better to have u shooting with cheaper ammo than using expensive ammo and trying to conserve it.
    archers get cheaper weapons, and cheaper armor, because those are almost exclusive to the archer class.. so don't tell me archer's expensive. Those who do tell u archers are expensive are probably those who wants to be the only **** pwning archer themselves because they are afraid of the overpopulation issue. Do not let them fool you, they will do anything to make u not play an archer, so they seem more unique.

Charms (lets forget about the my names now.. we are playing pw international), they are NOT essential, u only need them for the following reasons.
    1. you want to pvp and compete for how much gold u have, not how much skill u have.
    2. useful in tw
    3. u r lazy and don't like potting or would rather not move when mob hit u
    4. u have money
    5. for what the my ppl call "zhen" parties

"zhen" parties are not absolutely necesary, u can lvl up ur own way, u don't need to burn ur money away.
    You can get to lv 105 perfectly fine without ever using charms, and archers are a good class if u hit and run.
    Some ppl truthfully just dont' have the money to buy charms, and hell they don't need to. Those who push u to buy charms are immature, it's no fault of ur own. Do not EVER let any guild leader push u to buy charms for town war, those leaders are likely the ones who will take the money from territories into their own pocket anyways, so what's the point of spending ur money, for the luxiary for someone like that?

dex does increase crit %, every 20 dex raise ur crit by 1%

Stop asking builds, it's stupid. Those who follow builds are those who don't understand the stats or r too stupid to think for themselves.

the following is what u need to know
    Str - u need this to wear ur armor, weapons. You can have it higher if u want, u will have higher physical attack (if u choose to use claw or fist weapons), u will also have higher phy def, but of course it also means less points for the following.

Dex - increases ur ranged attack, dodge rate, AND crit %.

Vit - increase ur phy def, hp pool, hp regen rate

Mag - increase ur mag attack, magical resistance, mana pool, and mp regen rate.

Knowing this, u can tailor ur character to YOUR game style, and your preference. U r good at hit and run and mobs don't touch u? why don't u go all dex? feel like ur hp is not enough? add in a few vit. The balance is dependent on ur playing style, not what ppl say their own noob build is. Or even U like the high damage with the magic skills u have? why not go high magic?

For archers, high dex is pretty much no brainer, u get multiple effects that's good for archers. at high lvl ur dex really build up, and it will be hard for melee characters to even hit u, and with all the high dex, ur crit % builds up too, it's not uncommon u crit for 4 or even 5 times in a row as a high lvl archer.
  • pumpkin
    pumpkin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Thank you aland,

you are the one under tousends of people who tells the truth for once and i will thank you for that.

*thumbs up* :D
  • spawnlqx
    spawnlqx Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    aland wrote: »
    Stop asking builds, it's stupid. Those who follow builds are those who don't understand the stats or r too stupid to think for themselves.

Or it's for people that are new to the game, and want the input of veteran players of how to build their character to level up the fastest. Especially in PvP games, this is very common as they want to get through the grind as quick as possible to get straight into end game PvP, or to make money to beef up a new build, and rely on their personal skills while having the same build as everyone else.

When you're a TRUE mmo veteran, you appreciate the usefulness of "pre-builds", as beginner grinding in multiple games really gets old, especially if you make a mistake in your build and it takes longer than it should to level.

So I'm sorry to knock you off your high horse, but it's neither that people don't understand, or are too stupid. It's a very legitimate and smart way for someone to get through the grinding more effectively with fewer mistakes. It's also a good guideline for groups (ie: someone that follows a proven tank build can almost always tank better than one that veers off to their own build).

Someone that does their own build without info on anything is someone that what would fit your statement far better. The exception is the math wizard that learns all the formulas and algorithms to plan and create truly unique and dangerous builds. However, most of the time their build is unique enough that most people don't even want them in a party because they wouldn't know how to use them in it.

You'll find in almost every MMO, especially later on, most groups want members that follow these builds. It's always an uphill battle to prove to them otherwise...and if your character can't **** it, you may as well reroll.
  • hogodg1
    hogodg1 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    spawnlqx wrote: »
    Or it's for people that are new to the game, and want the input of veteran players of how to build their character to level up the fastest. Especially in PvP games, this is very common as they want to get through the grind as quick as possible to get straight into end game PvP, or to make money to beef up a new build, and rely on their personal skills while having the same build as everyone else.

When you're a TRUE mmo veteran, you appreciate the usefulness of "pre-builds", as beginner grinding in multiple games really gets old, especially if you make a mistake in your build and it takes longer than it should to level.

So I'm sorry to knock you off your high horse, but it's neither that people don't understand, or are too stupid. It's a very legitimate and smart way for someone to get through the grinding more effectively with fewer mistakes. It's also a good guideline for groups (ie: someone that follows a proven tank build can almost always tank better than one that veers off to their own build).

Someone that does their own build without info on anything is someone that what would fit your statement far better. The exception is the math wizard that learns all the formulas and algorithms to plan and create truly unique and dangerous builds. However, most of the time their build is unique enough that most people don't even want them in a party because they wouldn't know how to use them in it.

You'll find in almost every MMO, especially later on, most groups want members that follow these builds. It's always an uphill battle to prove to them otherwise...and if your character can't **** it, you may as well reroll.
    You could not be more wrong.

Look at what u quoted the person said in the first post!

There is no point for someone following a "build" if they don't know what they are doing. It is much more satisfying to tailor your build to ur play style, like the person said in the first post. Builds ARE useless, because builds are different for different type of play style.

He did not seem to be on a high horse, he was teaching what the stats were
    If he was on a high horse i'll just ignore the ppl asking questions..

Surely there are ppl who just follow builds mindlessly, but i agree it is not the way to go, because u end up a char that does not fit u, like a full dex archer, or a full magic cleric. Those builds work really well for some, some simply CAN NOT survive on them (for the reasons above, it's something obvious)
  • spawnlqx
    edited August 2008
    In my experience, it's been the opposite...new players that follow builds end up doing much better in game, finding an easier time with groups and help for their characters. If you don't know the game, tailoring a character to YOUR style just simply doesn't work most of the time...because you don't know your style yet (unless it's mindless **** and slash, in which case it's obvious where to go with it).

Couldn't be more wrong? Ha, try playing a few other mmo games, tell me how often you find more people doing well NOT sticking to a pre-build as opposed to one that follows a proven build.

As for fun, it can be plenty of fun, because that's how you get into the groups and raids easier, when they know what you have and you know what your build is for. Most people just want that, not to be rejected and be loners to grind by themselves most of the time because their build isn't what their party "job" is.
  • aland
    edited August 2008
    In my experience, it's been the opposite...new players that follow builds end up doing much better in game, finding an easier time with groups and help for their characters. If you don't know the game, tailoring a character to YOUR style just simply doesn't work most of the time...because you don't know your style yet (unless it's mindless **** and slash, in which case it's obvious where to go with it).

Couldn't be more wrong? Ha, try playing a few other mmo games, tell me how often you find more people doing well NOT sticking to a pre-build as opposed to one that follows a proven build.

As for fun, it can be plenty of fun, because that's how you get into the groups and raids easier, when they know what you have and you know what your build is for. Most people just want that, not to be rejected and be loners to grind by themselves most of the time because their build isn't what their party "job" is.

wow spawniqx, just wow.

Firstly, I have played a number of mmo games (what a lame tactic u r using, trying to be all high and mighty? or getting uself on a "high horse")
    "in ur experience", DUDE!! u can have "experience" in any game following stupid builds, and u can do so without EVER understanding what each stat does. All u end up with is a stupid build that someone made up for THEIR own game style, NOT urs. Yes u will have an "experience" but u can say that u r just experiencing what other ppl have experienced (I feel sad for u if this is what u have been doing in all of the mmos u played)

Not knowing ur own gaming style?? (hm.. maybe u really havent played another mmo, or u've been just following what are ppl who try and be on high horse tell u what to do, and u r have been mindlessly following?) Who in the world does not know their own gaming style? How do u choose ur characters? u just go with what ppl say is the best char? (LOL ur statements are so moo.. seriously)

Anyone who has read my post will understand the stats now.
    You still insist that a player who doesn't know how to hit and run will do well with a kick **** build like full dex archer?? REALLY??

Or a kick **** hit and runner who follow a archer vit build? who notice that they are not doing much damage and are wasting their points into vit coz they never get hit anyways??

WOW... u r a smart one spawniqx

Being in parties.... hm.... I guess u haven't played in games where u actually HAVE friends. I for one party with friends, not with high lvl or whatever, now THIS is my gaming style.

Use ur head more and follow other ppl less spawniqx.
  • spawnlqx
    edited August 2008
    You moron, I didn't say anything like that. I merely pointed out the advantages of going with a prebuild instead of the "build as you go" style to counter your statement about it. Pay attention and you can reply with something more intelligable, as opposed to just starting to flame because you didn't like what I had to say.
  • aland
    edited August 2008
    You moron, I didn't say anything like that. I merely pointed out the advantages of going with a prebuild instead of the "build as you go" style to counter your statement about it. Pay attention and you can reply with something more intelligable, as opposed to just starting to flame because you didn't like what I had to say.
    LOL!!!!

I pointed out the advantages of going with ur own gaming style AND NOT a stupid build other ppl post.

LEARN to read dude!!!
    I answered ur statements and pointed out all the reasons why it was ****.

I will not be here and babysit u anymore, I dont feel like explaining what I've already said again (why would i? it's so obvious!). Other ppl will find my post useful, where as urs, u really did u self well anyways
  • snipe
    snipe Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    aland is right. i want 2 make an archer and i think that her post helped me more than any other so thx aland!:D:D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • miksen
    miksen Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    by trying to use other peoples builds u learn how different skills fits together. when u can make a stronger and more personal builds

its allways a good idea to use other peoples experience to find ur own style
  • astarael
    astarael Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    well the internet crapped out just as i was making my original post . . .

but anyways, stop flaming and grow up.

some people like to research and compare different builds, weapon types etc, to make *informed choices* and to learn from more experienced players, not just 'following builds blindly'. others like to learn for themselves, but are more likely to make mistakes, and should they make some, some of them just reroll their characters, though admittedly, i'm not one of those. i like researching my role in parties, compare different stat and skill builds and the best weapon choices for that particular job.

if i'm on a healer (my favourite job), i would rather not stumble into a party, completely clueless about which heals are more mp efficient and less likely to steal aggro, with a mountain load of mp, but so little vit that i would die in one hit. i would prefer enough vit that i can at least last a few hits, but still have optimum mp for my level, and have at least some knowledge of which spells are better for any given situation, and the fastest and most efficient way for me to learn all of that is to do my homework and learn from others.

to stay on topic, after reading through some threads, i've decided to go with a hybrid archer build, and am now going to research skill builds . . . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All my sigs are made in Paint, so if you don't like them, tough cookies.
  • dewie
    dewie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    the problem of mobs nearing and reducing ur damage i solve like this:
    i put m bow and fists in a quickslot.
    i hit the mob hard with my bow and when its standin just 2 inches awy from me i switch to fists and knock em dead
    (at the time the mob gets near to me it's almost completely dead so i don't focus on the fists, it's just helpfull cause it hits a bit higher damage but hits a lot faster)
  • holywinter
    holywinter Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    i need your help after seeing what you've written i find that u r knowledgeble| ALANDI know that STR = Strength
    DEX=Dexterity
    INT=Intelligence
    VIT=Vitality

BUT
    For each classes ( barbarian ,venomacer|blademaster,wizard|archer,cleric),each stats means different things...i think see im confused hope veterans out there can assist me .To give me some knowledge about this matter,cuz when i read through the forums its kinda confusing :S Im in Heaven's Tears named HolyWinter I really really need help :( not only aland's i too need other's view and assitance thanks lots.:)
  • darkbeowulf
    darkbeowulf Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Well since im new to the game i would love to follow a prebuild get used to the game more and then create my own unique build like a "smart" person. And please don't flame me saying i need to make my own id rather get used to the gameplay get more knowledge since i love archers.

I was thinking Full dex but i was reading that your wings on a archer drain mp so would i need some mp to counter the drain (or does this mp drain even exist). and any other pointers a newbie could use very much appreciated also if theres a early post with prebuild can someone kindly redirect me to the post with a link.

Thankies for the help for anyone answering me which i hope is soon since the download has 10 mins left :p
    Darkness Arise and Darkness Fall.
    Stary Night And Cloudy Sky.
    Evil Will Never Stop.
  • achika
    achika Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    As someone who is currently downloading the game, I personally always look up pre-build chars beforehand when starting an MMO. This gives great input on how to stat raise a character for efficient grunding. Of what I read I will probably do max dex build since of the advantages of crit rate in every other game ive played.

For the most part finding out certain builds have already been tested and they worked, I'd like to know this so my first character doesn't take 1billion and 1 years to get higher or become good at PvP. Although I don't always say play a pre determined build I highly suggest for new players to follow a predetermined build when first entering a new MMO, as your character will probably end up stronger than average making it easier to learn how the game mechanics.

Calling someone an Idiot for asking a build is rude and definetly can be taken as acting superior. And is why spawn would say "get off your high horse".

And honestly your need(Aland) for being individual is pathetic, too simply weaken a maximum character potential do to be unique is more narrow-minded than someoen who thinks you have to follow a pre-determined build.

Thank you for the useful part of your posts, not the bull that went with it.

EDITED:
    LOL, at darkbeowulf saying pretty much the same thing as me. BTW of what ive learned so far beowulf all we are going to have to do is put dex up max each level and only raise str to use the newest equipment we can. It will give us max dodge and crit rate. My dl is still 1:30 left.=(
  • darkbeowulf
    darkbeowulf Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Lol thankies my ign is on my archer is Erim if you wanna contact me if im not on that im on my veno i heard that there good at getting money for archer which is going truthfully already gotten 60k on limestone collecting btw my veno name is LadyLestat if you wanna party up or anything :p
    Darkness Arise and Darkness Fall.
    Stary Night And Cloudy Sky.
    Evil Will Never Stop.
  • heaven123
    heaven123 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Stupid to tell people who are new to the game just build what you feel like. They don't understand the game and the mechanics yet. If I tell you to go make a souffle, what are you going to do? Better to see what other people are doing and how it works then figure out if it works for you than having no real direction and winging it.
  • heaven123
    heaven123 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    hogodg1 wrote: »
    You could not be more wrong.

Look at what u quoted the person said in the first post!

There is no point for someone following a "build" if they don't know what they are doing. It is much more satisfying to tailor your build to ur play style, like the person said in the first post. Builds ARE useless, because builds are different for different type of play style.

He did not seem to be on a high horse, he was teaching what the stats were
    If he was on a high horse i'll just ignore the ppl asking questions..

Surely there are ppl who just follow builds mindlessly, but i agree it is not the way to go, because u end up a char that does not fit u, like a full dex archer, or a full magic cleric. Those builds work really well for some, some simply CAN NOT survive on them (for the reasons above, it's something obvious)

So... how would you know a full dex archer or what not doesn't work for you? You try the build? You basically find out the mechanics of that build, then try it, then if it doesn't work out... oh well. maybe you'll even realize you don't want to play that class.
  • l0ki
    l0ki Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    aland wrote: »
    wow spawniqx, just wow.

Firstly, I have played a number of mmo games (what a lame tactic u r using, trying to be all high and mighty? or getting uself on a "high horse")
    "in ur experience", DUDE!! u can have "experience" in any game following stupid builds, and u can do so without EVER understanding what each stat does. All u end up with is a stupid build that someone made up for THEIR own game style, NOT urs. Yes u will have an "experience" but u can say that u r just experiencing what other ppl have experienced (I feel sad for u if this is what u have been doing in all of the mmos u played)

Not knowing ur own gaming style?? (hm.. maybe u really havent played another mmo, or u've been just following what are ppl who try and be on high horse tell u what to do, and u r have been mindlessly following?) Who in the world does not know their own gaming style? How do u choose ur characters? u just go with what ppl say is the best char? (LOL ur statements are so moo.. seriously)

Anyone who has read my post will understand the stats now.
    You still insist that a player who doesn't know how to hit and run will do well with a kick **** build like full dex archer?? REALLY??

Or a kick **** hit and runner who follow a archer vit build? who notice that they are not doing much damage and are wasting their points into vit coz they never get hit anyways??

WOW... u r a smart one spawniqx

Being in parties.... hm.... I guess u haven't played in games where u actually HAVE friends. I for one party with friends, not with high lvl or whatever, now THIS is my gaming style.

Use ur head more and follow other ppl less spawniqx.

Hmm.. I expect that your a pro archer so.. here's the question

I got 25 points on con.. and kind of... uhh.. unbalanced STR to wear lightarmors but.. I have some +3 and +4 to str items so I have no Problems with that ATM.. and my question is.... Should I restat? I have no Problem getting hits on mobs and getting mobbed by 2-3 normal mobs *except elite mobs in FB* but I'm getting Pissed off when I miss.. I miss like 1-2 times per mob.. and I have a 1000+ accuracy so expect that I have 130+ agi... and. quitely..I don't know if my dmg sucks cuz I do like 700-800 dmg per arrow using bone bolt*
  • seido
    seido Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    aight. thx for the info. iv'e definitally have had my mind on archers in every mmo ive played, and will love this one when its done downloading.

im looking for experienced mmo players to help with advice in game so look me up, ill be starting up soon.

-games played and conquered, always archer ^_^ = shaiya, rohan, runescape, maple story.

game atm-rohanonline, im going to switch this game to pw. look me up, you can contact me on myspace (yes i use it, everyone secretly does).display name= //Seido//
    :cool:
  • sillgraan
    sillgraan Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Rohan's awesome, it's just sad that the botters have taken over the game :(

Anyhow, there's nothing wrong in asking for stat builds and skill builds from more experienced players, besides, in most games (I don't know about PW, I'm still new) there are only 3-4 effective builds for each class anyway...
    I'd much rather ask experienced players for help in making my char (no, not blindly following a build) rather than mess up my char, and end up having to buy a restat scroll or rerolling, I don't have much time to play as it is, and getting advices from experienced players really helps :p

But what I like about this game the most is that archers are considered the DD in this game, and not the pullers like in other games, I really like this fact, cause I love archers, but I got sick of pulling ^^ also I like the fact that my archer looks like me here ^^
  • Faerun - Heavens Tear
    Faerun - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    TBH spawnlqx makes the most sense here, you can fool around with making your own build knowing what each stat does but that doesn't compensate for the experience other more veteran players already have with the game. Build guides won't ruin your game experience they will however enchance your survivability and the chances you don't do anything stupid and have to restat because you simply can't match up to other player's builds.
    Many builds tell what that build is for and what the pros and cons are very accuratley in most game instances (be it TW, FB or just plain outworld hunting) so they explain why they are the way they are based off "real life" (ironic i know) experience.

Following a stat/skill guide isn't necessary, it is something everyone chooses to do or not.

If you allocate the stats based on no real experience with a game you're highly likely you'll get useless skills (in the long run, or simply useless (most/many mmos have useless skills..) that wil keep you from getting the better skills (and their levels) earlier on (in this sp based system); also you'll get stats that you thought might be usefull (there's a valid reason why you'd think int would influence some of the archer's skill) but proove quite a waste of points in the end..

Anyway seeing different builds and making up your mind if to follow one or another based on your play style (yes, there are builds for different play stiles usually documented, especially with a game like this that's been out for quite a while (my/i/etc) it's the best thing to do I believe.

Enjoy your choices whatever they may be :P.
  • Elsavita - Heavens Tear
    Elsavita - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    get out.

This is my first character.

And my experience with it is; there is nothing that makes a archer expensive.

The arrows? well , buy the ones from 2 coins.

Armor? u'll recieve at quests; NPC same price as other classes.

Assesoires? U recieve from quests/drops, buy from player shops/NPC's ata later stage.

I have 230k (just level 23) Without spending any real $.
    (psshh I did bought 2100 zen, didn't used them yet though ;) )
  • Nevermore - Heavens Tear
    Nevermore - Heavens Tear Posts: 438 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    get out.

This is my first character.

And my experience with it is; there is nothing that makes a archer expensive.

The arrows? well , buy the ones from 2 coins.

Armor? u'll recieve at quests; NPC same price as other classes.

Assesoires? U recieve from quests/drops, buy from player shops/NPC's ata later stage.

I have 230k (just level 23) Without spending any real $.
    (psshh I did bought 2100 zen, didn't used them yet though ;) )

You're what lvl with your archer? Besides, its your first archer, with all due respect but what do you know?

Get to my level and you will realise that yes, archers ARE expensive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slapsmcsux
    slapsmcsux Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Ok heres a little tip for archers to fly unlimited at lvl 9, put 99% of your ap into mana and dex, im not lying, its true. im on heavens tear server if you dont beleive me, archer's name is luxio, id be glad to prove it anytime, take THAT people who say unlimited fly is only at lvl 20+
    edited October 2008
    slapsmcsux wrote: »
    Ok heres a little tip for archers to fly unlimited at lvl 9, put 99% of your ap into mana and dex, im not lying, its true. im on heavens tear server if you dont beleive me, archer's name is luxio, id be glad to prove it anytime, take THAT people who say unlimited fly is only at lvl 20+

Congrats on your utterly screwed up and useless Archer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Luxio - Heavens Tear
    Luxio - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    IF it was useless it wouldnt be able to kill, it can kill things above its lvl. Which is good for me stating that i dont judge people like you do. You get your kicks out of making people feel useless
  • xavierdark
    xavierdark Posts: 1
    edited October 2008
    most of you ask for pre build archer without any good reason except you dont wana screws your caracter right? no build is awaible before you can aswers many question is not same if you play 1 hour or 10 hours daily is not same if you play solo or party (or what party you have) is not same if hit and run or you stand and take damage so until now you have 6 builds what you will chose if you dont know how or were to play ?
    if some1 will post a lvl 90 build how that will help a lvl 30?
    most of pre build users want to reach high lvl shortes time and for that no build is good and you feeling for game will be close to 0.
    you want to be best in pvp good for you try to be diferent then same build only luck decide fight.
    edited October 2008
    IF it was useless it wouldnt be able to kill, it can kill things above its lvl. Which is good for me stating that i dont judge people like you do. You get your kicks out of making people feel useless

You are lvl 11 for crying out loud. Lvl up to lvl 50+ then come here again and tell me AGAIN that your build is good.

And I advise you to stop twisting my words like you did in the other topic. I called your BUILD useless, I in no way called YOU useless. Stop taking things so personal, sheesh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]