Level 1 Beetle?

Options
reyrey
reyrey Posts: 9 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Venomancer
Ok so I've seen posts on training up a level 1 beetle as a tank and I figured I'd grab one since I hate the golem blocking my screen. I've spent hours scouring the elf/beast zones and all I find are level 2 beetles. Is this some sort of closed beta critter, or worse, a rare spawn?

Rey~
Post edited by reyrey on

Comments

• Anyandrell - Heavens Tear
    Anyandrell - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    go to the starting area north of Lost City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reyrey
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Spent over an hour running back and forth between the two main spots they spawn, I cleared the spawn several times each side, I'm beginning to think its a hoax.

Rey~
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Uh. Go to where you first start off the game. There are level 1 beetles and level 1 flower things hanging around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I tamed a level 1 beetle and levelled it up to almost level 30, and I can tell you that it starts falling behind the golem both in damage and tanking. (even though it has clearly better stats at 17). I ended up just throwing the egg away.

It was an interesting idea, but it didnt work out.
  • tao
    tao Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The beetle is an alternative tanking pet to the golem but a little behind in some stats.
    It has average stats all round so it's not bad. The only thing I dislike about it is it's running speed but then its about the same as the golem.

If you are going to choose a beetle pet then you may as well go for the nicest looking one. There is very little difference between the level 1 and level 3 beetles in terms of stats. But the higher level ones will have an extra skill.

The level 1 beetles are really ugly so go for the higher level ones
    I prefer the level 3 orange stagbeetles from the human starting area as they look the coolest.
  • denyer
    denyer Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I tamed a level 1 beetle and levelled it up to almost level 30, and I can tell you that it starts falling behind the golem both in damage and tanking. (even though it has clearly better stats at 17). I ended up just throwing the egg away.

It was an interesting idea, but it didnt work out.

what about the lvl 3 beetle?
  • reyrey
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I did some experimenting with bugs, and found something odd. The Jaden Quingfu (beast starter area) lv1 has better stats than the Quadastral Beetle (same area) lv2 when both are the same level, but for some reason there seems to be a damage block on the Jaden. I levelled them both to 6th level and they had roughly the same level of tame (maybe 2-3 point variance but both were "tame"). Where the Quadastral would do 15 or so to a target, the Quingfu would do maybe 5 to the same target despite having a higher damage rating. I'm going to eventually test the Quingfu's of the other two regions to see if they have the same quirks, hopefully they wont as I kinda like the odd look of em. My Quadastral has done just fine as a tank up to 17th level, easily holding 2 equal or 1 level higher targets with minimal to no help from me.

Rey~

(editted to fix beetle names :P)
  • reyrey
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Seems the Verdant Quingfu is broken as well, I tamed and levelled one to 10th. At 10th level it did a massive 8 damage to a 10th level enemy. Here are its stats:

HP: 386 Phys Atk: 76
    Phys Res: 825 Mag Res: 698
    Damage: 237 Evade: 132

I don't know the math but its comparable stat-wise to pretty much all other 10th level pets, anyone know why it does such abysmal damage?

Rey~
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Is that Damage supposed to be accuracy? Doesn't make sense to have both a damage stat and a phys atk stat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tao
    tao Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    First of all make sure your pets are at max loyalty before comparing them.
    You also have to account for their attack speed. Some pets have lower attack damage but higher attack speed. The Golem for example have a high attack damage but lower attack speed.
  • reyrey
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Max loyalty? Is this some sort of wives tale from the closed beta? At 20th level both my Quad Beetle and Golem did the exact same damage at 700 loyalty as at 999 loyalty, 138 on the quad, 215 on the golem when hitting an equal level wolfkin. It's 120% damage at 700 Loyal (dunno exactly when it goes from tame to loyal) and 999 Loyal, so unless there's some magic 999 loyalty level the damage is the same.

Which leads me to my next "discovery" while the beetle seems like a good substitute, the barely noticeable attack speed/move speed bonus of the beetle over golem doesn't seem to make up for the much greater damage, fights all ended faster with the golem and I just see the gap widening as they get higher level (the beetles only big lead is magic resistance).

Guess I'll just have to deal with the screen blocking Golem :)

Rey~
  • Polarity - Lost City
    Polarity - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The point being you need your pets to be at the same loyalty level before a fair comparison can be made.
    As for the beetle pets, nobody said they were better than the golems. They are for those who want a pet that is different and unique, something to set them apart from the masses. If you want the best then just stick to your golem like everyone else.
  • reyrey
    edited September 2008
    Options
    And my point was that my critters did the exact same damage at 700 loyalty as 999, and I'm sure it was the same at 550. I can see not comparing a tame critter to a loyal one as the loyal one has the damage bonus, but other than that all I've seen the numbers mean is how long your pet will stay with you if you quit feeding it/let it die.

My point on the beetles was from other posts that claimed level 1 beetles could be raised up to be better tanks than golems. This is entirely untrue, as much as I was HOPING the beetles would be better as they're not a huge vision obstruction like the golem. I'm sure the Quingfu at 17, and even beyond would have better all around stats than a golem, and the level 2 beetles have comparable all around stats. Eventually the golem will pull away as a physical tank since it's totally focus'ed on hp/regen/attack/phy res where the beetles are a little more rounded. As I pointed out in my testing while the Quingfu and the Quadastral beetle had good stats on paper, in play their damage output was either pitiful (Quingfu) or just average (Quadastral) and the minimal attack speed difference did nothing to help it.

I'm also beginning to doubt that lower level critters of the same type will be better than higher level ones because they train up better as pets, but thats another "test" to come :)

Rey~