How do you sniff out a apy amongst your guildess/family.

Options
jhop
jhop Posts: 13 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Guild Banter
When your infromation is being leaked out to the enemy. How do you know who is leaking it?
Post edited by jhop on

Comments

• mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Why does it matter? What are they going to leak out, your TW plans? That's about the only thing I see worth worrying about and that can (and probably will) be swapped out immediately.

We've had a couple of "spies" join RQ, and I've never found a reason for them. New members do not get any power in the guild as we've been around for 5 years, and there's no really "critical" information in PW that could leak out. HHs and FBs are instanced and can't be interrupted. The only time leaked info could cause havoc is when we're doing our cultivations for the first time, and we could be ganked while fighting... Chewy, for instance.

It's really not worth the trouble.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    mystic wrote: »
    Why does it matter? What are they going to leak out, your TW plans? That's about the only thing I see worth worrying about and that can (and probably will) be swapped out immediately.

We've had a couple of "spies" join RQ, and I've never found a reason for them. New members do not get any power in the guild as we've been around for 5 years, and there's no really "critical" information in PW that could leak out. HHs and FBs are instanced and can't be interrupted. The only time leaked info could cause havoc is when we're doing our cultivations for the first time, and we could be ganked while fighting... Chewy, for instance.

It's really not worth the trouble.

Ya i dont really care for spies either just wana see how other ppl handle with them. Never encountered the problem. I guess the the other type of info that could be leaked, is if your making an alliance to attack another guild's land at the same time. After that its a waste of time.
  • rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Better question is why would someone even bother being a spy in the first place.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • seph
    seph Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I've played a ton of mmo's and in NONE of them was there actually a need to have someone in your enemy guild to spy, I dont think that will be the case in this game either (at least I hope it wont be.)
  • sphinx
    sphinx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    spying for the lose. all i got to say
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reparta
    reparta Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Even trying to spy isn't generally worth the effort, most spies will get picked out for being stupid and a great number of the rest don't have the patience to actually get information (if there were any to get in the first place). There are a few people who COULD get information but in most cases the effort to get them into a guild compared to what info you get is horrible and not worth it. Add to that the fact that most of the time by the time a spy gets into position to do anything the guild he works for isn't an enemy with the guild he's spying on anymore.

In fact I've only heard of one instance of spying that produced any results. It was a couple of years back in Lineage 2 (I think) basically this one guy got into a guild and got on their Vent server. Basically he set it up so his guild could hear anything said on the Vent server he was spying on, mostly including in-battle plans. :confused:

Most people don't bother spying though, it takes the game a little to far for mosts tastes. If you needed to deal with a spy though you'd need to find out what info was being leaked, single out who had access to it, then give each one information in turn and see when you got a reaction. To much effort to be truthful, after all most just give up after a month or two of having to tell their leader that "Bokie is going to see his mom again tonight but I don't think he likes her." :D

I rant to much. :( I've never played this game so I shouldn't really talk I guess.
  • splice
    splice Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    actually, spies r very efficient in PW against ur enemy guilds. This has been done before, and it sure sucks **** to have a spy leaking ur TW plans during a war. Also, spies can take SS of enemy guildlist for them to prepare and plan out tactics. Like previously said, spies r good to know if some other guilds r plotting to GB another. Big guilds like to do it, and the spies prolly get rewarded($$) for being rats lol.
    so far, spies r really hard to dealt with. U pretty much just have to go with it until somehow u figure out who it is. Its not smart to go all paranoid and start kicking every1 out of ur guild. Just stay cool and let it be. Do ur best and no spy can stop u!
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well, I don't know what a spy would want to leak out... TW plans are made, and only revealed when the time comes to use it - leaving no time for the enemy to react faster than usual. If worse comes to worst, I'll just PM the various party leaders in war to tell them what they need to do, and let them decide the rest on their own. It's more work, but at least I don't need to worry about spies...

Can't people just play legit-like?
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    If people gotta spy, that's their pathetic problem. They're still going to lose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • parren
    parren Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    only weak will be spying so what else i need to say :)
  • xauss
    xauss Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    theres a lot of anti-spy sentiment being expressed, and really i dont know why... it is inevitable that many players will make alts that join another guild... at what point does this become spying?

deliberate spies can be impossible to spot when played by a smart player... the alt joining another guild can just say they are a casual gamer (hence only do dailies and quest / grind a couple of times a week) and not draw attention to themselves.

from here they can screenie the guild window to provide info on players and levels to an opposing guild... and if there is a guild website that discusses TW strategies and tactics, they can feed this info to their 'main' guild too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • faruxue
    faruxue Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Why is WarLord so successful on Oracle? because they have spies in every major guild in the server, Reborn/NewEra/Black/Malaysia. WL knows everything that goes on in their guild chat, anything that's being said in guild will be common knowledge to WL members.

A spy can give you info on where your enemies are leveling, therefore saving you time to hunt them down. Because what's the first place to find AoE party members when you wanna go zhen? Your guild of course!

It's is quite easy to plant spies in another guild, especially if you have an average level EP alt, like 7x-8x, you can easily spark a friendship with an enemy guild member by just buffing/healing/ressing them, then it's just a matter of time to ask to be invited to the guild.
    This way is much safer to stay in the guild as opposed to just asking to join out of the blue, you look much less suspicious, and at least you made a friend in the guild who will back you up when the guild master askes why you havent leveled up at all.
    ULTIMATE TOPIC:
    See 3 RQ get owned by 1 WB
    copy and paste onto your web link
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=33421
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Actually, WarLord is so successful based on how their core members used too much real-life $, and had their characters being played nearly 24/7. They were able to take land very early, and then offer a very high salary - thus recruiting many other like-minded players, and sapping the server of its strength. As time goes on, they will end - the spies are nonfactors.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • niajade
    niajade Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    jhop wrote: »
    When your infromation is being leaked out to the enemy. How do you know who is leaking it?

Well, you have to ask, what information could we be keeping secret that it mattered if it got out?

If I planned a TW strategy and it got out, then I should be smart enough to think on my feet and improvise as I go. If not me, my Officers.

Other than that - really nothing to hide and be fearful of.

Who is leaking it? Well - who cannot look me in the eye....

NiaJade
    Yestermoon - SB | Dawnglory
  • niajade
    niajade Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    faruxue wrote: »
    Why is WarLord so successful on Oracle? because they have spies in every major guild in the server, Reborn/NewEra/Black/Malaysia. WL knows everything that goes on in their guild chat, anything that's being said in guild will be common knowledge to WL members.

A spy can give you info on where your enemies are leveling, therefore saving you time to hunt them down. Because what's the first place to find AoE party members when you wanna go zhen? Your guild of course!

It's is quite easy to plant spies in another guild, especially if you have an average level EP alt, like 7x-8x, you can easily spark a friendship with an enemy guild member by just buffing/healing/ressing them, then it's just a matter of time to ask to be invited to the guild.
    This way is much safer to stay in the guild as opposed to just asking to join out of the blue, you look much less suspicious, and at least you made a friend in the guild who will back you up when the guild master askes why you havent leveled up at all.

But at the same time -- what possible information could they leak that can be harmful.

How many members? Well - that can be noted by looking around the main cities.

What levels? Easy - look at the characters information (armor). Money? Another easy - see how they are outfitted, what mounts, what aviation, do they have hieros, divine armor? etc..

Guild Drama? Read world or local chat, walk around where they roost, its all fairly apparent.

Guild Activity? Read forum - find out their TW - go see how many show... what levels.. again, all very apparent.

Strategy? If they are not active, not many show up to TW, their armor and weapons suck - well, you can be sure their strategy is nothing to be afraid of.

NiaJade
    Yestermoon - SB | Dawnglory
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

What a warlord fanboi. They just had asian no lifers in the guild. Thats their only big secret.

WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOw
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    t0yo wrote: »
    What a warlord fanboi. They just had asian no lifers in the guild. Thats their only big secret.

WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOw

+1.
    Spying is useless. Stop spreading BS propaganda.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • faruxue
    faruxue Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    woot i love WL so much

i also love RQ the same amount *wink*
    ULTIMATE TOPIC:
    See 3 RQ get owned by 1 WB
    copy and paste onto your web link
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=33421
  • miwhite
    miwhite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    there are alot of spies especially for TW and it does work.... helps decide if you wanna fake bid :D

this is gonna be fun!! woot!

avoid spies by not recruiting once biding starts for territory and a week after
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • showharu
    showharu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

Spy are for losers, that is not why WL is successful. Like really who hell lets 6 plp play on one damn account.... NeoNe0.

To answer question, kick anyone who dont lvl, talk,have wierd name, its quite obvious.
  • odb
    odb Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    spies are easy to deal with. you can easily figure out what guild is getting info on you then you go and pk the **** out of them until they learn some respect. if you are not strong enough to wipe them out then they are idiots for wasting their time trying to spy on a weak guild that isnt a threat to them in the first place.