It was Inevitable...now what?

negative
negative Posts: 6 Arc User
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Be warned, this thread is a bit of a read and though it may sound a bit aggressive at times, I assure you I'm not trying to flame or offend anyone (apologies in advance to those who dislike this). Anyway to get straight to the point, look at this picture:

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spammerscz5.jpg

Yes, this was talked about before here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=40971 but judging from the very slow response on things here I'm totally stumped as to how PWI is approaching issues like this as there has been literally no information as to what the heck you are supposed to do and what is being done.

Now I am reasonable with this as agreeably it is something that comes to a lot of MuhMORePehGuh's (have fun figuring what that meant =] ) but as bots begin to emerge, please do tell us what we should do in some way or another because waiting a while can seriously compromise a game at times (believe me, I've seen quite a few games get stomped by such botters/spammers during their OB stages).

Yes there are some mechanics ingame to help "combat" this but it seems very slow and poorly documented if not very inflexible (or 'D', all of the above). I wasn't entirely sure which would be the best way to report the spammer/bot until after a while I found GM contact tool that seemed to be constrained with "hey I found a bot" or "hey I found a hacker" which doesn't always apply to several situations where you may need GM support for something else. Notice I said "seemed"--perhaps there was a way to change it but try as I might I couldn't figure it out easily--maybe it's still in its beta stages or I missed something. Now place that kind of confusion into the thousands of other players out that who may not even want to spend the extra time doing what a GM should be doing (aka, cleaning up the server).

The worst part about this is it doesn't simply send the information to the GM from my knowledge--rather it appears to be some kind of tap on the shoulder where you then have to explain the situation to them if not provide some evidence or additional information. Now that usually is fine if you did it before hand in something like a support ticket but nope, we have to wait for an undocumented amount of time until a GM contacts you through some mystical unknown form. Sure is sketchy to me. I also imagine it'd be equally as rough for GM's to manage aside from just the players being left in the dark. This is exactly why I mentioned the use of a support ticket system. One that has various features like: description boxes, template questions, timers as to when you'd get help, and more would help exponentially with botters and general issues like a player being stuck. Would it solve botters completely or prevent them from coming in? Definitely not but it seems better than the current system.

Of course I'm not saying we have to use that--it was an example. However, I've seen a lot of good methods of managing this which has also been done in F2P MuhMORePehGuh's but I won't say any names because everyone's going to throw the book at me saying "yeah but it's another game and it doesn't exactly apply". Well I'm not saying anything about changing the entire gameplay for that matter but am merely asking for you to try something else if not tell us what your master plan is. I think game companies have to always think about innovative, effective and efficient ways of giving support to players and not just a slew of other things because this can seriously damage a community and the ingame experience. That said, PWI could very well be focusing on that too, yet the lack of information and formal communication regarding this isn't helping. Remember, the storm is coming and whether or not it can be endured is up to the staff of PWI.

And I guess that concludes my usual hints of craziness and "rantageness", but I think expanding this issue to the community would be good for feedback's sake. What are your two cents about the issue? Of course questions, comments, coffee and outrage are welcome if you feel it is needed for this thread. I'm no prophet after all. :rolleyes: Just keep the flames away as I'm trying to steer away from a pyrotechnic experience and more towards an intelligent one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by negative on

Comments

• mia0
    mia0 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    GM Responsibilities are to deal with hackers and botters currently (the fact tat they respond to various other issues has no bearin on this apart from making them seem like the most tolerant people, ever).

There will be a ticketing support system, I think I read it is in development on the relevant page.

PS I love your last little pic :D.
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I totally agree with you there, I've known a GM on another "illegal" sever and we tested these features.

The rightclick on a players name and "report bot" I think it sais causes a little popup on the gm's screen similar to your [!] for party/friend invites. And has some info on who you reported and where they are I presume"

The other [GM] button at the bottom left basicly just summons the GM to you with the "tap on the shoulder" thing. Its kinda scary when you hit the button and nothing happens then go about ur business and suddenyl 5mins later a GM is running behind you. Same feeling you get when u see a police car behind you with sirens wailing.. "does he want me to move out the way or do i need to run for my life" ><

At least change the names on the buttons to reflect what they do make the one done via rightclicks something like "report illegal activity" and the gm button "I need to consult a GM".

Lastly I noticed that if the GM isnt online at the exact moment you report a player, nothing happens. You'd at least expect the game to log the reports to deliver them when a GM signs in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • negative
    negative Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    mia0 wrote: »
    GM Responsibilities are to deal with hackers and botters currently (the fact tat they respond to various other issues has no bearin on this apart from making them seem like the most tolerant people, ever).

There will be a ticketing support system, I think I read it is in development on the relevant page.

PS I love your last little pic :D.

Well I suppose so, but so far there hasn't been a lot of official word as to what their duty/services extend towards. I personally think things like this are mandatory to keep track of as I've said earlier that it leaves a game extremely vulnerable to "spam attacks" that destroy a community quite easily, especially for newcomers who are trying to get a feel of the game. However it is heartening to know they might be doing this, although it would be amazing if they officially stated something like this in a clearer spot....

Oh and thanks for the compliment on the sig picture. :p
    lipe124 wrote: »
    I totally agree with you there, I've known a GM on another "illegal" sever and we tested these features.

The rightclick on a players name and "report bot" I think it sais causes a little popup on the gm's screen similar to your [!] for party/friend invites. And has some info on who you reported and where they are I presume"

The other [GM] button at the bottom left basicly just summons the GM to you with the "tap on the shoulder" thing. Its kinda scary when you hit the button and nothing happens then go about ur business and suddenyl 5mins later a GM is running behind you. Same feeling you get when u see a police car behind you with sirens wailing.. "does he want me to move out the way or do i need to run for my life" ><

At least change the names on the buttons to reflect what they do make the one done via rightclicks something like "report illegal activity" and the gm button "I need to consult a GM".

Lastly I noticed that if the GM isnt online at the exact moment you report a player, nothing happens. You'd at least expect the game to log the reports to deliver them when a GM signs in.

Yeah, I was kind of scared whether I could log off or not after reporting the guy through one of these weird preset messages that were totally misleading to my case. I just sat around not knowing when the GM would respond and how they would and I had to go soon which made things all that worse. There is such a lack of information for this which is why I made this thread. It feels so bizarre not knowing if anyone is out there online to help and when/how they will help you. If I could've left a message that'd be great but as you said it doesn't look like there is much of a well-structured system yet which is kind of a bad sign IMO.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what exactly happens =\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]