G4TV MMO Report - Haiku Contest - Win 5,000 ZEN?

Options
xarfox
xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
On September 5th, Perfect World International was featured on The MMO Report, a part of the Feed on G4TV.

On the show there is a contest where you can win 5,000 ZEN.

Check out the episode here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by xarfox on

Comments

• severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    >_< i coudn't enter my address for registeration there, that site only accecpts N.A users.
    so i used N/A for city etc.
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • danubus37
    danubus37 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I know im the one who posted it. ;)
  • lyrielcrossfield
    lyrielcrossfield Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It's a scam. XD There's no deadline or prize date. Ergo they don't have to reward anyone because they'll just claim the contest hasn't ended yet.

...seriously though. >> They need a deadline at least.
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It's a scam. XD There's no deadline or prize date. Ergo they don't have to reward anyone because they'll just claim the contest hasn't ended yet.

...seriously though. >> They need a deadline at least.

The show runs contests almost every week, so usually you need to submit prior to next week's show. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lyrielcrossfield
    lyrielcrossfield Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    xarfox wrote: »
    The show runs contests almost every week, so usually you need to submit prior to next week's show. :)

Alrighty. XD Kinda figured as much but it's better to have a source like you at least confirm my suspicion.
  • negative
    negative Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Well I finally decided to post for once and though this contest sounds very interesting since it asks for haiku's I believe rant time has finally come.
    This Contest is void outside the United States and in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, U.S. Military installations in foreign countries, all other U.S. territories and possessions, and wherever else restricted or prohibited by law.
    (Found from: http://www.g4tv.com/features/65136/G4s_Perfect_Haiku_Contest_Official_Rules.html)

I find this little snippet from their contest rules ludicrous. For god's sake the game's called Perfect World International, not Perfect World Exclusively for the U.S. because we're awesome and rule the world (no offense). I'd understand if it was outside of North America, but I'm from Canada--a country considered to be be part of North America and with quite the few close relations with the U.S through various systems. Does that make us totally alien to the western world? Looks like even a remote U.S military base is more important than an entire playerbase in a country right next to them. Hm--go figure.

Well I'm pretty sure PWI doesn't have as much control over this contest but I'd think they could talk to G4 a bit about this. Why on earth should G4 help out a game aimed at numerous countries and then suddenly limit it to only the U.S? Maybe because it's "convenient" but I honestly don't think it'd matter that considering it's only ZEN (something controlled entirely by PWI) and not an actual prize they mail to you.

Typical G4 I guess...shouldn't have expected much from them but when they pull over some control of a game (aka who gets an event reward) and then manipulate it with no basis as to why considering the situation (*cough* Perfect World INTERNATIONAL), it not only paints a bad image of themselves, but also of PWI for the less informed. Imagine, somebody actually wrote a good haiku but didn't read the contest policy. It may have been amazing in all respects but sorry, you're not from the U.S, GTFO. Wow.

Now perhaps that isn't the intentions of anyone, but wow does it ever look bad for a game reaching out to more than just the U.S (to a degree of course). I personally think the PWI staff could easily host this instead of G4 and then give whatever G4 wanted from the contest to them. Just a suggestion out of this rant, but I figure it's for the best and will greatly aid you in keeping up a good opening image for OB after a few issues arose from things like high ZEN prices and people not getting their ZEN even though they got to lvl 40 in CB.

/rant
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ultimusmagus
    ultimusmagus Posts: 33
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The G4 haiku contest is a way for sponsors (in this case PWE) to promote itself. G4 has had this contest running for many other games, with the same rules. The reason for the limited participation is that G4 is owned by Comcast Corporation, an American company, and I guess it felt that it would be easier to just allow those in the continental US to participate.

Yup, that's right. You misinterpreted the range of participation. Anyone living outside of the continental US, AND anyone residing in the aforementioned territories is void from participation. I've lived in some of those places and kept hitting that wall when trying to participate in a contest or claim a prize :mad:, so I'm familiar with the terminology. Although I suspect that if Hawaii and Alaska are serviced by Comcast they might still be eligible.
  • negative
    negative Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    The G4 haiku contest is a way for sponsors (in this case PWE) to promote itself. G4 has had this contest running for many other games, with the same rules. The reason for the limited participation is that G4 is owned by Comcast Corporation, an American company, and I guess it felt that it would be easier to just allow those in the continental US to participate.

Yup, that's right. You misinterpreted the range of participation. Anyone living outside of the continental US, AND anyone residing in the aforementioned territories is void from participation. I've lived in some of those places and kept hitting that wall when trying to participate in a contest or claim a prize :mad:, so I'm familiar with the terminology. Although I suspect that if Hawaii and Alaska are serviced by Comcast they might still be eligible.

Well I figured as much (mentioned it rather subtly in my original rant, but it was a rant nonetheless :rolleyes:). I certainly get the whole reasoning behind this although it did get me a little urked knowing that a game that reaches out to others besides the U.S. was constrained to this. I can definitely relate with ya though--I guess I had to vent a bit, although who knows, maybe poking at the issue can lead to some way of G4 changing its ways for this one particular case? (maybe too optimistic, seems too much of a privilege for PWI to say much) I do apologize though if anyone found that offensive as it was merely trying to focus on G4's "interesting" way of managing contests.

I figured something like this might happen though (which is why I made that post immediately after reading the terms) since it was G4 and it did seem a little too good to be true for PWI to have more control over this "unique event". That being said, I guess the least PWI could do to refrain from running into even more issues is actually saying that it is only for U.S. players in this thread since others could potentially ignore reading through those terms. Really communication is the key factor here, because it helps in not bringing players' hopes up only to fall crashing to the ground with mixed opinions of PWI's image and views upon holding balanced events.

Ah, that's life I suppose. Time to continue playing the friggen' game. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kinetikop
    kinetikop Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    You could always just pretend to be me, since I live in the U.S. and don't care about the contest and don't want the prize. ;) But on topic, this contest just seem's like a waist of time imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kyou
    kyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    kinetikop wrote: »
    You could always just pretend to be me, since I live in the U.S. and don't care about the contest and don't want the prize. ;) But on topic, this contest just seem's like a waist of time imo.

Makes sense it seem's to you like a waist of time.
    Haiku is not something everyone can do well.

Since they won't let us write it in Japanese, I'll skip it as well. Words English + haiku just doesn't seem right.
  • robb
    robb Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    negative wrote: »
    Well I finally decided to post for once and though this contest sounds very interesting since it asks for haiku's I believe rant time has finally come.

(Found from: http://www.g4tv.com/features/65136/G4s_Perfect_Haiku_Contest_Official_Rules.html)

I find this little snippet from their contest rules ludicrous. For god's sake the game's called Perfect World International, not Perfect World Exclusively for the U.S. because we're awesome and rule the world (no offense). I'd understand if it was outside of North America, but I'm from Canada--a country considered to be be part of North America and with quite the few close relations with the U.S through various systems. Does that make us totally alien to the western world? Looks like even a remote U.S military base is more important than an entire playerbase in a country right next to them. Hm--go figure.

Well I'm pretty sure PWI doesn't have as much control over this contest but I'd think they could talk to G4 a bit about this. Why on earth should G4 help out a game aimed at numerous countries and then suddenly limit it to only the U.S? Maybe because it's "convenient" but I honestly don't think it'd matter that considering it's only ZEN (something controlled entirely by PWI) and not an actual prize they mail to you.

Typical G4 I guess...shouldn't have expected much from them but when they pull over some control of a game (aka who gets an event reward) and then manipulate it with no basis as to why considering the situation (*cough* Perfect World INTERNATIONAL), it not only paints a bad image of themselves, but also of PWI for the less informed. Imagine, somebody actually wrote a good haiku but didn't read the contest policy. It may have been amazing in all respects but sorry, you're not from the U.S, GTFO. Wow.

Now perhaps that isn't the intentions of anyone, but wow does it ever look bad for a game reaching out to more than just the U.S (to a degree of course). I personally think the PWI staff could easily host this instead of G4 and then give whatever G4 wanted from the contest to them. Just a suggestion out of this rant, but I figure it's for the best and will greatly aid you in keeping up a good opening image for OB after a few issues arose from things like high ZEN prices and people not getting their ZEN even though they got to lvl 40 in CB.

/rant

this confirms my theory they are trying to get rid of the europeans...
    Robb.
  • danubus37
    danubus37 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Good ;)

You guys have a version coming out. Go play there.
  • severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    i want my prize >_>
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • fireblood
    fireblood Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Great just one question wtf is a haiku?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ultimusmagus
    ultimusmagus Posts: 33
    edited September 2008
    Options
    fireblood wrote: »
    Great just one question wtf is a haiku?

Wikipedia on Haiku
  • tres
    tres Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I thought mine was pretty witty now to wai and see =s
  • dayzd
    dayzd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    wtf is a haiku.

gg At a contest where I have to be a complete wee-a-boo to compete.
  • beans
    beans Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Finally, a chance to flex the old Haiku muscles! (/Flex /deflates) ... OK... TIME TO BUILD THE NEW HAIKU MUSCLES!

-The Pen Arte Mightier than the sword,
    Dr. Bean
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." ~Francis Meehan
  • puppetsoul
    puppetsoul Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    DOTA new version
    perfect balance
    ban lycan/meepo/cwg/furion/puck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beans
    beans Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    puppetsoul wrote: »
    DOTA new version
    perfect balance
    ban lycan/meepo/cwg/furion/puck

Let me first say, DoTA is the worst player mod in the creation of time because it has taken the beauty of Blizzard entertainment micromanagement and turned it into a base and meaningless pow-wow for souped up heroes, now the bases for a new game that is coming out called "Demigod" or something like that. Secondly.... Are you sure that you shouldn't post this somewhere else? Maybe.. off topic?

-Yours,
    Dr. Bean
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself." ~Francis Meehan
  • epic1337
    epic1337 Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I submitted mine :3 I hope to be 5k zen richer :D

Did you guys submit one? And does anyone know a drawing date?
  • puppetsoul
    puppetsoul Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    beans wrote: »
    Let me first say, DoTA is the worst player mod in the creation of time because it has taken the beauty of Blizzard entertainment micromanagement and turned it into a base and meaningless pow-wow for souped up heroes, now the bases for a new game that is coming out called "Demigod" or something like that. Secondly.... Are you sure that you shouldn't post this somewhere else? Maybe.. off topic?

-Yours,
    Dr. Bean

Let me first say, you clearly have neither read the first post nor have you watched the G4TV link; therefore, your opinion is invalid and your post makes you look like a dumbass.

-GGKTHNXBAI,
    Reader Rabbit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • epic1337
    edited September 2008
    Options
    xarfox

Can you please help me? I screwed up. I'll try to pm you.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Haikus are so cool.
    But sometimes they make no sense.
    Refrigerator.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • epic1337
    edited September 2008
    Options
    senovit wrote: »
    haikus Are So Cool.
    But Sometimes They Make No Sense.
    Refrigerator.

Lolwtftbbq
  • ajairisu
    ajairisu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Submitted my humble haiku as well, hope i can get a glimpse of the 5k Zen :)
  • epic1337
    edited September 2008
    Options
    So no one knows the cut-off date?
  • Katryn - Heavens Tear
    Katryn - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    looks like cut off has happened.. now to wait and see if anyone finds out if they've won.. or preferably if we can see what the willing haku's are.
  • Epic - Lost City
    Epic - Lost City Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Sweet, it has, cmon 5k zen!
  • Tres - Lost City
    Tres - Lost City Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Has anyone recieved an e-mail as of yet? =s The show airs today =o
    Previous Character: Tres_Iqus 95 MG
    Current Character: Tres Cleric (See level above)
    Conqueror