RP Feasibility

tdreamer
tdreamer Posts: 18 Arc User
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
This thread can probably only end in tears, but I'll give it a shot. :)

Anyways, a friend and I have been discussing the feasibility of an RP guild on Heaven's Tear. The game is just bursting with RP potential (emote-heaven, embraces, chat bubbles), but I've certainly not seen anybody actually RPing yet. Obviously we would need some sort of unifying objective to make the concept run smoothly, but I'm not entirely convinced the concept would fly due to two main reasons:

1.) Maybe I've not been looking in the right places, but I've not really seen much interest in RP in any of the free or Asian MMOs that I've tried over the years. Not to say it isn't there, but rather, if it is, it's hiding rather well.

2.) The "OMG RP IZ TEH GHEY NUB" factor. Free-to-play MMOs tend to have a younger playerbase than the paid variety (though not a huge difference), and as such the maturity level has many ups and downs. The RP would need to be restricted almost entirely entirely to in-guild chat in order to avoid the kiddies who don't understand that sometimes adults like to make-believe, too. :)

Feedback?
Post edited by tdreamer on

Comments

• kinetikop
    kinetikop Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I don't see why an RP guild couldn't survive. If you could find the people who would be willing to RP with you, its a great idea. I am not one for RPing but that doesn't mean it isn't a great idea. Good luck, hope you can find the players to get an RP guild started.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lurkerx
    lurkerx Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    tdreamer wrote: »
    2.) The "OMG RP IZ TEH GHEY NUB" factor.
    Feedback?

I get this, because I tend to stay in character all the time, even when it's obviouis that nobody near me is. Sometimes it draws others into roleplaying who otherwise would have just stayed quiet. ^_^
  • ejaudare
    ejaudare Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I just posted a similar thing here!

Yes, I think an RP guild could be AMAZING!
    This game is set up WONDERFULLY for Roleplaying and -I- for one ,along with the friends I have joining as well, intend to RP like crazy if only amongst yourselves.

Friend Blaiyr if you ever want to RP. =]
  • puppetsoul
    puppetsoul Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    1.) Maybe I've not been looking in the right places, but I've not really seen much interest in RP in any of the free or Asian MMOs that I've tried over the years. Not to say it isn't there, but rather, if it is, it's hiding rather well.

Correction: you haven't seen much interest in roleplaying in ANY MMO. The reason you see "less" of it in asian/free MMOs is because they don't make dedicated servers for it. Realize that 9 of every 10 WoW servers are "Normal", and that even still the RP servers are basically deserted, and that of those who are actually on them, a good percentage are "lolhamburger" RPer griefers.
    2.) The "OMG RP IZ TEH GHEY NUB" factor. Free-to-play MMOs tend to have a younger playerbase than the paid variety (though not a huge difference), and as such the maturity level has many ups and downs. The RP would need to be restricted almost entirely entirely to in-guild chat in order to avoid the kiddies who don't understand that sometimes adults like to make-believe, too. :)

Most RPers are late teens, and I would rate their maturity level somewhere around a toddler's (OMG HE WENT OOC!! HE'S RUINING MY IMMERSION!! BAN HIM NAAAAAAOOOOOO!!!111eleventy1!). Just... you know... FYI...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jailbreak
    jailbreak Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    A rp guild is a great idea ! if you're starting one i'm interested. Please contact me if you have the project to start one. Call Elwindra in game.
  • ranthe
    ranthe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Actually I'm starting an RP guild on Heaven's Tear as soon as i can motivate my lazy butt to get to level 20. The name will be FlamesOfEternity if it'll fit, or just EternalFlame if it doesnt.

If you want in add me to your list in game, I'm usually on Fenrisulfr.

(BTW, the Flame in the guild name doesn't mean forum-style flame, it means something long lasting and fierce, like a large fire :D)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drayakir
    drayakir Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I'm definitely down for RP, and I stay in character- bowing when I meet a person, etc. Also, our Faction "Armagedon," has a lot of mature people, and the teenagers amongst us are also really cool. We had one bad apple, but he was kicked. = D So, I'm sure I'll bring them around to RP in no time!
  • tolan
    tolan Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I'll be RPing when I get on all the time, unless I'm talking with someone blatantly OOC. I don't have many friends on here, but I think there's one... I need to see if I can track him down. But then, he's not into RP, that I'm know of... Hm. We'll see.

I'd be interested in an RP Guild. Given that it had agreeable manners of conduct.

-Tolan
    I'm a Christian looking for a clean experience in a free MMO. No, I'm not crazy.
  • rukuro
    rukuro Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I'd love to join a roleplay guild. I'm glad MMO roleplays still exist actually. xD
  • thaneth
    thaneth Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I'd be down for an RP guild. You can hit me up in game as Thaneth. Looking forward to it.
  • cupider
    cupider Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Roleplayed many different characters on the game Neverwinter Nights, and have been looking for such a guild here on PW. Character name - Genie (And yes. I look like a genie.. except with legs. :D
  • teesh
    teesh Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    This thread can probably only end in tears, but I'll give it a shot. :)

Anyways, a friend and I have been discussing the feasibility of an RP guild on Heaven's Tear. The game is just bursting with RP potential (emote-heaven, embraces, chat bubbles), but I've certainly not seen anybody actually RPing yet. Obviously we would need some sort of unifying objective to make the concept run smoothly, but I'm not entirely convinced the concept would fly due to two main reasons:

Feedback?

Like a few others have stated here, I'm a roleplayer and would be keenly interested in a RP guild for the reasons you mentioned. This game is overflowing with RP potential. To address your points here is my take on each one:

I have yet to see any F2P Asian MMO's with any kind of RP servers or RP tools. That however doesn't mean you can't RP anyway. Until recently I was very active in City of Heroes, and with no RP servers, tools or GM support it has a very lively and thriving RP community on at least one server. The RPers basically took it upon themselves to make an "unofficial" RP server and a few unwritten rules that most of the RPers abide by. So it can be done without support from the company hosting the game. With only 2 servers, the roleplayers are likely to already be concentrated on Heaven's Tear, which makes things a little easier.

Yep. RP griefers are sadly the norm EVERYWHERE. Even in games where the GMs support RP and there are RP servers and tools. You won't be able to escape them or avoid them in any MMO. The best you can do is ignore them, either in the general 'just don't pay attention' sense or in the more literal 'blacklist' way. In either case, RPers have to learn to be thick skinned and stand together. Myself I treat the griefers exactly as I would gold spammers/sellers -- Which is to say I shrug and ignore it, and use /ignore or blacklist commands if they follow me and/or persist after I've left the area,

---

Now all that being said, I would REALLY like to see a RP guild happen here. If for no other reason all of us RPers should stick together for mutual support. If it does go forward, please contact me and I will be happy to join and/or help out as I am able.

My main character is Lilith but I would like to get contacted here as I haven't been PW as much lately due to the cash shop situation. Once its resolved I'll be available much more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranthe
    ranthe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    teesh, my guild still has some open slots in it. neither of the names i said before fit, so i went with Deathless as the guild name

My character in game that leads the guild is Fenrisulfr.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jalena
    jalena Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I would enjoy RPing, too! I have a few characters, but none have struck me as a favorite yet. You can PM me here if you get your guild started. I'd love to join.
    Open Beta
    Jalena | Level 16 Jadeon

=========================

Closed Beta
    Helena | Level 33 Jadeon
    Abandon | Level 18 Vim
    (Plus a few others who barely got to go do anything on account of my unabashed favoritism for Helena.)
  • Calliope - Heavens Tear
    Calliope - Heavens Tear Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I might want to give this a try. I'll /whisper you ingame about it.
  • Rivenloch - Lost City
    Rivenloch - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I would definately be interested. I havent seen an MMO with the tools to pull off really good RP like this since the early days of SWG with 150+ emotes lol. Let me know what server you will be on and ill make a char. there, if diff. then what my toon is on now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seps
    seps Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Greetings everyone!

I would greatly aprove this Roleplay Guild Creation.

I'm personally a big roleplay fan, been playing mmorpg since the ultima online days, and many times i did hardcore roleplay.

Sum of all, count me in if you decide to go with this ahead, i'm Seps ingame, and i would really love to be a part of this experience.

cheers.
  • xansteel
    xansteel Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I would love this, as I RP in game all the time. I find it enjoyable.

Xan Steel
  • shieldbearer
    shieldbearer Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Finally!I have found the heavy RP base! Been wondering where it was. Count me in on this too! Named Jadeen on the Heavens tear server. Still fairly new to the game so need to learn a lot still, but pride myself on rp skill. ^.^ Send me a line so I have a purpose here please *clings to leaders leg*
  • Adaira - Lost City
    Adaira - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I would absolutely love to join an RP guild. Are there any RPers in Lost City?
  • pro91
    pro91 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I would just like to relate an experience I've had with the RP on Heaven's Tear.

While sitting there, whacking anything within arms reach, I read in the world chat, "RP guild looking for members". With an uncharacteristic girlish squeal, I immediatly asked the guild to let me join, and they did! I performed my standard greeting to the guild, stroking of leaders ego, etc.
    No more than 5 seconds later a guild member pulls the caps lock out and says "MORE WENCHES NOW!!!!"
    Naturally, I sat back and laughed, waiting for a flame fest to ensue. But no, I was disheartened to see 3 more children agree with the wenches statement. Deciding to believe that there was a small clique of 12 year old boys getting their kicks from cyber, I was willing to let it slide. Bot, lo and behold, a girl pipes up that she is feeling rather "wench-y" and is willing to do whatever they wanted.

I did the next logical thing and whispered the guild leader about it.
    me: "Are you actually letting this slide?"
    gl: "It's their decision on how to RP"
    me: "Yeah, but it's a little degrading to women and really immature"
    gl: "Well, we need the members"

Well, I promptly aquainted myself with how to leave clans.

Don't misunderstand me and think that I am against an RP guild, but with the caliber of RP that I have seen, I am more than skeptical to say the least. If a group of people were able to raise the maturity bar and perhaps have the ba11s to enforce some decency, I think the RP experience on this server would be fantastic.

Just my 2gold.
  • Chi_gokai - Lost City
    Chi_gokai - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    i'd totally join an rp guild
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chi_gokai - Lost City
    Chi_gokai - Lost City Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    pleeease mail me when you get this going <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Voiceoflight - Heavens Tear
    Voiceoflight - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Deffiantly interested in this, give me a whisper when you get it started. I will most likely be on this alt.
  • Poison - Heavens Tear
    Poison - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,444 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    pro91 wrote: »
    I would just like to relate an experience I've had with the RP on Heaven's Tear.

While sitting there, whacking anything within arms reach, I read in the world chat, "RP guild looking for members". With an uncharacteristic girlish squeal, I immediatly asked the guild to let me join, and they did! I performed my standard greeting to the guild, stroking of leaders ego, etc.
    No more than 5 seconds later a guild member pulls the caps lock out and says "MORE WENCHES NOW!!!!"
    Naturally, I sat back and laughed, waiting for a flame fest to ensue. But no, I was disheartened to see 3 more children agree with the wenches statement. Deciding to believe that there was a small clique of 12 year old boys getting their kicks from cyber, I was willing to let it slide. Bot, lo and behold, a girl pipes up that she is feeling rather "wench-y" and is willing to do whatever they wanted.

I did the next logical thing and whispered the guild leader about it.
    me: "Are you actually letting this slide?"
    gl: "It's their decision on how to RP"
    me: "Yeah, but it's a little degrading to women and really immature"
    gl: "Well, we need the members"

Well, I promptly aquainted myself with how to leave clans.

Don't misunderstand me and think that I am against an RP guild, but with the caliber of RP that I have seen, I am more than skeptical to say the least. If a group of people were able to raise the maturity bar and perhaps have the ba11s to enforce some decency, I think the RP experience on this server would be fantastic.

Just my 2gold.

Sounds like we ended up in the same place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaylee8
    kaylee8 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Oh, I would love to join an RP guild! I've never tried it before in an MMO, but I used to get very into my characters in single-player games.

My IGN: Brightleaf