Overpopulation

Options
blublo
blublo Posts: 13 Arc User
edited November 2008 in Archer
I was just curious if this class was overplayed, and by overplayed, I mean that if I were to walk into a town there would be like 5 archers to every 1 of the other character classes :confused:
Post edited by blublo on

Comments

• ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Nope. It''s more like 2 of these to 1 of most others. Clerics also have a number lead, for some reason...

... I wonder. The numbers might change once the game goes to OB, because Archers and Clerics aren't easy to play. Flying from level 1 doesn't matter after 30, and they're both expensive classes.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • acrimony
    acrimony Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I don't think any one class is truly overpopulated (except the Venomancers, but then again, why wouldn't everyone have one?...) and dont worry you'll be wanted for parties.... hell anyone willing to waste (erhum I mean use not waste!) hieros is generally welcome to parties (except the V's!!) so no sweat!
  • hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well, they will be overpopulated in comparison with Wizards and Barbarians. So will be Clerics and Venos.
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Archers are the most overplayed class, which is the main reason I won't be rolling one this time around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • matthew
    matthew Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Venomancer is the most populated. Clerics, archers, and blademasters are about even. The least played are barbarian and wizard.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I actually see a lot of blademasters too :S. Most played classes to me seem to be venomancers and blademasters, followed by archers, then clerics, then barbarians, and finally wizards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Archers are more populated as main characters than werefoxes. There are more werefoxes made because people roll them as alts to farm for their expensive archers.

RQ has almost twice as many archers as other classes, for example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Actually, in my guild, Archers are twice as common as Venos. Venos are tied with Blademasters for the title of "least played class".... a definite switch from the MY version.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • acrimony
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I bet you 1 Zen (that's what they're calling the cash-shop... cash right?) that 6 months into the game the VMancers are going to be the most played :)
  • hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well, Venos will become VERY common if they start being invited as lurers for zhen parties.
  • aland
    aland Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    LOL how are archers more expensive than other classes? Archers are the cheapest class to play after venomancers, except if u go zhen parties.
    They wear equips that's pretty much unique to their class = low cost, arrow costs? LOL they are like nothing at high lvls. Nil armor fix costs, no hp potion costs, only mana.

It's common to see alot of archers wear gold armor after lv 40 or so; expensive to play? i think not

Archers will be over played simply because of how easy this char is to play once u get to a higher lvl and how awesome this char is. No one should be worried about werebeasts. After the game starts for 6 months or so, alot of ppl will be re rolling for a werebeast/barbarian, for obvious reasons once u play to high lvl.
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    Options
    aland wrote: »
    LOL how are archers more expensive than other classes? Archers are the cheapest class to play after venomancers, except if u go zhen parties.
    They wear equips that's pretty much unique to their class = low cost, arrow costs? LOL they are like nothing at high lvls. Nil armor fix costs, no hp potion costs, only mana.

It's common to see alot of archers wear gold armor after lv 40 or so; expensive to play? i think not

Archers will be over played simply because of how easy this char is to play once u get to a higher lvl and how awesome this char is. No one should be worried about werebeasts. After the game starts for 6 months or so, alot of ppl will be re rolling for a werebeast/barbarian, for obvious reasons once u play to high lvl.

Spirit Heirograms.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • dutchboy
    dutchboy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    i am going to be an archer
    [SIGPIC]C:\Users\daniel\Pictures\the perfect archer.gif[/SIGPIC]
    [SIGPIC]C:\Users\daniel\Pictures\the perfect archer.gif[/SIGPIC]
  • acrimony
    edited August 2008
    Options

Well actually having to buy arrows/bolts/bullets all the time is a money sink, as is the need to use mana potions (unless you're willing to not use skills, thus take shed-loads of damage and use health potions, or sit down and recover mana and take ages to level).

Nil armor fix costs? Perhaps after 49, with good gear.
    Which they buy with the money produced by one of their money making characters perhaps? (not to mention this "cheapness" is NOT going to happen for a good 3 - 6 months)
    So the character is awesome yet people will be re-rolling to barbarian eh? Interesting choice of words!

I will agree with the over-population issue tho... I think we shall be seeing 70%+ archers in the CB, but I expect that population to drop sharply once the OB starts.
  • mas
    mas Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Pure dex Archer is all I know in PW. I want to venture out and perhaps will use the CB to experiment with other classes. From the looks of the forums archers seem to be the class of choice amongst many, but I think inexperienced Archers with ambitions of becoming PVP legends are in for a rude awakening. Granted when we get the drop on most classes it's very likely we'll be successful, but a pure dex Archer isn't as unstoppable as many seem to think.

I was pretty good and leveled to the mid 70's (Could have gotten 89+, but summer was creeping around the corner and I had a packed schedule...besides who wants to stay in the house in front of a pc all summer?). I did my share of pwning, but also got pwned well. Anyway we'll probably see a ton of Archers in CB and OB, but things will even out when people realize that every class has pros and cons (also from the jump many will play other classes anyway). Players (the majority being sore losers) will profess that equips are what separate the winners from losers, but in reality it's a combination of skill sets, actuall player skill, and equips. So if you build a pure dex Archer with a solid pvp skill set you won't be unstoppable; you'll just deal a lot of damage. At level 89+ you'll be a force to be reckoned with, but with a solid build everyone else will be too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    いっしょにヴェスパでとうきょうにいきましょうか?
  • aland
    edited August 2008
    Options
    acrimony wrote: »
    Well actually having to buy arrows/bolts/bullets all the time is a money sink, as is the need to use mana potions (unless you're willing to not use skills, thus take shed-loads of damage and use health potions, or sit down and recover mana and take ages to level).

Nil armor fix costs? Perhaps after 49, with good gear.

Which they buy with the money produced by one of their money making characters perhaps? (not to mention this "cheapness" is NOT going to happen for a good 3 - 6 months)

So the character is awesome yet people will be re-rolling to barbarian eh? Interesting choice of words!

I will agree with the over-population issue tho... I think we shall be seeing 70%+ archers in the CB, but I expect that population to drop sharply once the OB starts.
    arrows, bolts, pellets are a joke in terms of price once u hit lv 30ish. This does not EVEN need to be mentioned if u want to discuss about costs. Yes u will need blue potions, but compared to other class who will need BOTH blue and red potions.. hm.. is this too hard to work out for u?

Yes the cheap gold armors and other equips won't be cheap in the first few weeks, but it WILL become cheaper because no other class wear light armor. (so u r arguing here for the sake of game during the first few weeks? you logic fail, u need to look at the whole picture of the class, not during first few weeks of day release and not first few lvl of char)

What i meant in the last bit is that, archers will be overplayed because it is a good char. the thing about werebeasts are responding to previous posts, when someone was worried that the number of werebeasts will be low, i just said it won't b the case because alot of ppl (not ONLY ppl playing archers, also ppl from OTHER classes), will re roll to werebeasts because of it's awesomeness at high lvl.

It's only normal when a game is released, ppl go for characters that seem to be easier to lvl, because alot of ppl want or try to be highest lvl at the beginning, as the time goes on, the competitiveness for level reduce, and ppl go for classes that are actually useful.
  • faruxue
    faruxue Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Many people wear light armors, light armor mg/ep/wfs and not to mention overpopulation of EAs(and some fist wrs who wants to be different).
    Light armor would have to be the most popular armor because anyone can wear them and use them effectively(not beasts of course).
    ULTIMATE TOPIC:
    See 3 RQ get owned by 1 WB
    copy and paste onto your web link
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=33421
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    Options
    arrows, bolts, pellets are a joke in terms of price once u hit lv 30ish. This does not EVEN need to be mentioned if u want to discuss about costs. Yes u will need blue potions, but compared to other class who will need BOTH blue and red potions.. hm.. is this too hard to work out for u?
    Arrows become a cause for concern later on. Unless you use cheap-o cruddy arrows that give you next to no additonal damage for next to no additional cost. Archers need both red and blue potions as they can't take hits, and their mana drains like mad. I trained an archer... probably farther than you trained yours. I know.

Yes the cheap gold armors and other equips won't be cheap in the first few weeks, but it WILL become cheaper because no other class wear light armor. (so u r arguing here for the sake of game during the first few weeks? you logic fail, u need to look at the whole picture of the class, not during first few weeks of day release and not first few lvl of char)
    Yeah. Clerics, Wizards and Venomancers don't wear light armour. Ever. Please read on alternate builds... Archers aren't alone in light armour. Light armour is the most popular type of armour.

What i meant in the last bit is that, archers will be overplayed because it is a good char. the thing about werebeasts are responding to previous posts, when someone was worried that the number of werebeasts will be low, i just said it won't b the case because alot of ppl (not ONLY ppl playing archers, also ppl from OTHER classes), will re roll to werebeasts because of it's awesomeness at high lvl.
    Actually, they'll re-roll to Barbs because they realize the demand is so high for them that they can monopolize on the guild's HH parties. Though, the population of re-rollers will be very low.

It's only normal when a game is released, ppl go for characters that seem to be easier to lvl, because alot of ppl want or try to be highest lvl at the beginning, as the time goes on, the competitiveness for level reduce, and ppl go for classes that are actually useful.
    Actually, it's my belief that wings and PK ability make Archers popular. Not their fast levelling. Archers are very useful... getting the Barb and Blademaster ultimate weapons is only possible with a 9x Archer, or an insane100+ crew. Plus, an Archer's sharptooth makes bosses go by much quicker.

As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • embl3m
    embl3m Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ark, unless you're PKing your not supposed to use the best arrows possible because it only adds about 40 damage at 15x the cost.
  • kaeriin
    kaeriin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ughhh... Arrows arent expensive in the long run, by the time you get a better set of arrows the price they cost is meaningless, sell 3 DQ items and you got the money of 1000 arrows back, how is that expensive? Seriously

And what the hell is that about archers not using health pots? Archers are the class that used the most pots for me so far, both mana and health, its insane! Clerics have healing, Blademasters have diamond sutra, Venos dont even get hit, Mages also have a healing skill, so Archers are hand to hand with Barbarians in pot usage, except at least Barbarians have much higher defense

Unless you enjoy wasting 45 vigor every fight to use Wing Barrier

I still dont get why Archers are so popular honestly... The only 2 amazing things about them are the high crits and sharptooth arrow, nothing else

They hit slower than a Blademaster, they do about the same dmg
    They have lower defense
    They have lower life
    They get a stupid half dmg penalty at close range
    Their only good AOE skill is a hiero burner

... How is this a kickass class again?
  • skuallpw
    skuallpw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kaeriin wrote: »
    ughhh... Arrows Arent Expensive In The Long Run, By The Time You Get A Better Set Of Arrows The Price They Cost Is Meaningless, Sell 3 Dq Items And You Got The Money Of 1000 Arrows Back, How Is That Expensive? Seriously

And What The Hell Is That About Archers Not Using Health Pots? Archers Are The Class That Used The Most Pots For Me So Far, Both Mana And Health, Its Insane! Clerics Have Healing, Blademasters Have Diamond Sutra, Venos Dont Even Get Hit, Mages Also Have A Healing Skill, So Archers Are Hand To Hand With Barbarians In Pot Usage, Except At Least Barbarians Have Much Higher Defense

Unless You Enjoy Wasting 45 Vigor Every Fight To Use Wing Barrier

I Still Dont Get Why Archers Are So Popular Honestly... The Only 2 Amazing Things About Them Are The High Crits And Sharptooth Arrow, Nothing Else

They Hit Slower Than A Blademaster, They Do About The Same Dmg
    They Have Lower Defense
    They Have Lower Life
    They Get A Stupid Half Dmg Penalty At Close Range
    Their Only Good Aoe Skill Is A Hiero Burner

... How Is This A Kickass Class Again?

Elf + Bow + Wings .....
  • kaeriin
    kaeriin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You do half dmg when hitting ground monsters from the air, and they regen to full life 5 seconds after you being up
  • aland
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ark wrote: »
    Ark, seriously.. u r gonna argue that bolts, arrows, pellets are expensive?? SERIOUSLY???
    God i am so tired of arguing with ppl who pretend they know things. It is okay to not know things! ppl blame u less that way.

Yes there are alternative builds and ppl can wear light armor, but SERIOUSLY!! how many ppl are doing that? you are arguing that 1 out of 400 ppl or so will do alternative build and add an slight amount of ppl who actually will be needing light armor?? sorry but ur argument really is pointless.

The population who re-roll for werebeasts won't b low once the game progress on. I am not saying the archers will re-roll werebeasts, but there are other classes who will. The number of werebeasts noticiably gets higher later lvl

the last bit, is really just ur belief. Why do u think ppl are so eager to start the game ASAP? because they want to play archer for it's PKing abilities??? (note keyword ASAP), because they want to be the fastest lvling. As game progress, this again changes. Ppl re-roll to characters that they will enjoy playing, not for the purpose of lvling. (so i still see ur argument as completely pointless)
  • devotion
    devotion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ark, seriously.. u r gonna argue that bolts, arrows, pellets are expensive?? SERIOUSLY???
    Arrows can be expensive depending on how much money you have. 40k for 1000 of the best arrows isnt a huge cost but seeing as you can drain 1k arrows very quickly it can add up along with other things. Note you can stick with crappy arrows but if you want to add damage might as well start with the ammo.
    Yes there are alternative builds and ppl can wear light armor, but SERIOUSLY!! how many ppl are doing that? you are arguing that 1 out of 400 ppl or so will do alternative build and add an slight amount of ppl who actually will be needing light armor?? sorry but ur argument really is pointless.
    Im very certain more than 1 in 400 people switch to light armor. Many magic based classes switch to light armor later on because it is flexible in PvP.
    the last bit, is really just ur belief. Why do u think ppl are so eager to start the game ASAP? because they want to play archer for it's PKing abilities??? (note keyword ASAP), because they want to be the fastest lvling. As game progress, this again changes. Ppl re-roll to characters that they will enjoy playing, not for the purpose of lvling. (so i still see ur argument as completely pointless)

Um im not sure if you have played an archer before but you can level very fast with them once you are past 20. From then on it just gets easier.
    I like to rub it in. Enjoying the game?
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1810092&postcount=6
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3518732&postcount=17
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3986762&postcount=6
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aland
    edited August 2008
    Options
    devotion wrote: »
    Arrows can be expensive depending on how much money you have. 40k for 1000 of the best arrows isnt a huge cost but seeing as you can drain 1k arrows very quickly it can add up along with other things. Note you can stick with crappy arrows but if you want to add damage might as well start with the ammo.

Im very certain more than 1 in 400 people switch to light armor. Many magic based classes switch to light armor later on because it is flexible in PvP.

Um im not sure if you have played an archer before but you can level very fast with them once you are past 20. From then on it just gets easier.
    1st point, not going to argue with u anymore. NO ONE ever use the highest lvl arrows/bolts/pellet ALL the time. If u want to waste money like that, u need to (question ur own intelligence.)

2. when did I say that archers dont' wear light armor? I am saying all the archers wear light armor and not many ppl from other classes will. You are certain more than 1 in 400? I am certain it will be LESS than. Why? because for magic users wearing arcane armor is good for them, they have high magic resistance, and if they fight magic mobs it's very easy for them. (learn to play the game)

LOL when did I say archer's don't lvl fast? I've been saying archers lvl very fast all the way. (learn to read plz)

And to Kaerlin, archers do about the same damage as blademasters yeah in the long run. (only if blademasters do a very high str build), but u r forgetting that archers have way higher crit % than blademasters. The damage coming from archers are not that of their skills or normal attack, it's their ability to do critical damage regularly.
  • akassa
    akassa Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I think veno and blademaster are the most played classes, then archers... and yes wizards are the less around.
    Thara - Level 32 - Venomancer - Lost City Server
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    akassa wrote: »
    I think veno and blademaster are the most played classes, then archers... and yes wizards are the less around.

Wouldn't you say 70+ there begins to be a lot less veno's running around?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • virii
    virii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Yeah, I am sick of seeing so many archers around, but I kind of figure a lot of people were going to be a archer because some people claim they are like the "ultimate" pking class. When I was on Oracle server, I would only see like one of them out of twenty characters.

I never had a high level archer, but from my preference at one to forty-six, they don't really use HP pots because by the time normal mobs reached me, they would be dead. Only time that I used HP pots was when fighting minibosses.

Buying ammunition is only a pain at the early stages. You can even buy the highest level ammunition and probably be able to pay it off with the DQs from using the arrows to kill mobs.

These are few of the reasons why I play as an archer.

I always played as an archer for first/main character in every game I played.
    I think bows/crossbows, armours and skills looks cool.
    They don't seem to be too dependent.
    Never got high level to experience it fully, or majority of the archer class in Perfect World.
  • c453m4573r
    c453m4573r Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It's weird how everyone has a totally different opinion, but they are all so one way about it. Like their way is the only way that works or something.
  • silverwingz
    silverwingz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Yes, that is very interesting... By the way I like being a wizard so far. It can be a very good class if you have friends to party with. They can go up close while you go in the back and do some powerful spells then Taada "Monster Kiled"!:) THe wizard is then also a good class but this might not bee seen often thus less wizards are around.