Complete Newbie Questions

Options
zantoryu
zantoryu Posts: 17 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Dungeons & Tactics
I keep seeing people mention different builds for abilities; can you respecify your capabilities, or can you do anything but it takes more time and/or money to get all the skills, or do you just pick something and then you're stuck with it, good or bad?

What's the standard group size, and who is in the group? What about raids? At what levels do you start doing dungeons and raids? Do most places have special gimmicks in the fights, or are bosses generally tanknspanK?

What are the stats and how do they affect your character?

Is it possible to make, say, a blademaster in light armor or whatever who exists purely to pump out massive damage in PvE, or do you need survivability even for PvE? Can BMs or Veno pets tank effectively? Can you, say, do good damage with a cleric? Can non-clerics heal decently?

What classes level faster and slower?

And I ask again- can you change your builds, or are you stuck with your choices?

---

I'm just really curious about this game in general.. Long-time World of Warcraft player, played a whole bunch of other MMOs, looking for a second MMO to play when I don't want to play WoW (which is relatively frequently now, since leveling isn't really fun, and there are generally set times for raids or playing with my family).

Sorry for being a total noob here.
Post edited by zantoryu on

Comments

• spel
    spel Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I wonder the same things :D. Also, about professions in PW. Is there some kind of penalty of having all 4? Should you only focus on 1? About Spirit points as well, is it worth saving them up for something later or just spend them on new skills as they come?

EDIT: Oh and how can you see if a monster is aggressive or not?
  • zantoryu
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Could somebody please answer? I'm just having a hard time figuring out what the game even *is.*
  • c453m4573r
    c453m4573r Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    HERE WE GO!
    zantoryu wrote: »
    I keep seeing people mention different builds for abilities; can you respecify your capabilities, or can you do anything but it takes more time and/or money to get all the skills, or do you just pick something and then you're stuck with it, good or bad?

With some payed for money (ZEN) you can reset your stats, but skills don't have a reset item yet.
    When you get your character to a very high level, you will eventually be able to max all skills. But as for the beginning, you can't. There will be important skills you have to focus on more than others in the beginning. The one problem with the game is that most the time, the cookie cutter builds are the most successful. Although, hybrids in this game can rock.
    What's the standard group size, and who is in the group? What about raids? At what levels do you start doing dungeons and raids? Do most places have special gimmicks in the fights, or are bosses generally tanknspanK?

I honestly forgot or don't know much about this topic. But generally, a dungeon party will always need barbarian for the best tank, and a venomancer wouldn't hurt for luring. Overall dungeon starting, you will get dungeon quests called "iron tablets" that you will receive at level 19-29-39-you get the picture. Anyway, those quests are very important if you want to move further in the game. As for hunting in dungeons, you will start around level 50 or so doing molder runs. And at level 65+, you'll be going holyhall. Those huntings will make you very prosperous, but I honestly don't know too much about it.
    What are the stats and how do they affect your character?

You probably know the drill with stats in most games. But if you don't, I'll specify:
    there are four stats, and you get five stat points per level.

STR: Strength - increases physical attack and physical defenes
    DEX: Dexterity - increases dodge, critical hit rate (20 DEX=1% extra crit) and attack if you are an archer
    MAG: magical - increases magical attack, magical defense, and also gives you more maximum mana points (MP)
    VIT: Vitality - increases HP and both defenses (but not as much as STR and MAG do)

stats are crucial for all equipment except for jewelery. So if you want to get highest rank for certain equipments, make sure to see the blacksmith and tailor to find the stat requirements
    for the next few accouterments.
    Is it possible to make, say, a blademaster in light armor or whatever who exists purely to pump out massive damage in PvE, or do you need survivability even for PvE? Can BMs or Veno pets tank effectively? Can you, say, do good damage with a cleric? Can non-clerics heal decently?

Since you aren't range, you will need some survivability. If you wanted to go for a high damage build, you would need heavy armor and axe/hammers. Or you could go for a ninja build with high DEX, light armor and fists. You'll have great dodge and crit but your damage will suffer a bit. Or you could go for a blade hybrid between the two, with DEX higher than STR, but enough STR for a weapon and 30-40 VIT. That build could use light armor at the highest rank or heavy armor a rank or two under, and they'd use blade swords. With that build, you will have good dodge/crit/damage. Like most hybrids it's a jack of all trades, not a king of one... BMs can tank ok but if you want a real tanker, get a barbarian. And yes, the veno gets this pet at level 17 called molten lava crystal with high tanking capabilities, but Barbarian is still better tanker. Clerics do good damage if you have high MAG and the magic attack skills. They're actually a desired class for PK. They wear robes for magic defense, but I'd recommend light armor if you plan to use the cleric for PVP.

Most classes in PW are made so they could level better in a party, when in a party, all classes can level the same. In solo, the venomancer is your best choice. Although, you will have some trouble solo leveling them in later levels (60+).
    And I ask again- can you change your builds, or are you stuck with your choices?

And again I answer, you can buy restats from the cash shop, but if you don't want to use actual money, you could wait until level 50+ and make some ingame money to buy them, but if you have a build so bad, you need restats, you probably wouldn't make it to level 50. So you will most likely be stuck with the choices, so you should find a build that suits your playing style as well as a build that suits requirements for a successful character.

I'm just really curious about this game in general.. Long-time World of Warcraft player, played a whole bunch of other MMOs, looking for a second MMO to play when I don't want to play WoW (which is relatively frequently now, since leveling isn't really fun, and there are generally set times for raids or playing with my family).

Sorry for being a total noob here.

Perfect World is a great game. You will have fun experience with this game, although, to let you know, leveling is about the same here too, but the quests don't make it seem as boring. And you normally get about three or so new quests per level.

We were all a noob at one time. I'm just glad I could help. :D
  • khaai
    khaai Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    hi zantoryu, i can't answer all the questions, but i hope this helps.
    Can BMs or Veno pets tank effectively?

Some pets are better tanks, while others not, I think it depends on the pet. As far as I know BB is the best choice for tank, better than BM, that's what I've heard.
    Can you, say, do good damage with a cleric?

Yes, you can!! Strong magic skills, but low HP and phys defence. If you are cleric you definitely need hierogram (charm), while VM can do w/o one.
    Can non-clerics heal decently?

Non-clerics can heal themselves only and not other people. Don't know for the others but I think all class has a tiny heal skill, which recovers 30% of HP. For example VM's heal skill has cooldown 3 mins, if I'm not mistaken. For cleric is 1 second :D

The fastest lvler is VM, not sure about the slowest... prolly BM / Cleric... :confused:

Yes you can, but it requires item mall item, you can restart all your attribute points and make completely new build. :p And it's as many times as you want. ^^ Hope this helps :D
  • khaai
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Oops... someone was faster than me :D:D

Anyways, I can answer to spel ;)
    spel wrote: »
    about professions in PW. Is there some kind of penalty of having all 4? Should you only focus on 1? About Spirit points as well, is it worth saving them up for something later or just spend them on new skills as they come?

EDIT: Oh and how can you see if a monster is aggressive or not?

There is no penalty for having all professions, but it will be very money and time-consuming to keep up with all 4... But in no case impossible. I have reached lvl 4 of all at PW MY. :p Probably most people focus on 1 (or none), but I like to have all 4. The one I like the most is pharmacist. Having a priest char with light armor, the usage of pots and such is almost a must... I just can't do without them. xD Even if you don't lvl all professions you can have a friend craft items for you or just buy them for in game gold. Basically all of them are very important and needed, you have to decide for yourself ^^

You can't become lvl 4 of any profession until you reach lvl 50 though. And you don't really need to. ^^

EDIT: forgot to mention that self-crafted items have a lot of benefits like sockets, 2 star or 3 star; later in game when you outlevel your armor and weapon you can disassemble them at blacksmith/tailor and get fuel crystals; you can make hierograms for increased magic or phys attack/ dodge etc. Also use fuel crystals for increasing flying speed and what not lol xDDDD Possibilities are endless ^^
    And btw 3-star items disassemble to mirage stones so never ever throw your 3-star items or sell to NPC!!!!!
  • zantoryu
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Okay, thank you very much for the info. That clarified a lot of things for me.

Another thing I've been wondering, though - How are weapon and armor proficiencies determined?

'Cause if people get the vitality as BM just for the heavy armor, I have to wonder why they don't just go with complete strength instead. Sure, you'd die fast in PvP or if you pulled hate, but it seems like your damage would be much higher.

And is there a good reason to mix up stats other than survivability? And how much does survivability matter in PvE?

... And here I am, already diving into the endgame. I think I'll save crit vs. base damage calculations for later, though...

On that note, though: What is the max-level conversion for dexterity into dodge, and does it vary by class/armor?
  • khaai
    edited September 2008
    Options
    how much does survivability matter in PvE?

I believe you can solo all normal quests as the regular mobs are not that strong.... With VM you can solo even some minibosses.... But for cultivation quests you can't solo bosses regardless of race/class, you need at least lvl 60-70-80 ppl to help u ;)
  • zantoryu
    edited September 2008
    Options
    No, I meant... Do you need to drop points into vit in order to level or to be able to deal with mob AoEs or aggro, or would, say, a BM be okay having gone +495 total strength at level 100?
  • khaai
    edited September 2008
    Options
    ummm dunno XD never had BM :confused:
  • c453m4573r
    edited September 2008
    Options
    No, I meant... Do you need to drop points into vit in order to level or to be able to deal with mob AoEs or aggro, or would, say, a BM be okay having gone +495 total strength at level 100?

SHIZNIT! Bad idea or one thing. Axes and hammers along with heavy armors have a DEX requirement. Not that much DEX though, but it's still there. And you would need quite a lot of VIT for AOEing if that's what you meant. So pure build is like enough DEX for equipment and full STR. Though that's more recommended for those who can afford good armor. Most people would recommend 50-80 VIT for attack Blademasters. If you do so, you will be a great all around warrior character. And don't worry about damage. The extra STR has only a tiny increase compared to kick **** weapons. Or any weapon for that matter. Just make sure you have at least enough STR for every new weapon that comes.

EDIT: I should tell you that a pure damage build in this game is more meant for a ranged class (such as archer or mage) who can kill a monster before it can reach him.. You, as a Blademaster, are made for close combat. Every fight you get into with the enemy, you will be hit quite a lot. Which is why pure damage isn't a very good idea for a BM.
  • zantoryu
    edited September 2008
    Options
    On that note, what ARE the requirements for weapons and armor at various different levels?
  • c453m4573r
    edited September 2008
    Options
    On that note, what ARE the requirements for weapons and armor at various different levels?

From my observations of weapons just now, for axe/hammer It's about 30 STR and 5-7 DEX every ten levels: Level 41 axe is 123 STR and 27 DEX to give you the basic idea. The level 40 heavy armor is exactly like that only less needed for armor. So if you had 123 STR and 27 DEX at level 41 that would give you 65 points left to put into whatever you want. For double axes, you will need 2 more STR.

Hammer that rank is obtained at level 44 with 134 STR and 26 DEX, which is 2 more STR and 1 less DEX. very very little difference. So either could be used with that build. If you wanted more critical hit, you should use swords or blades.

The swords that rank are level 47 with 97 STR ad 74 DEX, leaving 74 extra points to whatever you want. Blade is level 49 with 101 STR and 77 DEX, and I don't know the difference there. As you can see, the swords are less STR than the axes, but there is much more DEX for crit and dodge, which proves to be very beneficial in the later levels.

The sword build is very versatile. It allows players to choose either a path that gives higher damage with more STR and heavy armor, or they utilize the dodge/crit, go full DEX and become become a light armor ninja. With the DEX ninja build, you still could wear heavy armor, but it would just have to be at a lower rank than normal. One more thing. Because the ninja DEX build gives good dodge, you would not need as much VIT. But as a damage guy with axes or just a higher STR sword build, you'll need more VIT to compensate with less dodge.

And one more thing: magic never misses. The ninja build is a killer on other BMs and Barbarians who use physical attacks, but on a magic player, they couldn't dodge, and with little VIT, they would die. So if you want to be stronger against mellee enemies, go for the higher DEX sword, but if you want to specialize against magic classes/monsters, go for the high STR axe build with 50-90 VIT.
  • zantoryu
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Thanks - but I'm still curious! (Must devour all info!)

What do fist weapons, robes, and light armor require to wear?

And do robes and light armor and heavy armor grant different kinds stat bonuses, or are they relatively similar? (As in, would robes give you +10 MAG +5 VIT +5 DEX, light armor +5 to all, and heavy armor +7 VIT +7 STR +6 DEX, or would they each give you +5 to all?)

(Seriously, thanks for the help, guys... I found a couple sites with some info, but they weren't really helpful... at all...)
  • c453m4573r
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Thanks - but I'm still curious! (Must devour all info!)

What do fist weapons, robes, and light armor require to wear?

And do robes and light armor and heavy armor grant different kinds stat bonuses, or are they relatively similar? (As in, would robes give you +10 MAG +5 VIT +5 DEX, light armor +5 to all, and heavy armor +7 VIT +7 STR +6 DEX, or would they each give you +5 to all?)

(Seriously, thanks for the help, guys... I found a couple sites with some info, but they weren't really helpful... at all...)

I have a feeling you went to a site to find someone ask the same questions you had, and some jerk comes and says, "Use search and look it up", yet when you do, there are no matches found.. *shrug* people like that are like my pet peeve.

Since you didn't specify what level you needed to know, I guess that means I can stick to level 40 examples. So far as I've seen from fists, it's about 15 STR and 20 DEX, in estimate of coarse. The req for rank 6 fist gloves is level 43 with 70 STR and 86 DEX, leaving 69 free points, you could either put those in STR for extra damage, VIT for survival against magic (not recommended), or DEX for some more of that Crit n Dodge.. You also have the choice to give a few points into MAG for Mana points if you like using skills.
    People might flame you for having fist build Blademaster and ask why you didn't just get an archer. But don't listen to them. There are quite a few false spectators ingame. Fists can be very beneficial to blademaster. They, just like axe, sword, and pole BMs get 5 special skills for each one (one of those five being a damage mastery for the weapon). Here is a list of all the blademaster skills. Please be aware that the names are all different due to this list having been made for MY EN.. Fists ninjas are excellent in later levels (they can take on a monster ten or so levels higher than they are). But they will die easily against magic monsters. Although, there is a way to trick a mage monster into mellee hitting, but I don't know how to do it.

Now, you are probably going to ask me the requirements for polearms. It's sort of a mix between the two. Requirements for rank 6 pole: level 42 with 107 STR and 46 DEX. I do not recommend the polearms. They are pretty much the least useful weapons for the Blademaster.

Magic armor is approximately 15 MAG and 5 STR per 100 levels. rank 6 robe requiem: level 40 with 24 STR and 63 MAG. I do not recommend this at all for blademasters. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that pieces to a full armor set are all obtained at different levels (torso=20,30,40,etc) (legs=23,33,43,etc) (wrist guards=24,34,44,etc) (boots=26,36,46,etc) so you would need some further examination on your armor. But not to worry. the requirement for each piece of the set is congruent.

The light armor requirement is the easiest to figure out and remember. Whatever your level is, always have STR and DEX for more than your level. Example: If you are level 20, make sure you have 24 STR and 24 DEX. level 30= 34 STR and 34 DEX. Just like that the whole time, which in basic is 1 STR and 1 DEX every level, and you start doing that when you hit level 3. Keep in mind that light armor is only serves as cushion a little for those classes that aren't supposed to be hit, like a venomancer, archer, cleric, or a high DEX blademaster. So it wasn't made for tanking damage in the slightest.

As for the stats received from armor: there are no natural stats in armors, unless you or someone crafts them. Through the crafting process, it happens at random. But once you become experienced, you'll be using soulstones to socket (upgrade) already made armors.

And your welcome. I hope my info helped.:)
  • spel
    spel Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Thanks for all the information :D! I visited a few sites that was recommended to read up on this game but all those sites had almost no information or guides so your help is really appreciated :).

Does Robes/cloth armor, which Wizard/clerics mostly uses, have any STR requirement?

How many people do you need usually for your first dungeon at level 19? Is it worth doing that dungeon as soon as you can? Thanks for any answers :D
  • zantoryu
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Yes, thank you very much for the info.

Spel, I found that the wiki at least had info on the requirements... It's pretty lame otherwise, though.
    http://pw-wiki.onlinewelten.com/enArmors.ashx

And in case you're curious, the reason I want to know about the requirements and granted stats of armor is because I'm pretty sure that I've determined that it's possible to be unhittable as a blademaster, but your magic resistance and damage output would be terrible unless you could get armor that granted enough stats to let you use better armor...

Which, by the way, I'm curious about: Do gear requirements base their requirements off of your base stats, or your base stats plus whatever bonuses you may have from other gear?
  • c453m4573r
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Yes, thank you very much for the info.

Spel, I found that the wiki at least had info on the requirements... It's pretty lame otherwise, though.
    http://pw-wiki.onlinewelten.com/enArmors.ashx

And in case you're curious, the reason I want to know about the requirements and granted stats of armor is because I'm pretty sure that I've determined that it's possible to be unhittable as a blademaster, but your magic resistance and damage output would be terrible unless you could get armor that granted enough stats to let you use better armor...

Which, by the way, I'm curious about: Do gear requirements base their requirements off of your base stats, or your base stats plus whatever bonuses you may have from other gear?

The answer to that is yes. Bonuses from other gear do allow you to get better gear if you are a few points lower then the requirement but don't base stats off of that. Because you will have to upgrade those gears which will hinder your ability to obtain the next gear when you hit the level req.

And blademasters are the most hittable in the game (next to barbarians, of coarse). LOL, they aren't like rouges from WoW. Although the high DEX fist ninja blademaster comes close.
  • zantoryu
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Thanks for the info again.

As far as it not working... I base what I said off of the fact that blademasters get the highest conversion of DEX into dodge rating, as well as the fact that if you can get your dodge rating high enough (not % from gear though, I don't think), I'm pretty sure that you can get unhittable-ness.

The issue I'm seeing is that you can only get 27 base STR and still have enough DEX... But if you can get some attribute bonuses off of gear and you can equip gear based on other gears' stats, then it might be feasible, though I don't think you'd get anywhere near the 150 str needed for the best fist weapon.