Can I trust Paypal?

pabling
pabling Posts: 69 Arc User
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
because I want to purchase zen via debit card, I must first link my bank account to paypal....

is paypal really that reliabls, cause were talking about money right now, and anything that goes bad within it, tragic will happen....
Post edited by pabling on

Comments

• evrilysis
    evrilysis Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Paypal has been around for years.

If you can't trust paypal you can't trust anyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pabling
    pabling Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    really? if so, is there anyone whos bank account is linked to paypal here? any experience?
  • zoefox
    zoefox Posts: 225
    edited August 2008
    I've used paypal with my bank account before. I've had no problems at all. Its good.
  • betch
    betch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Paypal is used by millions, if they even TRY something on you, you'll be looking at a nice sum of money you can sue out of them.

But yea, PayPal is official business, that's why when you visit their site the URL bar is yellow and has a lock icon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    IGN: Sheik
    Class: Bard
    Guild: Immortals
  • hong
    hong Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Yes, it's trusted. However using a debit card results an e-check. This e-check will take atleast 5-7+ business day to actually complete a transaction(You have to wait 1 whole week to get your Zen). Using a credit card is usually instant(Get your Zen/purchased item right away.

Make sure you do a complete scan(Virus/Spyware) on your computer before you do it though for extra safety if your worried.

Usually I transfer a few dollars to paypal using my Bank account so it acts like a credit card.

Just make sure you register paypal with an account that you don't use - special use for gaming or business. And don't use your MSN/Hotmail account. Well, you can, just change the password monthly.
    RoC.
  • funkeh
    funkeh Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Hundreds of games and websites use Paypal. Veeeery reliable.
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Paypal is totally reliable I've used it for years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • ryuujin
    ryuujin Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    hong wrote: »
    Yes, it's trusted. However using a debit card results an e-check. This e-check will take atleast 5-7+ business day to actually complete a transaction(You have to wait 1 whole week to get your Zen). Using a credit card is usually instant(Get your Zen/purchased item right away.

Make sure you do a complete scan(Virus/Spyware) on your computer before you do it though for extra safety if your worried.

Usually I transfer a few dollars to paypal using my Bank account so it acts like a credit card.

Just make sure you register paypal with an account that you don't use - special use for gaming or business. And don't use your MSN/Hotmail account. Well, you can, just change the password monthly.

Is that so? I have paypal linked to my bank account and whenever I use my debit card via paypal it instantly transfers the money from my account to paypal to them and I never have to wait.

Though everyone is right it's very safe and reliable and they even have the fraud protection and whatnot.
  • roxy
    roxy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Yeah you can trust paypal. =P I've used it for like 2 years so far?
    6to4uv.jpg

To the world, you may be one person
    But to one person, you may be the world
  • l0ki
    l0ki Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    YOu can trust paypal... on buying.. but on selling.. **** man.. if anyone disputes your payment on the item your selling.. it's done for.. you lose! I lost 60$bucks on a stupid scammer. Sold a book, and disputes his payment.. X_X oh well that's life..

In short:

Buying = Very Trustworthy
    Selling = Not so much
  • ryuujin
    edited September 2008
    l0ki wrote: »
    YOu can trust paypal... on buying.. but on selling.. **** man.. if anyone disputes your payment on the item your selling.. it's done for.. you lose! I lost 60$bucks on a stupid scammer. Sold a book, and disputes his payment.. X_X oh well that's life..

In short:

Buying = Very Trustworthy
    Selling = Not so much

You must have been unlucky on selling it's just as good as buy ,well assuming the person isn't trying to rip you off, as I've sold many things on ebay using paypal of course and never once had a dispute, though it sucks someone had to go and do that to you.
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Paypal rips off all of its users with lame fees, just about as bad as e*ay does. Buyers should not use it unless they intend to scam people, paypal (ebay, same g*y company) does not deserve your money.
    There is always western union, moneybookers, google pay or whatever it was called, etc. That do not fund evil when used.

They're NOT reliable AT ALL if you're selling something. They will lock your account for ages for the dumbest reasons, and they'll also with draw money from your account on a whim.
    It's dreadfully easy to scam sellers with paypal, you basically have to hope you get a good buyer.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • sikozu
    edited September 2008
    That whole depute thing, is an easy fix. All you have to do is request "signature on delivery" that way if the do depute it. You can take them to court and get 10x back what they actually stole from you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roxy
    edited September 2008
    Actually yeah, I do agree that paypal sucks if you're a seller. If you're a buyer, you're fine.
    6to4uv.jpg

• ryuujin
    edited September 2008
    ren wrote: »
    Paypal rips off all of its users with lame fees, just about as bad as e*ay does. Buyers should not use it unless they intend to scam people, paypal (ebay, same g*y company) does not deserve your money.
    There is always western union, moneybookers, google pay or whatever it was called, etc. That do not fund evil when used.

They're NOT reliable AT ALL if you're selling something. They will lock your account for ages for the dumbest reasons, and they'll also with draw money from your account on a whim.
    It's dreadfully easy to scam sellers with paypal, you basically have to hope you get a good buyer.

You must have been ripped off badly.

The way my account is set up I get charged no fees for selling or buying.
  • roxy
    edited September 2008
    sikozu wrote: »
    That whole depute thing, is an easy fix. All you have to do is request "signature on delivery" that way if the do depute it. You can take them to court and get 10x back what they actually stole from you.

What if the buyer claims that the seller shipped a broken item or something o_o and did a dispute.
    6to4uv.jpg

• ryuujin
    edited September 2008
    We shouldn't get into "what if's" simply put he asked if it was good to use for buying zen and yes it is, there are other things as well so he can use what he pleases.
  • ren
    edited September 2008
    ryuujin wrote: »
    You must have been ripped off badly.

The way my account is set up I get charged no fees for selling or buying.

You mean paying the lame monthly fee I take it. Still getting ripped. Still funding a vile company.

I wasn't ripped off, ebay is just vile, and what they've done to my favorite sellers both via ebay and paypal is ridiculous. eBay needs to die so the superior alternatives gain their stupid userbase.
    They also try to act like a bank, but they're not a bank. Paypal is just one big genius scam, and sheep buy into it like mad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • ryuujin
    edited September 2008
    Actually I pay nothing to paypal no monthly fees or anything, the only thing you get charged for is when you put something up for sale, but I haven't sold anything in a long time, and buying from them is no different then buying from an online store, you pay the sellers price and that's it, I prefer to NOT use ebay but there are some things I've had to buy that you can only get on there or through the slim chance you can get it elsewhere you end up paying 2-3 times more money.

I'm not trying to defend ebay or paypal, I'm just simply stating that most of the things you are saying aren't true or are over exaggerated a tad.
  • sikozu
    edited September 2008
    roxy wrote: »
    What if the buyer claims that the seller shipped a broken item or something o_o and did a dispute.

Well that's a good question lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kitfox
    kitfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Paypal rips off all of its users with lame fees {that are just about normal for accepting credit cards}, just about as bad as e*ay does {because Paypal only gives you 1.5% cash back on your debit card transactions and the money market fund only pays 3.7%}. Buyers should not use it unless they intend to scam people {Because buyers don't actually have to pay anything extra to make the payment. Nobody deserves a free lunch! You must PAY to Pay!}, paypal (ebay, same g*y company) does not deserve your money.
    There is always western union {Best for scamming buyers since they can never dispute the payment and only costs the buyer $12.95 to send $10}, moneybookers, google pay or whatever it was called, etc. That do not fund evil when used {All proceeds PayPal makes goes directly to Satan}.

They're NOT reliable AT ALL if you're selling something {illegal, or don't follow proper sales policy}. They will lock your account for ages for the dumbest reasons {like selling something illegal, scamming buyers, or being stupid and not selling things properly}, and they'll also with draw money from your account on a whim {anytime somebody points out that you did something wrong, even though you should have KNOWN it was illegal, but that doesn't matter, because money is money, legit or not!}.
    It's dreadfully easy to scam {stupid} sellers with paypal, you basically have to hope you get a good buyer {or actually realize that PayPal security exists in both directions and take proper measures to protect yourself. If you don't feel like that, I have some nice fake checks I'll give you to purchase that merchandise}.

Stuff in {} is mine.

8+ years of selling with PayPal.

-NEVER- EVER had a payment reversed successfully by a scammer.
  • kitfox
    edited September 2008
    Simply put, Sellign via PayPal is subjecting yourself to being a merchant. Just like owning a store, you're opening yourself to potential fraud and theft. If you don't protect yourself properly, you're going to be stolen from.

As for BUYING using PayPal: Free to the buyer. Very secure. Many major merchants use it. Enjoy.
  • ryuujin
    edited September 2008
    kitfox wrote: »
    Simply put, Sellign via PayPal is subjecting yourself to being a merchant. Just like owning a store, you're opening yourself to potential fraud and theft. If you don't protect yourself properly, you're going to be stolen from.

As for BUYING using PayPal: Free to the buyer. Very secure. Many major merchants use it. Enjoy.

Very well put, that sums it up well.
  • ren
    edited September 2008
    ryuujin wrote: »
    Actually I pay nothing to paypal no monthly fees or anything, the only thing you get charged for is when you put something up for sale, but I haven't sold anything in a long time, and buying from them is no different then buying from an online store, you pay the sellers price and that's it, I prefer to NOT use ebay but there are some things I've had to buy that you can only get on there or through the slim chance you can get it elsewhere you end up paying 2-3 times more money.

I'm not trying to defend ebay or paypal, I'm just simply stating that most of the things you are saying aren't true or are over exaggerated a tad.

Last I checked paypal either drops 5% or 4% off of a payer's funds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuujin
    edited September 2008
    Has taken no % from me since I've used it, it takes the same amount as whatever the place you are buying from charges, no more, no less.

This is of course seeing the total, and then checking paypal, and this is from other places other then ebay.
  • ren
    edited September 2008
    The last times I recieved a payment 5% was deducted (my $10 was not an even $10, exactly 5% off), so you're full of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuujin
    edited September 2008
    Considering I have the logs from all of the payments paid to or received I am not full of it, you seem to be the only one who has an issue with paypal, and the fact he isn't going to use it to sell things means even IF there were deductions it won't effect him any.
  • kitfox
    edited September 2008
    The last times I recieved a payment 5% was deducted (my $10 was not an even $10, exactly 5% off), so you're full of it.

Ahem.

Just like merchant credit card accounts, PayPal charges the SELLER to accept payments.

2.9% plus $0.30 for most accounts. However, see https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside for details.
  • carion
    carion Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    hong wrote: »

Sry to break it to you but debit card is not an e-check i use my debit card and its just the same as a credit card transaction. So b4 you go and tell someone that its an e-check do some research.
  • seawolf
    seawolf Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    To the OP, if you already have a bank account, is there really a need for Paypal? Used like a debit card, Paypal is almost like a bank account anyway, but with an extra step.

I don't know what country you're from or what bank you use, but most banks will issue a debit/check card along with your account. It's typically a Visa/Mastercard type card that can be used in online transactions just like a credit card.

Paypal allows you to do something similar. They'll issue you a debit card that has the Mastercard logo on it, which can also be used to purchase items online, similar to how a credit card works. This part has no fees and you can even get the usual ~1% cash back. You can also pay directly with Paypal and that can be tied in with your bank account but it's usually not necessary to use this extra step.

Usually, it's when you're receiving money from someone else that Paypal has big fees. However, that has nothing to do with Zen purchasing. Paypal also sometimes has issues when you're dealing with large quantities of money but it doesn't sound like you will run into that problem with just simple Zen purchasing.

Bottom line: If you want to just use Paypal for small-time Zen purchasing, yes, you can probably trust them for that much but your current bank account might already be enough.