Thoughs about PVP and PVE server

notpro
notpro Posts: 11 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
PVP/PVE server:

first I'd like to start off with people that say they get pked a lot in closed beta, this is bound to happen since leveling up gets you nowhere after 40, some people like to grind a bit or do some quests for little bit of fun so I've reached 46.

Basically what I'm trying to say is in open beta the pking will be reduced by a lot, sure you got RQ still pking but then again they cant be everywhere on the map at the same time.

the huge disadvantage to pvp server is the frustration of people who "think" they cant level, in their heads they seem to be like "I must finish this quest". best is when you get pked you move to another spot for about 30 min , let the pker(s) leave and go back to finish your quest.

However in closed beta you've only experienced a lot of spots to grind at, do your quests. Later on in the game there are limited spots to get your quests/grinding done properly. in later stage of this game there are certain spots on the continent to aoe pt ( dont feel like explaining this right now). so so far i've made the PVE server look the best as you can safe level without needing to worry about getting PKed, coz it surely slows down your experience doesnt it?

So with me telling you there's certain spots that wil be really good exp, will be pk-active naturally. So lets try to sketch the PVE server. why did you join PVE server? to not get pked! right on!
what do you want on the PVE server? level up fast!

so lets sketch the situations in later stage of this game. you have a bunch of factions and exp hungry people with limited space to grind fast. two questions come to mind:

1. what will do 1 enemy do to another?
2. what will the exp hungry people do?

1. ever thought about the fact instead of the enemy guild killing you, they will kill your mobs instead so they steal your exp? you can ask them kindly to stop, im sure they wont and they're right what will they do about it? since you can't defend yourself. pk isnt avaiable!

2. exp hungry people, you have 1 aoe party set up grinding real fast at level 60+, then another party for aoe gets formed with people who definitly want to level up as well, situation this party cant find a spot! what to do? lets set up an aoe pt right next to the other one and use half their spot, coz hey half their exp is better than no exp right? even though for the other party half exp is worse than full exp, which brings you to making enemies which brings you to question 1 again.

what if...everyone in PVE wil be friends and respect eachother and let eachother level?
thats a fantasy/dream, which such things as terrority wars and the fact is an mmorpg its bound to happen there will be guilds vs guilds enemies

I hope the community as well as the GMs realize the PVE server will be a total chaos at 50-55+, so my conclusion would be: join the pvp server, join a neutral faction and you can level safely 90% of the time.
Post edited by notpro on

Comments

• soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Both PvP and PvE servers have their advantages and disadvantages.
    For example, what you said about limited aoe pt spots will most likely be true on the PvE server, people KSing each other etc.
    On the other hand, the same spots on the PvP server will most likely be PK fests, since everyone wants to level there.

Let the people decide what they like more, KSers or PKers.

This topic has lead to users flaming each other in the past, maybe this time people will try to stay neutral? *is dreaming*

@below: i edited my post :p
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • notpro
    edited August 2008
    i basically sketched situations at higher level because i know what they look like
  • siberian
    siberian Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I never used zhen to level on the MY servers, but I see your point as valid for those who want to level like that, on a PvE you will probably end up with a KS'ing scenario.

But it's not all roses on the PvP server, you may end up with your party getting PK'd because someone in the pt is in a guild under KoS..or because the PK'er was bored, or because another pt wants that spot. And it can get costly too - usually we'd not kill the people in the pt's - we'd stun them and let the mobs kill them so they'd be forced to get an ep or face xp loss if they didn't have dolls, and if they had scrolls on they'd lose time having to wait till an ep could get there as well.

But 90% of parties are safe as long as you are very careful about who you pt with...and with a guild that is purely dedicated to PK'ing on the PvP server you may be looking at chaos anyway (level is no guarantee of safety - a 7x Blademaster with a well timed Stun will wipe a 8x AoE pt)
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    notpro wrote: »
    I hope the community as well as the GMs realize the PVE server will be a total chaos at 50-55+, so my conclusion would be: join the pvp server, join a neutral faction and you can level safely 90% of the time.

Everybody know by now that the PvP server will be unplayable with guys like Ragequit and others around. What you see in closed beta is what you'll get in open beta. There will not be neutral factions :D

AOE in the PvP server? Forget it, you'll be disruipted all the time and making no XP, and losing you miji for nothing. You'll be better off grinding your way up on mobs.

PvE server will be the best place to level quietly and have frendlier ganeplay. It,s sooooooooooo amusing to see pissed off PvPer like yourself trying to do everything you can to discredit the PvE server.... A usual like all the other you fail miserably.
    i basically sketched situations at higher level because i know what they look like
    How many hours of playing experience do you have on a PvE server?

Zero from reading your comment.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • notpro
    edited August 2008
    i played PW for a year i know what it will be like...

no need to provoke a flame war, im just trying to prewarn people of what will happen
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    i played PW for a year i know what it will be like..

I did not asked how long you played PW, I asked how long you played PW on a PvE server.

You are not prewarning players from what will happen, you are spreading lies about what the PvE servers will be.

If you want to see what is the end game on a PvE server, compare the TW maps of the Philippines and Japanese PvE server with those of the PvP Malaysian ones.

The end game events that are TW is much more active the PvE servers than on the PvP ones...
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • infrequentia
    infrequentia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Hey, don't try to make people go PvP! Less spawns for us needy people! xD
  • notpro
    edited August 2008
    i dont want people to make a wrong choice and end up like what i got into :)

im not here to debate with whoever replies, all i wanted to state is in my first post
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    i dont want people to make a wrong choice and end up like what i got into

The wrong choice would be to go in the PvP servers, unless you like to be ganked by players +30 levels above you who are bored and have nothing else to do.

• khaai
    khaai Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    karmelia wrote: »
    AOE in the PvP server? Forget it, you'll be disruipted all the time and making no XP, and losing you miji for nothing. You'll be better off grinding your way up on mobs.

PvE server will be the best place to level quietly and have frendlier ganeplay. It,s sooooooooooo amusing to see pissed off PvPer like yourself trying to do everything you can to discredit the PvE server.... A usual like all the other you fail miserably.

I COULDN"T AGREE MORE!!! Karmelia is my idol *poke* :D

Hm, as far as i can understand this Ragequit guild is something like EvilSouls on Delphi server...... Hated by everyone and humiliated all the time, in other words the lowest of the low. Gosh, I wouldn't feel ok to be part of that guild. :( Also, judging by the poll in main page very few people are going to PvP server. And no wonder, normal people don' like re.tar.ds. I feel sorry for PvP cause at one point, when everyone leaves the Lost City sever (due to not being able to lvl after 30) it will be only PK guilds left. Good luck PKing and KOSing each other, now THAT's FUN. =DDD
    Everyone else is welcome to the PvE server. :p:p
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Your sketch sais it all, on the PVE server you get multiple parties doing aoe in the same spot and u get slower exp. ON the PVP server you get pk fests that last hours and u get ZERO exp and spend a lor of hiero/dolls/items.

So its prety obvious that being ks'ed and maybe actually trying to talk to ppl rather than just always trying to bash their faces in would be a ar better server than just killing another over a spot and no one gets exp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • blazmeen
    blazmeen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I have no experience in any PW PvE server, and I haven't been clever/lucky/committed enough to reach the higher levels. I too worry sometimes about the way players may grief others if they can't pk, and I feared there could be alot of ksing in its place. However, seeing as I can't back that fear up with hard evidence then only time can tell.
    As far as the PvP servers go, my guess is that at first there will may be alot of pking, but as people settle and get used to it things will die down. For me, my-en wasn't that bad, I only got pk'ed once and we had open pk servers. Again because I've never played a high level char I don't know what could happen there or how bad it could become so I can't really comment. I doubt everyone will leave the PvP server :p that's a bit far fetched isn't it? I'm sure there are many players that go there who enjoy a fight and anticipate pkers. As others have said join a guild and partner up with guildies - there's safety in numbers. If there is any particular guild that angers the others who says noone will retaliate. I bet that guild would love it; it gives them someone to scrap with and likewise. I could ramble on but who knows? Let's just see what apps...
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    blazmeen wrote: »
    For me, my-en wasn't that bad

You cannot really compare the servers here and what is going on in the MY-EN servers.

There, PvE players have no choice between PvP and PvE, they must roll on a PvP server. There are numerous players there who have no interrest in Pvp whatsoever. I bet half the population in MY-En would have rolled in PvE if they had a choice.

Here you have a choice. Here, PvP players will go on the PvP server. Pve players will go on the PvE server.

The dynamics on PWI servers will be different that what was going on in MY-EN.

It end up to this :

You like player vs player fight more than anything else, go on the PvP server.

Player vs player fight is not your main concern in this game, go on the PvE server.

• dards
    dards Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    If you want pve GO PLAY WOW WE DONT WANT U HERE :)), if u like pw u like the pk, you dont like sum1 pk them or they steal a drop kos them, go play wow if u wana hold hands n play ring around the rosy ^^
  • godcrusher
    godcrusher Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Thanks the OP, it really gave out the outcomes of the servers. PKs thgh mmakes you lose your items, and defending yourself makes you pink. That's ****. In PVE, you can just try to overpower them. It'll be all about hte manpower and guilds later on. You call for help. xD\\

As for major ksing, just look at maple. That's like the only MMORPG out there without PVP/PK thus they resolve to Ksing. Whoever ks the best wins >.>
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    dards wrote: »
    If you want pve GO PLAY WOW WE DONT WANT U HERE :)),

Sadly enough for you, the admins wants us here.

if you don't want to see a PvE server, go play MY-EN.

Another failed PKer frustrated that he won't be able to gank on players who don't want to indulge into his type of play.

• huli
    huli Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    It`s awfully **** to say that you won`t be able to exp on the pvp server. From my experience on Lineage 2 servers pvp was always there and there was no problem whatsoever to get a higher level. Just stick to a big guild and there won`t be any problems.

In the late game there are usualy a lot of people and if they started pking people just for the fun of it mostly they get half the server population against themselves. You can`t compare this to closed beta as there is not enough people who might oppose one clan.

On the PvE server you wont get to fight for your "exp spot" just because you can`t. On the PvP server you have a choice. You dont have to fight, you can talk to people there as well and dont think that everyone on the PvP server will be an a$$hole.

Thanks for any reply.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    huli wrote: »
    On the PvP server you have a choice. You dont have to fight, you can talk to people there as well and dont think that everyone on the PvP server will be an a$$hole. .

People can talk in the PvE server too, you know?

Not every one will be an a**hole in the PvP server, but you can bet the majority of a**holes will go play there.

• huli
    edited August 2008
    Yes, the point is... on PvE you can ONLY talk.
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008

Someone's never heard of optional PvP.
  • godcrusher
    godcrusher Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    You can get people and ks htem bak >.>
  • irbis
    irbis Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    godcrusher wrote: »
    As for major ksing, just look at maple. That's like the only MMORPG out there without PVP/PK thus they resolve to Ksing. Whoever ks the archmages/bishops wins >.>
    fixed ;] was playng this **** for 3 years lol
    There exist only three beings worthy of respect:
    the priest, the soldier, the poet.
    To know, to kill, to create.
    -severan
  • huli
    edited August 2008
    tinkus wrote: »

Optional pvp needs to be accepted with both sides. Trust me that the losing side will just stay put and ks all they can without accepting. Only choices you have is to get a lot of monsters and hope they will die when they start aoe. And that is a slim chance that they will leave.
  • notpro
    edited August 2008
    tinkus wrote: »

i doubt people will put on their optinal PVP when they're ksing eachother ..
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008

There are some other options ^_^

In the PvP server you can only killed of be killed if you are on KoS. Which is likely to happen if you want to do TW and such.

And don't worry about KSing. Most players won't do it because it's unproductive.

• huli
    edited August 2008
    Strange... I always thought that you can kill any player on the map on the pvp server(except npc, gm...).

And KSing might feel as unproductive to a full group which can kill monsters easy, but it might be a great place for 2 mages for example who just wait for the tank to bring monsters and those two will take all fame and glory after some AoE spells. Even some people might do it to spoil the parties fun and its the only thing they can do to be hated on a PvE server.
  • zaknafein
    zaknafein Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    and besides, if one party or a pair of mages etc etc starts KSing then those names will be remembered by players and they'll start being harassed by many other players. and many giuld will most likely try to keep Ksing within the guild to a minimum, so as to not tarnish the guild's name.

on a PVE server you'll have to know how to talk to people to get them to share a spot, in a PVP server if you want a spot you just take it by force. in many other MMOs if you just ask politely people will share a spot, just remember to ask before you KS or else they'll definetly refuse. people in general aren't mean, it's the situation and who they're talking to that makes them mean.

it really is a matter of choice, as stated before, if you want to kill people for a spot head to the PVP server, if you want to have a slightly more difficult time of talking people into allowing you to share, but not getting your rep tarnished head to PVE
  • irbis
    irbis Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    zaknafein wrote: »
    and besides, if one party or a pair of mages etc etc starts KSing then those names will be remembered by players and they'll start being harassed by many other players. and many giuld will most likely try to keep Ksing within the guild to a minimum, so as to not tarnish the guild's name.

on a PVE server you'll have to know how to talk to people to get them to share a spot, in a PVP server if you want a spot you just take it by force. in many other MMOs if you just ask politely people will share a spot, just remember to ask before you KS or else they'll definetly refuse. people in general aren't mean, it's the situation and who they're talking to that makes them mean.

it really is a matter of choice, as stated before, if you want to kill people for a spot head to the PVP server, if you want to have a slightly more difficult time of talking people into allowing you to share, but not getting your rep tarnished head to PVE
    basicly: in PvE, you need to know how to well, "live with people" O.o how to move within the comunity
    in PvP, just be sociapat ^^ rest doesnt matter xD
    There exist only three beings worthy of respect:
    the priest, the soldier, the poet.
    To know, to kill, to create.
    -severan
  • siberian
    siberian Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    It`s awfully **** to say that you won`t be able to exp on the pvp server. From my experience on Lineage 2 servers pvp was always there and there was no problem whatsoever to get a higher level. Just stick to a big guild and there won`t be any problems.

The problem with sticking in the big guild is that not everyone will be starting to play at the ame time, in a PvP server thats 3 months old the big guilds will likely be full and only taking in higher members - which mostly means that you probably won't be in the big guilds and when you hit 30 you are not only exposed but you're exposed to a server with a lot of people willing and able to gank you. In MY-EN my main char is a lvl 92 wb, the only people that take it on are other 9x+ and even then not too many bother, so it's free to go anywhere. But having recently made a new char levelling between 30+ on a long established was a whole other world of being randomly killed at any time - I'm not saying it was fun and challenging, but if I didn't have the other char to get revenge I probably would have just given up :) .
    irbis wrote: »
    basicly: in PvE, you need to know how to well, "live with people" O.o how to move within the comunity
    in PvP, just be sociapat ^^ rest doesnt matter xD

That's probably the best summation of PvP vs PvE I've heard :)
  • kikii
    kikii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i played lil bit MY-EN and got very frustrated..lvl70++ ppl PKing lvl30+ ppl
    and since i dont have much time to play ima go to PvE server
    i dont have anything against PKing but its rly boring to make some quest and then some nolifer
    comes and pwn u just for fun ;)