Bluescreen on Char Creation

retni
retni Posts: 16 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Support Desk
Heyo. Just downloaded the game and I'm having a bit of a problem. Every single time I load up the character creation screen, without fail, my system crashes with a 0X0000008E error. Now before anyone goes screaming 'It's your RAM!' or 'Faulty HDD!' or whatever else, Perfect World is the ONLY game this occurs in.

I have a Diamond Radeon X1050 card with the latest drivers, and 1.5 gigs of ram. Every other game I run on my system (Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind, Phantasy Star Universe, Mabinogi, Guild Wars, whatever) all work perfectly. No bluescreens at all. Not one. Only Perfect World, and only at Character Creation.

Halp!
Miakis - Blademaster - Heaven's Tear
Nyx - Venomancer - Heaven's Tear
Flonne - Archer - Heaven's Tear
Post edited by retni on

Comments

• retni
    edited August 2008
    Also - I tried changing graphical settings, resolution, textures, windowed mode, etc. It still results in a bluescreen.
  • retni
    edited August 2008
    Solved the problem myself by re-searching through the forums and finding something on a post called 'Restart Problem' about using Radeon drivers from a 7.7 version instead of 8.8.

It now works, but it seems like Perfect World has some kind of issue with the newer Radeon drivers. Probably not a good thing.
  • fez
    fez Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    you probably have AGP version of that card?
  • retni
    edited August 2008
    fez wrote: »
    you probably have AGP version of that card?

Why yes, I do.
  • fez
    fez Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    PW fails with agp cards :`(. Only ati ones i think tho.
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ^ my older PC runs PW fine with an Nvidia 7600GT AGP, so i don't think it's AGP's fault. IF, then it's ATI who is at fault.

It would be really amusing if PW really has a problem with some AGP cards but doesn't with PCI-E ones, even though AGP is more or less of the same generation as PW
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    soukyuu wrote: »
    ^ my older PC runs PW fine with an Nvidia 7600GT AGP, so i don't think it's AGP's fault. IF, then it's ATI who is at fault.

It would be really amusing if PW really has a problem with some AGP cards but doesn't with PCI-E ones, even though AGP is more or less of the same generation as PW

Same with my old agp 6600. It's ATI's fault.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • holywind
    holywind Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    How exactly can this be solved? Ive got the same type of card that you have, and i obviously want to play, is there a solution? Ive got a Radeon X1600, AGP also. My own screen doesnt go blue though, it simply reboots my whole computer...
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    holywind wrote: »
    How exactly can this be solved? Ive got the same type of card that you have, and i obviously want to play, is there a solution? Ive got a Radeon X1600, AGP also. My own screen doesnt go blue though, it simply reboots my whole computer...
    Please, at least read the posts in this thread.
    retni wrote: »
    Solved the problem myself by re-searching through the forums and finding something on a post called 'Restart Problem' about using Radeon drivers from a 7.7 version instead of 8.8.

It now works, but it seems like Perfect World has some kind of issue with the newer Radeon drivers. Probably not a good thing.

And the reason why your PC reboots is because you have the "auto-restart" option activated.
    go to start->computer properties->advanced system properties->startup & recovery settings-> untick autorestart.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • holywind
    holywind Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, my bad, i was at work and i didnt have the time to look at the other thread, it fixed my problem too to install the 7.7 driver, many thanks to you both :)
This discussion has been closed.