Why so many professions available?

sneaky
sneaky Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Suggestion Box
Ok,

I have only been playing the closed beta and I have a few questions and perhaps suggestion as well.

Why are people allowed to have all the professions if they choose? Is there any reson/benefit to allow all the professions such as armorsmithing, blacksmithing etc to be avail to all toons? Wouldn't that kinda defeat or limit the marketplace/auction house capacity and trade options?

Perhaps a possible suggestion to limit the amount of professions a toon can have to say 2? That way it would allow more free trade. Also would allow more of a marketplace to be created.

Food for thought perhaps and any comments welcome.
Artemis_Dasins - Eyrda Server
Post edited by sneaky on

Comments

• f4ding
    f4ding Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Like in cabal online? Where you choose one profession and that is what you are stuck with.
    I like your idea but it does make things insanely over priced.
  • cometa
    cometa Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I like the idea of ONE profession. It doesn't make things overpriced if enuf ppl are working that job.

However, putting things on the market, the fee IS OVERPRICED.
  • f4ding
    f4ding Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i am interested to see how the economy ends up in this version it got messed up pretty fast on MY i have to buy cash shop items and sell them in game to make enough money for my lvl 70 gear
  • sneaky
    edited August 2008
    More food for tought. Perhaps allowing 2 professions might work?

Have a primary profession and secondary profession? Perhaps to get your secondary profession skills up it cost you some multiplier (like 2x the amount) of spirit points and gold to increase the secondary profession as its not a specialty? Also make your secondary profession less likely to produce higher quality items (ex: blue / socketed equipment)?

I agree that by allowing all professions it really would deminish the marketplace. I already have a hard time selling goods in the AH and in shop already as everyone can create their own items. Makes the economy a drag.
  • tricktia
    tricktia Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    cometa wrote: »
    I like the idea of ONE profession. It doesn't make things overpriced if enuf ppl are working that job.

However, putting things on the market, the fee IS OVERPRICED.

"cough" "cough" :D hmm one profession is gona criple playing more faster (get bored more faster) but maybe 2 or 3 profession might do the trick but keep in mind one thing this is closed beta right now it doesn't matter if you sell ANYTHING cuz its been told in one of posts that our and ALL characters that were made in closed beta gona be delated and probobly items and everything you gained.

P.S. I hope no one buying cashshop items yet cuz in closed beta kinda stupid idea :rolleyes:

Edit:still there is one little thing that wasn't sayed before just small thing called LVL in some professions it requires bigger lvl of profession skill so -.- I don't think everyone gona have high lvls and later it might be needed and also automaticly set prices for some items bigger (I personely haven't researched about professions but some items can't be farmed on out citys I know this cuz I encountered one that say I have low lvl of that and that profession to get item)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tricktia
    edited August 2008
    Delate this post Admin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sneaky
    edited August 2008
    tricktia,

I understand there are levels involved in the crafting process and it is hard to get to those higher levels if you select all professions. I also agree its not wise to buy cash shop items for purpose of beta testing.

What I am noticing is that people are buying crafting materials for high prices and the actual finished goods are being trashed or NPCd at best for no one is buying them. How many normal low character level bows have you sold during the CB in effort? I can say I've sold... none.

Why? I want to call it Self sufficiency.

Because John Doe and Jane Doe can go to the blacksmith and create the same armor themselves after completing the quest. So I decide to switch to low level armor. Again I sold nothing cause Jane Doe and John Doe also completed the beginer quest. Etcetera for jewlery and potions.

So I decide to open up a shop and buy materials from players or check the AH for materials. This time there are very little sellers of materials which means high prices and I craft craft armor just for me now or practice cause I can't sell any because Jane Doe and John Doe are shall we say... self sufficient.

By taking away some professions from players like I suggested it opens up a decision for players to chose their profession(s), opens up the market place to a little competition. Otherwise why would I buy armor, weapons, jewlery, or potions from you if I can be self sufficeint also.

If everyone becomes self sufficient there really isn't a need for a marketplace or economy in game. That's why I made a suggestion to limit in the amount of professions a person can have and/or limit the skill/quality level of people who decide to master more than one skill.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    You don't craft to make money, you craft for the ridiculously small chance of getting amazing jewelry or to help your guildmates craft the weapons/armor they need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arles
    arles Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Unfortunately, there is a good and bad side to both. I played a game that only gave you the choice of two comparable professions. The result? Things were obscenely overpriced, often selling for triple what they were worth. While it works out well for those selling the products, it puts many people in a bind when it comes to trying to purchase them. Compounded by the fact that only PvP servers are available at this time, you can see the problem here. In order to compete with others, players will be completely at the mercy of what sellers or NPC's are asking for better items. Either that, or fall behind the competition, which I have not seen many avid PvPers do with even a modicum of grace.

I like the idea of having all professions available, though all at the very beginning of the game may not be the best idea. Perhaps making two available at the start, and the others available later on would be a balanced approach without creating monopolies. However, I much prefer being able to make my own equipment than being stuck with paying whatever others are asking. Of the two, I feel making them all available is the lesser of two evils.
  • tricktia
    edited August 2008
    so basicly you will still be selling for good money what ever you do cuz its rare chance you get something badass in this game besides closed beta it is no point talking more about economy if everything including money gona be erased B)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • june
    june Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    When I played on Perfect World by other publishers, I noticed that many people didn't bother with crafting skills and depended on others for crafting. The skills suck away valuable skill points at early stages and has a really bothersome crafting quests at level 4,6, and 8 and get progressively more difficulty/expensive to complete, later on having multiple stages, needing to create twice as many items.