Should I but this Computer??

Options
sealed
sealed Posts: 781
edited August 2008 in Off-Topic Discussion
Hello everyone, I need advices from anyone or everyone in PW that would like to share their knowledge, I'm looking for a new computer to buy, I'm not really amazing at knowing wich is good or not, but do you think this one is worth buying??

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/iBUYPOWER-Gamer-Tempest-922TLX-Desktop-PC-922TLX/sem/rpsm/oid/214938/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If you can find a better computer thats cheeper please Message me the link, thank you:p

*Edit*: Accidently type but instead of buy on title >.<

sealed~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• viserys
    viserys Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Have you considered building your own computer?? To be honest, when it comes to custom building rigs, when planning to spend over $1k, it's a better bang for your buck to build it yourself compared to store bought. The computer in the link is good, more then enough to handle PW at max, but it's also over priced, and who the hell needs 1000 GB harddrive unless they plan to store a **** load of ****.

you could easily build a computer yourself with the same specs, BUT add a 22 inch LCD monitor to the package.
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Hey the Operating system is Vista Home Premium, is it any different from regular Vista?? Cause I heard Vista sucks in general, I dunno why:confused:

sealed~
  • c453m4573r
    c453m4573r Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You Should Not But That Computer!!
  • felixomni
    felixomni Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Why not? I've never met a computer I didn't but.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    IGN:Nepheneee
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm assuming you guys are taking my accidental "misspelling" as a joke now eh??

Hope your laughing with me not at:p

But seriously should I, 1 Terabite Hard-Drive memory made me jump in my seat, and a descent GeForce Card =D

sealed~
  • tortoise
    tortoise Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    When are we going to be able to play? and what are the steps for downloadation?:confused:
  • tortoise
    tortoise Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Pls help me!
  • f4ding
    f4ding Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalog/productListingTemplate.jsp?queryString=freeText%7Ehigh+end+computers&searchString=high+end+computers&_requestid=3440027
    only 750gb hard drive but about the best gaming computer i have used or seen and is 200 dollars cheaper
    im sure there are better out there for alot more money but i posted this one because it is around the money range you were looking for and i have personally tested it as it is the computer i plan to buy.
  • descentia
    descentia Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Honestly, you should buy the pieces separately and build it yourself...

That's a ridiculous price for what you're getting and not getting.

Also:
    *No monitor?

*1TB HDD? (Why? O.o)
    -I personally use a WD Raptor 10k rpm 250 gb drive. The extra speed helps out a ton when loading data and I really don't see the need for any more space than that... especially since I only have about 40 gb of it filled... (With 5 mmo's currently installed, Autocad 2008, and Photoshop C3.)

*You could get 2x 512mb video cards for less money and run sli instead of buying 1x 1gb card. (This would give you faster video response times and less video latency)

*You could buy 4x 1gb DDR2 RAM cards for similar money as 2x 2gb DDR2 RAM cards for added value, easier replacement, added reliability more data processing ability and faster memory access.

*Oh, and throw in an AMD 3.0-3.5 ghz dual core to save you even more money AND get more speed.

Need I say more?
  • t3ch
    t3ch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    quad core is a nono for gaming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    sealed: All prebuilts are a ripoff. Period. Build your own. It will cost less, and if you talk to me in irc I can help you with getting vista for a very large discount or tell you which brands are quality/good warranty etc.
    Prebuilts either:
    -grossly overprice
    -use cheap parts (usually in addition to overprice)
    -skimp specs
    -bad warranty (the first one you linked had a terrible warranty and the price to extend it was a JOKE)
    -force you to pay for garbage preinstalled **** like vista

Just read some guides on how to put a pc together, it's almost impossible to go wrong...
    descentia wrote: »
    *Oh, and throw in an AMD 3.0-3.5 ghz dual core to save you even more money AND get more speed.
    ANY dual core is cheaper and marginally better per clock rate than a quad for gaming. AMD's offerings this generation just suck, go with a 45nm intel.
    45nm duo if you want a budget gaming pc, 45nm quad if you want to futureproof. Quads can overclock quite well, and intel's quads beat the **** out of amd's even though intel's is 2 duos squashed together.
    t3ch wrote: »
    quad core is a nono for gaming.

Complete bulls***. We're headed towards 8-core cpus because the mhz can't be pushed any more, games that support 4+ threads will become more populous in the next year or two.
    Not to mention the performance intels lose to their false quad design is almost negligible.

But at the time, yes, quads aren't very practical unless you run a crapload of pragrams at once or use the very small (but still growing) list of quad-supporting games like Supreme Commander.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I just need a good computer to buy, I will start building my own once I'm on my own without my parents xD

sealed~
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    It only takes a couple hours to set up a new pc, and 3-5 days to recieve your parts from newegg.
    And saves you a lot of money (~200-600) depending on whether you go for quality or budget.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • darkassasin
    darkassasin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    xD it looks good and it will run pw w/o any probs, im assuming it doesnt come with a monitor, and if u want a good lcf monitor 19-24" will add around 200-300 bucks more, but everything else is gud enuf like the 9600s, 4gb memory. But if u live in US/Canada I suggest u buy from Best Buy cuz they have good ones there too, pretty decent for gaming and come with a monitor so u dont have to buy another one.

and if u do live in US i suggest u check this one, bcheaper than the one in circuit city but has better specs http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878841&type=product&id=1210379087904
    6GB, Vista 64-bit, and Nvidia 9800s.

Or this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878841&type=product&id=1210379087904
    comes iwth 22" lcd, 6 GB memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XdxDb:victoryb:cuteb:laughb:angry
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    xD it looks good and it will run pw w/o any probs, im assuming it doesnt come with a monitor, and if u want a good lcf monitor 19-24" will add around 200-300 bucks more, but everything else is gud enuf like the 9600s, 4gb memory. But if u live in US/Canada I suggest u buy from Best Buy cuz they have good ones there too, pretty decent for gaming and come with a monitor so u dont have to buy another one.

and if u do live in US i suggest u check this one, bcheaper than the one in circuit city but has better specs http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878841&type=product&id=1210379087904
    6GB, Vista 64-bit, and Nvidia 9800s.

Or this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8878841&type=product&id=1210379087904
    comes iwth 22" lcd, 6 GB memory

Wow, ROFL at the comments in the reviews for those. Seriously, don't buy a prebuilt... isn't Best Buy warranty ****, too? Better off buying straight from dell or gateway maybe, but you'd still be getting screwed.
    And make sure you get a solid 3 year warranty. Pretty much all the parts I built my pc out of have a 3 year warranty, some 5 year, some lifetime.

Also, newegg has some badass deal on OCZ ram right now... I got 2gb warrantied to run at 1100mhz for $35. Mixed in fine with my corsair, no stability issues in memtest or games at all (but it's still not advisable to mix ram <_<)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    descentia wrote: »
    *You could buy 4x 1gb DDR3 RAM cards for similar money as 2x 2gb DDR2 RAM cards for added value, easier replacement, added reliability more data processing ability and faster memory access.

Just now noticed that, you're full of ****. I can get 8gb of DDR2 for the price of 4gb of DDR3.
    DDR3 latencies are stupidly high, it's not worth buying into until the latencies improve and the price drops. Which should be in 2009 with the new cpu socket boards that only take DDR3 (from what i little read anyways).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • godcrusher
    godcrusher Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Without experience building a PC isn't going to be easy...

http://ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    Options
    godcrusher wrote: »
    Without experience building a PC isn't going to be easy...

http://ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm

Exactly I have no experience in this >.<

Lets say I will build my own computer, what part's do I need to buy to build a computer?

sealed~
  • godcrusher
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I think that website lets you pick the parts and they build it and send it to you, as for building your own, there might be certain problems. You're going to need lot of help if, without knowing anything about computers.

HDD isn't that much, get some nice CPU, like 4gb of RAM 2gb is even good anyway) and a decent graphic card. Unless you need some super hardcore gaming, you shouldn't need to waste as much money.
  • darkassasin
    edited August 2008
    Options
    sealed wrote: »
    Exactly I have no experience in this >.<

Lets say I will build my own computer, what part's do I need to buy to build a computer?

sealed~

a lotta parts.
    heres a small lst :p
    cpu case
    power supply
    motherboard
    processor
    ram
    video/graphics card
    hard drive
    DVD drive or w/e
    besdies that u need a monitor and mouse/keyboard, also speakers :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • godcrusher
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Fan or cooling system? ;s

Your comps gonna burn!!!
  • tricktia
    tricktia Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Fan or cooling system? ;s

Your comps gonna burn!!!

haha cooling system don't need to be even sayed of course you need something to cool of PC what you think he use bucket of water:D

he also needs to be carefull what part he getting if he gets motherboard and procesor that can't go together cuz of diffrent socket lol its waste of money then he must have in count eletricity spends :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • godcrusher
    edited August 2008
    Options
    tricktia wrote: »
    haha cooling system don't need to be even sayed of course you need something to cool of PC what you think he use bucket of water:D

he also needs to be carefull what party he getting if he gets motherboard and procesor that can't go together cuz of diffrent socket lol its waste of money then he must have in count eletricity spends :rolleyes:

Yeah the power, he probably should use one of those customizable sites, pugetcustom computers have good services but the prices aren't cheap, ibuypower may or may not be reliable.

You can always use buckets of ice xD, beware of injuries :(
  • darkassasin
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yeah the power, he probably should use one of those customizable sites, pugetcustom computers have good services but the prices aren't cheap, ibuypower may or may not be reliable.

You can always use buckets of ice xD, beware of injuries :(

:cool: why not just put 1 or 2 mini ac's in there wud work better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • descentia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    Just now noticed that, you're full of ****. I can get 8gb of DDR2 for the price of 4gb of DDR3.
    DDR3 latencies are stupidly high, it's not worth buying into until the latencies improve and the price drops. Which should be in 2009 with the new cpu socket boards that only take DDR3 (from what i little read anyways).

Typo :p You're right about that btw. :D
  • descentia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I just bought a laptop yesterday. (Needed something portable for school).

$699.99 after $50 mail-in rebate and it runs great.

Can run PW on full detail.

:D:D:D

P.S. The air coming off the side vent would seem more appropriate from a winter heater.