Petite Sawfly Pet Question

aphexion
aphexion Posts: 8 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Venomancer
Hmm, everyone is telling me the Petite Sawfly pet is the best pet for PVP at low levels.

I dont understand how this is possible because my Golem Outdamages it in Ground vs Ground PVP because Sawfly's Air vs Ground damage is reduced.

So if it can only be useful in air to air combat, how can it be good at pvp.
Post edited by aphexion on

Comments

• bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Air pets, even on the ground, have higher damage per second, even with their ground attack being halved. If you're PVPing (Duels) or Pking (Being attacked, defending yourself from one, or even doing the PKing), the Sawfly will most likely do faster/more damage than the Golem. This is because unlike mobs, people are not stupid enough to attack the pet, and usually ignore it. The damage the pet is doing eventually adds up (Assuming you don't die too fast and the pet continues to be ignored because they're focusing on you to kill both you and unsummon the pet), and could turn the tide in battle, so you might want the Sawfly doing more damage per second than a Golem, since the Golem's tanking is moot if it's not being attacked.

Hope this helps.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • aphexion
    edited August 2008
    Hmm, thats strange, i was dueling and it did seem like i killed alot faster with golem rather than Sawfly
  • bron
    edited August 2008
    Then no idea, sorry, I tried. Were they the same level pets?

I was just saying what I remember. Air pets still have pretty high attack on land even when halved. I don't remember how it works exactly, but all I know is that I read that when an air pet attacks something on the ground, only half of their attack is factored in (An air pet has double the attack of a land pet of the same level, so this just normalizes it). Their land attack is still supposed to be higher than land pets though. Again, just what I've read.

I didn't use my Fly too much back when I played, so it was always lower level than my Golem by about 10, so this is all the info I'm able to provide, sorry. All I can say is my level 35ish Fly could still rip through level 45 monsters with only one heal per fight, and the same on land when I used it.

I suppose you could test a duel with somebody with a Golem and Fly same level as you and report back. All I know is the Fly is *supposed* to outdamage the Golem at the same level. If it actually does, I have no clue.
  • aphexion
    edited August 2008
    hmm, Both my pets are level 31

The Golem has 559 Phys Attack While the Sawfly has 586 And the Sawfly hits for less on A to G targets.
  • kittyeatsushi
    kittyeatsushi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Golems are also a lot slower speedwise than the sawfly, and speed is probably pretty important in PvP.
  • aphexion
    edited August 2008
    People have been telling me Ripping Bite is essential for pvp.
    Could someone explain to me exactly what it does, and why its so good?
  • bron
    edited August 2008
    I don't remember if it's shown somewhere or not, but I'm guessing the Fly just attacks faster than the Golem (More attacks in the same amount of time). This stat may or may not be displayed, but I know the walking speed stat is displayed. The attack speed is probably not shown anywhere, so you can look at the attack animation.

I don't remember off hand, but I'm going to make an educated guess from what I do remember. Based on the animation, it should take a Golem more time to swing it's arms than a Fly to poke with it's stinger. Whether it's actually true, I couldn't tell you, because I didn't actually PVP at the level I was at when I left MY at level 43, nor did I really look at how fast the numbers were appearing for each pet.

So I'm pretty sure the fly just attacks faster for small damage than the Golem attacking slower for large chunks. This may not be 100% accurate since I haven't played for a while, but it's logical. It's really the only reason I can think of for Fly over Golem in PVP, with the Fly being better because it attacks more often and doing less damage per hit, but more total.

Now about Ripping Bite. The skill is a DD (Direct damage), a Bleeding DOT (Damage over time), and I'm not sure about this since I really don't remember, but I think it also lowers the affected target's defense power. Lower def means attacks do more damage, so yea, good skill for killing stuff quicker. If it doesn't lower def, then the DD and DOT are nice anyway, so it's still a good skill. Might just be a DD and def lower effect. I really forgot which combination of the three it does, it's been a while.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    bron wrote: »
    Now about Ripping Bite. The skill is a DD (Direct damage), a Bleeding DOT (Damage over time), and I'm not sure about this since I really don't remember, but I think it also lowers the affected target's defense power.

And Ripping Bite is bugged. it does more damage in PvP than it should.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Pets don't suffer the same air to ground penalty that players do. A fly hitting ground targets will deal 100% damage. A golem does have higher attack than the fly, but it's slow speed and lack of any ability to go into the air makes it easily escapable, while the fly with decent speed will be able to chase both kiting players and those that take to the air.

PvP makes all damage dealt fall to 25% of what they would ordinarily do. Ripping bite is bugged and the bleeding damage deals 100% damage, while the initial hit of ripping bite still falls to 25%. There are no additional effects, you pretty much only use ripping bite for the full bleeding damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aphexion
    edited August 2008
    senovit wrote: »
    Pets don't suffer the same air to ground penalty that players do. A fly hitting ground targets will deal 100% damage. A golem does have higher attack than the fly, but it's slow speed and lack of any ability to go into the air makes it easily escapable, while the fly with decent speed will be able to chase both kiting players and those that take to the air.

PvP makes all damage dealt fall to 25% of what they would ordinarily do. Ripping bite is bugged and the bleeding damage deals 100% damage, while the initial hit of ripping bite still falls to 25%. There are no additional effects, you pretty much only use ripping bite for the full bleeding damage.

Yeah but the thing is, Ive tested it in a duel. The Sawfly hit for 59ish from Air To Ground , but hit 150+ in Air to Air on the same target >_<

And do you know if Ripping Bite is bugged in the international version?
  • aphexion
    edited August 2008
    And if Ripping bite is indeed bugged, does anyone know what the name of the translated skill is in PW International?
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    aphexion wrote: »
    Yeah but the thing is, Ive tested it in a duel. The Sawfly hit for 59ish from Air To Ground , but hit 150+ in Air to Air on the same target >_<

And do you know if Ripping Bite is bugged in the international version?

Really? I've never noticed it on mobs, and I haven't tested it on players. If so, me pvp'ing with my fly this whole time has been a bad idea >_>'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • demise
    demise Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    aphexion wrote: »
    And if Ripping bite is indeed bugged, does anyone know what the name of the translated skill is in PW International?

Flesh Ream.