Translations

Options
haiz
haiz Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Suggestion Box
I hereby declare my powers as a closed beta testers and will tell you that a translation is so bad it must be a bug and deemed wrong.

What translation am I talking about? One word, "Archosaur". This translation has to be wrong, and the only way to fix it is to give it the correct name of "Ancient Dragon City".

No offense, but Archosaur is umm, the worst city name I've ever heard of. You kept some of the other city names the same, but why, WHY?!? would you change something like Ancient Dragon City to Archosaur.

I demand this be fixed once OB begins. It is a bug of incapable mass proportions that might even ruin this game.
Post edited by haiz on

Comments

• cxni14
    cxni14 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    How about the translation of "Raw Iron"? in this PWI it becomes "Pig Iron"
    it just sound funny...

and i remembered one of the mobs. in the quest it asked to "Kill Undine Of Virtue" but i couldn't find it.
    and actually the mobs called "Virtuous Undine"
  • embl3m
    embl3m Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    haiz wrote: »
    I hereby declare my powers as a closed beta testers and will tell you that a translation is so bad it must be a bug and deemed wrong.

What translation am I talking about? One word, "Archosaur". This translation has to be wrong, and the only way to fix it is to give it the correct name of "Ancient Dragon City".

No offense, but Archosaur is umm, the worst city name I've ever heard of. You kept some of the other city names the same, but why, WHY?!? would you change something like Ancient Dragon City to Archosaur.

I demand this be fixed once OB begins. It is a bug of incapable mass proportions that might even ruin this game.

hahahahaha, if they never fix this im going to pk the living **** out of everybody who dares call ADC Archosaur.
  • lumino
    lumino Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Its normally pretty difficult to actually LOL in real life whilst something you see or do happens on the internet.. you usually just chuckle in your head.. But when i read this
    "[...]correct name of "Ancient Dragon City". No offense, but Archosaur is umm, the worst city name I've ever heard of[...]" I did burst out laughing till i realised wsat i was doing!
    But i agree completely, one of the first things i did was check out the map when i started playing to see if there was any adjustmants, and seeing ancient dragon city labled as archosaur hit me deep down. One of the main citys in the game has a ridiculus name. I've been constantly thinking of a cool way to shorten it, like with 'ADC' but i realised it was impossible to cool up such a sucky name.

FIVE WORDS FOR YOU PWI

VERY VERY VERY VERY DISAPOINTED!
    .. infact i'm gona take it a stage further lol (<-- that was the chuckle in your head one)

My attempted petition in the link below haha
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=343161#post343161
  • mystic
    mystic Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yeah, Archosaur has to go. Our guild calls it dinosaur. Please fix that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Selfish blood runs through my veins. I gave up everything for fame.

Pandora - 8X Mage - Lost City (PvP - The only server worth playing.)
  • rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I actually love Arch's name. Reminds me of a fantasy port city. But seriously, I dont think anyone has a right to complain about the names unless they can read chinese and know what the orginal name was. I say stick with Arch's name, I think "Ancient Dragon City" is a rather lame name, glad to have it changed.

And with Pig iron, I think its very accurate. Raw iron is vague but Pig iron is not only especific but it is a type of processed iron that started in the chinese Zhou Dynasty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • kyou
    kyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    About Archosaur... Who ****' cares if it reminds you of a Pokemon. It's your own damn fault you watched Pokemon too much kids, kthx.
  • haiz
    haiz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    rena wrote: »
    I actually love Arch's name. Reminds me of a fantasy port city. But seriously, I dont think anyone has a right to complain about the names unless they can read chinese and know what the orginal name was. I say stick with Arch's name, I think "Ancient Dragon City" is a rather lame name, glad to have it changed.

And with Pig iron, I think its very accurate. Raw iron is vague but Pig iron is not only especific but it is a type of processed iron that started in the chinese Zhou Dynasty.

This game is all about Chinese history, you stated it yourself with pig iron being in the Zhou Dynasty. You say that, but you're saying a city with the word "Dragon" in it isn't Chinese at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archosaur

Archosaur is friggen Greek, not Chinese. The word makes me think of a dinosaur as well, not a pokemon or what the main city should be called in a game.
    In Perfect World, players can immerse themselves in a huge online world that must be explored to be believed. Deeply rooted in Chinese mythology, the game features...

Taken from the game features in this website. I rest my case and I think the Chinese developers would cry if they knew what you were calling their precious, beautiful city.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    They also used the name "Archosaur" in the Philippine's english version.

I'm wondering if this is not the exact translation of the chinese name for the city.

Otherwise, it's strange that two different version came up with the same translation.

(before you ask, other cities and territories names are different on the two versions)
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • kyou
    kyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Taken from the game features in this website. I rest my case and I think the Chinese developers would cry if they knew what you were calling their precious, beautiful
    city.

Emo boy :(
  • rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    This game is all about Chinese history, you stated it yourself with pig iron being in the Zhou Dynasty. You say that, but you're saying a city with the word "Dragon" in it isn't Chinese at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archosaur

Archosaur is friggen Greek, not Chinese. The word makes me think of a dinosaur as well, not a pokemon or what the main city should be called in a game.

Sorry if I phased my last post weird, I didnt mean I didnt think the original name wasnt the correct one, just to me it sounds weird. My comment before that I till mean, People can complain that they "think" the name is correct. Whats worse is what they comparing it to isnt the original names but the translated names from my-en thats famous for their bad translation. I believe unless you know what the original word is then its meaningless to be against it.

Thank you karm for that bit of information, its definitely a interesting fact. But doubt any admin would get back to us about it. They honestly cant tell us the reasoning for every translation they make.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • scarab
    scarab Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    keep stairway to heaven, I like it!