Question about stat progression.

primordial
primordial Posts: 3 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Venomancer
I've been doing as much research as I can to find the answer to my questions. Unfortunitly beyond doing all the testing myself there seems to be little to no information available for me to look at, so I come to you the more experienced player in hopes that you may know more then me. (Which wont be hard ;))

I have been reading these forums and looking at different possibilities for a venomancer stat build. I understand the idea behind light armor, mage, and heavy armor venomancers. There is a ton of information out on the first two and very little about the last.

In a nut shell my question is this. For pure damage reasons alone, not taking into consideration survivability, clicheness, uniqueness, etc, which is better for physical damage potential str or intellect?

At first glance, it seems to be a simple question. And at a second glance one that could be figured out if I knew more of the ins and outs of this game.

What I know so far:
-Intellect adds near ~1.6 physical damage per point based on the stats of weapon being equiped alone. (what it shows when you mouse over the weapon)
-Higher level weapons seem to scale better with strength. (i.e. weapons says 20-30 dmg but on character screen shows 34-44 dmg (14 point bonus do to str presumable) where as a weapon that does 10-15 dmg shows up at 21-26 dmg on the character screen (11 point bonus do to str presumable)
-I do not know this, but it seems to be true so far. Str scales with itself. The more you have the more each additional point is worth (If you can confirm this that would be great) (i.e. once u have 100 str the next point adds 2 physical dmg for an example not at all based in experience where as when u have 10 str the next point may not add any noticeble dmg increase)

What I'd like to know:
-Generalization of scaling if it exists in strength. Benchmarks if they exist of points where each point of str adds a variable degree of improvement. (Example: at 100-150 each point in str adds 2 physical dmg from 150-200 each point adds 3) There may be a forumla for this, which would suit me as well if someone knows it.
-If weapons scale with strength from level 1-max as it does in the lower levels. (Do better weapons make each point of strength stronger or not, is there a point where this peaks off or is it linear, etc.) (Does the trend continue)
-Does character level play a part in any of this?
-Does the skill melee mastery effect only weapon dmg shown on weapon or does it effect ur overall physical damage show on ur character screen? (If it doesn't effect both it effectively doubles the dmg potential of each point of intellect while not effecting each point of strength)

Sorry if this is a bit to much theory for a normal first post asking a simple question type deal, but all the simple questions are very simple to find answers for. :(

Thanks
Post edited by primordial on

Comments

• senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    You may want to try pm'ing Hell on the pw-my forums. Depending if he's willing to share or not, I think he's come close to figuring out quite a few of the damage formulas. Based purely off what he's said, and me having no knowledge of what formulas go into damage calculation, you should cap your int at 90 and use the level 30 gold magic sword for max physical damage.

I have no idea if there are benchmarks or not.

I _think_ that str multipliers aren't affected by the type of weapon you use. Formula should have some kind of direct relation to (str multiplier) * (equipment attack), with no consideration for the rank/level of the weapon.

If your character level is significantly higher or lower than your targets, damage does change. It might be something like, lower all resists by 1% for every level you are over your target, although I'm not really too sure on this.

Melee mastery only affects your weapon's contribution to your p.atk, not your total p.atk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • primordial
    edited August 2008
    I haven't looked into this aspect yet, but is the weapon speed effect the dmg gained from str? The staff is a quicker weapon and deals the same dmg as the sword, unless attackspeed is normalized while in werefox form. I don't have an account over there, but I will make one to see if he'd be willing to share his secrets. If he has come close to figureing out this information, i'd imagine he might be a bit reluctant. I know how to go about figuring this out myself, but the leg work would take weeks if not months.

Thanks
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    It only does if your enemy sits still and instead of using skills you use normal attacks. I personally haven't noticed a difference, but theoretically it should affect it. I spam two skills over and over in fox form though, and skills aren't affected by attack speed, so personally I don't look at attack speed when deciding which weapon to use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • primordial
    edited August 2008
    I assumed that to be true, the benefit would only be in pve then where u can more frequently get a chance to go toe to toe. The weapon variance on staff is better as well though. A highher minimum damage while retaining a high maximum damage equivalent and even slightly better then sword. Hit harder more frequently? :)