Bad Translation?

Options
didacus
didacus Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
Just my opinion but... don't you fee the translation is just horrible?

They say Northeast but it's Northwest. Wolfmaster but it's Wolfkin. And... "Fungoid", anybody?
The dialogues are obscure at best. And has anybody reached an "Unavoidable" barrier? Don't they mean "Out of Bounds"? Or "Terrain Limit"?

No offense but, I could almost bet the "Localisation Team" is nonexistent or has very poor English skills.

The plot seems very interesting and I really enjoyed the "50 year love quest" (could have used some special effects like ghosts and the Elder actually rejuvenating, though). But, I would have enjoyed it fully if the ghost had spoken with more lyricism and the Old man with much more longing (they should really play "Okami" for such references).

The game has great graphics, but all it lacks is equally impressive written content.
Hope I don't get wiped before August 27th for being picky about written content. :p
Post edited by didacus on

Comments

• mei
    mei Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I only got to like level 3 so far (haven't had much time to play).. but I've already run into a lot of changes from MY that I don't really understand. Some things could've been left the way they were but.. eh xD I guess I'm being too picky =x

Doesn't seem like there's any sort of "CB bugs/dialogue errors" forum to discuss this stuff in, either, unless I'm just being completely blind ><
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itch
    itch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    didacus wrote: »
    Hope I don't get wiped before August 27th for being picky about written content. :p

No but you get pk'd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

Granted, it's not perfect.

But for anyone having played on the malaysian engrish server, it's 10000% better.

Sometimes there, the NPC text made absolutely no sense. To the point most players simply did not read the NPC text at all, and only looked at their quest logs and GPS arrows.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • ambie
    ambie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    karmelia wrote: »
    Granted, it's not perfect.

But for anyone having played on the malaysian engrish server, it's 10000% better.

Sometimes there, the NPC text made absolutely no sense. To the point most players simply did not read the NPC text at all, and only looked at their quest logs and GPS arrows.

I still do that, not because i dont understand them.
    Because i'm Laaazzzyyyyyy.

*falls flat on my face like a slug*
  • fireblood
    fireblood Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    As far as the name changes go im not to worried everyone will get used to them in time, the reason why you feel that they are strange is because you have played the MY version of the game, however you can point out spelling mistakes im sure someone will fix them :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shizo
    shizo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You guys ever played MY before? Compare that text to this one and then complain -____-

Or stop playing this game and g t f o? Ppl are complaining too much about short stuff those days.

Or if you guys want stories to understand, go play WoW private servers or whatever isn't made by foreign companies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Shizo - Blademaster 9x - Conqueror

Quitted trolling the forums. PM me ingame, if want something

Sig by Sev.
  • bictor
    bictor Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    :mad: how the heck did ling yun turn into misty forest? :confused::confused:..
    79 WR - Oracle
  • shizo
    edited August 2008
    Options
    bictor wrote: »
    :mad: how the heck did ling yun turn into misty forest? :confused::confused:..

what? ...............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Sev.
  • kuailiang
    kuailiang Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Misty Forest Ring? That's original xD

And the PWI translation is WAY better than it is on MY-EN. There's no way we can complain about this unless you'r really, really picky.
  • shizo
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kuailiang wrote: »
    Misty Forest Ring? That's original xD

And the PWI translation is WAY better than it is on MY-EN. There's no way we can complain about this unless you'r really, really picky.

Oh well, the mobs name sucks badass. But i dont care at all and trying to have my fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Sev.
  • kuailiang
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Yeah, some mobs have rather strange names but they're just that, names. They could have kept all the MY-EN names for all I care...but translate everything else in better english so we know what's happening.
  • duckweeded
    duckweeded Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    They dun own pw-my so there is nothing to keep
    they translate directly from Chinese version sure gonna be different or just a copy cat
  • tdreamer
    tdreamer Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The translation isn't perfect by any stretch of imagination, yes, but compared to some other Asian MMOs I've played, it's a godsend.

Flyff, anyone? :)
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    tdreamer wrote: »
    The translation isn't perfect by any stretch of imagination, yes, but compared to some other Asian MMOs I've played, it's a godsend.

Flyff, anyone? :)

I've played much, much worse. Try Neo Steam for an example is shoddy Engrish.
  • ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    75% of names suck. 25% of names are actually rather good. The text overall is alright; it's much better than PW-MY. For having such decent translations, how did they end up with such lame names? It's kinda weird. I know that it's a long process to change all of the weird, quirky, and dumb names, but please at least try to change them. *coughVENOMANCERcough*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dtz
    dtz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    *shrug* If you find a spelling error, do what I do: write a bug report. Chances are, it'll get sent to the QA team and get fixed in a future patch.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild.
  • kao
    kao Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

They say Northeast but it's Northwest. Wolfmaster but it's Wolfkin. And... "Fungoid", anybody?
    The dialogues are obscure at best. And has anybody reached an "Unavoidable" barrier? Don't they mean "Out of Bounds"? Or "Terrain Limit"?

No offense but, I could almost bet the "Localisation Team" is nonexistent or has very poor English skills.

The plot seems very interesting and I really enjoyed the "50 year love quest" (could have used some special effects like ghosts and the Elder actually rejuvenating, though). But, I would have enjoyed it fully if the ghost had spoken with more lyricism and the Old man with much more longing (they should really play "Okami" for such references).

The game has great graphics, but all it lacks is equally impressive written content.

If you list the steps to reproduce the bugs they can fix it ease-peasy :)
  • dudemansir
    dudemansir Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Don't be a hypocrite. Your English is far worse than most of the text in the game...
  • kao
    edited August 2008
    Options
    dudemansir wrote: »
    Don't be a hypocrite. Your English is far worse than most of the text in the game...

Whoa, hey. Let's play nice. [Insert smiley-to-defuse-the-situation] xD
  • dudemansir
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kao wrote: »
    Whoa, hey. Let's play nice. [Insert smiley-to-defuse-the-situation] xD

The truth hurts... Nonetheless, it is the truth.
  • kyofubad99
    kyofubad99 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I don't see how you can bash the translation and praise the plot at the same time. Isn't that a bit contradictory?
  • didacus
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Congratulations! You've gone OFF TOPIC.
    I don't care about names, (but spelling can be easily fixed with a spell check program).
    What I care about is quality and congruency.

When I talked about names, I was referring to the names in the dialogue being different to those in the Quest Window. That IS misleading. Those who haven't played in the MY server (like yours truly) can't be expected to guess the real meaning of the dialogue/quest. I've played on other free MMORPGs where players are treated far worse and even that would be to lower the standards too much.

Why stop at: "it can be worse", when we can say: "it could be better"? After all, that's what BETA is all about.

I know, quality may be superficial, but it's what makes a game enjoyable.
  • didacus
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kyofubad99 wrote: »
    I don't see how you can bash the translation and praise the plot at the same time. Isn't that a bit contradictory?

Nope, ever heard of the literary terms FORM and CONTENT?
    One thing is what I barely made out from the poor translation and quite another, the poor translation per se.

Give me some info and an ounce of imagination, and I'll rebuild the plot.
    Dunno, maybe I used too much imagination. :p

But, I would have enjoyed the plot EVEN MORE if the dialogues had had their own share of drama and lyricsm.
    The current dialogues are a bit flat so... :rolleyes:
  • kuailiang
    edited August 2008
    Options
    There are some quest-breaking references, that's a fact. Like it says kill 20 while you have to kill 5. Go see the Elder while you really have to go see the Merchant.

Could be worse. Could be better. Either way, it's looking at a bright side. They could revise the entire dialogs for the OB, that'd be nice since everything seems so to-the-point xD
  • dudemansir
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Congratulations! You've gone OFF TOPIC.
    I don't care about names, (but spelling can be easily fixed with a spell check program).
    What I care about is quality and congruency.

When I talked about names, I was referring to the names in the dialogue being different to those in the Quest Window. That IS misleading. Those who haven't played in the MY server (like yours truly) can't be expected to guess the real meaning of the dialogue/quest. I've played on other free MMORPGs where players are treated far worse and even that would be to lower the standards too much.

Why stop at: "it can be worse", when we can say: "it could be better"? After all, that's what BETA is all about.

I know, quality may be superficial, but it's what makes a game enjoyable.

Expect these problems in beta and expect them to get fixed. If you want to see things get fixed, send in bug reports instead of complaining on the forums.
  • didacus
    edited August 2008
    Options
    dudemansir wrote: »
    Expect these problems in beta and expect them to get fixed. If you want to see things get fixed, send in bug reports instead of complaining on the forums.

That's the problem. There are too many mistakes and incongruousness for me to tackle alone.
    I'd rather ask to be employed as part of the translation/localization team to thoroughly review the written content.
    It's too much work to do for free, you know. Even if I kinda agreed to work for free when I signed up for CB.

And, why shouldn't I complain? IT'S CLOSED BETA.
    Did you expect everybody to wear a smile and tell the PW team that everything is running smoothly?

Don't get me wrong people. I think of this game as a diamond in the rough.
    I know it has many imperfections on the outside.
    But, I also know that, if polished, it could become a legendary jewel.

The game needs to be polished! :D
  • kao
    edited August 2008
    Options
    That's the problem. There are too many mistakes and incongruousness for me to tackle alone.
    I'd rather ask to be employed as part of the translation/localization team to thoroughly review the written content.
    It's too much work to do for free, you know. Even if I kinda agreed to work for free when I signed up for CB.

And, why shouldn't I complain? IT'S CLOSED BETA.
    Did you expect everybody to wear a smile and tell the PW team that everything is running smoothly?

Don't get me wrong people. I think of this game as a diamond in the rough.
    I know it has many imperfections on the outside.
    But, I also know that, if polished, it could become a legendary jewel.

The game needs to be polished! :D

You can turn a complaint into a report nice and easy. Polish is priority 1, but like you said: there's too much text to perfect the localization, even among 10 people, so everyone's eyes and ears in the beta reporting fixable problems would be much appreciated ;)
  • didacus
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Now that I come to think of it... how would they react if I told them:
    Hey, the dialogues suck. Try these better:
    Disembodied voice:
    Who dares disturb my uneasy rest?! Are you accursed Ling? (can't remember the real name now)
    Even in death I shall haunt you 'till the end of time!
    Your offspring shall pay in blood and your soul shall know no mercy!
    Reply:
    I am not Ling. But why, fair maiden, do you hold such a grudge? (Shinto reference)
    How did he wrong you?

And so on...?
  • dudemansir
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Now that I come to think of it... how would they react if I told them:
    Hey, the dialogues suck. Try these better:

And so on...?

It's worth a try, but the change will be at their discretion.
  • kao
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The QA team is charged with correcting the major text and grammar issues throughout the game so if they find something that is technically correct, they know they can move on to bigger problems that are worth their precious time. That being said, if the QA team sees that the public is not happy with certain questionable text (because they submitted a bug report), I imagine any bug would be welcomed with open arms and put on the list of bugs to fix. Just omit the sarcastic remarks and be concise to streamline the process.

Here's a very helpful guideline posted by darthpanda regarding the bug reporting format:
    http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=20261

Cheers,

Kao