Is this another grindfest?

oryza
oryza Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
like every other mmo that's come out of asia since ever.
Post edited by oryza on

Comments

• roxy
    roxy Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Um, of course most mmorpg games have some sort of grind to it.
    This game is pretty quest-based in my opinion though. You earn most exp through completing quests.
    6to4uv.jpg

To the world, you may be one person
    But to one person, you may be the world
  • enigma32
    enigma32 Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    You can get to lvl 100 w/o grinding (Other than quest killing ) once. Just depends how quick you want to get there.
  • brando
    brando Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Yea this seems more of like a legit MMO such as:
    WoW
    LotRO
    SWG
    etc...

Hopefully it doesnt turn out as a grindfest...
    WoW - CoH - LotRO
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    oryza wrote: »
    like every other mmo that's come out of asia since ever.

Korean MMO's: Grindfest
    Chinese MMO's: Fun and fun and fun and fun.

:p

sealed~
  • f4ding
    f4ding Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    mostly quests till level 40 then there is grinding and in PW-MY you get basically the same amount of exp per kill at lvl 70 as you do at lvl 30 so it cant be annoying at times
  • desirai
    desirai Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I don't understand why people whine so much about exping. I think it's fun. *shrug*
  • sanscosm
    sanscosm Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Well there is a limit to how much you grind until it's just obnoxiously repetitive. :/
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    sanscosm wrote: »
    Well there is a limit to how much you grind until it's just obnoxiously repetitive. :/

Of course, and once you reach your limit you can:

1. PK
    2. Hang out with friends
    3. TW
    4. Dungeon Raids
    5. Make PW Videos
    6. Make PW Guides
    7. Merchant *Buy Low Sell High*
    8. PvP
    9. Crafting
    10. Create your own Fashion Items
    11. Have Fun

sealed~
  • tatakairyu
    tatakairyu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    sealed wrote: »
    sealed~

I'm against that :mad:.
  • desirai
    desirai Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    sanscosm wrote: »

Um, that's if you try to do it for 6+ hours every single day. It's not a requirement..
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    tatakairyu wrote: »

Well you have to make money somehow >.>

sealed~
  • tatakairyu
    edited August 2008
    There are other ways to make money and that might be the easiest but if lots of people do it, it ruins the economy. That's why I'm against it.
  • saphric
    saphric Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Ever shop at wal-mart? Or any store in the United States for that matter?

Reality check: People don't make their own goods to sell, they buy it for a lower price and then sell for a higher price.

It doesn't ruin the economy, it CREATES an economy.
  • kinetikop
    kinetikop Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    saphric wrote: »

Reality check: People don't make their own goods to sell, they buy it for a lower price and then sell for a higher price.

That made me LOL, it is true the economy is based on a buy-low sell-high basis. Why do some people research things on the internet before they buy them, and why else do you "shop arround" you are always looking for the lowest price, even if you don't plan to resell it. If businesses didn't do this they wouldn't be able to give you a pay check at the end of the pay period and the economy would quickly fail.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • palidore
    palidore Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    desirai wrote: »
    Um, that's if you try to do it for 6+ hours every single day. It's not a requirement..

Or if you're like me and have been playing mmos for years and have played basically every decent one on the market X.X .
    Of course, and once you reach your limit you can:

1. PK
    2. Hang out with friends
    3. TW
    4. Dungeon Raids
    5. Make PW Videos
    6. Make PW Guides
    8. PvP
    9. Crafting
    10. Create your own Fashion Items
    11. Have Fun

1. Falls under PvP (number 8).
    2. That's all good, but shouldn't be listed as a main source of fun.
    3. Falls under PvP (number 8).
    5. Not a part of the game and again shouldn't be on that list.
    6. ^Same as above^
    7. I guess you could list it, though you can't really have fun or progress in the game just by merchanting all day.
    9. Crafting is even more monotonous than grinding
    11. No point in numbering this as part of the list.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but you kind of went for quantity of quality with that list, making it seem like there's a lot to be done for fun in PW than there actually is. Only a couple of your suggestions really apply.

-PvP, which you can't be as effective in unless you, go figure, grind to high levels.
    -Questing, which as generic as lots of the quests are, can provide a distraction from flat out grinding
    -Dungeon raiding
  • tatakairyu
    edited August 2008
    saphric wrote: »

Comparing a store in real life to the market in this game is completely **** considering someone won't buy everything up in a store whereas in game people can do it and actually do it a lot.

Example
    Person A buys out Item x through all other vendors because he has enough money to do so. he resells at a higher price and buys out item x everytime a vendor tries to sell it making it so that he has no competition. That would be a Monopoly as in real life has laws and what not to stop it to a certain extent.

But it's a game, No one will be able to stop player A from buying item x so the only choice other players would have is to buy it from player A or to get item x by themselves.

There are people who have enough money to buy from player A even though his prices are high they still buy from him anyway, others also do this because they are desperate or lazy whatever the reason may be, buy from him. Once other players find out Player A has been able to sell item x for a high price, they will copy him because if he sells it at that price, why wouldn't they be able to? Making item x jump up in price.

Rinse and repeat till you have only the rich players being able to afford item x without going broke.

In game, the people in control of the economy are those really high levels who make tons of money but have nothing to spend it on since they usually have their gears set. Those are a FEW people who control the economy not like the majority in real life.

That would be an extreme case of it but it does happen.

Edit: Forgot this thread was about grinding, my bad for going off topic... What can I say, I like going off topic heh.
  • ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I think the word "grind" needs to be defined before this debate can be settled. People who have played Perfect World for a while and like it define grinding as any level-building outside of missions. Many people from outside PW, however, define grinding as any time someone must kill a lot of enemies to progress in the game, whether in a mission or not. The confusion caused by this is probably what makes this debate come up every time new people come to PW.

For those who think that grinding is simply killing a lot of enemies to progress, then this game is a grindfest by your definition. For those who think that grinding is killing enemies outside of quests, then this is not a grindfest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • magoo
    magoo Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    most mmo's are >_>
    thats what rl is there for ,
    to give us something to do when we are fed up with grinding.

come to think of it
    Life is alot like Grinding.
    Go to work to level up your lifestyle.
    well my work is at least.

I want rl dungeon raids.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • monkeybone
    monkeybone Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    palidore wrote: »
    1. Falls under PvP (number 8).
    3. Falls under PvP (number 8).

pk- player kill (attack someone who doesn't expect/agreed it)
    pvp - like a duel but with a chance of droping items (normaly a 1 vs 1 and both agreed to it)
    tw - guild vs guild war (pvp on a much higher scale) - chance to earn much money
    pk, pvp and tw are not the same.
  • ranthe
    ranthe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    monkeybone wrote: »
    pvp - like a duel but with a chance of droping items (normaly a 1 vs 1 and both agreed to it)
    tw - guild vs guild war (pvp on a much higher scale) - chance to earn much money

They all fall into the broad "PvP" category though, which is what he was saying
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alazar
    alazar Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    It IS a grind fest. I wont say But this or but that because bottom line it IS a total grind fest, more than half of the "Quests" you do are grinding monsters. the few that show variety is usually take item to NPC or collect flowers or wood for X npc, But bottom line its a very big grind fest. There are no Free 2 play mmorpg games that are not a grind fest...(This is only free 2 play by name to top it off) except maybe that 1 sandbox game people talk about..which i can't remember the name.. or MUD's
  • ranthe
    edited August 2008
    all MMORPGs are grindfests. That's a simple fact of the matter. If they werent they wouldnt be fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alazar
    alazar Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    There are mmorpgs that are not a grind fest. Guild wars story driven mmorpg you never grind only 20 levels, but after level 20 the story keeps going long after your level is maxed. Guild wars is also free 2 play but you buy the box sets. And its got over 3million players. (can get max level in a day or 2)

Lord of the rings online is a really fast leveling game with a verry little % of quests focused on grind, mostly focused on the story as well as helping out NPCs but its not all about killing its about exploring for the most part.

those are 2 off the top of my head there is a few more out there you just have to look and have to be willing to most likely stick with a subscription fee. I personally hate grindy game sas well. Im a big fan of open world explore games, Thats why Im so into Guild wars. & FFXI FFXI is a grind but there is such a big world to explore and so much story stuff to do that I dont even notice.
  • ranthe
    edited August 2008
    i played guild wars for 2 days, found out that level maxed at 20, and never touched it again. LotR online never sold me very well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hong
    hong Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    PW is like -
    PK
    Event Contents
    PK
    PK
    PVP
    PK
    TW
    PK
    PK
    PK
    ID

Basically, - Quest grind, exp grind, do tons of dungeons, get geared, pk, pvp, tw, side contents everyday anything. You'll get bored without a guild that's all I know. IMO great MMORPG=) You have so much to do, it's awesome. It's like... another game of RO, which is what I've been looking for. HOPEFULLY the CS/IM will be cheap then I think this game will be for me for over a year. Probably wont even bother playing Aion or any other MMORPG.
    RoC.
  • palidore
    palidore Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    monkeybone wrote: »

PvP directly translates to player versus player, which all of the aforementioned (PKing, Dueling, and TW) fall into. Separately they wouldn't be able to attract a lot of new players, but together they do. That's why I said they shouldn't all be listed separately.
    i played guild wars for 2 days, found out that level maxed at 20, and never touched it again. LotR online never sold me very well.

You shouldn't think in such a linear way, because you're missing out on a great game as a result. Guild Wars isn't about leveling up AT ALL. You can get to 20 in just a few days, as it's not even a big aspect of the game. Leveling up just serves as a short-term goal, and generally as an introduction to whatever class you're playing, meaning it's just a way for a player to test the waters before diving in. What Guild Wars is about is highly interesting lore, cinematic story oriented missions with interesting stories and memorable characters and voice acting, pvp arenas in Prophecies, Alliance Battles in Factions, Heroes in Nightfall, and dungeon running and cultural minigames in Eye of the North.

Seeing as there's no subscription fees for Guild Wars, I'd recommend trying the game again, but just seeing it in a different light next time. Don't think about it as a beeline grindfest rush to the level cap, where you won't get to the real fun until you're the highest level, but as a fun experience all the way through.
  • greystok
    greystok Posts: 62
    edited August 2008
    Mmorpg's are by nature a Rpg.Many people seem to not realize that at the heart of the game is a game engine designed for grinding.Yes rpg's are about exploring as well but they have always been about making your charactor stronger thru leveling be it thru grinding,questing,merchanting,crafting or whatever they decide to call the new twist on the grind.

Somewhere thru the years Mmorpg players have slowly been taken over by MMOFPS players that expect rpg's to be a PVP or PK fest.There are still players around that actually like to grind we are just shuned for it and most refer to us as carebears.

Perfect World as well as every other Mmorpg on the market has been effected by this mixing of playstyles to where it has become commonplace for a good % of the population of a mmorpg to be players that only want to PVP,PK,Grief,Duel,KS,or otherwise try to showoff how strong they are.

While I am a very very long time player of rpg's, I also liked all types of games but as I grew up the "Fantasy world" of Swords and magic and leveling a Avatar among my friends or online companions is what became my only gaming habit.

This is not to say that I dislike PVP in all it's forms as it does add to the "fantasy", if you stop to think about it........

I just prefer to have control over said fantasy. Where I get to decide if my "fantasy" of the day
    is going to be about my Avatar's Advancement or if it is about a war with other "heroes" that have either decided to follow an "Evil" path to fight against the "light" or vice versa.

When it is all said and done though no matter if you are a carebear or a PVP player.....
    These are still rpg's at heart and by nature the more grinding invloved the better as the game will last that much longer.IMHO it's about the jurney and the memories of the fun you had playing with friends....or enemies. Why try to rush something that was meant to take forever just to say you got there first.....

If you dont understand this then a MMOrpg isnt honestly the type of game for you to be playing.

This isnt a flame as I do not get into that sort of thing.It's just my opion on a subject that really shouldnt be a issue for this type of game.

To all my fellow "carebears" hang in there we are the ancestors of this type of game before PVP was even an option.

To all my fellow PVP players,in all its formats....I Welcome you to my fantasy as you do bring about many many fond memories of adrenaline fueled life and death battles.

In Closing to answer your question.....YES PW is a grindfest its a rpg at heart if you don't like grinding then my I ask kind player why did you choose to play a game style that is designed for players that like to grind be it for the joy of leveling in a fantasy or to be able to showoff your power.......;)
  • bg7
    bg7 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    tatakairyu wrote: »

And I am for it...especially since I hate doing production skills in MMOs.
  • orrlyon
    orrlyon Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Games with no levels at all that give it's players the ability to shape the world around them exist and that is where the argument of all mmorpg = level grindfest falls short.

It's a shame so many never got to experience the freedom players had in the early years of UO and other similar games. When was the last time one of these F2P level grinders let you skin a bear, pluck feathers off a bird, mine a cave etc. for essential resources? When was the last time you could stake claim to a piece of land and place a house almost anywhere in an open world and having to remember to lock the doors to protect valuables? Perhaps you prefer to kill the unsuspecting owner of said house, take his keys, and loot whatever you could take with you. Adventurer? No problem. Grab a ship and sail the seas to dig up treasure on some remote island or venture deep inside vast dungeons that aren't instanced. You could even write a story in some book and leave a copy in every chest and bookshelf in town. The possibilities were almost endless. In a game like this the players themselves mold the world and not have to rely on some content patch 6 months down the road.

Sorry for ranting. Perfect World is a lovely game, I wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy it, but a part of me still clings onto the past and hopes the future may bring something that can help me experience it all over again.
  • kuailiang
    kuailiang Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    orrlyon wrote: »
    It's a shame so many never got to experience the freedom players had in the early years of UO and other similar games. When was the last time one of these F2P level grinders let you skin a bear, pluck feathers off a bird, mine a cave etc. for essential resources? When was the last time you could stake claim to a piece of land and place a house almost anywhere in an open world and having to remember to lock the doors to protect valuables? Perhaps you prefer to kill the unsuspecting owner of said house, take his keys, and loot whatever you could take with you. Adventurer? No problem. Grab a ship and sail the seas to dig up treasure on some remote island or venture deep inside vast dungeons that aren't instanced. You could even write a story in some book and leave a copy in every chest and bookshelf in town. The possibilities were almost endless. In a game like this the players themselves mold the world and not have to rely on some content patch 6 months down the road.

I had the chance to play both early and late UO. Lousy graphics at this time, decent at that time. The customisation was almost endless and you truly could shape the world instead of it being a huge static map. I miss it.

PW is a great game but if grind means killing mobs in any way, shape or form then yes, it is one huge grind fest.