Weird localization and bug with guild slogan

Options
tiene
tiene Posts: 26 Arc User
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
Okay, I gotta say it. The overall localization is quite good with proper English and everything.

But what the heck is going on with the guild ranks?

Left side is the word used in this localization, right side is Malaysian wording.

Leader = Guild Master
Director = Guild Vice Master
Marshal = Guild Commander
Executor = Guild Captain
Commissioner = Guild Member

Is this version purposely translate things to be different from MY version even though the word doesn't make sense at all? If it's not broken, please do not fix it.

The guild slogan is still broken. It is still restricted with A-Z and 0-9. No spaces, slahesh, commas, periods, etc... are allowed. Please fix this.

And please, change the guild ranks back to normal... so it can make some sense.

Thank you.
Post edited by tiene on

Comments

• lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    wow.. thats pretty EWW

Leader is ok but then director and marshal.. one is a business term and the other military :S

Executor makes me think more of executioner ><
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    tiene wrote: »
    Okay, I gotta say it. The overall localization is quite good with proper English and everything.

But what the heck is going on with the guild ranks?

Left side is the word used in this localization, right side is Malaysian wording.

Leader = Guild Master
    Director = Guild Vice Master
    Marshal = Guild Commander
    Executor = Guild Captain
    Commissioner = Guild Member

Is this version purposely translate things to be different from MY version even though the word doesn't make sense at all? If it's not broken, please do not fix it.

The guild slogan is still broken. It is still restricted with A-Z and 0-9. No spaces, slahesh, commas, periods, etc... are allowed. Please fix this.

And please, change the guild ranks back to normal... so it can make some sense.

Thank you.

Well, the didn't re-translate the game from the PW-MY version. Why does it have to be the same?
  • tiene
    tiene Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'm not saying that it has to be the same... it has to MAKE SENSE.

What the heck is a director, marshal, executor?

director = company business?
    marshal = police?
    executor = executioner? executive? again business?
    comissioner = ???

Use common words please, words that make sense for the players. Especially use words that is common in MMORPG world.

The company promises good localization and all; but this is not good localization. These words do not reflect a MMORPG game.
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Hypnos I'm seeing a trend here in your posts of "its a new ver so it has to be different" Which isn't wrong but you get changes thats good and changes thats bad.

If you intend to change something, then change it for the better. Using obscure business/police terms in a mmorpg just doesnt make sense. The ranks should at least be from the same "group" its like going carrot /peas/potatoes/ky jelly, obv the ky doesnt really fit the foodgroup theme so well?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • quynh
    quynh Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    OMG, I didn't know what you guys talking about until I joined a guild. This is the worst implementation ever.
    I have a feeling that the localization team never played a RPG game before.
  • rev
    rev Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Here's a good guild title list

Master
    Commander
    Captain
    Officer
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

Phase 1 Dungeon Design Contest Winner!
    Entry: Hall of Forsaken Souls, Twas fun to design.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'll look into this for you all.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • ranthe
    ranthe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    well, the guild rank names dont mean much to myself, so long as i know what order they go in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • june
    june Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

Thank you a lot! That will be really really appreciated!
    Please change it to any more consistent hierarchy. As long as it is consistent, it doesn't matter if it is military, civilian, business, etc.
    The current Faction hierarchy doesn't really make sense...

Business:
    Guild = Company
    Guild Master = Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
    Vice Guild Master = Chief Financial Officer (CFO) or Chief Operations Officer (COO)
    Commander = Director or Trustee
    Captain = Manager
    Member = Shareholder

Governmental:
    Guild = State/Nation
    Guild Master = President or Prime Minister or Premier or Sultan
    Vice Guild Master = Vice President or Chancellor or Vizier or Deputy Prime Minister
    Commander = Secretary or Minister, etc.
    Captain = Senator or Representative, etc.
    Member = Citizen, Common, Proleteriat, etc.

Medieval:
    Guild = Kingdom
    Guild Master = King/Queen
    Vice Guild Master = Duke/Duchess
    Commander = Lord/Lady
    Captain = Knight/Dame

or military ranks, but there are so many options there....
    we could do lawyers, judges, medical, etc. too!
  • ranthe
    edited August 2008
    Options
    stick with faction, but make the titles consistent
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Well to solve this problem it be nice to be able to edit and add/remove your own ranks. I also had a issue with the letter restrictings on Guild name and title. I just find them far to short.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • ranthe
    edited August 2008
    Options
    the add/remove/self titled ranks were the only cool part about the guild system in WoW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Adriazirma - Sanctuary
    Adriazirma - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I've just created the guild and I'm a bit disappointed. ;-) Max 9 letters? Maybe Chinese letters were fine. ;-) Slogan, right, still broken - and ranks are very very strange indeed. Member should be the lowest one. It's common rank so why to use word out of basic English for it?

I completely second to what was said in the first post.
  • zyviren
    zyviren Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Um, we could go religious?

God
    Demigod
    Daemon
    Servant
    and for the normals, Minion!

Or
    Faction Ruler / Emperor
    Co-Ruler / Co-Emperor
    Lord
    Duke
    Peon / Peasant

I dunno, I liked the concept of being able to make your own. 2moons had this. Heck, their guild screen was perfect. You could type a freaking book in there, and anything goes too. I say copy that. And while we are copying things, RF Online's 'Auction House' system is perfect. Better than boards, boxes, kitty cats, or any other weird thing lagging me out... Making my frame rate drop to 2... I hate to say it, but they RUINED archosaur worse here than they ever did in PYMY. I can't even walk in this city at all. It takes 10 minutes to get from one side of the road to the other, and even if i was flying over it doesn't matter.

Anyway, back to the game.
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options

Thanks a bunch. I rather like the customizable options that people have mentioned as well. Perhaps that idea could be for a future update? It's a small bit of content that would make many people quite happy. Based on what I know of coding and such, I don't believe it would be all that hard.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • sile
    sile Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    ...I actually like the rank titles. :x They're not boring.
    But it WOULD be pretty cool to have customizable rank titles. Or maybe, they could have preset rank title themes to pick from (like, as mentioned, Medieval or Religious).

Another thing that would be pretty cool is the customization of rank powers. But I won't hold my breath.
  • Bestwiz - Heavens Tear
    Bestwiz - Heavens Tear Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Well i think there shud be guild commands and other way for leader to change rank names and so on so he can come up with the perfect rank name.
    Dont MEss with me I'm da Best
    b:laughb:chuckleb:victoryb:angryb:byeb:cute
  • ultima999
    ultima999 Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options

Wow, GM darthpanda said that on Aug 20, 2008. That is over 2 months ago... yet no change.

If bugs that have been looked into, well over 2 months, and not yet fixed; I wonder when the rest of the bugs that GMs haven't had looked at, will be fixed.
  • Kelovar - Heavens Tear
    Kelovar - Heavens Tear Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Even after that time, it still bothers me too ^^;; This thread is old, but the topic is still up to date, especially since we didn't get any followup from Panda or another GM concerning this.

The guild slogan bug is annoying too ^^; I mean, when did writing with no spaces became common in USA (and in most of the world) ?

Having the possibility to customize guild ranks would be the best, like bestwiz said. They really don't make any sense ^^; If you don't allow that at least put something logical please ^^"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Through the darkest of nights, we shall shine brightly, revealing the path to both friendship and glory ~
    Kelovar, Radiance executor

Thanks ForsakenX for the sig *_*
  • Specgoesemo - Lost City
    Specgoesemo - Lost City Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Has no one in this game learned that when someone says they will look into something, or consider something, that means they will simply ignore the fact that it was ever complained about OR remove the complained aspect from the game completely, opposed to fixing it like any other game would?

I'm putting in my 2...year...notice, when GW2 comes out BYEBYE! And I'm sure I'll be seeing many of you there ;]
  • kinky420
    kinky420 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    If they are going to use thisd system it would be nice to know what each one is . An the fnctions of each. I looked at the faction items on the web site an there is NO explination of which is which. Not all of us area rocket enginer. It would be nice to know what ones come just under the GM an what ones are just lower levels. An I do agree with alot of complaints on the slogan issues an 4 letter titles? What's up with that ya know?
  • Renara - Heavens Tear
    Renara - Heavens Tear Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    IhaventnoticedanyguildsloganbugWhatareyoupeopletalkingabout

b:laugh
    "Sorry, we don't need a barbarian. We have a frog."