L16 and done with it, detailed opinion as a mmorpg veteran :)

haradeaz
haradeaz Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
I have done so many mmorpgs (free, F2P and P2P) that I lost count so I can compare very nicely.
That being said I am a real questwhore. The thing is, the feeling of grinding is very early in the game lvl 6. (I went till lvl 16)

The PvE isnt worth mentioning. Kill 10 mobs / kill 20 mobs
there were precise 3 quests of the 100 I have done that were doing something else but come on :D
Its a grind joke

Anyhow, I know some peeps love the grind. My advice you liked RF Online ? You will love Perfect World :)

1 game is worth mentioning F2P = Atlantica Online ( its a mmorpg with a FF battle style system, quests are not bad, but you never have the feeling you are grinding + a lot of strategy involved)

If we stay with the Korean games then I would say the next P2P mmorpg that will become a hit is Aion! Just watch the movies and be addicted :)

That was it. Have fun in PW and maybe I see you peeps in Atlantica Online (I am officier of a decent organised guild "The monkeys")

Cheers ;)
Post edited by haradeaz on

Comments

• greystok
    greystok Posts: 62
    edited August 2008
    Sorry Pw wasnt for you hope you enjoy your travels.:confused:
  • zelgadis
    zelgadis Posts: 3
    edited August 2008
    RF online sucks, and I cant imagine that game to be p2p nor why people even play it. PW is no where close to grind fest, if you say that you are an mmo veteran then you have no idea what grind fest is. Lest look at SRO, at level ~10 you need to kill hundreds of creeps just complete one quest, and once you do it, you have to go and kill few hundred more just because the quest item drop rate is slow. Oh yea if killing 10 or 20 mobs is grinding for you, then there is one game where there are no grinding quest, if fact you dont even need to kill anything other than a boss from time to time, its called GW.
  • haradeaz
    edited August 2008
    Zelgadis first read my thread carefully then respond thx :)
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Dude I'm not sure what game u where playing but here is my take.

I started playing 10min after the server opened and ended up lvl 1912h later, in this time the "grinding" I did was about 15-20mins. The rest was pure questing. I would like you to provide me some examples of mmo's out there where you dont have to "grind" like you said.

I'm thinking you're supposed to be playing FPS games and accidently got lost in MMO world.

PW has more to offer in terms of gameplay/customization/crafting/fashion/flying/etc etc than ANY other mmo out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • zelgadis
    zelgadis Posts: 3
    edited August 2008
    haradeaz wrote: »
    Zelgadis first read my thread carefully then respond thx :)

Ok, let me refrase,

if pw questing doesnt worth mentionning
    A) Because there is no grinding: then play SRO, you will get lots of it there.
    B) Because the quests are too short and too fast to do: then play gw, they have nice 3-4 hours quests that you can do. And guess what , every single one of them takes a few hours to do.

I like pw questing because its balance on time and grinding, I dont like to spend my whole day doing a single quest or grind for it for every single quest. I dont mind if they come from time to time.
  • seanie
    seanie Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Rappelz is a grind feast kill more then 100 monsters to get 1 level and after level 50, cant solo anything cause xp for soloing is garbage. Aion online going p2p=epic fail.
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    I have done so many mmorpgs (free, F2P and P2P) that I lost count so I can compare very nicely.
    That being said I am a real questwhore. The thing is, the feeling of grinding is very early in the game lvl 6. (I went till lvl 16)

there were precise 3 quests of the 100 I have done that were doing something else but come on :D
    Its a grind joke

Anyhow, I know some peeps love the grind. My advice you liked RF Online ? You will love Perfect World :)

1 game is worth mentioning F2P = Atlantica Online ( its a mmorpg with a FF battle style system, quests are not bad, but you never have the feeling you are grinding + a lot of strategy involved)

If we stay with the Korean games then I would say the next P2P mmorpg that will become a hit is Aion! Just watch the movies and be addicted :)

That was it. Have fun in PW and maybe I see you peeps in Atlantica Online (I am officier of a decent organised guild "The monkeys")

Cheers ;)

Apparently you are not a mmorpg veteran,
    in PW I would say lvl 1-29 is hardest to lvl, you can get from lvl 29-59 in the same speed you go from lvl 1-29
    After lvl 29 it is 5x times easier to lvl once you start getting your weapon based skills, and after lvl 59 it gets funner with doom skills, and once you choose Sage or Demon, well thats the Epic Fun of PW right their.

sealed~
  • kaeriin
    kaeriin Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    sealed wrote: »
    Apparently you are not a mmorpg veteran,
    in PW I would say lvl 1-29 is hardest to lvl, you can get from lvl 29-59 in the same speed you go from lvl 1-29
    After lvl 29 it is 5x times easier to lvl once you start getting your weapon based skills, and after lvl 59 it gets funner with doom skills, and once you choose Sage or Demon, well thats the Epic Fun of PW right their.

sealed~

Completely wrong, or else explain how I got to lvl 30 last night? ^^ (First 30 on lost city btw :cool:)

lvl 29-59 wont take less than 2 weeks I assume, seeing as how you really have to grind/do DQs/do FBs
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    I dont think you are the first lvl 30 in Lost City, I seen some other lvl 30's, and I hit 31 yesterday also.

sealed~
  • saphric
    saphric Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    kaeriin wrote: »
    Completely wrong, or else explain how I got to lvl 30 last night? ^^ (First 30 on lost city btw :cool:)

The fact that you were the first 30 on lost city explains it all...
  • vem0m
    vem0m Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008

Its a grind joke

Cheers ;)

Did this sound like an advertisement to anyone but myself?
  • haradeaz
    edited August 2008
    So basicly sealed what you are saying is this:

I am not a veteran because I didnt lvl as fast as you did ? :)
    And this response is totally beside the point I wanted to make.
    Anyhow, I didnt want to offend anyone and you could at least respect other opinions

There is a lot of grinding in PW.
    Also I am purely talking about the PvE, nothing else

questing in PW is not what I call questing. Quests with more or less a decent storyline with a devercity of actions.

In PW this is:
    - quest 1 : kill 10 mobs
    - quest 2: kill 20 mobs
    - quest 3: kill 10 mobs
    - quest 4: kill 20 mobs
    - quest 5: kill 10 mobs
    - quest 6: kill 10 mobs

etc etc

If this is your idea of decent PvE then you dont have a clue how good PvE can really be :)

lipe124 plz I hope you were not serious ^^

One little thing, its very easy to say " xxx is not good ", "xxx is bad" without ectually telling WHY you think that :)

a very typical behavior is also if some person doesn't agree with an opinion of a poster, he just tell him to bugger off and go play another game

And to end my story: some have replied in a mature way like greystock. But you can see very clearly that some reactions are rather immature duo to their age :) I wanna thank the people that helped me on the forum and in game and hope you all have a great time ^^ ( this was not intended as sarcasm )

Cheers

Hara
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    So like I said before, please give me some examples of mmo's where quests are NOT one of the following:

Kill X monnsters
    Bring X items to npc
    Deliver X item to X npc
    Kill X boss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    So basicly sealed what you are saying is this:

I am not a veteran because I didnt lvl as fast as you did ? :)
    And this response is totally beside the point I wanted to make.
    Anyhow, I didnt want to offend anyone and you could at least respect other opinions

There is a lot of grinding in PW.
    Also I am purely talking about the PvE, nothing else

questing in PW is not what I call questing. Quests with more or less a decent storyline with a devercity of actions.

In PW this is:
    - quest 1 : kill 10 mobs
    - quest 2: kill 20 mobs
    - quest 3: kill 10 mobs
    - quest 4: kill 20 mobs
    - quest 5: kill 10 mobs
    - quest 6: kill 10 mobs

etc etc

If this is your idea of decent PvE then you dont have a clue how good PvE can really be :)

lipe124 plz I hope you were not serious ^^

One little thing, its very easy to say " xxx is not good ", "xxx is bad" without ectually telling WHY you think that :)

a very typical behavior is also if some person doesn't agree with an opinion of a poster, he just tell him to bugger off and go play another game

And to end my story: some have replied in a mature way like greystock. But you can see very clearly that some reactions are rather immature duo to their age :) I wanna thank the people that helped me on the forum and in game and hope you all have a great time ^^ ( this was not intended as sarcasm )

Cheers

Hara

Ehh..... Ok
    Please explain what a good PvE in a game is then.
    Considering the fact that you didn't have your "AOE" skills yet, of course PvE will be boring till then, and later Partys are fun, make up new strategy's for PvE party's and dungeons.
    Even though the quests might be "Kill this x many times, kill that y many times* the rewards are worth it, its not like in Silkroad Online where you have to kill 500 Monsters to get 2% exp as a reward.

sealed~
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    My girlfriend hates me. Please go kill 20 wolves and report back.

P.S. I liked the jump quests. Those were nice and I wouldn't have minded more of them. There are also other types of quests you can do, like protect an npc for X amount of time (which is currently only in Godless Valley as part of a full scale dungeon) or the Werefox taming skill quest in which you have to lay traps and lure the deity beast into the middle of the trap (this could have been made so much better if the beast didn't auto spawn in the middle of the traps and just go away after a few seconds =.=). More of these and less of the "KILL EVERYTHIGN BLAGHAHRGH" would be better.

P.P.S. / Edit:
    sealed wrote: »
    Ehh..... Ok
    Please explain what a good PvE in a game is then.
    Considering the fact that you didn't have your "AOE" skills yet, of course PvE will be boring till then, and later Partys are fun, make up new strategy's for PvE party's and dungeons.
    Even though the quests might be "Kill this x many times, kill that y many times* the rewards are worth it, its not like in Silkroad Online where you have to kill 500 Monsters to get 2% exp as a reward.

sealed~
    Currently on another server, my character has a quest to kill 70 mobs that would grant me 0.9%. I guess 156 monsters to get 2% is slightly better than 500 monsters though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    News flash, games (especially PW) aren't about PVE. They're about PVP. PVE is the filler in between pvp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • sealed
    edited August 2008
    senovit wrote: »
    My girlfriend hates me. Please go kill 20 wolves and report back.

P.S. I liked the jump quests. Those were nice and I wouldn't have minded more of them. There are also other types of quests you can do, like protect an npc for X amount of time (which is currently only in Godless Valley as part of a full scale dungeon) or the Werefox taming skill quest in which you have to lay traps and lure the deity beast into the middle of the trap (this could have been made so much better if the beast didn't auto spawn in the middle of the traps and just go away after a few seconds =.=). More of these and less of the "KILL EVERYTHIGN BLAGHAHRGH" would be better.

NO no no nooooo......
    First time I did the jump quests I got lost, and once I knew where the Chest is it took me hours trying to jump their, eventually I asked a girl to carry me up there:p

sealed~
  • ambushmartyr
    ambushmartyr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I think for a lot of these types of games the quests are basically all the same as far as kill x mob, fed-ex and so on. What really has me sorta bummed about PW atm is the **** distances you have to travel to get most of this stuff done! I understand theres mounts when ya hit 30? But jesus christ trying to get a quest done takes ages when all your doing is basically wasting time running back and forth a huge distance. Other thna this the game is rather freaking fun!

I think a lot of people who have a history of playing these types of games will agree with me that low levels is a ***** cause the real game starts close to or about at end game, or at least it should in soem aspects. But with every korean,chinese grinder you have to work past the **** parts to get to the good stuff. I know it sucks, but until they understand a game should be exciting form the get go till the end, thats sorta the way its gonna stay till they do.

With that said I want to try and persuade the OP to atleast give it a bit more time till you atleast get your mount, then see if it gets any better for you. I know it blows bro, but Im gonna hang in there for 30+ to see if it does as most of my friends say it starts getting really good after 30!

So stay, try to muddle through if possible to 30, maybe grab a good group to grind up to it and skip the quests? Not sure, anyway ya go at least try and see if it gets better, if not then I wish ya well in the future game ya find. I for one and having a blast but the distances in which Im having to run to is a bit ****, but Im going to tough it out till 30+ and see if what everyone says is true or not. But so far it hasnt been a total wash for me yet.
  • purified
    purified Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    quests give pretty nice amount of experience ( in % ratio),
    can group a party to do quest, and you can shared the quest mob kill with other people which means you can do quest 4 times faster if you group a 4 people party:)
    And...There will Be AOE skills in late game to have faster grinding too.

You must be soloing all the time I guess.

It worth a try in my humble opinion.
  • disco
    disco Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I think grinding for the first lvls is fun buecause you get to know the basics of the game. It's better to read the dialogues and get motivated by the story beyond the "go kill xx ammount of wolves" or whatever...
    You always get the option of partying or whatever to make the quest easier. The more ppl in a party, the more chances to get a quest completed fast and move forward. It's the first time I play this game and I don't know many things about it, so anyone can tell me when do u get the first "dungeon" or whatever it's called to explore?
    :)
    Omg my english kinda sux today xD
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    vem0m wrote: »
    Did this sound like an advertisement to anyone but myself?

Same to me. His "Detailed Opinion" spend more text about another game than PW...
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • disco
    disco Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    karmelia wrote: »
    Same to me. His "Detailed Opinion" spend more text about another game than PW...

Yeah instead of doing a comparison it was like "PW = grindfest (insert game here) is a lot of fun I play there my ign is (whatever) and I play everyday. Oh also (insert game again) is fun to and everyone stay tuned to the games that will be developed in 2030 because they will rock. PS: don't play pw"

LEAVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK! xD
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ren wrote: »
    News flash, games (especially PW) aren't about PVE. They're about PVP. PVE is the filler in between pvp.

New flash! Ren is obsessed about PvP and cannot think about anything else.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • warcreed
    warcreed Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I have a 102 Bishop in Rappelz. I dont't think there is a game that grinds harder then that game. I am beginning to think that all MMO are like this.
  • stickygreen
    stickygreen Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    this game is in no way a grind fest, it just take a while to level, u want a grind fest? sro is nothing, go play KAL, hit level 70, and then come talk ^_^
    IGN: StickyGreen
    Level: 6X
    Class:Barbarian

"Faith is the gap between logic and God"
  • palidore
    palidore Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    lipe124 wrote: »
    So like I said before, please give me some examples of mmo's where quests are NOT one of the following:

Kill X monnsters
    Bring X items to npc
    Deliver X item to X npc
    Kill X boss

Not the OP here obviously, but another mmo player who has played just about all the decent or popular ones. So yes, having played so many mmos over the years, I'm probably very spoiled by them and their quality, but I'll go on nonetheless.

While most mmos generally have the same core concept of quests such as "kill x creature x times," or "take this from point A to point B," at least other games do it interestingly. Guild Wars for instance followed specific and interesting stories. Age of Conan, though ultimately a flop of a game, had a fair share of engaging quests with creative stories as well as good voice acting. Runescape (yes, Runescape) features a lot of very interesting quests, all with very creative writing, unique characters, etc. The upcoming Warhammer Online offers "public quests," which is an unheard of and welcome feature to the mmo genre.

So the difference between Perfect World and the games mentioned above is that while they all use the same basic element of kill this, deliver this, collect that, the aforementioned games follow through with fun,new, and interesting approaches. Nearly every quest I've seen thus far in PW is exactly the same, with generic stories, dull characters, and tedious tasks.

Now that I've posted all that, believe it or not, I actually do enjoy PW so far as the (somewhat) free game that it is. It does have some of the best visuals to be seen in a free game as well as a fairly expansive world. It also features some welcome tools and concepts I haven't seen in many mmos such as the territory wars, a quest finding system, a coordinate system and of course the aerial action. The game is just lacking in quality in the questing/PVE deparment, as I've tried to explain in my post, although there is only so much to be expected from a (increasingly dated) free to play budget-title. For what we do get out of the game though, it's an overall fun and decent product.
  • june
    june Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Hmmm...

My quest log was more like:
    1) Defeat 10 mobs
    2) Defeat 10 mobs and go to talk to town Elder
    3) Go talk to Merchant, Blacksmith, Apothec
    ary, etc. to get novice armor
    4) Go talk to (someone in the fields) 6and defeat 10 mobs
    5) Defeat 5 + 5 mobs
    6) Gather Sandstone, Iron, Salvia, Log
    7) Defeat 10 mobs
    8) High point of city Jump quest
    etc.
    And later on there are boss quests, dungeon quests, party quests, and more gathering quests, and having to explore certain areas.

But I will admit, when I think that I really,really want "PVE", I think more of "Neverwinter Nights" which by default, story or campaign mode is very PVE, but it's not an mmo. I like online puzzle games too, which are highly "PVE."

I have tried the beta for Atlantica Online. It's true that is very PVE. ^_^" Very, very PVE. Quests start out like defeat 3 monster groups, but with 3-4 mobs in the starting groups, that actually turns out to be 10 also :P. You can control 9 characters, and can party with 2 other people to have 27 pc characters. Gameplay is time limited turn based. If Atlantica Online is like the minimal comparison for PVE, then I can understand why you feel PW is not PVE enough...

However, in terms of grindy MMOs out there, I find PW to be on the lesser grindy side.
    If someone who plays RF online and hates grind, then yes they will love PW maybe.
    But if someone who plays RF online loves grind, especially having to grind or afk level all their skills, then they will hate PW because there will be not enough grind and it will be too boring and not like obsessive compulsive enough.

Anywho, have fun with Atlantica Online. ^_~