Account Nickname rights for IGNs in Open Beta

Options
severan
severan Posts: 703 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
A humble request, Can we be given official rights to our forum / account nicknames to be our preferred IGN.

Example,
The ACcOuNT nickname / forum nickname = spiderman (the naming convention for the website is lowercasing alphanumeric only) so can you guys Bind this name to THAT account so that no one can use Spiderman / spiderman / SPIDERMAN as an IGN, except the owner of the account?

It's because I saw 2x Ryuuzaki (one with ryuuzaki) apparently one of them was a fake as he was swearing at people this obviously trashes the originality of any nick name in the game. Just imagine meeting someone with the same name as you but different casing or worse an xX<name here>Xx?!
That totally sucks.

My suggestion
You should have a Rule for naming, 1 st character should be alphabet and must be caps.
And account nicknames must be TIED to that account to prevent impersonation
Sever: Lost City
Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
Post edited by severan on

Comments

• ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I will agree with you that mixed-case copies of names should never be allowed. Obviously, nothing can be done if someone simply adds a number to the name, however being able to mix the caps to make a name acceptable is stupid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ragingwind wrote: »
    I will agree with you that mixed-case copies of names should never be allowed. Obviously, nothing can be done if someone simply adds a number to the name, however being able to mix the caps to make a name acceptable is stupid.

a number will clearly indicate he's a duplicate ^^
    it's the casing that worries me. Their website rocks, they allow only lowercase alphanumeric strings for forum and account nick names.

AS FOR IGNs
    would be nice if they restricted the 1st character to be ALPHABET and MUST BE UPPERCASE and TIED the account nickname to that account.
    we'll never have to worry about "impersonators"

remember this game is soon going to involve lots of $, they have some tight security against hacking... but "impersonation" and "scamming" are still left open and this is a HOLE!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • tatakairyu
    tatakairyu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I agree, mixed cases are really annoying. Not because they look bad but tons of people having the same name isn't cool and sometimes leads to misunderstandings.
  • djtav0
    djtav0 Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    thx for the info spiderman, now i'll try to make a char named spiderman as soon as OB starts :)
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    Options
    lol you are welcome ;)

well sadly my brother stole my name "Severan" in this closed Beta T__T i would sue him for it but he is blood u.u" http://www.severan.we.bs <-- official
    i'm using my other name Thonolan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• kyou
    kyou Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I always disliked the freedom to name your character with the first character being just about anything.
    The nicknames should start with a capital LETTER, as god given lol.

I am annoyed to try and contact someone through whisper with a name "23xxo55DDD"
    First you have to read that and not make an error... then remember it... then input it...

Seriously, all names should have a rule "start with a capital letter and for love of god, don't mix lower and upper case".
  • manorchid
    manorchid Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    yes, being able to change the case of a letter to form a "new" name is quite dumb.

oh and to the person that wrote that having upper and lower case letters in a name shouldn't be allowed: using upper and lowercase letters allows the namer to create a more graphically interesting name. not simply a name, but a truly identifying label. it makes things more interesting.
  • coot
    coot Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    aye, i vote in favor of this.

of course, you could always just create characters with all versions of your name, to 'reserve' those names... ive done this in other games
  • infusion
    infusion Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    manorchid wrote: »
    using upper and lowercase letters allows the namer to create a more graphically interesting name. not simply a name, but a truly identifying label. it makes things more interesting.

I loled.

That's like those people trying to be cool by TyPiNG LiKe ThIs...
  • desirai
    desirai Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    yes..

Names should be capital and not allow special characters.

and also preferably without numbers.

Where the hell is the originality, people?
  • kuailiang
    kuailiang Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I agree.

I've seen so many Naruto, Ichiigo and other famous characters + numbers, that's not even funny. Be original people, original! In the Closed Beta, I've already seen the dumbest of names -_-
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I say go one step farther and disallow numbers as part of the name as well. To me, it really takes away from the game to see five or ten people with the same "popular" name (e.g. Naruto, Narut0, N4rut0).
  • tinkus
    tinkus Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    desirai wrote: »
    yes..

Names should be capital and not allow special characters.

and also preferably without numbers.

Where the hell is the originality, people?

I know what you mean. I've seen at least one person walking around with kanji for a name.
  • manorchid
    manorchid Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    infusion wrote: »
    I loled.

That's like those people trying to be cool by TyPiNG LiKe ThIs...

not at all what i meant. >.<
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    A very large number of people had their forum names stolen by immature people, I seriously hope you guys make forum names bind an IGN to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    A very large number of people had their forum names stolen by immature people, I seriously hope you guys make forum names bind an IGN to you.

Yep, thats why my Forum name isnt my IGN:p

sealed~
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Would be nice if we got a straight "yes" or "no" from an admin...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • xanados
    xanados Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Always believed in the first come first serve basis, if you weren't online at this time when OB started, your fault if you missed out on the naming convention. If someone takes your name and abuses it, you can ask the admins to change out your forum name.
    Syndacus L. 31 Stoneman Protector - 1250 Patk
    Dingleberry L. 14 Marksman
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    It doesn't work that way, there are insane nolifers who register nicks because they stay up 24h and spam login server to be first.

Some people have lives, and much of this name stealing is quite blatantly malicious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I do have one Ryuuzaki character on Etherblade... guess someone else nabbed the others while I was in bed. /sigh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zoefox
    zoefox Posts: 225
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Too many people, all they do is make sure to get all the names everyone else wants.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    zoefox wrote: »
    Too many people, all they do is make sure to get all the names everyone else wants.

Naruto!!!!!!!
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • zoefox
    edited August 2008
    Options
    What's worse is that they never actually use the characters. They simply take all the names to be mean.
  • shadowsleeper
    shadowsleeper Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Does this mean that you dislike seeing small case and capital letters combined to make two words? For example: ShengLong.

It's slightly different to TyPInG LIkE thIs and sometimes its the only way to get a cool name to fit in properly. If there were more character spaces for names then it wouldn't be a problem to make everyone have to use a proper naming convention.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • infusion
    infusion Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Does this mean that you dislike seeing small case and capital letters combined to make two words? For example: ShengLong.

It's slightly different to TyPInG LIkE thIs and sometimes its the only way to get a cool name to fit in properly. If there were more character spaces for names then it wouldn't be a problem to make everyone have to use a proper naming convention.

which means they should do this:
    A. allow spaces or use underscores which display as spaces
    B. lengthen to 15-20 characters allowed
    C. only allow lower/upper (with first letter auto uppercase and auto uppercase after a space/underscore)
    D. bind forum name to IGN
  • anima
    anima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I don't use my favorites now ^^. Save it till the OB... It's sad that you can only use the alphabetical characters, but it is easier to PM someone that way.
    Find your own unique name is not easy ^^, and it is harder to save it.
    Why...so...serious?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    zoefox wrote: »
    What's worse is that they never actually use the characters. They simply take all the names to be mean.

I can verify this as I do it myself and know many others who do...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xanados
    xanados Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I to can verify the names I create when I make a new character. I know on Requiem when it came out people started creating mass amount of characters and taking the names. IAmGod being one of the names I took and same with Jesus, and no I'm not Christian or religious, but from time to time I'll play on it. Same goes for the ParisHilton account as well.
    Syndacus L. 31 Stoneman Protector - 1250 Patk
    Dingleberry L. 14 Marksman
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zoefox
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    I can verify this as I do it myself and know many others who do...

Why do you do it though? What is the point?
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    So I can laugh at people who add numbers or "xXxAzNd00dXx" type names?
    I had a good laugh at r3n's expense, although this is my usual forum name.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]