The Text Bug Post #1 (Editorial comment also included)

Options
kitfox
kitfox Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
This post is being written as I play Barbarian Horton and go hearing a Hu... over and over... Many many of them.

Okay, so let's start at the beginning. This is for the first few levels of barbarian experience (I know, I should get the data with a WF, er, VM, for better speed. Right... Sorry Horton, you've been demoted. You can hopefully avoid hearing a Hu later.)

If my point isn't clear above, the names need some serious help. Perhaps "Oddfot" is intentional and shouldn't actually be ""Oddfoot", however the sheer repetition of some of the names is a little ridiculous. I can understand that it's "realistic". It's being marketed as a fantasy game though. Perhaps the Chinese names are not a benefit to the US audience.

Technical details: Windowed screen, at 1600x900 resolution. The resolution can have an effect on text display, depending on the em of the font. However resolution changes have confirmed that the resolution does not actually have an effect on the text wrap issues.

Editorial comment:
VM's introductory text is... *twitch* Comma abuse in some cases, misuse of a word or two where others would work better... it's not pretty

One thing I notice is that all of the text boxes appear to be hard character wrap. This would explain why the MY-EN version has words split in twain. The downside is that while most things were done better in this version, there are still occasional situations where the results are off. The end of a line gets killed by the right side of the text box, or frequently a wholly-unnecessary space is inserted at the start of a line. This effect can be viewed on the creation screen with the VM info text.

The downside is that this artifact shows up so often that it would require it's own post to catalog all instances of it. I'll get back to that later.

Simple changes in word usage would improve the overall feel and professionalism of the game as a whole.

Example:
From the "New Player Tutorial" help item, direct quote:
"Tip: When there are many players around, if you hold Shift while you left-click an NPC it will avoid selecting other players." (Missing comma is in the game)

Example revision:
"Tip: When there are other players around an NPC, hold Shift while you left-click the NPC to avoid selecting the other players."

Even the Guide NPC's gossip text is rife with misuse of words. As one person said well, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

"The bountiful life of the Untamed has come to an end. We cannot take the invasion of the Wraith sitting down. The Elder is summoning Untamed warriors in the City of the Lost. You must go South to the city and visit our Elder."

The translation there strikes me as more of a concept (mis)translation from the original Chinese. Take the word "bountiful" for example. That directly states that their life is generous and liberal in bestowing gifts (on others). Take it in context: "A bountiful harvest" is a HARVEST that is generous and bestows gifts (of food) on the people.

The Wraith, from what I understand from lore of the game, is a group of evil spirits and gods trying to take over Perfect World. (Which brings up another concern... Give the place an actual name perhaps? I mean, sure, we named our planet "dirt", but at the same time, "Perfect World" also sounds like a mistranslation of a concept. Consider: Which sounds better in English as a name of a place: "Utopia" or "Perfect World"? Both effectively mean the same thing. The term "Utopia" was actually coined by an author who created the definition by his own writings.) Wraith by itself is simply a single ghost-type critter. A group would be deserving a better name.

The other issue is that upon showing this text to five people, all of them had the impression that the proper thing to do was to close the window and go see the Elder immediately.

Example revision, not changing any names of things or places:
"The fruitful life of the Untamed has been disrupted. We cannot allow the invasion of the Wraith to go unanswered. The Elder is summoning Untamed Warriors to the City of the Lost. We must make sure you are ready and send you to see him as soon as possible."

This fixes a few word misuses (Though not with prime words, just keeping the same general flow). More importantly, it tells the player directly that there are things to do here before running off.

This general idea is the pretty much what drives my editorial objections throughout the text. So I'll drop this post in and start the collection of actual bugs and errors.

One bug/error for this:
Lost City - Crafting Quests - Several of the quests are just labeled as "Step 1"
Post edited by kitfox on

Comments

• kitfox
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Quest text Error
    City of the Lost - NPC Untamed Veteran
    Quest: Offering Help
    Issue: Several dialog items in, PC replies "How horrible! Is there anything I can do to help?" NPC replies "It's good that you could help. Ah, that makes me feel better. Now, I can walk there again." leaving the PC with the option of "Okay". This is quest ENDING text, for after the Corpse Candles have been slaughtered, not for before.
  • kitfox
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Quest text error
    City of the Lost
    Pet Skill Trainer Hu (Yet another Hu)
    Quest "Your Pet"
    "Before you can summon a pet, you must first make sure you are able to ride the pet. ..."

Huh??? Just... What? I don't think that's saying what it thinks it's saying or intends to mean.
  • kitfox
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Okay, seriously...
    Pet Skill Trainer Hu
    Bookmerchant Hu
    Craftsman Hu
    Tailor Hu

Meh.

Quest Function Error
    City of the Lost
    PW Botique Agent (260,637)
    Two quests show up as "Unavailable Function"
  • zoefox
    zoefox Posts: 225
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kitfox wrote: »
    Okay, seriously...
    Pet Skill Trainer Hu
    Bookmerchant Hu
    Craftsman Hu
    Tailor Hu

Meh.

Quest Function Error
    City of the Lost
    PW Botique Agent (260,637)
    Two quests show up as "Unavailable Function"

If you actually try to do one of those quests, you get a dialog telling you the quests are not in the game yet. Its not a text error.I checked that.
  • kitfox
    edited August 2008
    Options
    With the Sharptooth Wolfling pet quest, the text claims "The Sharpwooth Wolfling I gave you starts out with a Loyalty of 100. ..."

The wolfling in fact starts with a Loyalty of 250.
  • kitfox
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Quest: Tailor Hu's quest to get "Emerald Embroidery Satin" claims "take these clothes" in the text but gives no items.
  • oimel
    oimel Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    if the inventory is full it isnt shown, like ur "unable to pick up".
  • djtav0
    djtav0 Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ok.. just give me something of what you've drunk.
  • kitfox
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Official end result:

I'll play this instead of MY-EN because A: It is SLIGHTLY better translated than MY-EN (I'm sorry... Pet Skill Trainer Garfield?... *twitch*) B: No lag. C: PvE servers.

Will I play it instead of WoW? Sometimes, but not as often. Too many Hu's and too little immersion.

Am I or my friends likely to pay for parts of it? Probably not. If I'm going to invest money in something, I need to feel better about the whole game, not just the pretty graphics.

Without some substantial improvements to the dialogs and overall text, it feels too much like a **** job of adding text to a good piece of graphical world. Get the text right, make it feel more professional, and I'll guarantee you'll grab a lot more people paying.
  • mei
    mei Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ... And just a random note on the whole Untamed: Barbarian / Venomancer thing ...

I still think MY's Werebeast / Werefox sounds better ... =\ Barbarian & VM have this negative connotation, making it seem as if characters with that race/either of those jobs are inherently evil or something. Maybe it's just me, though. >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]