First Impressions??

massamune
massamune Posts: 395 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
For me: It's not PW.

I can't deal with this naming ****. Squads and factions? What is this, some kind of fps? How is squad more palatable to westerners than party, which we're all used to from every other damn game we've played?

I mean it looks like PW, it runs like PW (still skill delay with 120 ping - as opposed to 350 on my-en), but no... it's not PW for me.

It feels like some cheap knockoff.
Post edited by massamune on

Comments

• elly
    elly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    please do take into account that this is Closed Beta and not the Final release, this period is to find any bugs or problems before the initial release of the game. if you find anything relevant that may be a bug or something that may need improving please post under the appropriate Forum Section. since there isn't a bugs reporting section per se. i'd post anything wrong that you find under the technical support forum.
  • tatakairyu
    tatakairyu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I don't see how changing a few names around would make it any less fun.
  • ambushmartyr
    ambushmartyr Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Your basically playing the MY version as this client has the exact same problems as the MY one does, with a few subtle changes. Then add to the fact the company never thought through the hundreds of thousands of western gamers who enjoy and try like hell to stay away form PK servers where guilds run and extort specific areas fo the game, keeping a lot of people from leveling or questing. Most PK guilds will even try to extort money from those in return to use "their" map or area. Really **** mechanic imo that was never a good idea considering it will never be truly fair for those 20 levels below the gankers who control the games areas and economys. But hey to each his/her own I suppose.

As for those saying "its cb to find bugs blah blah blah" this is the exact same client as MY, same problems and look how long that version hasnt been fixed! What makes you think this one is going to be any different?
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Your basically playing the MY version as this client has the exact same problems as the MY one does, with a few subtle changes. Then add to the fact the company never thought through the hundreds of thousands of western gamers who enjoy and try like hell to stay away form PK servers where guilds run and extort specific areas fo the game, keeping a lot of people from leveling or questing. Most PK guilds will even try to extort money from those in return to use "their" map or area. Really **** mechanic imo that was never a good idea considering it will never be truly fair for those 20 levels below the gankers who control the games areas and economys. But hey to each his/her own I suppose.

This statement is based on the assumption that we will have nothing but PvP servers, which is obviously false.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambushmartyr
    edited August 2008
    xarfox wrote: »
    This statement is based on the assumption that we will have nothing but PvP servers, which is obviously false.

I didnt say that, so please do not assume I said that. I was stating a fact not fiction about PK servers in general as you know this to be true.

Sure you will "eventually" have PVE servers, but it may be little to late considering you coulda saved a lot of players waiting around to play by stating that fact to start with dont ya think?

Personally by the time you do have PVE servers there will be 2 more CBs starting next week that will in fact have PVE servers, I doubt anyone will wait around any longer here as they feel they have wasted enough time due to poor communication to the community concerning the PK server only CB.
  • rev
    rev Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    It's not that you don't have PVE servers, it's that you decided NOT to use them in closed beta, so those who spend hours on this game will end up giving newer, or people who play less, a hard time, every purely PVP server I've played I end up a target when I DON'T wanna pvp and just quest, but I'm not complaining cause I do have 30 levels of which I can't be pked, this isn't the right place prolly but one bug I've noticed is this version does NOT like to minimize, even when changing resolution, anywhere I click AFTER the desktop shows, it goes back to desktop, I HAVE to restart the game to play again.
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

Phase 1 Dungeon Design Contest Winner!
    Entry: Hall of Forsaken Souls, Twas fun to design.
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I didnt say that, so please do not assume I said that. I was stating a fact not fiction about PK servers in general as you know this to be true.

Sure you will "eventually" have PVE servers, but it may be little to late considering you coulda saved a lot of players waiting around to play by stating that fact to start with dont ya think?

Personally by the time you do have PVE servers there will be 2 more CBs starting next week that will in fact have PVE servers, I doubt anyone will wait around any longer here as they feel they have wasted enough time due to poor communication to the community concerning the PK server only CB.

It's very unfortunate that you feel that way. In any case, we will have PvE servers up at the end of this phase of beta. Whether or not you decide to play on them is ultimately up to you. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambushmartyr
    edited August 2008
    rev wrote: »
    It's not that you don't have PVE servers, it's that you decided NOT to use them in closed beta, so those who spend hours on this game will end up giving newer, or people who play less, a hard time, every purely PVP server I've played I end up a target when I DON'T wanna pvp and just quest, but I'm not complaining cause I do have 30 levels of which I can't be pked, this isn't the right place prolly but one bug I've noticed is this version does NOT like to minimize, even when changing resolution, anywhere I click AFTER the desktop shows, it goes back to desktop, I HAVE to restart the game to play again.

That bug you are mentioning is in fact a bug thats been apart of the MY client for a few months now and from what I know is still not fixed. So basically your playing the MY client with small subtle changes and pretty much the same bugs the MY client has.
  • ambushmartyr
    edited August 2008
    It's very unfortunate that you feel that way. In any case, we will have PvE servers up at the end of this phase of beta. Whether or not you decide to play on them is ultimately up to you. ;)

Well I wont hang around and waste anymore of your time like mine was. Good luck, and hopefully you guys will improve the service and communication with the client base in the future to ensure the game will be here for at minimum 1 year, but as Ive seen with the client its basically yhe same client MY has had forever with still no bug fixes.

Out....
  • severan
    severan Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i don't see the point in "WHAT way a PvE server" will be usefull in Closed Beta!
    i think it's good there's no PvE server, all those who made "high and mighty" comments here in the forum, would get a taste of the real deal.
    stop being a carebear and stop crying. All data will be deleted after 1 month, so just give pvp a shot, who knows it might bring out the monster in you... maybe you're not a carebear, but just been spineless so far to try pvp.

moreover this is CLOSED BETA! not the official release, playing on pvp server helps bring out most of the bugs.
    PvE = pure waste of time and bandwidth.

p.s. EVEryone is level 1 now, if you can keep up, i don't think pvp will be that bad
    Sever: Lost City
    Making players RageQuit since 2004

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello, You have reached Severan on The RQ carebear's automated phone system
    To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • june
    june Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    That bug you are mentioning is in fact a bug thats been apart of the MY client for a few months now and from what I know is still not fixed. So basically your playing the MY client with small subtle changes and pretty much the same bugs the MY client has.

I've never has this problem, but it's because I've always had East Asian language pack installed. East Asian language pack under Control Panel->Regions and Languages->East Asian language pack. Under Vista it's a little different, but basically the same...

I really like this version a lot so far!
  • elly
    elly Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Well i've been playing for afew minutes and so far I LOVE the new Font for levelup and item collection, the game does not suffer bad latency as mentioned earlier my screen was full of people possibly 40+ and there was no slowdown at all. I can definately say i will gladly call PWI home when it finally is released fully, till then onwards with the CBT :)
    I just have one question, the visuals look more smooth and stunning than previous versions and even runs better than they do, have there been any modifications? it's absolutely fabulous! either way.
  • esc0rz
    esc0rz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I love how people swear as though they're paying for this. XD

I also love how people can't seem to get passed the whole CLOSED BETA name.

Oh dear, how I loathe people...
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    severan wrote: »
    PvE = pure waste of time and bandwidth.

For you. Not for everyone. Personally this is low on my list of priorities, but some people feel strongly about it so have a bit of respect for differing tastes.

The simple conclusion is PWE doesn't want us to use the pve servers. They think they'll generate less revenue (and they may be right in that.) Taking this into account makes their decision to omit them from CB perfectly logical, force everyone to get used to pvp in the hopes that they'll reroll on those servers in OB. It's all about money, no mmo host has ever done anything that wasn't about money.

As for the naming of things, yes it really really bugs me. PW IS NOT A FACTION BASED GAME. Calling the races factions implies they fight each other, are rivals of each other, and it's pure bs. This is a GvG game, not a faction based game.

Calling parties squads makes it sound like an mmofps, which PW certainly is not. It's a military term that is totally inappropriate for the kinds of parties made in PW. It's stupid too.

These are just two examples, I could write a bloody list and that's just what I saw in the first half an hour.

The astounding thing is the game doesn't feel any more responsive than MY-EN does, even with a much better ping. This leads me to believe it's a limitation of the client more than anything, or the way data is transferred between it and the server.

For me, going back to MY-EN is not an option. I no longer have my accounts there, and even if I did I wouldn't give another dime to those horribly corrupt, greedy lil Malaysians that run it.

I guess I'm just done with PW. It's a fantastic game that will be forever doomed to the fringes (compared to the big name mmos) due to management decisions (or lack thereof in some versions) and a poor client that doesn't perform well.
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    hey can someone post SS of the game now?
    like all the hair styles (male chars) and in game stuff

i'm at work cant log into the game for a good 10+ hrs

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

To tell me I've got no life and I live in my mom's basement, press 1. To tell me that you are logging on your level 90 character to kick the **** out of me, press 2. To tell me that your friend is a GM and you're getting me banned, press 3. To tell me RQ is going to fail and talk more **** about RunQuick press 4. If none of these options fit your need please hold the line for idiot assistance, they will be with you shortly...
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    It looks identical to MY-EN graphically.
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    massamune wrote: »
    For you. Not for everyone. Personally this is low on my list of priorities, but some people feel strongly about it so have a bit of respect for differing tastes.

The simple conclusion is PWE doesn't want us to use the pve servers. They think they'll generate less revenue (and they may be right in that.) Taking this into account makes their decision to omit them from CB perfectly logical, force everyone to get used to pvp in the hopes that they'll reroll on those servers in OB. It's all about money, no mmo host has ever done anything that wasn't about money.

As for the naming of things, yes it really really bugs me. PW IS NOT A FACTION BASED GAME. Calling the races factions implies they fight each other, are rivals of each other, and it's pure bs. This is a GvG game, not a faction based game.

Calling parties squads makes it sound like an mmofps, which PW certainly is not. It's a military term that is totally inappropriate for the kinds of parties made in PW. It's stupid too.

These are just two examples, I could write a bloody list and that's just what I saw in the first half an hour.

The astounding thing is the game doesn't feel any more responsive than MY-EN does, even with a much better ping. This leads me to believe it's a limitation of the client more than anything, or the way data is transferred between it and the server.

For me, going back to MY-EN is not an option. I no longer have my accounts there, and even if I did I wouldn't give another dime to those horribly corrupt, greedy lil Malaysians that run it.

I guess I'm just done with PW. It's a fantastic game that will be forever doomed to the fringes (compared to the big name mmos) due to management decisions (or lack thereof in some versions) and a poor client that doesn't perform well.

dude this is closed beta...
    i don't see why and how PvE would help here.

i'll state it like this
    PVP has everything PVE has and it comes with the PVP function which PVE lacks (well the general hostile mode) this is closed beta, which means they want to test the gamefeature with minimum resources.

Hence PVP = savings for now. Xarfox also stated that Closed Beta will not be live for 1 month, it could even be 1 week or just a few days.

Be patient, they're a company who've come this far, if they had no regards for pve they'd have stated it long ago. someone asks you to stay patient i'd advise you to listen to them for once and not spam the forum with carebear crying post about pve.

just play pvp for now or wait till open beta.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• tatakairyu
    edited August 2008

i'll state it like this
    PVP has everything PVE has and it comes with the PVP function which PVE lacks (well the general hostile mode) this is closed beta, which means they want to test the gamefeature with minimum resources.

Hence PVP = savings for now. Xarfox also stated that Closed Beta will not be live for 1 month, it could even be 1 week or just a few days.

Be patient, they're a company who've come this far, if they had no regards for pve they'd have stated it long ago. someone asks you to stay patient i'd advise you to listen to them for once and not spam the forum with carebear crying post about pve.

QFT. lol'd at the carebear thing.
  • aruzo
    aruzo Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    tatakairyu wrote: »
    QFT. lol'd at the carebear thing.
    LMFAO xDDDD
    IGN: aruzo (EC)
    IGN: hide (WR)
    xfire: aruzo
  • massamune
    edited August 2008

i'll state it like this

You didn't even read my damn post before spouting more garbage. I said I don't care about that, others do, NOT ME. Get it through your head.

9/10 of my post wasn't even about that, and my OP in this topic didn't even mention it.

I just said you should have some respect for those that do feel strongly about it, not that I was one of them.

Sheesh.
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    You didn't even read my damn post before spouting more garbage. .
    ^^ you got that right hahaha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    For you. Not for everyone.

Personally I respect the fact that you're entitled to your own opinion, but just as you said not everyone might be annoyed by what annoys you. Obviously the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Personally what would annoy me are the mob names, lame npc names and really boring quest chat. Those seem more important to me and I think it would be the same for most gamers especially the quest relevant one.

I'll take a while to cast judgment
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    ^^ you got that right hahaha

Your argument against the inclusion of a PVE server is wrong anyway. It isn't a case of a PWE server lacking anything in comparison to a forced PVP server. The PVE server has an EXTRA function that if they cared about testing they would have included. This way how will they know before OB if there's ways (like in other games) to glitch it and kill people with the PVP switch off?
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    Your argument against the inclusion of a PVE server is wrong anyway. It isn't a case of a PWE server lacking anything in comparison to a forced PVP server. The PVE server has an EXTRA function that if they cared about testing they would have included. This way how will they know before OB if there's ways (like in other games) to glitch it and kill people with the PVP switch off?
    default assumption, players in pve are carebears
    which brings us to another, they wont pvp.

- end of story -

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• wabbitt
    wabbitt Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    PK servers where guilds run and extort specific areas fo the game, keeping a lot of people from leveling or questing. Most PK guilds will even try to extort money from those in return to use "their" map or area.

PW-MY servers definitly had problems which I blame the open-pk system for, but I levelled a character to 80 without encountering what you describe here. I guess its possible, but it would be very painful and (I imagine) unprofitable trying to keep a large area clear of levellers 24/7.
  • reser
    reser Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2008

Famous last words. Wow the gms here are pretty obnoxious..

These servers will be pretty dead before closed beta finishes if you dont listen to your players.
  • massamune
    edited August 2008
    reser wrote: »
    Famous last words. Wow the gms here are pretty obnoxious..

Just one, so far.
  • tatakairyu
    edited August 2008
    Same can be said about a lot of us, including me.
  • severan
    edited August 2008
    NO PVE OKAY! now shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    here's the announcement and REASON
    xarfox wrote:
    There will not be a PvE server during this phase of beta. My apologies to all of you who desire to play on PvE server. We want the to test the size limitations of the two servers that are currently up. Adding more servers would simply thin out the population and disrupt our stress test.

PvE servers will be up at the end of this phase of beta.
    carebears go to pvp or go to sleep.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• reser
    reser Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    NO PVE OKAY! now shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    here's the announcement and REASON

carebears go to pvp or go to sleep.

ok if it is to test capacity of the two servers then WHY are both of them PVP that does not explain why they did not do 1 PVE and 1 PVP like any normal SANE compony would do. or make them BOTH PVE, since I am pretty sure most people wanted PVE.