Why...?

yumi
yumi Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2011 in Venomancer
Did they find it necessary to change the name of we warefox's to Venomancer...WTF? I was quite happy being known as a warefox. Why does America have to change whats already in English? OMG.....I guess I'll get used to it or stick to my Malaysia server. lol :confused:
Post edited by yumi on

Comments

• hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Well, this is a different company, it has different translators. Venomancer wasn't the only name changed, all of them were. The name of the skills, items will also be changed.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Chinese name
    Malaysian Translator
    > Werefox
    |
    |
    |
    US translator
    > Venomancer

The two are independent of each other. US version didn't "change" Malaysia's translation of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • yumi
    yumi Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Its definitely gonna be hard to get used to the changes. I'll probably end up sticking to the malaysian server though. I love love love the people on it. They're just so nice and helpful.
  • novalee
    novalee Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i got my WF to lvl 50 before I couldnt take it anymore. I had 3 pets to lvl and I was constantly forced to grind to keep them up to my lvl. Makes me feel like im babysitting...its too annoying and tedious for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and Devil May Cry:p
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Most of the class names weren't even translated, they just gave made made up names for the translation, at least malaysians made it make sense. Because a lot of the class names are either made up, or based on chinese myth or something.

Yao jing doesn't translate to werefox OR venomancer. A chinese friend did say that elf doesn't exist in chinese, but could be called yao jing. but that's not really helping here lawl
    yao shou doesn't translate to werebeast or barbarian.
    yu ling doesn't translate to "elf priest" or "cleric", but yu can mean "wings" I guess...
    yu mang doesn't translate to "archer"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • c453m4573r
    c453m4573r Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    novalee wrote: »
    i got my WF to lvl 50 before I couldnt take it anymore. I had 3 pets to lvl and I was constantly forced to grind to keep them up to my lvl. Makes me feel like im babysitting...its too annoying and tedious for me.

I felt the same way getting mine to level 46. I actually had four main pets. So it just got a little annoying.

I think that although they are called venomancers now, I will continue to call them WF.
  • dragon
    dragon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    bc the other name is takin :p
  • hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Yao Jing means Goblin afaik.
  • pixiewink
    pixiewink Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    My question.... Does it really matter all that much what its called?

True we have to relearn the names but thats ok.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mirbeau
    mirbeau Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    pixiewink wrote: »
    My question.... Does it really matter all that much what its called?

True we have to relearn the names but thats ok.

I don't think anyone minds relearning names etc... the problem is more that venomancer means nothing to anyone here (and sounds rubbish IMO), whereas werefox was both cool sounding and pretty descriptive.
  • bike
    bike Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Could be anything from a copyright issue to wanting to stand out from other versions.
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I think I agree with mirbeau. The others got a cool name, and WF didn't. The name means absolutely nothing to most people.

People will probably play one thinking it's a Necromancer that also poisons things, only to be dissapointed that she doesn't get an actual poison move until late, and the pets are not undead in the slightest. The name just doesn't fit the class because it doesn't describe it like the other names.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Fallingshado - Raging Tide
    Fallingshado - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    WF sounds cool, I know this may be noobish in saying this but... I used to think that the venomancer was a necromancer. But when I found that it wasn't.. I was just a bit upset.. until I found out it could turn into a fox. Then I was hooked. And they might(In the future) put a bit of pets that at least look a bit undead.
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    You shouldn't necro... but there are a few pets that look undead (the dark wanderer looks like a nazgul, then there's the headless series, a few of which are tameable.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga