Data4.pck Corrupted

Options
kaiser
kaiser Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2009 in Support Desk
I've looked over the forums on this, and everyone seems to say that you need to re-download the game over again or update your unzipping programs.

I've used both Winzip and 7zip fully updated, and no matter what it says, the data pack is still corrupted. I've tried downloading the torrent. however. with a Download speed of 0.1kpbs, I'm quite certain that its a waste of my time to even try.

Re-downloading the game right now, but quite frankly, i'm really not looking forward to yet -another- two hour wait for the file to complete downloading again.

(addendum) Actually, the fileshack download corrupted itself and didn't download the game all the way, leaving me with 177 MB zip file that is completely USELESS.

Isn't there any way I can just get the Data4.pck by itself? because quite honestly, I'm not too impressed with the multitude of issues involving corrupted files.
Post edited by kaiser on

Comments

• espionis
    espionis Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ummmerrruhh........

I suggested this on another thread, but I have no idea if it's the same problem.

Once you finish downloading, create a *NEW* folder, and drag/move all the materials inside your PW folder INTO the new folder, and try installing there. If this isn't what you mean, I'm deeply sorry. Gl with your problem! Also, please post if it fixed it or not lol.
  • ryuuzaki
    ryuuzaki Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    There's two alternate methods available here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=12401
    (one is the same as above).

Otherwise... trying the latest WinRAR is a lot better than a whole new client download.

You are extracting the files first, right? Not just running the install program from within the archive...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaiser
    edited August 2008
    Options
    No. it doesn't work. As i've been trying to say, a SINGLE FILE keeps **** me over. And every time i try to use 7 zip or WinRar, it keeps on **** up that file. I tried extracting the file the way you have said as well, and it wont work.

CORRUPTED means that the file is no longer capable of being used. something is wrong with it, hence why I was looking for a Data4.pck by itself, to completely bypass the issue entirely.

Why bother downloading the damn thing all over again *twitches* when all I need is that single file? (from what I can tell, the blasted unzipping stops every time it comes against htat file)

EDIT: you know....for a game that's supposed to be unveiling itself internationally, I am sensing that if they can't even make it capable of being unzipped without error, then what are the odds of the translations being done properly, or other issues made? Then again...i'm half tempted to blame this **** on the VISTA OS i have....
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Options
    And people who have been having exactly the same error have all found success by trying those methods. Yes, even when it says the file is corrupted. I've yet to see a single case where the files actually were corrupted, and it wasn't just an outdated decompression utility unable to handle it.

In any case, there's the other alternative method of renaming the zip file, pointing a torrent program to it, 'downloading' the torrent (which should be identical to what you already have, so is already at 100%) and using the bit torrent's error checking capabilities to verify the integrity of the files against the seeds/parts of everyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaiser
    edited August 2008
    Options
    that still doesn't resolve the issue that the files themselves are problematic. Do you actually think that if this happened to (oh I hate myself for saying this) World of Warcraft when it first launched, that they would be forgiven for such a thing on a premiere night?

Doubtful.

The issue is there, and while the players themselves are the ones that need to fix it, it is highly advised that they make a revision of the file if it is causing so much trouble to counteract this problem.

Update: I've tried the other methods. Still no luck.
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Options
    That's what I was trying to explain. The files aren't necessarily problematic at all - it's just the software you're using to extract them THINKS they are. As can be seen by the multitudes of people who have been successfully able to install the program without having to download the game client again, and having had the same issues as you.

I'm trying to give you alternative ways to get around this error so that you don't have to do another massive download, that may not even do you any good.

If all other methods of extracting and error-checking fail, I can upload that datapack for you. However, upon installing the game, I deleted my installation folder and zip file. I'm currently at 72% with a fresh download.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaiser
    edited August 2008
    Options
    My persistance is merely due to my short temper. I apologise if i'm causing you any duress over this, but I just hate it when a simple problem like this can get the better of me. In any event, it seems that 7zip and WinRar do not wish to work for it. I tried re-naming the folder, and then click-dragging them into another new folder to extract. so far...no luck. Winrar says Data4.pck is corrupted, 7zip says File is broken.

Is there something i'm not getting here? *facedesks*

Checklist of things done:
    -Downloaded program
    -Attempted to use WinRar to unzip: Stated Data4.pck was corrupted.
    -Updated WinRar, Attempted unzipping: Same issue
    -Downloaded 7-zip, attempted unzipping: Data4.pck was 'broken'
    -Attempted to use Torrent to check file integrity: It merely attempted to redownload the File after checking it all.
    -Re-named Zip file
    -Attempted once more to unzip by click-dragging into new folder :No luck.

Is it safe to blame windows vista yet? v.v
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I think it's time they used a self-extracting 7z archive and ditched the zip so this nonstop thread flooding can stop...
    edit: or at least put a guide on extracting it/using the md5 hash on the download page, but I don't think that will help rofl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • kaiser
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »
    I think it's time they used a self-extracting 7z archive and ditched the zip so this nonstop thread flooding can stop...

Oi Oi, if you're here to criticize the fact I can't install the game, perhaps you'd better take it to tells, like a mature being.
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    kaiser wrote: »
    Oi Oi, if you're here to criticize the fact I can't install the game, perhaps you'd better take it to tells, like a mature being.

It's not just you, it's everyone. I'm curious what the hell they did to make such a bugged up zip. At least self extracting archives don't spawn about 50 threads...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • kaiser
    edited August 2008
    Options
    True enough. i've seen some pretty bad attempts at install files before. (well, not really) but this is the first one that i've ever seen where the files themselves are not capable of being extracted through any normal method. At least, without having to jump through flaming hoops to get it done.

The one main reason why i'm so eager to play, is because i made a promise with a brother of mine, that we'd meet up on the game and establish a clan together. probably RP setting too...
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Options
    This does seem like the first case where it might actually be a corrupted file. (Lucky you!) Especially if the torrent started re-downloading. =\

I'll try to get datapack4 up on Filefront or something tomorrow. If memory serves, it's about 500 megs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaiser
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ryuuzaki wrote: »
    This does seem like the first case where it might actually be a corrupted file. (Lucky you!) Especially if the torrent started re-downloading. =\

I'll try to get datapack4 up on Filefront or something tomorrow. If memory serves, it's about 500 megs.

Hahahahah! You know, that kind of eases my burden, knowing that its actually an issue, and not me being crappy at dealing with problems.

500 megs? Bah...that's nothing. though i'll have to go through my HD and delete the 8 unzipped versions of the game now, just to be safe...
  • deathcrazy16
    deathcrazy16 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Its really annoying when you download the game from Gamershell, Fileplanet, mmosite, Torrent, and it says corrupted or broken file i get to installing it then it says data read error.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • extacious
    extacious Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    yeah it really is, i had the same problem but i was able to fix it using uTorrent method
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ALL HAIL TORRENTS!!! :D
    No, seriously, that's why i love torrents and hate direct downloads.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Alright Kaiser, I've zipped up Data4.pck and I'm uploading to a FileFront account right now. Should be ready for download in around 30 minutes. I'll edit this post with the link when it's done.

FYI, I re-zipped with the latest 7-Zip client, normal compression, default settings. There shouldn't be anything that would cause a problem with it. :)

Edit: here you go, data4.pck - http://files.filefront.com/data4zip/;11517693;/fileinfo.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • carbnbones
    carbnbones Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Hi,

I've had the same problems with data4, thanks for posting it on filefront, I'm downloading it now.....

...downloaded, unzipped and copied into directory with no problems. Also have now installed and verified, all ok.
  • c453m4573r
    c453m4573r Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    carbnbones wrote: »
    Hi,

I've had the same problems with data4, thanks for posting it on filefront, I'm downloading it now.....

...downloaded, unzipped and copied into directory with no problems. Also have now installed and verified, all ok.

I've been having the same problem. And I hope this works as well.
    *sigh* I just hope this won't lead to the excess service problems we had in MY EN.

Edit: Hey. It worked. Thanks ryuuzaki! I wanna be just like you when I grow up!!
  • coldvictim
    coldvictim Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    same situation here only i have a 10 meg speed so i downloaded it 4 times doing everything possible in different ways to get it to work and nothing....so im relieved to know im not overlooking some stupid bs that causing this as i am a good troubleshooter. I will try the 500meg data4.pck u posted to see if it fixes this issue.
  • coldvictim
    coldvictim Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    coldvictim wrote: »
    same situation here only i have a 10 meg speed so i downloaded it 4 times doing everything possible in different ways to get it to work and nothing....so im relieved to know im not overlooking some stupid bs that causing this as i am a good troubleshooter. I will try the 500meg data4.pck u posted to see if it fixes this issue.

Thanx for adding the file for us it works flawlessly with all verified im ready for it to start now so its confirmed.let them know something wrong with their client download laf.
  • yoafro
    yoafro Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Ryuuzaki, you are a god amongst men.

Thankfully, I wasn't the only one having this issue. The last thing I needed after a funeral and a cubic ****-load of hours on the road was to come home, d/l this game, attempt to extract, and... fail... with no recourse but to re-d/l the entire thing, only to find that they all fail.

• rzx
    rzx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ryu, thank you very much for uping that to ff. i had the same problem as these folks with a corrupted data4.
  • kammie
    kammie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    this problem can only be caused by a non-completed download or non-completed upload to the mirrors, if more people are having the same problem and they all downloaded from the same mirror, then clearly it is the mirrors fault, so it might be worthwhile to check it up
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryuuzaki
    edited August 2008
    Options
    It's not all the same mirror, though. Plus an incomplete upload/download would make the entire archive unreadable, not just one file within it. ;)

And that's far more troublesome. >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kammie
    kammie Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    not really, winrar will still try to read what is possible but only error the file within the archive that is corrupted, it will unrar to about 99% completion after 10 minutes and error u off :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • savior
    savior Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    thanks for uploading the data4.
    i had the same error as the other guys had, 3 hours left untill server gets on woot go go download ;)
  • skuallpw
    skuallpw Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ryuuzaki wrote: »
    alright Kaiser, I've Zipped Up Data4.pck And I'm Uploading To A Filefront Account Right Now. Should Be Ready For Download In Around 30 Minutes. I'll Edit This Post With The Link When It's Done.

Fyi, I Re-zipped With The Latest 7-zip Client, Normal Compression, Default Settings. There shouldn't Be Anything That Would Cause A Problem With It. :)

Edit: Here You Go, Data4.pck - http://files.filefront.com/data4zip/;11517693;/fileinfo.html

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You
  • wyatterp
    wyatterp Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Wow thanks a lot! I was having the problem too, drinks on me Woohooo
  • emko
    emko Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    hmm, same thing happened to me , i downloaded first from the GameShack mirror , and it was corrupt , so i downloaded from another mirror and it works fine now
This discussion has been closed.